What are you listening to?

I found this artist recently, her music is so relaxing and had been a balsam while being at work, and ended up loving it, she has several Faraose (to which I do not understand it), from time to time, I read the translation and dwell in with my senses, trying to catch what she is trasmiting.

Eivør - Verð Mín

https://youtu.be/4_FIwLoIHBY

Fríða náttin er ein eimur / The beautiful night is glowing ashes
Stjørnugrús, nú vaknar heimur / In a mass of stars the world awakes
Nakin standi eg / Naked I stand Eina her.
Alone on this spot Maður vakur men so styggur / A man so fine but so timid
Nærkast varisliga, hyggur / Warily approaches, watches
Taradimt er hár / His hair as dark as seaweed,
Tinnuhúð. / his skin as fair as chrystalline stone.
Verð mín,
Be mine Verð mín,
Be mine Verð mín.
Be mine, my world.
Undan fert tú eftir hæli / You back away Bangin
, stundar eftir sælu / Frightened, longing for bliss
Tøld eg fylgi tær / Seduced I follow you
Verð hjá mær. / Stay with me.
Nærkast hav og himmalrendur / Sea and sky intertwine at the brims
Kveiktar skelva tínar hendur / Aroused your hands shiver
Til tín komi inn / I enter your space
Nem við meg. / Feel who I am.
Verð mín, / Be mine
Verð mín, / Be mine
Verð mín. / Be mine, my world.
Skrínið læsti, lykil fjaldi / Locked the chest, hid the key
Signaði ímóti galdri / Sanctified it against sorcery
Maður er mítt hav / The man is now my sea
Nátt er av. / The night is no more.
Tokkabundin hann meg fevnir / Spellbound he embraces me
Nevnir meg ein eydnulut / I become his talisman
Farin eru øll / Everyone has left
Einsamøll. / And I am alone.
Verð mín, / Be mine
Verð mín, / Be mine
Verð mín. / Be mine, my world.
Mín ham mítt hylki / My skin, my capsule
Eg sakni tað ikki, / I do not miss it
Ein ham eitt hylki / My skin, my capsule
Eg gloymi tað ikki. / I will never forget it.

This one in english, is lovely too
This other one is in english [embed]

I am an old dude and I have trouble understanding some of the heavy metal stuff. Tool is for me a little monotonous in some respects but I can appreciate the nerdy technical skills involved in the guitar parts. I just like more melodic music but that is me and not everyone has the same musical tastes here. I am trying to learn what it is that draws us to a certain genre of music. I think every generation wants to create its own style as a form of breaking away from the nest so to speak. How we can put all that together and still arrive at some unifying "style" I really am not sure but here is one guitar teacher's explanation of the Tool guitarist's (Adam Jones) method:

I am an old dude and I have trouble understanding some of the heavy metal stuff. Tool is for me a little monotonous in some respects but I can appreciate the nerdy technical skills involved in the guitar parts. I just like more melodic music but that is me and not everyone has the same musical tastes here. I am trying to learn what it is that draws us to a certain genre of music. I think every generation wants to create its own style as a form of breaking away from the nest so to speak. How we can put all that together and still arrive at some unifying "style" I really am not sure but here is one guitar teacher's explanation of the Tool guitarist's (Adam Jones) method:

Interesting stuff, goyacobol. When I listen to heavy metal, to me it is percussive based, not really melody based. It almost sounds like you have 4 or 5 drummers on the stage. And looking at the breakdown of Jones' technique, it looks like that is what he is trying to accomplish.

All that percussion can create a powerful sound, but also can be quite dissociative because of the use of odd time signatures. IMO.

here is one guitar teacher's explanation of the Tool guitarist's (Adam Jones) method:

Awesome video, thanks goyacobol, great explanation of how Adam plays that riff!!!

I have to admit, Tool is probably the only heavy band I still listen to. Grew up on metal, but have since expanded my horizons to become pretty eclectic when it comes to music. I think Tool are still on my playlist because they are pretty unique and a musician I can appreciate the skill that goes into making these songs!

Here is the song from the video above in case anyone is interested

songs are instrumental only and they're great musicians. songs are longer as they build up the sounds. listen with headphones to catch it all ☺️

This is a two part musical work by Australian duo called Dead Can Dance. They are like inspired antiquarians, I only discovered them in 2010 but they've been making albums since the 80's. I love them, really varied work over the years.

This two part suite is called Dionysus.

And part 2.

The album is well worth picking up in my opinion.:-)

Back
Top Bottom