What's the weather where you are?

Still 10 degrees or more below normal at the beach in Southern California. This is late March weather for our region, and it’s almost June. Normally we’d have had days pushing into the 80s for weeks by now, but we’ve barely grazed the 70s and it’s been cold and rainy. Certainly not oppressive (I love it like this), but definitely not normal. This year has been unlike any that I recall since childhood in the early 70s. It basically rained like a biblical story through the entire month of February.

We had an indescribable Supper Cell roll through here last evening.

It was accompanied by sheets of rain, very loud thunder, strong winds, (some), bright flashes cloud to cloud lighting, and small hail.

The volume of rain (which was off the chart), inundated a smaller village below. Leaving one house hold with mud flows, and water damage, do to the drains being filled to over capacity, (with debris, rocks, and mud).

There was also small mud slide's in this area, and other prefecture's.

More to come! On Guard, Staying Vigilant,, and ready to serve others.

It’s been unseasonably warm here for autumn on the mid North coast of NSW, Australia. Today was like a summer’s day, temps got to 25 degrees C, forecast is for a cold front (cold by Australian standards, lol) coming in a few days though.

Today in San Petru, southern Corsica, it is cloudy with a little wind, a little higher up towards Ocana in the early afternoon I had just finished making the Corsican road jig made more turns than straight lines, that the black cloud that I saw from a distance had arrived on us, accompanied by a shower a little less intense than yesterday.
Two weeks ago the snow was invited to the Col de Vizzavona:

Météo : fortes chutes de neige, les automobilistes bloqués au col de Vizzavona

Just under the pass, on the north side, at Foce di Vizzavona, a chapel dedicated to "Notre-Dame des Neiges".

Now, is it me or has anyone else notice it's getting hotter every year?
I live in the Alps, and been there for more than 50 years. I witnessed this:

1) When I was a child there was plenty of snow and frozen fountains in winter. Nowadays, winters are mild temperatures, and no frozen fountains.

2) Over the years, Glaciers have dramatically receded / shrunken.

Tuesday May 28 - Northeastern Pennsylvania. Late afternoon turned Spring-like weather into a strong rain storm that produced high winds and large hail. Outside of my apartment building, it sounded like someone was dumping buckets of golf balls. Within minutes, the ground was covered in icy-white. The strong gusty wind was another factor. They did issue a tornado warning for our area (rare) but as of (5 AM) this morning, news reports are just coming in on the damage. Outside my front door, the ground is littered with dead tree branches and other debris. Other then that, everything exposed to the elements - got power washed! Looks like Mother Nature was up to doing some Spring cleaning.

The Netherlands has registered the warmest 2nd of June ever recorded with 30° C in De Bilt (the official location for registering records) and even hotter in some other places. It was also the first tropical day of the year. This record was the 148th heat record since 2000 compared to only 18 records for lowest temperatures in the same period.

The previous 2nd of June record stems from 1947 with a temperature of 29,5° Celsius in De Bilt.

Source (Dutch only):
Officieel warm: eerste landelijke tropische dag van 2019 is een feit
WeatherMapTemperatureActualNL

The Virgin Islands have been under one of the most severe drought conditions. Many of the ole timers remark that they have never witnessed such dryness. Even the trees are suffering and browning beyond the belief especially on St. Thomas, so imagine the birds,bees and other wildlife.

Peeps are fearful of this upcoming hurricane season as severe drought usually means more susceptibiility to hurricanes. Thank goodness for those praying for rain, we had earth quenching downpours. Many of us have not recovered from IrmaMaria as many still do not have roofs over their heads or any accommodations at all. That story is for another thread.

Just the sound of hard rain or high winds triggers fear in many who survived. I was frightened but my friend & I played crystal bowls all through Maria. We had very interesting experiences including hearing voices in the storm & other things that might be considered metaphysical. Unconsciously, for a lot of people, fear of the unknown creeps in. Is there a difference between being frightened & fear? We call it LBS or loose bowel syndrome. Be safe & Be Well wherever you be.

It's been warm here as well. Good weather but the ultraviolet light is intense. With the temps kicking in at 31°C, (and much warmer in the low lands further north of here).
With the sounds of thunder (this evening), are just beginning. The rain is good.

Translated from French by Microsoft
🌩🌩 stationary thunderstorms 2 outbreaks of stormy activity tonight 👉 On #hautespyrenees between Pic du MIDI and Aspin 👉 On #pallars and to the West of the #andorra Caution in these areas moderate electrical activity and sometimes heavy 📷 @Blitzortung_Org rains

Yesterday evening, a procession of several severe thunderstorms including a certified tornado (F1 strength, i.e. between 120 kph and 180 kph) wrecked havoc across the Netherlands, especially in the Southern and Eastern parts of the country. Trees were uprooted, roofs were blown away, roof tiles were flying around, cars were damaged, streets and cellars flooded. In an area stretching from northern France to north of the Wadden islands, over 60,000 lightning flashes were recorded as the storm passed. Railway tracks were damaged and several train services were halted, postponed or delayed.

Latest forecasts announce a repeat performance for tonight, although probably a bit less severe.

Details here:
Severe storm brings down trees, disrupts trains, damages homes - DutchNews.nl - Live

Dozens of damage reports after heavy thunderstorms
Tornado left 5 km trail of destruction in Gelderland town; storm damage mounting

Another stormy night ahead for the Netherlands

The second stormy night in succession brought more mayhem to the Netherlands.

Amsterdam now lost approximately 300 trees, half of which stood in the inner city along the canals. Some of them were fairly old (around a century) and supposedly weather-proof as they stood the test of time, while others belonged to endangered or rare species. Five people encountered minor injuries. Furthermore, the usual roof tiles, car damages, and flooding and the like.

Eindhoven lost about 800 trees in one night.

In the Netherlands alone more than 72,000 lightning flashes were registered.

Insurers so far received 1500 damage reports: 1250 to houses and 250 to cars.

Upcoming night is expected to remain calm.
For Friday afternoon and evening however a new cluster of thunderstorms has been announced.

Full details:
Second night of severe storms hits NL - and there may be more to come - DutchNews.nl - Live

Storms cause injuries, flooding, damage across Netherlands
Videos: Over 72,000 lightning flashes during overnight thunderstorms
Great deal of 'consequential damage' caused by two nights of thunderstorms

A few sources in Dutch:
’Zeer uitzonderlijke situatie’ in Amsterdam
Waarom sneuvelden minstens 150 bomen tijdens de storm?
Storm velt 800 bomen in Eindhoven

Back
Top Bottom