What's the weather where you are?

It's been raining and hailing on a daily basis in Spain, along with thunderstorms and power outages. The forecasts are not promising either.

Same here in London, UK. After a lovely a heatwave of mid to late 20ies Celsius (or 75-82 Fahrenheit) earlier this month, storms started last weekend. It's raining really heavily at the moment with thunderstorms, lightnings and hale. Luckily, no power outages so far.

Northern Italy, it is raining and hailing at least a couple of times a week for almost 2 months now, no exaggeration. In respect to last year's same period it is much colder and rainy, i'm curious to see how the summer will enfold this year, it sure started interestingly.

Reactions: Ca.
Oslo City a very unusual days of strong heat for a Scandinavian country. Temperatures range between 20 and 30 degrees!
Denmark is hot too. May came out with an average temperature of 15.0 degrees Celsius, or 1.2 degrees warmer that the the second most warm May that occured in 1889. The record for most hours of Sun for any month of the year was taken by this month too. 363 hours versus 347 hours, which was the old record from 2008, and measurements have been going on since 1920.

Oslo City a very unusual days of strong heat for a Scandinavian country. Temperatures range between 20 and 30 degrees!
Trying to find out what is happening with the weather in western Europe, I looked at a map of pressure systems around the world. Often low pressure systems form west of Iceland and then they move towards the UK. These days a surprisingly stable high pressure system has established itself East of Iceland. This helps to give low pressure systems from the Atlantic either a Northern route along the west coast of Greenland or a more southern route through Central Europe. Dry weather is expected in many parts of Scandinavia and Northern areas of the UK for the next few days. I wrote dry weather and not good weather, because with this kind of Sun several farmers in Scandinavia can expect lower yields. Not only lowers yields, in parts of Denmark, half of the harvest may get lost according to Tørken sender sorte skyer over landbruget: Kan koste halvdelen af høsten While it is too early to know if this will happen, there is no reason not to point out the possible consequences. As many farmers have huge debts, they may face situations where they can not service these. Some in Europe may have lot of rain, but as long as food production is not seriously affected, it is still alright.

For maps with pressure systems see: Weather maps - World

Our region, west of Ukraine is consistently missing all the crazy weather in Europe the announcers on TV are talking about. Sweltering heat is what we get on a consistent basis, set onto 'almost summer strength'. Can't work/can't concentrate in this weather, so I was again forced to switch on the Atmo AC, consistently, about six times by now, since the pre-summer hotness started in May.

According to severeweather site two SuperCells were on the rampage in Slovenia/Croatia border area. Over Split The Skies were over electrified too last night with some kind of plasma commotion all over the clouds. After one particularly intense discharge the whole local area lost power (Yeah:-[!). The only light was coming from some ship in Northern Cargo Port Nearby. Talkin' 'bout Surreal :wow:

More photos: POGLEDAJTE KAKVU JE ŠTETU PROUZROČILA TUČA VELIČINE TENISKE LOPTICE: Uz granicu su se stvorile dvije intenzivne superćelije

:bye:

Attachments

• Hail.jpg
    Hail.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3

[B]Keraunos[/B]‏Verified account @[B]KeraunosObs[/B]
https://twitter.com/KeraunosObs/status/1006285642840584192
Il est tombé à cette heure 64.3 mm de pluie à #Orly, nouveau record mensuel de pluie en 24h et l'équivalent de plus d'un mois de pluie. Ancien record le 17 juin 1970 où il était tombé 44.6 mm en 24h. #orage

DfcLV4xXUAAO9h_.png

The Netherlands is already plagued by unusually early mosquito swarms and has to brace itself for a stingy summer due to weather changes:

Warm, wet spring brings with it a plague of mosquitoes - DutchNews.nl

June 13, 2018
The hot spring and the heavy rains of recent weeks mean mosquitoes have been hatching earlier than normal, according to researchers at Wageningen University.

The first generation of new mosquitoes usually get to work around the end of June, but the warm weather meant they were already biting at the end of May. Now the second generation is about to emerge, says Arnold van Vliet of the university’s mosquito radar website Muggenrader.nl.

It normally takes 28 days for a mosquito to grow from egg to fully-flown, but high temperatures speed up the process, Van Vliet said, adding that the early start to the mosquito season means we could be faced with two extra generations this summer.

The problem would be solved by a long period with no rain so that the breeding pools dry up, he said. In the meantime, people with gardens should empty pots of water and check for larvae every two weeks.

‘That makes an enormous difference when you consider that a liter of water can be home to a couple of hundred mosquito larvae,’ he told broadcaster NOS (in Dutch).

Personally, I was bitten over five times in the last couple of nights as I wasn't yet aware of the danger. The itching turns out to be also more severe than usual, I've found.

Sweltering Heat west of Ukraine

Without any hope of naturally resolving into a cool, bearable weather. This cannot go on, in last night's cool air I made nice progress with work, in this sweltering I can't. Getting desperate.
I turn on Atmo AC (~3-4 attempts): start slowly "turning the dial" down toward 29-->28-->27-->26-->23-->21 °C. There is a welcome draft. Lukewarm, but better than nothing. Heat goes on, sky clear, very few remote clouds. I start to wonder, how hard it will be during the height of summer to seed clouds.. Because I remember last year was all clear blue sky and nothing stops the sunlight, no wind, just heat. Thinking about how impossibly desperate must be people's situation around the world at desert places, where no mountain region is at sight / (our region is a basin) - mountains + living in basins-valleys usually anchor some clouds - and how hard those people must suffer from heat.

Atmo AC effect: A little cloud appears(not tiny, but not hopeful), as if some whiteish hazing would start on the horizon. Hm..mm.. WTH? No effect..

Heat continues, strong sunlight. Weather-wise the day ahead looks ruined (won't be able to think in this heat, no work) *Desperation sets in. Okay, this is enough. I turn on Atmo AC again (~2-3 attempts), this time I set it to lower temp setting going down quickly from 29 28 to 20 °C.

Breeze becomes cooler. This is the only effect I notice at first: too busy pressure-cooking & separating big amount of meat from bones, hand feeding the dog, preparing dinner.

Then some time passes and as I look outside, I see no sunlight. Cloud shade! Hah! Finally. Going outside I see very nice cloud development, medium clouds cover the sky spottily and there are some really nice, pregrant darker clouds. Wooohooo!

Dunno, why I was getting so desperate of thinking about Atmo AC wouldn't be effective this time. Probably was getting cranky for no reason, like a little kid, I threw a tantrum.

From now on - for the day - (Budapest/Paris *Thu 12:37) I only need to observe the weather, how cloud development goes and stop making other tries if the weather proves to be sufficiently cool or if the clouds are dispersing too fast, encourage a little more cloud development from the already very nice base that has developed in about 1-2 hrs.

*It appears that [important] desperation is always a Turbo-power-switch, (just like when its used on a racer car.)

End of day result: Superb, cool breeze at night! :cool:
(Paris *Thu 23:19 UTC)

Clouds were evaporating too fast around ~~16:00pm, had to reapply Atmo AC, resulting in ~85% cloud cover at ~~1700 hrs. They were steadily disappearing toward the evening, which should always be the proper procedure - letting Nature reinsert its 'Summer-flow' -, so all accumulated infrared heat can freely leave. Stars are now visible and a steady, energetic wind is generating a cool breeze, which feels amazing, when doing a walk, bringing water from the nearby artesian well.

Back
Top Bottom