Are You Getting Enough Sleep? Sleeping properly?

I too have a messed up sleeping schedule. I work 3 evenings (3pm to 11pm) and two nights (11pm to 7am). The three evening shifts I get to bed by at least 2 or 3am and get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep in total darkness because the room is in the basement and has no windows. However I have to start unplugging the wifi unit. The other two night shifts though I get pretty messed up on. The first night I sleep in the same conditions as the other nights but I go to sleep in the morning, when I'm normally getting up, and sleep till evening instead. However my last night I have to head back home in the morning and here is my problem. I get off at 7am and drive home, wrap up my errands for the week, do my food shopping and cooking for the week, my laundry, maybe a sauna session (if I feel up to it), a nice hot shower and then I can get some rest. Usually I just wait by this time until night again and resume my usual sleeping routine so I end up going around 30hrs or so without sleep.

The reason I do this is because if I go straight home and go to sleep I lose my whole first day off (not to mention I'll be up all night). Then I have to make my next day 'errand day' and it leaves me no time to get anything done. Especially since my parents make a point to visit me that one day a week and if something else comes up I can't fit it in either. My days off are actually much busier than my work days but reading this thread makes me think I should find some way to revamp my schedule to a somewhat normal sleeping cycle. I just don't see how that's gonna happen yet.

A couple of weeks ago I spent my whole night shift shoveling the sidewalks in that storm that NYC had, went without rest the next day on my usual pattern and ended up sick the next three days, so there's no doubt in my mind that what I'm doing is no good for me. I'll have to try something different tomorrow (as this would be my long day without rest) and see how it works out. I'll get the book on order too.

SolarMother said:
We have a fan for white noise and I use earplugs as well. We still go to bed at 8ish pm...that helps a lot with any anxiety. Have you and Mr Tigersoap tried this yet?

We use a white noise machine for our daughter, since we live in an apartment building. I use earplugs but Tigersoap cannot stand them. As far as going to bed at 8 pm.. Unfortunately, since our daughter goes to bed around 7.30 pm, we try to have as much 'us' time as possible. We usually go to bed at 11 pm. Once in a while, we're too tired and go at 10 pm, but 8 pm is still too early for us. I'm sometimes finished with a client at 7.15 pm, so...

I tried yesterday to darken my room as good as possible and I need 2 more blankets getting it that dark that I can't see my hands anymore and a ladder cause my windows have too a fanlight. So that it is kind of aerobic, thrilling and stretching before going to bed. ;D

And I slept about from 23.15 till about 8. The other idea is, building a kind of a simple tent around the bed (getting some used and huge black cloth from somewhere) to circumvent the sport before sleeping.

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
[...]We use a white noise machine [...]

Here is a link, what a white noise machine is: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=White_noise_machine&useskin=monobook
because I didn't know myself.

Polonel said:
Gosh, last night experiment runs pretty short because of an awful nightmare, followed by a sleep paralysis and this "there's someone evil in your room" feeling. At least I didn't grind my teeth... This is gonna be a looong day :zzz:

Keep going. You have to pass through those levels (which includes some awareness of same) to get where you need to go.

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
I use earplugs but Tigersoap cannot stand them.

I really can't stand those disgusting little waxy things in my ears :D

I can sleep in total darkness but I am not able to sleep comfortably if I am totally shut down from the world.
I need to be able to react on the spot if awaken suddenly (there was a fire a few years ago) or if our daughter is sick and calls for example.

Noise does not disturb me so much at night (if a neighboor slams a door for example) has it used to do in the past, I can fall back asleep without problems.
I think the EE and diet helped in this as it lowered down my anxiety considerably.

Since I am on Melatonin,5HTP and EE I find that my sleep is way deeper and I often wake-up in the same position I fell asleep.

Tigersoap said:
Mrs.Tigersoap said:
I use earplugs but Tigersoap cannot stand them.

I really can't stand those disgusting little waxy things in my ears :D

I can sleep in total darkness but I am not able to sleep comfortably if I am totally shut down from the world.
I need to be able to react on the spot if awaken suddenly (there was a fire a few years ago) or if our daughter is sick and calls for example.

Noise does not disturb me so much at night (if a neighboor slams a door for example) has it used to do in the past, I can fall back asleep without problems.
I think the EE and diet helped in this as it lowered down my anxiety considerably.

Since I am on Melatonin,5HTP and EE I find that my sleep is way deeper and I often wake-up in the same position I fell asleep.

I'm the same. My system filters sounds when I sleep and I can't sleep if I can't hear because I've spent years listening for the children at night.

Some people told me that I was lucky to be deaf while sleeping (I don't wear my hearing aid to bed), so I don't get to wear earplugs nor there's a need. After my 8 hours of sleeping, I'd rest for a bit but a slight vibration would startle me up.

I tend to get a full 8 hours of sleep. And, when I started working at a job (last year to now) that'd take me driving for an hour each way, I had to change my schedule to which I had to go to bed around 7:30 in the evening (after taking 5-HTP and Melatonin) and wake up around 4am (so I can get on internet for an hour - no internet at work is allowed) to leave for work at 5:45am.

I will get the book when I am able.

GRiM said:
Uh oh. I have been putting this of to long. My sleep schedule is such a mess.

I know from experience that I function better with correct sleep-patterns but sometimes I have to work night and sometimes earlier. I cant really see a good solution for it but this have to be dealt with soon I think.

Yep, my working vs sleeping schedule is a bit a mess too, not because I have to work at night (the latest shift I have ends at 23:45) but also because if I were to sleep 8 hours and at the reasonable time, I would have only two free hours on most of the week days after coming back from work and before going to sleep. Which isn't enough. On the other hand, it is probably more than what most of other people (especially who have children) have at their disposal during weekdays, so I am not going to be too whiny about it. ;)

Another thing to consider is, that not sleeping well or enough seriously messes up with my inner equilibrium, physical or emotional, even if doesn't seem so at that moment. Only after getting a good night sleep I can tell the difference. So since being tired increases my tendency to dissociate or not thinking clearly and then waste time anyway, extra waking hour is just an illusion that doesn't do any good. Quality vs quantity, or so it seems. :) So perhaps I am going to give it a try.

Last night went to sleep at 3 and completely darkened the room to the point when I couldn't see my hands or anything even after getting used to the dark! And it was a good night sleep, though noises in the house in the morning did wake me up several times. Another good reason to go to sleep earlier. Not sure about ear plugs either because don't like to be totally isolated from the outside world and not being able to hear if there would be anything that would require my attention or reaction. Also 5htp and Gaba help a lot with going back to sleep quickly.

Paragon said:
Barking dogs can be very frustrating! I don't like loud noises in general, especially sudden ones. They activate my fight or flight reaction. I think I've became conditioned to react negatively towards sounds in the kitchen or sounds that other people make when I'm relaxing, I feel like I've done something wrong. This one for me is a very strong programme and it stems from my teenage hood when my step father would aggressively clatter stuff about just to let me know he was angry and that I had done wrong. Don't know how to fix that one! Sorry bit off topic too.

Fwiw, I had similar reactions until several years ago, Paragorn. They also steamed from my childhood where I could be suddenly awaken in the middle of the night, or had to be alert enough to hear my mother knocking on the door (she didn't want to take the keys with her when going out), and she would panic if I didn't open the door quickly enough. Same was with answering phone calls or any other external interference, including trying to figure out her mood by hearing steps or other noises in the house.

The realization of the ridiculousness of such reactions (or their harming effect on self, to be exact) came to me one day, something like ten years ago, when I was already living on my own and with roommate. I was taking a nap during a day when heard the phone ringing. And my body's first reaction was to jump out of bed and run toward the phone even if my brain was still half asleep. Apparently, my right leg was also still asleep (and numb), so instead of grabbing the phone I found myself on the floor after getting a painful bump! So there, when lying on the floor, I heard myself saying that it was ok to let the phone ring if I wasn't available, that it is a different situation now, and no danger or threat. Took me a while to integrate this understanding though, and still can get a bit of fleeting anxiety if I hear someone outside making noises doing stuff or mentioning my name.

Perhaps what could be helpful for you is during such moments to repeat to yourself that it is ok to set personal boundaries (including emotional reactions), and even if there is something that would require your attention, it is perfectly ok and understandable to choose when to attend to it. That there is nothing wrong with it (and it doesn't mean that you won't take responsibility if you are indeed somehow responsible), and that your fight or flight reaction is just a phantom response to something that at this time is not threatening at all. What you could also do is take an active approach to counter such fear thoughts by breaking down and analyzing the situation, including doing pipe breathing.

This fight or flight response is activated by a faulty wiring, and it seems that only active countering - repeated reasoning and reassurance (rewiring) - during the moment of the reaction can make the difference. Also working on developing healthy boundaries (still working on this one!) that can minimize internal considering or fear that until this external conflict or influence will be resolved, you won't be able to be calm. That it all has to do with you, your fault or you being responsible for other people reactions. Which isn't true.

edit: spelling.

Thank you for the topic Laura, the book is now on my wish list.

Paragon said:
Barking dogs can be very frustrating! I don't like loud noises in general, especially sudden ones. They activate my fight or flight reaction. I think I've became conditioned to react negatively towards sounds in the kitchen or sounds that other people make when I'm relaxing, I feel like I've done something wrong. This one for me is a very strong programme and it stems from my teenage hood when my step father would aggressively clatter stuff about just to let me know he was angry and that I had done wrong. Don't know how to fix that one! Sorry bit off topic too.

I too have HUGE problems with noise, although for different reasons then you Paragon. In my case it had to do with a sense of having my personal space violated when a child, something to which I am still very sensitive to today, and it manifests itself when needing absolute silence at night. Fortunately where I am living now the neighbours are considerate and don't engage in late night parties or very loud talking after midnight, but it is the first time in years.

Keit said:
GRiM said:
Uh oh. I have been putting this of to long. My sleep schedule is such a mess.

I know from experience that I function better with correct sleep-patterns but sometimes I have to work night and sometimes earlier. I cant really see a good solution for it but this have to be dealt with soon I think.

Yep, my working vs sleeping schedule is a bit a mess too, not because I have to work at night (the latest shift I have ends at 23:45) but also because if I were to sleep 8 hours and at the reasonable time, I would have only two free hours on most of the week days after coming back from work and before going to sleep. Which isn't enough. On the other hand, it is probably more than what most of other people (especially who have children) have at their disposal during weekdays, so I am not going to be too whiny about it. ;)

Same here. My working hours vary the latest finishing at 21.30, after which I have to tidy up the room and lock up. The other problem is that my partner often finishes work at 00.00 only getting home by 1.20am, and I just refuse to sleep without him being home. I simply can't relax without knowing that he's safe and sound at home. But while he doesn't need to wake up early, I will usually need to wake up at 8 or 9 am.

Throughout the years I have always prioritized sleep, so that I would, for example, have my alarm clock set for the latest I possibly could to maximise sleep time. However, lately I'm finding that even when I can only go to bed late, I do feel better when I set my alarm clock for an hour earlier then needed to get some me morning time. This is something that I've been exploring lately, getting more sleep time and a more stressful morning, or less sleep time but gain time for breathing and Qi Qong exercises, and in general just do things slower. The latter has been helping me reduce levels of stress, and I find myself catching ups for the lost sleep on my days off.
So, I am very aware that this is not ideal, but my new year resolution is to, on the days where neither me nor my partner works until late, go to bed earlier and have an early morning start. It feels so much better when we manage to do so!

Legolas said:
Here is a link, what a white noise machine is: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=White_noise_machine&useskin=monobook
because I didn't know myself.

Thanks Legolas :)

Interesting topic, thanks Laura.

If this was done year ago, I would say: I have problems with insomnia, waking up every 2 hours during night, having extremely light sleep, waking up on smallest sound (like car noises miles away).

My zodiac sign is Cancer, yes moon and it's cycles affect my sleeping, working and mood a bit (OK more than a bit), especially during a full moon, when I had problems with extra energy and unbeatable insomnia, and than 10 hours later waking up with headaches (or migraines & muscle pains) and feeling like someone was beating me up whole night long and not to forget occasional nighmares during biggest attack of insomnia.

Well, that all changed in last 12 months, thanks to:

1: Regular EE practicing
2: Detox
3: Laura's diet & forums recipes

Right now, when I sleep I sleep, and I sleep well, and I wake up fresh.

PS: I noticed if I do not practice EE (at least 3 stage breathing or/and POTS) for 4-5 days, I wake up during the night 2-3 times, and last but not the least when practicing EE I sleep for 8-9 hours straight no waking up, no going in the bathroom, nothing, just firm relaxing sleep.

Once more Thank you Laura :thup:

To those working a night shift: That's got to be hard on your system! But if you can't avoid it, try this total darkness experiment. It would be very interesting to see what happens.

To those having nightmares or weird dreams: Keep trying! We are producing more melatonin, so that's normal I think. We just need time to adjust. I started off having horrible dreams, and now they are just weird, as if I had taken drugs :). I trust that it's just a phase.

btw, I managed to sleep 10 hours yesterday, and today I woke up in a good mood and feeling better than in the past few months. I got much more done in the same amount of time. So I ain't stopping this!! :thup:

Oh, something that can help you is to never eat late in the evening. Have dinner at around 6-7 the latest. And not a big dinner.

Ailén said:
To those working a night shift: That's got to be hard on your system! But if you can't avoid it, try this total darkness experiment. It would be very interesting to see what happens.

To those having nightmares or weird dreams: Keep trying! We are producing more melatonin, so that's normal I think. We just need time to adjust. I started off having horrible dreams, and now they are just weird, as if I had taken drugs :). I trust that it's just a phase.

btw, I managed to sleep 10 hours yesterday, and today I woke up in a good mood and feeling better than in the past few months. I got much more done in the same amount of time. So I ain't stopping this!! :thup:

Oh, something that can help you is to never eat late in the evening. Have dinner at around 6-7 the latest. And not a big dinner.

Interesting thread, thanks for the info.

I work one or sometimes two nights a week at a restaurant, so on those nights I don't get to sleep until 11pm or so and usually it takes me a couple of days to get back on track.

I have been having weird dreams and nightmares almost every night, mostly just weird, but sometimes pretty awful. I was writing all of them down for a while, but at 2 or 3 that I can remember most nights I just write down the most vivid/interesting dreams now. I figured that this has alot to do with processing emotions that are coming up as a result of continued meditation, EE practice, breathing/relaxation and chiropractor visits. I didn't think about my body producing more melatonin, thats interesting.

Lately I've been eating really big breakfasts, medium sized lunches and small dinners around 6pm. For me this is really helpful. I have more energy during the day and I sleep better at night.

There's an article in Dr. Mercola's newsletter this morning about electronic screens disrupting circadian rhythms. Here is an excerpt:

Your Circadian Rhythm is Closely Tied to Your Overall Health

Your circadian rhythm has evolved over many centuries to align your physiology with your environment. However, it is operating under the assumption that you're still behaving as your ancestors have for generations: sleeping at night and being awake during the day.

If you push these limits by staying up late at night, depriving yourself of sleep, or even eating at strange hours (such as at 2 a.m.), you are sending conflicting signals to your body. As a result, you body doesn't know whether it should be producing chemicals to tell you to go to sleep, or gear up for the beginning of your day.

But maintaining this natural circadian rhythm affects far more than just your sleep pattern. Your body actually has many internal clocks -- in your brain, lungs, liver, heart and even your skeletal muscles -- and they all work to keep your body running smoothly by controlling temperature and the release of hormones.

Your body temperature and hormone production also vary with your personal internal clock. This, in turn, influences such things as:

• The easiest time to detect disease in your body
  • The times when you'll be less sensitive to pain
  • The times when you'll be more productive at work

Disrupting your natural rhythm can also make you more vulnerable to disease. For example, reduced melatonin levels, due to prolonged exposure to light, is known to increase your risk of cancer.

It also activates your stress response and weakens your immune system, which is why irregular sleep cycles can lead to stress, constipation, stomach ulcers, depression, heart disease, and many other illnesses.

For more information and examples, please see the article How Your Body Clock Regulates Your Metabolism.

Keeping Your Body Clock Running Smoothly

As a summary, the following guidelines can help to keep your circadian rhythm in its natural cycle:

• Use full-spectrum light bulbs in your home and office during daytime hours.
  • Turn off computers and electronic gadgets once the sun sets, and avoid watching TV late at night. Again, the blue light emitted from TV's and computer screens mimic the blue light found in daytime sunlight, which can alter your melatonin production.
  • Use "low blue lights" in areas where you spend most of your time in late evening, such as your living room, bedroom, and bathroom.
  • Sleep in total darkness! If there is even the tiniest bit of light in your room it can disrupt your circadian rhythm and your pineal gland's production of the hormones melatonin and serotonin. This is the "hidden" secret that most people tend to ignore, but which can dramatically improve the quality of your sleep. Personally, I sleep in a room that is so dark, it's even pitch black at noon. Liberally use blackout shades and drapes to achieve this.
  • Sleep when it's dark outside and get up when the sun comes up. At minimum, strive to sleep between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. This means you should be in bed, with the lights out, by 10 p.m. and be up by 6 a.m.
  • Avoid working the night shift. It's been linked to significantly lower levels of serotonin, which may cause sleep problems, anger, depression and anxiety. If you currently work the night shift, I would strongly suggest trying to switch your hours, or at the very least not keeping the night shift for longer than a couple of months at a time (and giving your body a chance to readjust in between).

For even more helpful guidance on how to improve your sleep, please review my 33 Secrets to a Good Night's Sleep. If you're even slightly sleep deprived I encourage you to implement some of these tips tonight, as high-quality sleep is one of the most important factors in your health and quality of life.

Sometimes I can't get around using my computer in the evening, so I started using a program on my computer that changes the light that comes from the screen from the usual bright blue glow to a redish light that is supposed to be easier on your eyes and disrupt your circadian rhythm a little less. There is one called f.lux (_http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/) that will run on Windows, Mac or Linux and changes the tint of your screen automatically depending on the time of day. The reddish tint at night is a little weird at first, but your eyes adjust after a minute or two. Maybe it would be helpful for some of you that have weird schedules and can't avoid using your computers late at night. If nothing else I find it causes much less eye strain.

Polonel said:
Any words in this book about bruxism ? You know, this awful nocturnal teeth grinding. I suffer from it for two years now. I've never took the time to record myself during the night, but according to my girlfriend and my flatmates, it's really painful to hear.

FWIW Polonel, I had the same problem once, I would grind my teeth while sleeping, so much that it would sometimes wake up my x partner! It was a period when I worked 2 jobs (fulltime job + bartender at night) and I was definitively not getting enough sleep. When I would bartend, I would come home very late at night and sleep maybe 4 hours to get up for the next job. Plus it was also a very stressful period which I think took its toll. Anyways, I quit my second job and started going to bed at a reasonable hour and cut out the stresses in my life and what do you know....puuufffff haven't had that problem since.
Hope that helps ;)

Seamas said:
Sometimes I can't get around using my computer in the evening, so I started using a program on my computer that changes the light that comes from the screen from the usual bright blue glow to a redish light that is supposed to be easier on your eyes and disrupt your circadian rhythm a little less. There is one called f.lux (_http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/) that will run on Windows, Mac or Linux and changes the tint of your screen automatically depending on the time of day. The reddish tint at night is a little weird at first, but your eyes adjust after a minute or two. Maybe it would be helpful for some of you that have weird schedules and can't avoid using your computers late at night. If nothing else I find it causes much less eye strain.

If you use linux an alternative program is Redshift (_http://jonls.dk/redshift/), thats what I've been using.

GAIA said:
Polonel said:
Any words in this book about bruxism ? You know, this awful nocturnal teeth grinding. I suffer from it for two years now. I've never took the time to record myself during the night, but according to my girlfriend and my flatmates, it's really painful to hear.

FWIW Polonel, I had the same problem once, I would grind my teeth while sleeping, so much that it would sometimes wake up my x partner! It was a period when I worked 2 jobs (fulltime job + bartender at night) and I was definitively not getting enough sleep. When I would bartend, I would come home very late at night and sleep maybe 4 hours to get up for the next job. Plus it was also a very stressful period which I think took its toll. Anyways, I quit my second job and started going to bed at a reasonable hour and cut out the stresses in my life and what do you know....puuufffff haven't had that problem since.
Hope that helps ;)

About grinding teeth, I recall reading somewhere on the forum and possibly in the Ultra Mind Solution that grinding teeth can be related to heavy metal toxicity, and if I'm not mistaken I think that mercury specifically was pointed out, as well as a magnesium deficiency. Might not be related to you at all, but just in case.

Back
Top Bottom