zodiac and the insertion of Libra

Dragon Snacks

Padawan Learner
Reading Chapter 66 or the Wave Series and came upon this:

"To the left of the portal are 11 images of the zodiacal constellations. There are 11, rather than the statutory 12, because Scorpius and Libra are merged as one, in the image of a scorpion grasping in its chelae, or claws, the balance of Libra..."

"The zodiac was changed by taking the pincers away from the Scorpion and creating out of them the sign of Libra. This image was one of a woman holding a balance scales, usually blindfolded."

"...the insertion of the sign of Libra was designed to take power away from human beings, to take their hands away, to prevent them from seeing, to make them defenseless. Is this imagery close?"

I was taken aback by this because I'm a Libra and my wife is a Scorpio, as is my Dad....oh and one of my daughters...and my father-in-law...and my niece. Of course, I began contemplating mine and my wife's relationship with this new info in mind. In general, I would characterize myself as the one trying to "see", while she doesn't have much interest in doing so, none that I can discern anyway.

Just something I thought you all might find interesting.

I do have a question. Where can I find more info on Virgo and Scorpio being split up by Libra?

Dragon Snacks said:
I do have a question. Where can I find more info on Virgo and Scorpio being split up by Libra?

You aren't going to find much. I put everything I had found at the time in The Wave though there may be some additional info around on the forum from years back. Curiously, I found a reference to it in a book I'm currently reading about the relations between Magna Graecia and Rome between 700 BC and 200 AD. It was in reference to some activities of Augustus but I don't have the book to hand at the moment and it's really only an allusion.

I just did a quick search and came up with some things (put the words zodiac insertion Libra in the search engine)

Even the zodiacs used varied over time. The author mentions an ancient ten-sign zodiac which, by the splitting of one sign into Virgo and Scorpio and the insertion of Libra, was transformed into twelve signs. The very similar symbols for Virgo c and Scorpio e hint at this original unity. In her Secret Doctrine H. P. Blavatsky mentions that two of the zodiacal signs ``remained for ages the 'mystery signs,''' saying also that the "idea that the signs of the Zodiac were in ancient times only ten is erroneous. Ten only were known to the profane; the initiates, however, knew them all, from the time of the separation of mankind into sexes, whence arose the separation of Virgo-Scorpio into two; which, owing to a secret sign added and the Libra invented by the Greeks, instead of the secret name which was not given, made 12" (2:502&n). In considering these signs, Richer says that the marriage of Cadmus (Scorpio) and Harmonia (Libra) "may commemorate the insertion of the sign of Libra in the zodiac. Harmonia was originally from Samothrace: in allegorical terms this could mean that the priestly college of that island decided on the zodiacal reform" (p. 115).
http://www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/world/med/me-sbd2.htm

Those who hold the opinion that before its revision by the Greeks the zodiac consisted of only ten signs adduce evidence to show that Libra (the Scales) was inserted into the zodiac by dividing the constellation of Virgo Scorpio (at that time one sign) into two parts, thus establishing "the balance" at the point of equilibrium between the ascending northern and the descending southern signs. (See The Rosicrucians, Their Rites and Mysteries, by Hargrave Jennings.) On this subject Isaac Myer states: "We think that the Zodiacal constellations were first ten and represented an immense androgenic man or deity; subsequently this was changed, resulting in Scorpio and Virgo and making eleven; after this from Scorpio, Libra, the Balance, was taken, making the present twelve." (The Qabbalah.)
http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/sta12.htm

Not sure if this is all worth pursuing, though and I am also sure that there are a couple of Scorpios here in the forum very much interested in working on themselves ;)

Regarding the clustering of a particular sign in a family, this seems to happen. In mine every second person is Cancer (not me :P), but I always found it peculiar. In other families I have known a lot of members are air signs and so forth...

M.T.

The Rosicrucian and Blavatsky stuff isn't worth pursuing. I have an excellent scholarly history of astrology and I included much of it in "Comets and the Horns of Moses".

When i first joined, (i believe) CATHOM had recently been released and i had just decided that Astrology would/could be my ticket to self employment!....

So i read John Lamb Lash's 'Quest for the Zodiac' which used Sidereal astrology and added a few other elements like your 'earth sign' (the one opposite to your sun). Then i actually asked a few Q's here and read CATHOM and realised that, like Tarot, to me at least, it seemed as though this was merely a tool for tuned in persons to use. Because the different zodiacs and all the aspects vary so greatly that there must be more to it than mechanics. And if the mechanics on earth change cyclically so, does it just change along with it?

Even after reading Lash's book, and as much as i wanted it to work, i found it contradictory and lacking. But again, if the person is tuned, they can 'receive' information from picking up a used toothpick right? So that's not to say that like tarot it isn't fun to play with or to use to as a psychological tool for blindspots and the like - which i found it quite useful for.

Laura's book CATHOM confirms the 2nd bolded part, at least it did for me.

Anyway, i was reading the transcripts yesterday and think this sums it up:

Laura said:
September 09, 2000

Ark, Laura, Frank, Barry
[...]
Q: (L) Well, okay. So much for that! That was my take on it too, but since inquiring minds have sent these questions, I did think I would present them! Now, this one ought to be quick. Another correspondent wants to ask some questions about his research in astrology. The question is: could you give a number, in percentages, representing the degree of influence or correspondence of astrological factors, relating to the whole system of possible influence over character, constitution, and destiny of an individual?

A: Varies according to the preconceived notions of the perceptor.

Q: (L) So, it could have a great deal of influence for someone who believes it does, or no influence over somebody who does not believe? Is it possible that, if you do not believe, it has no influence? Or...

A: No.

Q: (L) So, even if you believe it has no influence, it will still have some influence?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) For somebody who is completely skeptical, what would be the percentage of influence?

A: Not measurable in such terms.

Q: (L) Can you get me in a ball park here?

A: You are misconceiving.

Q: (B) Is the reason you can't give a percentage because, even under such circumstances, the percentages are variable?

A: Yes.

Q: (L) If it is variable, is there a percentage in a global or general sense of the term?

A: We have spoken of illusion before.

Q: (L) Is astrology in general a false assumption?

A: Astrology is a stepping stone to higher knowledge.

Q: (L) What is the most useful application of astrological concepts as known today?

A: Publishing works which other 3rd density types will gleefully purchase!

Q: (L) Well, that's pretty cynical! Now, this guy has developed something he calls the "Natural House System." He asks: Is the Natural House System a better approximation to the problem of houses in astrology related to other known systems? Is his idea better than what is out there?

A: If it if he can convince enough others.

Q: (L) Is there, in 4th density, an equivalent to 3rd density astrology?

A: Not needed there.

So it dashed my ideas for self employment, but i couldn't do something i no longer 'believed' in. And that was after blabbing to all and everyone about it...

Astrology is a clue to look up and ask questions and the answers found were in relation higher knowledge.
That's how it seems to me anyway,

I think there are several things that come into play when talking about astrology as a method or tool for understanding oneself and others. I understand it as symbolical language of energetic influences and in order to understand that language the astrologer has to have some knowledge but primarily the understanding comes through the intuition. That's why you can never get a computer to become a good astrologer and why the only way to become a competent astrologer is to keep Working on yourself. The ability to interpret the language depends on several factors. The first being the ability to tune in to the astrological language of the person doing the interpretation (the astrologer). As mentioned this ability is directly linked to a persons self-knowledge, so if you haven't done the Work on yourself, chances are that you're not going to be very good at tuning in. The second part in the energetic interplay between the astrologer and the client. It can be likened to the degree of noise on a communications signal. If there's too much noise the signal won't be received by the client even if the interpretation is correct.

Lastly, I think it's important to remember that astrology is not an absolute method. Interpretation methodology should be seen in the context of the time and place and culture where it was developed. Therefore, while an astrologer using modern psychological astrology can be quite good at interpreting horoscopes of Western people in modern times, they will most likely miss many things if they interpret the horoscope of a Chinese person or an African person who has lived in a culture that is much different from the culture in which the astrological method was developed. For instance, in Indian culture many things are looked upon as more or less fated and not very influencable by free will. Therefore, Indian astrology reflects this and many interpretations are taken to be absolute - you just have to live with it. Therefore, when very competent Indian astrologers make interpretations of Western horoscopes they can be quite off. The reason is that astrology represents cosmic energies manifesting through the psyche and energy field of an individual. But since there's an influence between psyche, energy body, emotional body people with different cultural backgrounds will manifest these energetic influences in quite different ways. At the same time a competent astrologer will be able to say many things that are right, although the way that it manifests in the life of the client can vary. Therefore, it's important to remember that it's the life of the client that should be the measure of whether the interpretation is correct and not the other way around. I've seen many people who say that "Oh, my horoscope says this and that" and use this to avoid taking responsibility for their own situation. You can't avoid being responsible for the consequences and results of your actions based on free will. What (modern) astrology can do is to help you understand what the energetic foundation that has led to the development of coping mechanisms that result in you facing the same situations again and and again. In a sense an astrological interpretation of you birth chart can help you understand the hand of cards you've been dealt and how to play the cards if you want to develop yourself. But we don't exist in a vacuum so the influences are happening all the time and here astrology can help understanding the interplay between the influences that are happening at a given point in time or period of time and the energetic/psychological person that you represent.

Lastly, it's important to remember that people are not static and as they mature and develop through their Work the interpretation of the horoscope changes. As their FRV changes so does the manifestation of the energetic influences. So if someone read your birth chart 10 years ago some of the things may still be valid but chances are that if you've Worked on yourself many things have changed and therefore a current interpretation will be very different from the one that was made previously. And the further you are in your personal development, the higher the requirements of the astrologer who's interpreting your horoscope. Basically, the lens through which the astrologer will view your horoscope is based on his/her FRV and if that's lower than yours you won't be able to use the interpretation for very much.

I think Laura's analysis in CATHOM is very interesting and it shows what astrology was used for at that point in time and in that culture. However, just like the application of computers has changed dramatically since they were first invented, so has astrology and there are many different applications. In the end, I think astrology is a way for one self to become more tuned in through the application of astrology. But as long as the application of it can be used to assist others in understanding the choices they face and putting in the right context I think it has a lot of value.

Just my two cents :)

Hi,
I was interested in astrology as I needed some more data to evaluate the not so obvious traits of a persons. I even made some correlation between psychological test results and certain astro-variables and obtained significant and positive correlations. Afterwards I just dropped it, as the whole method was to laborious to be applied.

Later on I discovered that the Chinese medicine also paired organs with planets, and I started studying that too, but the sources not always agree with these pairings. Nevertheless, some of my findings were consistent and verifiable in several cases. I don't know, maybe is worth asking the C's about these planet - organ correlations? Is there any validity to it? It would be an additional source of data so needed in many cases.

Joy

Anyone ever heard about this guy Santos Bonacci, and his take on "The True Theology"???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QEaV5DYMs0&list=PL9oUspkyb4AWR37fpuISVOC4oA0-JAuO1

He seem to have reconstructed elements of Astrological practices before the onset of religion. What do you think??

ankhepiphan said:
Anyone ever heard about this guy Santos Bonacci, and his take on "The True Theology"???

He has been discussed before here
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,34051.0.html

John Lash Lamb.
( his real name ? considering he is attacking "The Lamb" )
Or just another example of early Co In Tel creations thinking they are dealing with Idiots ?

I just came across this Guy ,
and he seems to be attempting to Keep an exteremely WIDE GATE.
Sophia, Gaia, Gnosticism ,

From Amazon..

"" This ancient philosophy was threatening to the emerging salvation-based creed of Christianity that was based on patriarchal dominion over the Earth and lauded personal suffering as a path to the afterlife.""
Linking Patriarchal dominion , and the suffering of life together, Hmmmm,
Nice little temptation to the Lazy there.

So all those who suffer and work hard with "The WORK"
are wrong ?

And the Esoteric teacher jesus gets all the blame for the Popes of a few hundred years after .
Hmmmm,

Now he is into the mandela effect apparently.

Anyone got any more info on this guy ?

Putting energy into things that you are curious about and finding what brings you a bit of inspiration helps a lot. And sharing these things can help others in the same way

The above inspirational thought from Renaissance resonated with me and though I wasnt previously convinced by the value of posting the following, I thought better of it and that I would take this as a sign to pull my finger out and start sharing something here on this long dormant thread.

I suspect that many of us have a memory of a spark from one particular idea, or a specific landmark essay, video, or perhaps a defining book or conversation, which, though not the thing itself, still served as a vital springboard in the process of awakening that led in good time to Laura’s work and the Cassiopaean’s.

For me it was probably reading The Zelator by Mark Hedsel.

9780099255031.jpg

Twenty years ago I spent several pivotal months (much of it in the tranquil and suitably provocative environs of Crete) struggling through the arcane concepts and obtuse symbolism contained within its 660 densely packed pages, utterly bewildered but at the same time determinedly remaining open to its bizarre suggestion. Through sheer perseverance and refusal to give up, despite my increasing discomfort at my clear ignorance, eventually a small window of nascent understanding formed within me that hinted at last at the possibility that, yes indeed, out there somewhere was indeed a ‘secret’ knowledge, and that it might even be possible to find the door in the wall to a new and truer understanding of reality.

Wind forward ten eventful years and to my surprise I found Laura herself dedicating much of Chapter 66 to the very same book in the then freshly published Volume 8 of The Wave.

In particular I was motivated by her interest in the 11 sign Zodiac as this too had struck a rich chord in me which over the years germinated into an intense study of the symbolism implicit in what we know as astrology – not the diluted individuated version we receive today, but rather that surrounding the actual interlocking symbols behind the constellational ‘signs’ and the intertwined star myths of the entire system - coming in the process to a very different if complimentary theory to that commonly associated with this now personalised pastime. So much so I began to write a three part novel in which this understanding was to play a central role. It was fated never to be completed or see the light of day as life took a very different fork in the path and the time and mental space (and perhaps the ability) denied me the chance or will to continue.

But the provocation of what had been uncovered never left me – and in particular the memory of the discussion hinting at its significance in The Zelator and The Wave, which both bring focus to perhaps the strangest collection of extant astrological / astronomical imagery left standing in plain sight anywhere in Europe. I speak of the Portal of the Zodiac at the Abbey of San Michele della Chiusa, also known as Sacra di San Michele, situated precipitously astride Mount Pirchiriano, 962 meters above the valley road at the entrance to the Susa valley, not far from Turin, Piedmont, northwest Italy (and inspiration for Umberto Eco’s best-seller, The Name of the Rose.)

For some strange reason, in the weeks running up to Christmas 2020, the questions raised by this topic came vividly and urgently back to mind seemingly from nowhere – provoked perhaps by re-reading elements of The Wave; but whatever the reason, and needing something of intrigue beyond the daily nightmare of this time to exercise and calm my mind, I decided to see if I could reawaken my old interest by delving back into the subject and attempt once more to pull on a few old threads previously left dangling.

My previous attempts of many moons ago came up pretty much blank on any further clues or information, for it seemed at the time that this sacred place had never warranted much notice – and the research trail was therefore a blank other than the information outlined by Laura and Hedsel. Perhaps I didn’t try hard enough. Perhaps I wasn’t ready yet. Whatever the case, this time I found a fresh clue dangling, pulled on it, following its path, persevered, and after days and days of hunting and reading and thinking, I think I have a few more stitches and minor details to add to what Laura offers in her chapter.

There are still more questions than answers but maybe something I write here will spark something of interest in some of you or maybe just add some further thoughts to what you have already gleaned. So here goes.

ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

This was the thread upon which I first pulled and which led me off on the trail anew. For as I previously noted, the Abbey of San Michele della Chiusa is also perhaps better known by the unusual title Sacra di San Michele.

A “Sacra” means a place literally consecrated by angels of fire; Greek name Pir-Chirianos, that is Fire of the Lord. The ancient name of Mount Pirchiriano was Porcarianus, (mountain of pigs), analogous with the neighboring Caprasio and Monte delle capre (goats), and with Musinè (mountain of the donkey). These names are suggestive of pre-Christian/pagan sacred roots as are the copious menhirs to be found in the surrounding district.

Local tradition has it that the name of the mountain was changed prior to the millennial year of 1000AD after a startling vision came to the bishop of Turin in which he was raised atop its great peak by a ball of fire with angels astride, led by the Archangel Michael whereupon he was instructed to build a monastery. At the time the site was inhabited by a hermit, Giovanni Vincenzo, who had effectively already founded the first construction of the future Sacra di San Michele. I will say more about the early years of the Abbey another time, but for now let us note that these founding fires were an integral part of its unique history and its association with the angel of flame, St Michael, the dragon slayer.

T2016.12-R2-2016-05-05_o2.jpg

ST. MICHAEL / APOLLO

The true origins of the cult of St Michael have been lost in time but he appears to have emerged as a full fledged deity from somewhere in the east, possibly via Sythia, before arriving in the Middle-East, and was already flourishing at the time of late antiquity and the emergence of Christianity. The association with pre-Christian relics and monuments suggests that before this time, the character of 'St. Michael' existed in a different form, and was connected to several significant events in the solar calendar.

He also appears at key moments in the Old Testament, especially of note being his preventing Isaac from being sacrificed by his father through the substitution of a ram. It is said in the Bible that the name Michael (Mi-ka-el), originated when Lucifer (the fallen angel), compared himself with God, spurring another angel to stand before him and shout "Who is like God?", which in Hebrew translates as 'Mi-ka-el', after which he became known as Michael. In the 'Apocalypse' of apostle John, it was written that a dragon with seven crowned heads and horns, and a tail that swept aside the stars, threatened the Virgin Mary and her newly born child. St. Michael and his angels fought the serpent from Satan and destroyed it. Apep, the Seven-Headed Dragon of Egypt has been identified with Tiamat, the Great Dragon of Sumeria, slain by Marduk. This primordial goddess is also the prototype of the biblical monster Leviathan. Michael thus took up the status as Archangel, head of the heavenly host, the opponent of Satan and the fiery chief warrior of god. According to Roman legends, Archangel Michael appeared with a sword over the mausoleum of Hadrian while a devastating plague persisted in Rome, in apparent answer to the prayers of Pope. Emperor Constantine I made Michael the focus of an intense cult, dedicating the Michalion to him in the 4th century, an imposing sanctuary built in Constantinople,

The pagan temple which had existed there had been previously associated with healing and medicine, and the Christians continued to associate the location and the Michaelion with healing waters..

and much later the emperor Charlemagne dedicated the Holy Roman Empire to him, which was further imitated by the French sovereigns who, until Louis XIII, dedicated their kingdom to Michael.

All of this hints at cometary links as well as at a close association with the function of Apollo as the bringer of self-illumination through fire (and water), as a healer and as a messenger/interceder with the divine; the ultimate spiritual warrior. With his conflict against evil viewed as the battle within, in this role Michael descends at the hour of death, and gives each soul the chance to redeem itself before passing, thus consternating the devil and his minions. Catholic prayers often refer to this role of Michael as he also weighs souls in his perfectly balanced scales which he is often depicted holding.

His cult and veneration spread across Europe with the early church and also by route of Byzantium. Come the 4th century, he was firmly entrenched, from his foothold at a secluded hilltop cave on Monte Gargano on the east coast of Italy, (where an apparition of the Archangel appeared around 490 AD… which is close enough to the mid 6th century cometary bombardment in the north), then moved up through central Europe to France where it is said that St. Michael fought Satan on Mont Dol in Brittany as well as inspiring with visions the mystical settlement in Normandy at Mont St. Michel, finally onwards to England and the many notable Michael monuments such as Dragon Hill before ending up (or perhaps commencing?) in Ireland on the remote South Western tip and the most elemental of all his conflicts with the devil on the isle of Skellig Michael.

And here we come to a most notable alignment. Called the Apollo/St Michael Axis, it stretches from the shores of Ireland south to Greece before piercing the Holy Land suggestively close to the very place Armageddon is prophesied to commence.

A number of important and resonant sites are connected with this ‘arrow’ or ‘sword’ of Michael running 60 degrees, 11 minutes west of north through in particular these 5 pivotal sites relate specifically to the Archangel:-
  1. Skellig Michael (Co. Kerry, Ireland)
  2. St. Michael’s Mount (Cornwall, UK),
  3. Mont Saint Michel (Normandy, France),
  4. Sacra Di San Michele (the Italian Alpes),
  5. Monte Sant’ Angelo on the Gargano peninsula (Italy),
These align near perfectly (when you take the challenges of topography and place into account) with the five most important sites of Apollo, creating a extended pathway reminiscent of the claim made by the ancient Greeks that twice a year Apollo would return to his place of origin in Hyperborea in the North .
  1. Delos – Apollo’s legendary birthplace,
  2. Delphi – main sanctuary of the same Greek god,
  3. Athens – the centre of the goddess Athena, with Apollo’s altar in the cave at the Acropolis.
  4. Kerkyra – Corfu, with the so-called Secret Temple of Apollo,
  5. Rhodes – the island of the Sun God, Helios/Phoebus, also identified with Apollo
What do these two characters, pagan Apollo and Christian Archangel Michael, have in common?

• They are both connected with the symbol of the ‘Sun’;
  • Their legends give the same archetypal type of a dragon’s slayer;
  • Whereas St Michael kills the devil in the disguise of the dragon, Apollo slays the famous Python, the serpent guardian of the Delphic oracle;
  • Sometimes, Archangel Michael is even related to as the Christian counterpart of the Greek god of the sun, and furthermore his name itself means: “He who is like God”;
  • Both characters, Apollo and St. Michael, possess high rocks or islands.
  • (Broadhurst, Miller, Shanley, Russel 2003:1-4).

What is also quite interesting is the fact that the Monastery of Archangel Michael of Panormitis (Symi, Greece) was built around the fifth century AD “over the site of an ancient temple dedicated to the pagan god Apollo” (Sanidopoulos 2010). Accordingly, at least one of the sites of Saint Michael overlaps with an ancient site dedicated to Apollo. It is also observed that a few additional sites of the cult of Apollo or of Saint Michael are clustered around in the proximity of the main Line, yet not being directly crossed by its axis. For example, on Symi, most of the monasteries and churches scattered around the island are dedicated to Saint Michael (Sanidopoulos 2010). The same phenomenon appears in France, where the Archangel is venerated as the patron saint. Similar multiplicity of Apollo’s temples is noticed on the Greek islands.

origin.png

Other references highlight a total of 7 ancient monastic sites strung out along the line, namely:
  1. Skellig Michael (Ireland),
  2. Saint Michael’s Mount (UK),
  3. Mont Saint Michel (France),
  4. Sacra Di San Michele (Italian Alpes),
  5. Monte Sant’ Angelo on the Gargano peninsula (Italy),
  6. Archangel Michael of Panormitis (Symi, Greece – in the north-west of Rhodes),
  7. Stella Maris Monastery (Israel)
After the Book of Enoch, which is the apocrypha to the Bible, “St. Michael appears to be a protector of [seven] mountains and the Tree of Life that is located on one of [them] (Kosloski 2019). According to the same tradition, “an imaginary line links seven different monasteries from Ireland to Israel, [which are all dedicated to the Archangel] (Ibid.). Usually, it is called the Sacred Line/Axis of St. Michael, St. Michael’s Line/Axis or the Sword of St. Michael (Ibid.). The latter is clearly a reference to Saint Michael as the Archangel with the sword and His victorious fight with the devil, usually represented as a dragon speared with the sword under His feet (Ibid.).

…if “the curvature of the earth [is taken] into account, the [Line] ends at the ‘Gates of Hell’ at the foot of Mount Hermon” (Michael 2018), situated between Syria and Lebanon and north to Mount Carmel. The Book of Enoch (Enoch 6:1-6) describes the legendary Mount Hermon as the place where fallen angels descended to earth or, after the Revelation (Rev.12:7–10), they were cast down from Heaven by Saint Michael and His angelic army. According to other sources, however, the last point of the Axis should be Megiddo Tell (in Greek known as Armageddon – the location of the final battle between the good and evil), lying close to Mount Carmel (Broadhurst, Miller, Shanley, Russel 2003: 347-366) Consequently, “the remarkable alignment of all the [places] is perceived as a sign, pointing to an apocalyptic battle between St. Michael and [the devil]” (Kosloski 2019).

“Bearing in mind the distance from the west of Ireland to the Holy Land, some 2,500 miles, [around 4,024 km], and the fact that many of the sites are natural landmarks, sanctifies by nature rather than by human choice, the straight path on which they all stand is indeed narrow” (Broadhurst, Miller, Shanley, Russel 2003:12). Nonetheless, it can be observed that the closer the Line a particular site is located, the more significant it seems in terms of the cult and heritage.

Further worthy of note is the fact that Mont Saint Michel (Normandy), the Sacra Di San Michele (Italian Alpes), and Monte Sant’ Angelo on the Gargano peninsula (Italy), are equidistant from each other forming a further pattern of 3 nearly exactly 2,000km in length with Sacra Di San Michele at the 1000km mark. And all three places commenced with a burning visitation from the Archangel:

Mont Saint Michel
As a legend goes, in 708 Aubert, the bishop of Avranches had in his dream a vision of the Archangel Michael who instructed him to build an oratory on the large isolated rocky islet (Harpur, Westwood 1997:166).

Monte Sant’ Angelo
According to a legend, the grotto was dedicated to Saint Michael as the Archangel had appeared there three times, in 490, 492 and 493 (Ibid.). Additionally, in 2019 archaeologists of the Ludwig Maximilian University excavating the site announced their discovery of traces of Hellenistic temple dated to the second century B.C. (Ibid.).

Many researchers speak of Ley lines and earth energies but I can’t help wondering whether there might be a connection to the flight path of an earth skimming comet – either one honoured from deep antiquity… or in some prophetic manner, anticipated by this line in our not too distant future… ???!

Anyway, as you can see, our site exists within a framing context way larger than its own locality and history.

Each of these myriad sacred places has a remarkable story to tell and a location of mysterious origination, but none quite like the legacy still to be found at the Sacra Di San Michele.

Last edited:
STAIRCASE OF THE DEAD / THE PORTAL OF THE ZODIAC

View attachment La_Sacra_ammantata_dalla_neve2.jpg

The present day Sacra Di San Michele (above) is an imposing site, enveloping the mountain top and only reached by a steep climb up 51 steps with the vast complex rearing up over head.

IMG-20201003-WA0013-1.jpg

The main front entrance is plainly adorned (see above) other than 2 small columns and 2 pillars with capitals depicting on the outside 2 sets of 2 lions back to back, joined by the tails (to form an ‘X’ or esoteric cross),

13.jpg

....and 2 sets of 2 trumpeter heralds also carved back to back (no image I can find but they are spoken of in texts).

4 Lions, 4 trumpeters – the first set of 8.
The 2 sets of Lions, the 2 sets of Trumpeters, looking in opposite directions, is a highly resonant image that dates back to Egypt and Mesopotamia and even further to the earliest sacred images of mankind.

Fundamentally this announces the most profound message of the whole site – that this world, this journey is one of learning, holding and harmonizing opposites in balance. Thus on the very doorstep comes the first hint that this is no standard Catholic/Christian worldview that awaits us inside.

THE STAIRCASE OF THE DEAD

Upon passing through the entrance door, rather than opening out into a spacious church building as expected, one finds oneself instead enveloped in a narrow, winding, enclosed corridor stair that after a few twists and turns opens out into a further remarkable, wider stair case made of green stone that appears to come straight out of something like The Lord of the Rings and known as The Staircase of the Dead.

The totally unexpected and original nature of this building thus begins as soon as you enter. This is first and last an initiatory and highly symbolic arrival.

Untitled.jpg

You are effectively encased within a cave within a mountain, a cave that you must climb up through if you are to enter into the divine light and sanctuary above. There is no other way for the pilgrim to enter into the main body of the building, for the structure has been so conceived that its central interior is buried, even hidden, at a greater height in the interior structure. Given the appearance of this place, there are two interconnecting symbols that come to mind: the cave leading to the door to heaven. The cave was for the ancient’s a profound metaphor of the world (as in Plato’s Cave metaphor). The choice to build this artificial cave in the body of a mountain is thus particularly charged with meaning, since the mountain is also the image of the "spiritual center" of the cosmos (closely linked to the theme of the cave) but also via an obvious reference to vertical axiality.

The tradition is the stair takes its name from the monks who were buried in niches here in times gone by, but as with any catacomb its symbolic meaning is deeper than any proposed functional purpose (think Gothic cathedrals not being designed primarily for those habitually buried within). No, this Staircase of the Dead is the walk we all must take in life to ‘die’ to ourselves before being ‘reborn’ to the light, (with the only luminary supports coming from an east facing lancet window and accompanying oculus), before one finally reaches the intense illumination awaiting at the top exit from the stairwell.

lo-scalone-dei-morti.jpg

On the left side of the staircase is a column over 18 meters high on which rests the wide arches that support the church choir above. Unnoticed by the visitor, at the top of the great pillar that supports the church, we find engraved at the base of an arch, an Oroboros, inside which there is a naked man, wearing an elongated Phrygian cap, one foot inside and one outside, one hand in and one hand out of the circle.

The Phrygian cap has long been associated with initiation and the seeker of knowledge and among others was for example a sign of the three wise men who sort out the baby Jesus as well as the enigmatic figure Mithras, the bull slayer (surrounded by zodiacal symbolism and a topic that I suspect Laura will be writing more on in her impending book...?).

Magi_(1).jpg

Phrygian-hat-mithra.jpg

Among other things, the Oroboros represents the serpent of ‘knowledge’ that perpetually devours itself whilst creating an eternally impenetrable circle. Down through the ages it has been closely associated with the closed ring of the Zodiac. Its deeper meaning is that all that rests inside its curls are trapped eternally to go round and round unless they can learn its deepest secrets which will then allow their escape from its eternal, circular dance. Here we have the first hint that this place fundamentally bears knowing - if secret witness to - the 3rd to 5th density Matrix.

14.jpg

The initiated master we see here – for that is what this ancient cap tells us (a mark most likely of the master sculptor Nicholas, who we will come back to later) – is in the process of learning how to balance the opposites, how to be both inside and outside; in this world but not of this world; and how to dance the dance within the hoop so as to learn how to dance his way out in time; in other words, how to accomplish The Work.

To reach the door at the top, one must first climb a total of 243 steps, almost in a sort of "ascensional path". The reduction of the number 243 provides: 2 + 4 + 3 = 9 the number of perfection, i.e. Initiation.

In the base 10 system, where all numbers are represented by ten distinct forms (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9), nine is the final number. Of all the single digit numbers, nine (9) is the most profound. Composed of three trinities (3 times 3 equals 9), nine represents the principles of the sacred Triad taken to their utmost expression. Nine has been and still is considered thrice sacred and represents perfection, balance, order, in effect the Supreme Superlative.

Furthermore, the number 243 is the 5th power of 3 = 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 = 243. 3 is the perfect spiritual number, 5 the fateful meaning of man. Hence we find the 5 x 3 code imprinted on the stairs of death/life.

Thus climbing the ‘243 steps’ you may return to the source;
reborn as an initiate having successfully negotiated the fall into the differentiation of matter. This is why the man inside the circle is depicted as being naked, for though he may be reborn into life without conscious knowledge, by becoming naked anew in knowledge he may finally succeed to cross the circle of the Oroboros.

THE PORTAL OF THE ZODIAC

1. INTRODUCTION TO THE PILLARS

At the top of the ascending staircase we find the embodiment of complex symbology, described as being a Gate of Heaven, but better known as the Portal of the Zodiac, the master work of the mysterious initiate sculptor, Nicholaus.

The little academic interest that exists, tends to focus on the idiosyncratic zodiac symbols but in truth these adorn only 1 of the 13 columns, and thus we come to the first indication that there is a greater overriding intent behind the total design provided by the number of columns and capitals.

On the right side of the portal going up there are 7, yet on the left side going up there are only 6, the gap where a further column should stand clearly visible as you pass fully through.

Untitled2.jpg

(The 13 pillars of the portal as viewed as if you had already passed out of the darkness of the staircase and out into the light. The IMAGE ON THE LEFT is therefore the right hand side coming up, the IMAGE ON THE RIGHT the left)

Not knowing how to explain why the internal faces of the 2 key zodiac/constellation pillars facing down and across the staircase are decorated while the external surfaces facing out onto the open air are unadorned, guides suggest that the doorway was originally at another location on the site but at some point in time following damage by earthquake was moved to its present location and then reassembled as best as was possible. This could be apocryphal, however, so as to disguise what may have been deliberate attempts to dismantle of desecrate the total design, for the visible damage appears to be human derived (to my eye at least) not a natural occurrence. Having said that, there is undoubtedly an air of pick and mix about all the assorted pieces that make up the whole, so yes it’s possible. As for the ‘missing’ pillar, if it was always this way, then this may be of deliberate occult intent (though one can clearly see marks under the column support above which are suggestive that a 14th column may once have existed… unless this is also just a further part of the complexity and game of the ‘folly’ via it’s deliberate absence).

If we assume a furtherance of the ascensional symbology is intended as displayed in the Staircase of the Dead, the oddity soon however evaporates, for the important sides of the 2 central pillars astride the entrance would clearly be the internal facing ones because they then add final purpose to the symbolized ascent and final passage through. This is intriguing because the brief time it takes to pass through the portal (compared to the long staircase) suggests how easy it is to ‘fail’ in the great task of completing one's mission at even the very last through lack of knowledge and failure of awareness/observation. That may be why there are hidden Latin texts in the doorway that take care and patience to find and decipher, (being easy to miss), of particular immediate note with regard to my suggestion above:

You who must climb up/pass through,

Or by chance descend/return down,

Read the verses left here by Nicholaus.

Anyone who is able to go out

Pays full attention to this Work.

Distinguish the Flowers from the Beasts.

These lines, individually placed on pillars on both sides of the opening, to my mind – and as a simplified reading - collectively warn of the need to learn how to ‘read’ the devil hidden in the detail – and not to ‘pass through’ in a hurry without first doing so. It also clearly hints at knowledge of the part played by the recycling reincarnational cycle – Or by chance descend/return down - something deeply heretical to church dogma.

It is often claimed that there is no evidence of an extant belief in reincarnation in the western spiritual tradition and that all such concepts are much later imports from the Far East. I for one regard this as just one more of the many cover stories carefully seeded over many centuries as the evidence to the contrary was mopped up by the ‘Stalinization’ of our myths and history. In the face of the deep philosophical, theological and indeed political opposition to such dangerous concepts being allowed to remain within the officially proscribed dogma of Christendom, (for of course such a precept utterly undermines the concept of requiring an official ministry through which to interceded with an ever distant ‘god’), the knowledge of reincarnation went underground, and in particular became part of the shared foundational knowledge of certain secret brotherhoods, mystery schools and societies. From The Zelator, Note 47, Chapter 2.

The ancient Mysteries seem to have taught the secrets of reincarnation through the ‘blind’ of metamorphosis. The blind has worked so well that many modem scholars really believe that the ancients taught that human Spirits could be reborn in animal form. However, this misconception is corrected by both Plotinus and the early hermetic literature, the latter of which insists that ‘the will of the Gods for ever preserves the human soul from such disgrace’. See Mead (op. cit., I, p.302ff).

The astrology of the hermetic texts rarely sinks to the level of modern astrology, which on the whole is designed to serve the lower demands of the Ego. It is entirely Spiritual, never failing to regard the planets and zodiacal signs as living beings. The planetary and Spiritual spheres - through which the departed soul ascends after death, and descends prior to rebirth - are far more clearly described in the hermetic texts than in modern ‘arcane literature.

While the hermetic documents do not use the Sanskrit karma, they do refer to gods and goddesses who perform the functions of the karmic deities under the control of Adrasteia, or Nemesis, who have ‘the instrument of power of sigh that cannot err’. See ‘The Virgin of the World’, ch. XXV, p.71 of Mead (op. cit., III).

Adrasteia is also mentioned by Plotinus in his 3rd Ennead, 2nd tractate "On Providence" 13th Section. Where the following passage is mentioned

"Hence arises that awesome word “Adrasteia” [the Inevitable Retribution]; for in very truth this ordinance is an Adrasteia, justice itself and a wonderful wisdom."

Excerpt From: "Delphi Complete Works of Plotinus - Complete Enneads (Illustrated)" by Plotinus

The term in Plotinus is connected with the idea of Karmic rebirth into a situation where one pays for their previous injustices in a new life. One example given in the previous section mentioned is that of a man who killed his mother in one life is then born again as a woman in the next life who is then killed by her son.

So when Nicholas tells us -

Distinguish the Flowers from the Beasts;

I think he is confirming so much about this process of rebirth and how we must learn to distinguish consciousness/awareness (flowering spirit) from matter/bio-chemicals and their 'beastly' hold on our comings and goings by paying full attention to the Work (a process of knowledge gaining that this stair and doorway are their to inform).

sacred_space - 3 axis- 6 directions.jpg
Right is known as the ‘right side’ for it has long been considered to be aligned with the truth and all things worthy and of higher spirit, and hence we find 7 capitals, the revered number of the divine mystery as well of the virtues and of the deadly sins (the portal also has 7 Romanesque round arches over head on the outside once you pass through... 7 densities of being?). The left side, however, was traditionally considered to harbor all things base and suspect, including materiality itself. Thus the 6 capitals may well reflect the total domain and directions of known space inhabited by man, and it is worth noting that 3 x 6 gives us the number of the Great Beast. It is worth also remembering that the Oroboros is in truth a serpent that entwines, envelops and contains within its coils these 6 known dimensions of our 3rd density existence. This divide may also express some deeper knowledge of the implications of the split hemispheres of the brain, with the left side reflecting the ego’s fixation with control over materiality and the right’s potential to be in tune with higher informational vibrations. For as one passes through, the two sides duly reflect back and speak in secret whispers of the physical and potential spiritual state of the pilgrim who stands within its compass (like a set of ear phones!).

The sum of the two numbers 7 + 6 = 13, the 6th prime number. The number 13 can be geometrically decomposed into the sum of the six-pointed star, with a second six-pointed star with the point in the center 6 + 1 = 7.

29.jpg
The number 13 made up a Templar chapter, as well as the number of the Grand Master and Alchemist. It was also the number necessary to found a new Cistercian monastery. As Jesus led from the centre his 12 disciples, it also appears in the Grail saga and the round table of King Arthur, with the empty 13th place reserved for the predestined knight, the leader of the twelve. However the vacancy hints at danger for those who seek to occupy it unworthily – for 13 contains within itself the principle of the inevitability of dramatic change, with the implicit warning not to cling to what no longer supports soul development and teh evolutionary will of the universe. It is the number that with the addition of 1 unit to the 12, interrupts the cyclicality, forcing a radical transformation, often by means of fire struck from heaven.

I have outlined these number issues not so as to claim they are in themselves highly momentous proofs of anything, only to suggest that they were most likely meaningful to the sculptor and the occult school he was no doubt representing.

More of increasing interest anon when I will share further on these fascinating 13 pillars and in particular the 2 pillars that address the 11 sign zodiac and other associated constellations!

Back
Top Bottom