What's the weather where you are?

As already announced previously it's now officially confirmed that 2018 has been the sunniest year ever measured in the Netherlands.

On Thursday morning, the number of sunny hours broke the 2,022 barrier, surpassing the previous record of 2,021 hours, 40 minutes, which was set in 2003.

It is only the second time more than 2,000 hours of sunshine have been recorded since records began in 1901. In an average year, the sun shines for 1,600 hours.

Full details here:
With 18 days to go, 2018 is already the sunniest on record - DutchNews.nl
2018 officially the sunniest year ever measured in Netherlands

Thundertorms, heavy rain and winds have been lashing the Mid North Coast of NSW the past few days, temps around 24*C. Trees have fallen across roads in a neighbouring suburb, Sydney and Melbourne have also had heavy rain and flooding in parts.

In the Netherlands, Wageningen agricultural university and the national statistics office (CBS) today have published initial forecasts on the repercussions on farm incomes of this years severe drought.

The long dry summer has led to a sharp drop in income (Dutch only) for Dutch farmers, and pig and dairy farmers are also grappling with low prices.
[...]
Farm incomes are on average down 11% on a year ago.
[...]
The hot, sunny weather has had an impact across all types of farming. Onion, potato and sweet corn yields are down and greenhouse growers report lower yields and poorer quality.
[...]
Livestock farmers were hit by higher feed costs and lower prices for their animals. Pork prices were down 12% and dairy farmers had to cut their herds to meet new manure regulations.
[...]
However, other statistics (Dutch only) published by the CBS on Tuesday show that organic dairy farmers are doing well. In 2016, their farm incomes were an average of 13% higher than that of traditional dairy farmers.
In 2017, there was a 27% rise in the number of organic dairy farmers as farmers switched to the more lucrative sector. And in the first nine months of this year, organic dairy farm income rose 1%, compared with a 6% drop in the dairy sector as a whole.

Source: Farm incomes hit by long, dry summer and manure rules - DutchNews.nl

Adding to the above, 2018 will be counted among the top three hottest years ever measured in the Netherlands and will probably end on second place with an average temp of 11.4° Celsius whereas the 'normal' average stands at 10.5° C.

2018 is the fifth consecutive year with a considerably higher average. Eight of the ten hottest years since measurements started in 1901 were in this century. The other two were in the nineties.

Full details:
2018 in top 3 hottest years ever measured in Netherlands

Reactions: Ca.
We had a warm, beautiful spring weather today, lots of sunshine melted most of the 3 inches of our first snow (after more than a week of snow-cover) and dried up the puddles in East-Hungary west of Ukraine. Previously we also had a nice couple "warm-blanket" winter days with thick-overcast sky and snow on the ground, but melting ice on streets, those days were warmly welcomed.

((I'm completely inactive / standing down since my last report so the fields can get a lasting snow cover.))

Reactions: Ca.
It was -36C today early in the morning where I live (South Western Siberia) which "felt like -40C" according to our meteorologists. Many people couldn't start their cars in the morning to go to work. In such cases you have to start up your engine and warm up your car during the night, so that you could start it up in the morning. Or you can otherwise cover your engine with a special blanket for the night, which may or may not work depending on how cold it is outside. Another option is to take your car battery home, so that it didn't discharge during the night. I went to work by bus, so I didn't have this problem. :-)

Now it's -28C here.

Wow, Siberia! That is cold and so early in Winter. So far, in southern lower Michigan, north east Indiana, we've been mostly above freezing and free of rain or snow for several days. If Winter passed with this weather, I'd be super thrilled.

I decided to put snow tires on my car (first time ever) and it hasn't snowed since!!! I was also considering a oil pan heater, so the car will start, no matter how cold it gets. Hopefully that won't be necessary, but maybe something Siberians need.

Freezing fog at this local earlier, with current temp. of 0.-5*C.

Translated from Catalan by Microsoft
The wind will blow moderately #Andorra with gusts of 80 km/h to 50 km/h and peaks to the valley bottom. The curiosity of the astronomical day is that this earth tonight will go through the closest point to the Sun, called Perihelion.

Translated from Catalan by Microsoft
Examples of the extreme temperature inversion today (minimum temperature) + 11.2 ° C in the sanctuary of Queralt (1,167 m)-7.0 ° C in Guixers-Valls (845 m) #Berguedà #Solsonès+ 7.7 ° C in the Montsec d'Ares (1,572 m)-5.7 ° C in Tremp (473 m) #PallarsJussà #meteocat

Meanwhile: :whistle:

Sydney has been very hot and humid during most of the Christmas break, usually around mid 30 C. It's so nice stepping into air conditioned transport and shopping malls for the relief.

Very cold this morning in Western parts of Macedonia. At 8 am it was -15C.
Forecasts say more snow in the next 2-3 days and temperature will probably go few degrees up.

Back
Top Bottom