SOTT monthly Earth Changes Summary video translations

@Oxajil, I am watching the February video right now and the strange sounds that could be heard happened in Nieuw-Bergen, Limburg which is in the South, not in the North-East. Should we leave it like that (and write a comment on the Dutch SOTT page?

@Oxajil, I am watching the February video right now and the strange sounds that could be heard happened in Nieuw-Bergen, Limburg which is in the South, not in the North-East. Should we leave it like that (and write a comment on the Dutch SOTT page?

Ah, yes! Yeah, I think a small comment would be good. Perhaps we can also link to this article (I changed the title to southeastern).

There is a couple of 'snownadoes' in the March 2019 release of the EC video collection and it's not clear to me whether this phenomenon belongs to the tornado category (originating from the sky/clouds) or dust devil category (from the earth/surface temperatures). It seems to me that an electrical charge plays part in it but the videos in the EC summary are not capturing the sky so I am not sure what the real cause could be. Knowing it would help in translating the word 'snownado' because literal translation into my native language does not work well.

When it comes to Wiki, typing in 'snownado' redirects to 'winter waterspout' which includes 'snowspout' and 'snownado' as synonymes of the same which is even more confusing. They are only talking about the vortex forming above water so do you have any idea? Having a clue about the cause would enable me to create/choose the right word for it.

A winter waterspout, also known as a snow devil, an icespout, an ice devil, a snownado, or a snowspout, is an extremely rare instance of a waterspout forming under the base of a snow squall.[18][19] The term "winter waterspout" is used to differentiate between the common warm season waterspout and this rare winter season event. Very little is known about this phenomenon and only six known pictures of this event exist to date, four of which were taken in Ontario, Canada. There are a couple of critical criteria for the formation of a winter waterspout. Very cold temperatures need to be present over a body of water warm enough to produce fog resembling steam above the water's surface. Like the more efficient lake-effect snow events, winds focusing down the axis of long lakes enhance wind convergence and likely enhance their development.

There is a couple of 'snownadoes' in the March 2019 release of the EC video collection and it's not clear to me whether this phenomenon belongs to the tornado category (originating from the sky/clouds) or dust devil category (from the earth/surface temperatures). It seems to me that an electrical charge plays part in it but the videos in the EC summary are not capturing the sky so I am not sure what the real cause could be. Knowing it would help in translating the word 'snownado' because literal translation into my native language does not work well.

I wouldn't worry about a literal translation because 'snownado' is not a formal/scientific name for those in English. The phenomenon is too new! Also, no one knows how or why either tornadoes, dust-devils or waterspouts form anyway.

If you can't find any popularly-used media/cultural term for them in your language, you could invent a word (Snow-icane! Snow-clone! Snow-devil!) or just describe it as 'tornado of snow'.

If you can't find any popularly-used media/cultural term for them in your language, you could invent a word (Snow-icane! Snow-clone! Snow-devil!) or just describe it as 'tornado of snow'.
That's how I tackled it so far :) No, we don't know the exact mechanism yet. I was just trying to get somewhat closer to the root of the thing. You are right, no need to bother with it too much at this stage of our current knowledge.

Subtitles for march summary are up and the SRT file is here:

Below is the translation table ... :

... and subtitle file:

Below is the translation table ...

... and subtitle file:

Thank you! Croatian translation is ready for upload.

Attachments

• ECS_Mar_2019_Cro.srt.txt
    19.2 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom