What's the weather where you are?

Dismal and wet, but not too cold. Lots of rain lately and more expected next week. Rivers are up and the ground is soggy. I hope we don't get a big wind.

I will say the winter has been milder than expected. I save my junk mail and lawn debris for wood fires. I might make a nice fire in the wood stove today to get rid of some of this stuff. Glad winter is almost behind us.

In the Netherlands a new record was set today, February 25 being the warmest day ever measured in a lot of places:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0QwG2YW0AAzxUd.jpg

The coming days it will stay warm, so new records will be possible or maybe probable even:

Spring comes early as temperatures climb towards 20 degrees - DutchNews.nl
Unseasonably warm temps ahead for Netherlands

Meanwhile, it has emerged that the severe drought of last year brought around a million houses in jeopardy with an enhanced risk of subsidence due to foundation problems:

Foundation problems due to drought: 1 million Dutch homes at risk of subsidence

In some cases the costs of repair may amount to a whopping 100.000 euros for which the home owners are viable.

Glorious sunshine and a warm day too. Flowers are blooming. More rain coming soon.

Really bad whiteouts and gusts of wind, upwards of 80km/hour. It's supposed to be like this all week and they've had road closures and emergency vehicles called back all around the surrounding area. Driving to work this morning, I had close to half a dozen times where visibility was fine then all of a sudden couldn't see anything in front of me due to whiteouts. When that happens all you can do is slow down, hope your still on the right side of the road and that you don't hit anyone or anyone hits you. I haven't seen any yet, but heard some snow drifts are reaching as high as 10 feet.

UPDATE: ‘People need to stay home’: Dufferin County plows taken off roads, emergency services stretched thin

Another record broken in the Netherlands: first sighting of lapwing eggs on February 28, i.e. earlier than ever before. Normal average of first sighting in the first two weeks of March; previous record March 4, 1989 (Friesland) or March 3 (whole country) (year not specified).

Spring really was early: first lapwing egg found in Friesland - DutchNews.nl
Eerste kievitsei in Friesland gevonden, vroeger dan ooit [Dutch only]

egg.jpg

The first lapwing egg of the season. Photo: Landschappen.NL

Watching the weather this morning, they said that with only one day left in the month, this is heading to be the coldest February on record here on the West coast. The coldest Feb was 0.5 C, and so far we are 0.3 C.

I suspect that it is due to the Polar Vortex that has been sitting over much of Canada and parts of the US lately. We are sort of on the fringe of it and it has pushed our temperatures down. You can see other places like Nevada, California, and Arizona among others getting record temps too.

So The Spring has arrived in Town of Split - but yesterday some cheeky tourist on very Riva Promenade took it for a Summer ...NOT! 🤞

riva-djevojka-kupaci.jpeg

P.S. 📣 Bucche Beach is just 5 min walk away!!!!

🧜‍♀️

Northeastern Pennsylvania - In my location in Scranton, this Winter was very mild, all but for two decent snow storms and below zero temps. Other then that, it's been blustering winds and heavy ice coatings. Now for March, the temps are fluctuating from "in the teens at night and 40+ degrees during the day". We are experiencing mostly rain, periods of light snow and ice coatings in the morning.

One thing that I find intriguing - is something is visually going on with the Sun - most noticeable in the evening, when it's going down over the horizon? It is "so intense" that nothing solid casts a shadow? It's like being cast "into the center of a stadium floodlight" where the brightness distorts your vision of the surrounding area and everything takes on a halo of silver-white. It's actually - a little spooky.

I first observed this, about nine days ago. It was cold and crisp outside - low 20*F with mainly clear skies during the Sunset. Weather permitting, (no ice) I like to take a brief walk around that time. Yesterday around 7 PM, temps were still in the upper 30's F, fairly clear sky and the Sun was so bright, it felt like being X-rayed. Just focusing on the sidewalk, walking in the direction of the Sun (not looking directly at it) actually hurts your eyes. Now, I'll wait until the Sun begins to crest over the horizon, before taking my evening stroll. Last August, I noticed something to this effect but we are only in the month of March and the days will begin getting warmer with more sunlight. Guess, I need to dig out the sun glasses.

The latest cyclone activity brings a lot of rain and snow on a higher mountain in Macedonia. Temperature is going from 6 to 12C at lower altitudes.
On the altitudes from 1700-2000m, there are heavy snowfalls.
See these images from a few days ago ( 06-April-2019) about 40 km from where I live
The place is called Carevec 1814m altitude.
МЗ Галичник / MZ Galichnik
56821246_647328459037723_2355958405610340352_n.jpg

One thing that I find intriguing - is something is visually going on with the Sun - most noticeable in the evening, when it's going down over the horizon? It is "so intense" that nothing solid casts a shadow? It's like being cast "into the center of a stadium floodlight" where the brightness distorts your vision of the surrounding area and everything takes on a halo of silver-white. It's actually - a little spooky.
Sunsets are definitely not like they used to be, here in the UK. They used to be incredible to watch during the warmer months in particular, deepening to vivid rich hues of reds and orange and purple-pinks bleeding out across the sky. The last hour before the sun disappears completely below the horizon would soften enough to look directly at it. You can't do that now, even with hazy cloud dampening the brightness, the sun stays brilliant-yellow right down to the horizon. Occasionally it has an orange or pink tint to it the last 20 mins before sundown - but still so glaring!

Here's a pic of a typical sunset taken last June, near to where I live. I grew up here... Sunsets never used to be that brilliant, and with that slight haziness of cloud, 10+ years ago.

Don't get me wrong, the delicate water-colours painting the skies of our 'new-age' sunsets are still beautiful in their own way, but I do miss the generous broad-stroked lashings of oils-on-canvas across the skies of my youth.

Here's a pic of a typical sunset taken last June, near to where I live. I grew up here... Sunsets never used to be that brilliant, and with that slight haziness of cloud, 10+ years ago.

Thanks for the photo, BlackCartouche. :-) You captured exactly what I was trying to describe - the tense bright luminous effect!

There's been some talk, for some time, that we're losing portions of our ozone layer and I'm wondering if that might be contributing to the way the Sun appears - like the screening or the veil is thinning? I love sunsets, one of the main reasons I picked that time for a short stroll. I noticed this about a year and even on cloudy days, if there's a clearing and the Sun peaks out - the rays are fascinating to observe but you can't look at the Sun - directly. I feel, something has changed, or maybe I have developed a sensitivity? Either way, I was hoping someone else had noticed a change - so I appreciate the feed-back, BlackCartouche.

Thanks for the photo, BlackCartouche. :-) You captured exactly what I was trying to describe - the tense bright luminous effect!

There's been some talk, for some time, that we're losing portions of our ozone layer and I'm wondering if that might be contributing to the way the Sun appears - like the screening or the veil is thinning? I love sunsets, one of the main reasons I picked that time for a short stroll. I noticed this about a year and even on cloudy days, if there's a clearing and the Sun peaks out - the rays are fascinating to observe but you can't look at the Sun - directly. I feel, something has changed, or maybe I have developed a sensitivity? Either way, I was hoping someone else had noticed a change - so I appreciate the feed-back, BlackCartouche.
You're welcome angelburst29. It was my mother who first brought it to my attention. She's the most 'terre'-sensitive person I know.

The C's said something a few sessions back about the weakening of the magnetic field being the primary cause. As such, Laura advises not to stay out in direct sun, though mornings and evenings are ok.

Back
Top Bottom