Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Hi Persej, have you done any research about Iodine-starch complexes?

Yes, I did a lot of study on that topic. Some of the findings I already shared in this topic. I plan to share some more things after I go over them again.

In case you did it, I want to mention that if the starch starts to be digested then you have the release of I3 - and I5 - (the same Lugol's) in the digestive system. If the starch degradation is very fast, which is probable, then it is as though you were ingesting Lugol's.

Well, that is the question of all questions. What comes out of the starch after you digest it? That is something that I still haven't found an answer. After my experience with Lugol's and corn starch, I can assure you that what comes out of it is quite different than Lugol's.

The only utility I see for this way of ingesting iodine is that if the carbohydrate that you are using is a bit difficult to attack by the enzymes, then the iodine has the chance to be released maybe in parts of the digestive systems which Lugol's can't reach.

Yes, that is one of the benefits of this. Especially with potato starch since it's amylose molecules are much longer than corn's amylose so they are digested more slowly.

I will be interesting to try with different types of starch which will change the rate of liberation of iodine and the place of the system which iodine can reach.

I most strongly advise against experimenting with the other starches, especially with the corn starch since it gives purple and not blue iodine. Those who are sensitive to potato starch could perhaps try the tapioca or arrowroot starch, but I have no experience with them so I can't guarantee anything.

I give you the table from this magazine that talks about starch-iodine complex on page 264, in which you can see that the type of starch makes a big difference in color: Advances in Carbohydrate Chemistry and Biochemistry

I’m wondering if someone could point me a direction to answer :
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto last year, the only thing my doctor told me that I could do to prevent symptoms from worsening is to stop eating seaweed and marine alga, but is it really the only thing I can do? In addition, she said that I shouldn’t take too much iodine... now I’m confused, should I stop taking it entirely or should I keep taking it maybe once a week for some benefit? I sometime get goiter when my diet is out of whack so I’m sure that my overall lifestyle is the most important thing to watch out. But, if there is any specific thing I can do to ease the symptom, I would be happy to know.

Perhaps you could try supplementing with vitamin D?

The majority (85.3%) of the Greek Caucasian patients with HT studied who lived and worked in Crete had low serum 25(OH)D levels inversely correlated with serum anti-TPO thyroid antibodies. After 4 months of CF supplementation in the 186 HT patients with vitamin D deficiency, a significant decrease (20.3%) of serum anti-TPO levels was found. These findings suggest that vitamin D deficiency may be related to pathogenesis of HT and that its supplementation could contribute to the treatment of patients with HT.

You can also take a look at these studies:

I most strongly advise against experimenting with the other starches, especially with the corn starch since it gives purple and not blue iodine. Those who are sensitive to potato starch could perhaps try the tapioca or arrowroot starch, but I have no experience with them so I can't guarantee anything.

I don't think that the purple color is so significative, the color change because the chain also changes, but the kind of compound formed between iodine and corn starch is the same according to the information of the book you quoted, based in chemical evidence.

I don't think that the purple color is so significative, the color change because the chain also changes, but the kind of compound formed between iodine and corn starch is the same according to the information of the book you quoted, based in chemical evidence.

You should read this article: ScienceDirect
It doesn't talk about types of starch, but it does talk about color. They say that I11 is purple, and I13 blue.

I believe than Mohnach simply wasn't aware of importance of type of starch. What is inside of amylose-iodine complex was always controversial because there is no direct chemical evidence, only indirect. That is why you can find several different theories of what is inside the amylose-iodine complex.

So far, based on my personal experience of drinking the starch-iodine, I can say that with blue iodine (made with potato starch) I feel no negative symptoms that I felt with purple iodine (made with corn starch).

So far, based on my personal experience of drinking the starch-iodine, I can say that with blue iodine (made with potato starch) I feel no negative symptoms that I felt with purple iodine (made with corn starch).
Well, I will try to do some experiments with it and see what I feel. ;-)

[QUOTE = "Konstantin, post: 783213, miembro: 6267"]
Supongo que será lo mejor para usted detener cualquier forma de yodo durante 2 o 3 meses, tomar agua salada regularmente para que pueda ayudar a la desintoxicación y algo para ayudar a su hígado en este proceso de desintoxicación. He leído todas tus publicaciones anteriores y, a veces, es demasiado yodo. Sólo toma un pequeño descanso.
[/CITAR]
yo hago lo mismo,tomo agua con sal ,pero le agrego vinagre de manzana en proporc´on de uno a dosreposo y luego agrego agua hasta un vaso , alli le aplico 8 gotas de yodo, como comida vegetariana y mixta y no tengo ningun problema , por el contrario me siento muy bien, pero hay una particularidad uso sal de maras,una sala superior a la del Himalaya

[QUOTE = "Konstantin, post: 783213, miembro: 6267"]
Supongo que será lo mejor para usted detener cualquier forma de yodo durante 2 o 3 meses, tomar agua salada regularmente para que pueda ayudar a la desintoxicación y algo para ayudar a su hígado en este proceso de desintoxicación. He leído todas tus publicaciones anteriores y, a veces, es demasiado yodo. Sólo toma un pequeño descanso.
[/CITAR]
yo hago lo mismo,tomo agua con sal ,pero le agrego vinagre de manzana en proporc´on de uno a dosreposo y luego agrego agua hasta un vaso , alli le aplico 8 gotas de yodo, como comida vegetariana y mixta y no tengo ningun problema , por el contrario me siento muy bien, pero hay una particularidad uso sal de maras,una sala superior a la del Himalaya

JESUS BRAVO PARRA,

The iodine should be taken without any close dosage of vitamin C. Vinegar does have some vitamin C. It might be a very small amount but it will neutralize some of the iodine effect I would think.

WebMD
Apple cider vinegar is fermented juice from crushed apples. Like apple juice, it probably contains some pectin; vitamins B1, B2, and B6; biotin; folic acid; niacin; pantothenic acid; and vitamin C. It also contains small amounts of the minerals sodium, phosphorous, potassium, calcium, iron, and magnesium. Apple cider vinegar can also contain significant quantities of acetic acid and citric acid. It is used to make medicine.

You might also want to check out The Vegetarian Myth thread.

Since this is your first post it would be nice to just give a brief introduction about how you found the forum by reading some examples in the Newbies & Important Notices to All Members thread.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's a good time for my update.

Since all of my recent symptoms were quite new to me, it took me some time to discover what is good for me and what is not. In the end I think it's finally starting to pay off, since I'm feeling better and my weight is starting to increase (I lost a lot of weight since December).

First thing, when it comes to iodine, I had to stop using it, including the blue version, since it contains potassium, and this beast from the hell, whatever it is, and I suspect that it is Candida, loves potassium. So I will continue with my blue iodine experiments after I solve this current problem.

When it comes to the Vitamin C, it helped a lot, but I also had to abort taking high doses of it since it drops my blood pressure and I already have a low blood pressure. Blue iodine was also lowering my blood pressure, although in smaller amount, but it was causing me other problems.

But then I finally found a possible solution to my problem. Vitamin D! My aunt recommended it to me since it helped her with her problem (inflamed lymph nodule). So I searched the internet about it and I found some people that used it to cured their Candida, and I decided to try it. I wanted to use high dose, but alas, Vitamin D is also lowering my blood pressure, so the maximum that I can tolerate for now is 2500 IU. But even that allowed me to eat almost normally again, and as I said, I'm starting to see a slow increase in my weight. After some time of taking only VD I decided to reintroduce VC, but I can only take a small amount of it, less than 500 mg when taken together with VD. I think that this combo works even better than VD alone, since I can feel an inflammation in my throat when I take VC together with VD.

The first time that I took higher dose of VD (4000 IU) it was a little scary experience because I felt a very hot feeling in my lungs. I was feeling an occasional warm feeling in my lungs for a long time (X ray showed nothing), but I never felt this hot. I think that VD activated my immune system and caused inflammation in my lungs. The same night I also took a VC which caused additional inflammation in my throat, like I was having a flu.

The bad news is that with this small dose I will probably need a several weeks, if not months, to fully load my body with VD. But since I waited several years to discover what can help me, I think that I can wait a little more for, hopefully, full recovery.

There are a lot of good free articles about Vitamin D on the internet. It seems to be an equally important element for us as is iodine. Here are just a few of them:

There are a lot of good free articles about Vitamin D on the internet. It seems to be an equally important element for us as is iodine. Here are just a few of them:

And you could have a genetic predisposition that keeps your levels low. Have you ever tested your blood levels? It is fairly accessible.

Anyhow, is good to read about your progress!

And you could have a genetic predisposition that keeps your levels low.

Maybe. My aunt has low levels. But the studies show that many people have a low amount of it, even in the low latitude countries, which mine isn't.

Have you ever tested your blood levels? It is fairly accessible.

No. Nobody recommended it to me before. It seems that it is not a popular test because you have to pay for it since only the private labs do it. But I have noticed that I always felt better during the summer and always felt much weaker starting from October/November. But I never made a connection with Vitamin D. I also never knew that for the adequate VD production you need to take a short sunbath during the solar noon, or at least close to it, which is quite the opposite of what is generally recommended and what I was doing.

Anyhow, is good to read about your progress!

Thank you. Hopefully it will continue!

I’m wondering if someone could point me a direction to answer :
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto last year, the only thing my doctor told me that I could do to prevent symptoms from worsening is to stop eating seaweed and marine alga, but is it really the only thing I can do? In addition, she said that I shouldn’t take too much iodine... now I’m confused, should I stop taking it entirely or should I keep taking it maybe once a week for some benefit? I sometime get goiter when my diet is out of whack so I’m sure that my overall lifestyle is the most important thing to watch out. But, if there is any specific thing I can do to ease the symptom, I would be happy to know.

I post my result - just in case:
FT3 - 2.7
FT4 - 1.34
TSH - 3.57
TgAb - 608.0
TPOAb - 94.9

In order to decrease aTPO levels, one shouldn'e eat any gluten.
In case of Hashimoto, iodine doses should be high enough in order to protect thyroid from inflamation. Suggested minimal dose is about 50 mg of iodine (8 drops 5% Lugola)

I haven't found Iodine to be very effective against fungal pathogens in general in my personal experience, and I think it's quite likely that many fungal pathogens can feed on it.

I cured fungal infections of feet nails just washing it with weak Lugola Solution - about 0,1%. I also use about 30-50 ml 5% solution for 200 l bath in order to keep skin healthy. It's matter of doses. One shouldn't use doses under 50 mg iodine that promote infections

Iodine in the form of Lugol is just not very effective when used orally. It can improve the immune system, but direct killing of pathogens is hard to achieve. I have yet to find a successful approach, and I have read dozens of articles on how to improve it.

For those who want to do further research or experiment with iodine, you can take a look at another interesting study: USE OF ORAL IODIZED OIL TO CONTROL IODINE DEFICIENCY IN INDONESIA

Iodine in the form of Lugol is just not very effective when used orally. It can improve the immune system, but direct killing of pathogens is hard to achieve. I have yet to find a successful approach, and I have read dozens of articles on how to improve it.

For those who want to do further research or experiment with iodine, you can take a look at another interesting study: USE OF ORAL IODIZED OIL TO CONTROL IODINE DEFICIENCY IN INDONESIA

Persej,

I didn't see any reference to Lugol's in that Indonesia study. And that study relies heavily on UNICEF/PAMM/MI/ICCIDD/WHO. Do you really trust such a study?

Lugol's iodine
Lugol's iodine is a liquid made up of two parts potassium iodide for every one part elemental iodine in water.[8]

The Indonesia study used peanut oil and poppyseed oil. If Lugol's is not effective then I guess many of us are just reporting placebo effects.

I don't know why you are saying such things after most of this thread started with Dr. David Brownstein's studies.

Maybe. My aunt has low levels. But the studies show that many people have a low amount of it, even in the low latitude countries, which mine isn't.

No. Nobody recommended it to me before. It seems that it is not a popular test because you have to pay for it since only the private labs do it. But I have noticed that I always felt better during the summer and always felt much weaker starting from October/November. But I never made a connection with Vitamin D. I also never knew that for the adequate VD production you need to take a short sunbath during the solar noon, or at least close to it, which is quite the opposite of what is generally recommended and what I was doing.

Thank you. Hopefully it will continue!
Would an infrabed (near infrared) be helpful for Vit D for you?

Back
Top Bottom