What's the weather where you are?

Now, according to this, which is all about new normals and climate change of the C02-kind, the area of Lytton, BC, reached 47.9 C today. A historical record for all of Canada, apparently.
As peeps may now know, the town of Lytton is no longer. The unofficial story is that the town flashed out after a spark from a train quickly spread. This would not be the first time - due to a train, although there are other stories floating around. Forensically, it would not be very difficult to determine the initial ignition source.

5-hours away from Lytton, due east, here it was 45 C as shown above from photo, and the next day was 46 C and the next it had cooled to 40 C. The day after it was in the 30's C; although it almost felt worse due to hot Sirocco type winds. The next day it rained; hail and sheets of rain with thunder and lighting. Mass cooling.

With the previous heat, the snow in the mountains was quickly stripped off, raising creeks and rivers in the process. In some areas following the hail and rain, flooding occurred.

It's quite cool here in SW France; 13 C this morning.
Had noted what you said when posted, and at first was dreamingly envious, and then suddenly following the rain, early the the next morning it was 10 C at home - a great reprieve from the oppressive temperatures just days before, however all is a topsy turvy sign - and more to come.

It has changed now to seasonal or below temps, and today rain and thunder has come again.

Where I live in the BC interior, this morning I was out relatively early around 0900, it was overcast, which continues, with smoke in the air, although visibility is good, some haze, I feel some humidity, I did feel some rain droplets. The thing that disturbs me, there is a chance of thundershowers with some lightening later in the day. The temperature where I live in the Southern Interior, is around the seasonal norm for the area in July. Strikes, me, could be moisture, at the higher elevations, due to condensation, with lower temperatures in morning after catrosphic heat earlier in the past week. But what do I know, I am no expert.

Heatwave is continuing in Hungary, 90 miles west from the Ukrainian border. Last week we had a one day reprieve with rain and blessed cold-snap air. Next day it already started warming back up. Now we have searing heat again.

Today the sun came up on a cloudless horizon promising extensive heat from the get-go. Watching that bad news manifesting in real-time - as I was doing fasted sprinting exercise from 04:50am to 7:50am anyway, with my mitochondria activated - I thought "Why not ease this heat-catastrophe a little bit?" It began okay with intensified winds and clouds coalescing in the morning.

Artificially encouraged thick cloud layer was established by noon. However it remained mainly white in color, not the always preferred dark grey-bellied overcast, which could have limited infrared penetration to the surface bringing cold air as usual.. As it remained a "thick white haze" only, very minimal temperature balancing was achieved via "almost imperceptibly cooler winds."
The white mass even produced some rain drops, but in a couple hours it was decimated. Unfortunately it did NOT stop the heat.
However as the western sky remained cloudy, it did block out the late afternoon sun, which is good, so at least the end of our day wasn't turned into a furnace. Not the result I would have preferred. :(

The Heatwave continues where I live in the BC interior, with smoke in the air, the visibility is OK but some lack of visibility over the mountains. Forest fires in the area.

I had an interesting conversation regarding the renewal of my car insurance, they wanted to give me a quote, strangley, they informed that they could not actually renew my insurance at this time because of active fires within a 15-50 mile radius? I wonder, does this mean that all those unfortuanate people in Lytton will not be able to claim on their insurance for damage to their cars? Will it be classed as an Act of God?

Stockholm +30.5°C
14 July 2021 14:30

Stockholm has among the highest temperatures for Sweden today - with 30.5°C / 86°F. (MAX temperatures aren't nailed yet) Uppsala, the city just north of Stockholm reports 30.8°C / 87.5°F. Well, now we can talk about being on the verge of hot, up here.

It's almost as warm as in Sicily (Catania has 32°C / 90°F). Hotter than Rome, which reports 26°C (79°F). However the highest temperatures in Europe for the moment, are found in Cyprus with 42°C (107.6°F) - but also Greece and the Balkan countries up to Hungary - are searing hot with up to 38°C ( 100.4°F) - uh ! :scared:

The weather in Stockholm this summer season - has been warmer than normal for many weeks now - kind of a fairytale summer the Swedes always yearn for every summer... Quite a lot of places have had so called "tropical nights" along the southeast coast as well east middle coast of Sweden (Stockholm Archipelago), which means the temperatures did not dip below 20°C / 68°F.

Water temperatures in the Baltic Sea coast, are high. I noticed for example in the extreme north; in Kalix - the water temperature right now is 24.1°C. / 75.4°F. (The coast up there is called sometimes called the Nordic Riviera) - so yes, when there is heat and no winds - the coast water does warm even high in the north.

It is fascinating, given the contrast between summer and winter; when the same places in winter, are the ones with the thickest ice, lasting the longest time... On the other side of the Baltic Sea, at the west coast of Estonia, but also the Finnish bay, towards Russian Saint Petersburg, some places reported water temperatures between 26-27°C / 78.8-80.6°F !

I would say that is pretty extreme...

_-2021-07-14-at-14.47.15.jpg

Today was nice and warm, (70F) but in the week previous, rainy. One day it rained all day, the next it rained in the early morning and evening hours. I spotted mushrooms on a grass field - that's a good indication of how wet it's been. Wet, but warm. Normally, mushrooms are a August/September growth, as it is cooler and darker.

I saw another contrail, and it cast a nice shadow, but the camera didn't catch it well. To the right of the top of the big tree, there is a jet that seems to be observing the contrail - I didn't notice it when I took the shot.

Attachments

• 20210714_145307_HDR~(1).jpg
    20210714_145307_HDR~(1).jpg
    978.3 KB · Views: 5
In Poland, day before was 36C. And many days after, higher temperatures too. Today 22C, becouse was storm at night.
But generally hot. Lower pressure, around 980 Hpa, still, no matter, rain or sun. , very high humidity 70% .... tropics

Its going to rain anytime now. Already for 4 days. Day temp 20C Night16C. The 1mm rain of Sunday is still there, as there was no sun at all since. A bit of N wind higherup. Normally the western districts have rain all the time. Now there was 50mm falling just 80km east from here and nothing here. A bit eerie.

33°C • (91.4°F) in Stockholm *phew*

Yesterday's MAX was determined having been 30.9°C (87.6°F). Today's final MAX will be out tomorrow. You don't see such numbers very often in Stockholm, as they are more in line with what to expect from southern Europe.

Catania in Sicily has 31°C - which is totally normal for this time of the year (around 32-33°C)

Finally some well desired rain today with temperature drop to 18°C.
Unfortunately, there was also hail (as big in size as ping-pong balls) in some/many parts of Rijeka, Kvarner Bay biggest city. :-(

Since that last refreshment two weeks ago, we had usual summer, dry warm weather at the Kvarner Bay; daily in low 30s° C (max temperature didn't exceed 34°-35°C) and at night above 20°C.
Until 2 nights ago when there was nice rain (33 mm in 2 h), which lowered the daily temperatures well below 30°C: yesterday 28°C and today even 26°C with a lot of overcast. Night temperatures are still around or above 20°C though.

Well, again, it was 15C this morning. Several cool days of rain preceding and still completely overcast. This is more like autumn weather than the middle of summer! Yesterday, the high was 21C!

Same here in southwest germany. It feels like autumn for quite a number of days now. Air is pretty chilly especially in the morning but also throughout the day.

Back
Top Bottom