What's the weather where you are?

At my home in Southeast Bavaria: Yesterday between 20:30 pm and 21:00 pm and Thursday afternoon we had thunderstorms / electric storms with sheets of rain. Both days we measured 50 liters per square meter in our rain measure container. So we had 100 liters/ square meter in just 2 days (or in two times about half an hour to be more precise).
Thursday I looked out of the window and it was raining so hard that I hardly saw the neighbor houses a couple of meters away. The word "whiteout" came into my mind and it looked similar to fog. A bit later I saw that there was rain water a few centimeters deep on our terrace. There was more rain coming from above than the earth around the terrace was able to absorb. The rain gutters were overflowing and some "rivers" were flowing down the roof.

The Cs are so right with their sheets of rain predictions.

Plenty of hot weather these days in the Netherlands but the announced heat wave does only materialize in the South and East of the country.

Meanwhile, today was the hottest 25th of June ever measured with 34.2° Celsius at midday in Hupsel, a small Gelderland village just eight kilometers west of the German border. The previous record was 34° C recorded in Volkel, Noord-Brabant in 1976.

Details here:
Hottest ever June 25 on record as temps top 34 degrees

Overview at 16.00 hrs.
ce8972c984_GMT_TXTX_latest__1_.png

This pretty much sums it up. Currently, calm, and negotiable.
Translated from French by Microsoft
🙌🌅 PIC 12.6 degrees and southerly wind 70/80km/h. This wind makes some temperature values fly in north-south valleys as in Luz St Saviour where it is 29 degrees at 6am! Or Artouste with 24. In Toulouse, minis around 24. 📷 Nou Nours #Pyrenees #canicule2019

With a high altitude view of this morning's sunrise.

I know there is some big heat in the EU at the moment and hope that abates - be careful if there. The expectation will probably see that oscillate to North America at some point in July as the past tends to show.

As a recap here above the 49th in the Rockies that looks to a few observations from spring to now is as follows:

Very few hot days. Nights have been down to 2 Celsius earlier and a few night in June required the fireplace be lit.

The June rains came, which is super important as a buffer to wildfire's (historically) in July. It buys some time and can be a bridge into August where RH recovery increases. This is not to say that wildfire's won't initiate; especially with July electrical storms, it is just there is a foundation of moisture in the ground that will act as a drought index buffer.

This is the first year that I can remember whereby mosquitoes have been absent in the spring - welcome indeed. With the moisture now in place and the heat to come they will start to hatch there is no doubt, however weeding gardens without their presents was an odd thing.

Snow. With the cool nights in June it seems that snow was slow to melt, and this is good as there is no big freshet surge that collects to flood. Now I've noticed in the main valley (South aspect) that there are still a few pockets of snow yet to melt up high in the rocks, and that as far as I can remember the snow is usually all gone by May 24th (always a date marker) and it is now the eve of July. North aspects are another story.

The Berlin area made it to a sweaty 38,4° C today (100°+ F) but the forecast calls for cooling next week.
With the thought of a possible sudden onset of glaciation in the back of my mind, I think I can actually relish a couple of very hot days...

Please do give the animals in and around your house some water...

In Scandinavia it has become a bit chilly:
DEVIATION: the Map shows how temperatures will be in the next week and how big the deviation is from the normal temperature differences between Scandinavia and the rest of Europe. The darker areas are where the deviation is greatest.
PHOTO: THE NORWEGIAN METEOROLOGICAL INSTITUTE
Right now in parts of western Norway, there are warnings for Tuesday (tomorrow) about slippery roads above 800 m due to snow. The summer is expected to show up next week, but now it is less inviting:
"– Might almost believe we are in the beginning of October based on this weather, " says meteorologist Andreas his response."

After several days over the 90F mark in Alaska, it is now 62F at noon, and it is a relief.

The clouds to me are strange in that it is more like a haze and evenly distributed than clouds floating around. So it's like the blue sky turned white.

The same here in Germany. It was pretty hot, now it's 17°C.
And this morning when I turned on my Computer I saw that last night in some parts of Macedonia huge storm made a lot of damage. Broken cars, trees were broken, and a lot of damage to the crops, very strong winds.
At my place where I live it was fine. Just a rainy with little wind.

This morning temperature was about 14-15C. Sunny but chilly

Back
Top Bottom