Are You Getting Enough Sleep? Sleeping properly?

Ailén said:
btw, I managed to sleep 10 hours yesterday, and today I woke up in a good mood and feeling better than in the past few months. I got much more done in the same amount of time. So I ain't stopping this!! :thup:

That's great to hear, after what you had mentioned about your serotonin levels having been down as a result of the Paloebug -- I hope the trend continues :)

This thread is really timely, by the way -- I had read Lights Out! last summer and planned to put the advice in the book into practice this winter when we are supposed to need more sleep as well as go to bed earlier. My own sleep cycle got all messed up during Christmas break, though, and I'd gotten into the habit of staying up late to try to catch up on all the work I'd gotten behind on. I'm resolving as of today to try to correct this -- I'll be taking a melatonin in the evening from now on to try to readjust my bedtime until I get back to where I'm supposed to be and then try to keep it there for the long-term.

For those of you who have ordered, or are considering ordering, Lights Out!, I wanted to mention that I found the writing style really enjoyable -- not only is there a lot of good information in the book, but it's really funny in places and a generally engaging read. The review I wrote is found here.

Very interesting thread. FWIW I have been working 4x12 hour night shifts every other week and despite supplementation and cleaning up my diet (not 100%, I still break the rules now and again - and especially over this Christmas period! :-[) I have noticed bags developing under my eyes and my mood is down more often than not. I have been going through a particularly stressful time the last 2-3 months which has exacerbated the inflammatory factors, although the bags and depressed mood developed before this. I'll prepare my bedroom along these guidelines and record any findings here :)

Maybe this is a topic for another thread but its along similar lines: I don't supplement my diet with Melatonin. Maybe it's time to do that! But my question is would this do more harm than good for someone who is working alternate day/night shifts? I would be forcing my body to enter deep sleep at irregular times rather than "waiting out" the 4 night shifts in every 16 days. It is a rhythm after all :)

For information on how to handle rotating, night, or evening shifts, there is a chapter on this in 'The Circadian Prescription' by Sidney Baker and Karen Baar.

This book compliments 'Lights Out'.

Just a tip for those considering earplugs. I was using these for years up until about 4 months ago. When they get dirty, put them in a sock and tie or knot the end of the sock and wash in the laundry as usual. This will clean them but to get them to puff up again, put them in the dryer (in the sock). This way, you can prolong their usage without having to buy new ones as often.

I got tired of using them after awhile and just decided to stop. I think what helped me to not awaken so easily was that I became less attached to sounds (focusing on them and becoming upset). This may not work as well for people with children because of the reasons mentioned earlier. For what it's worth.

Trevrizent said:
For information on how to handle rotating, night, or evening shifts, there is a chapter on this in 'The Circadian Prescription' by Sidney Baker and Karen Baar.

I've seen this advertised on Amazon -- thanks for the tip!

Trevrizent said:

Yes, thanks! :)

Laura said:
Polonel said:
Gosh, last night experiment runs pretty short because of an awful nightmare, followed by a sleep paralysis and this "there's someone evil in your room" feeling. At least I didn't grind my teeth... This is gonna be a looong day :zzz:

Keep going. You have to pass through those levels (which includes some awareness of same) to get where you need to go.

Can you give a little more information on this Laura? I'm wondering about these levels that need to be passed through. Whenever I take melatonin I get sleep paralysis and often have the "something evil in the room" vibe, like Polonel was describing, so I stopped taking it. This is the first I've heard about this being a transitional state that needs to be overcome, though. Is there anywhere I can read about this? Does it talk about this in "Lights Out"?

I'm heading out to buy tinfoil today to do up my windows (my roommate thinks I'm insane, but she also thinks I'm insane for cooking everything in beef fat, so no real damage done there:) ). My room is dark at night, but there is some residual light that comes in from the street. I can make out shapes in my room once my eyes have adjusted, so it's obviously too bright. Thankfully, I don't have any glowing lights in my room - my clock is battery operated and only glows when I press a button on it.

I also just ordered the Lights Out book. Looking forward to it!

Paragon said:
I don't know if that would apply to people without Tinnitus too, but I can see how it can be negative since you are blocking out all sound when apparently your brain needs a bit of background noise (whatever that means!) to go to sleep.

FWIW, I wear earplugs and have Tinnitus too. It doesn't seem to hurt anything or make me more sensitive to sounds. I can still hear things, but they just don't wake me up. Like I can hear the drone of the air when it's on. So I'm thinking there is still background noise, just at a lower level. I'm wondering what level of decibels is necessary though, as the only place that has no background noise would be space :P.

As odd as this sounds, my body has this one night about every 2 months that it does not wish to sleep. So that night, I hardly get any, but I don't feel too exhausted afterward. Not sure what that is all about.

Flux2012 said:
As odd as this sounds, my body has this one night about every 2 months that it does not wish to sleep. So that night, I hardly get any, but I don't feel too exhausted afterward. Not sure what that is all about.
I've had that too in the past - particularly after group Satsang events/meetings. Lots of processing of some kind going on, I have presumed. But strangely not feeling tired after essentially no sleep. Strange.

Silly me !

Small update : today I followed the plan. Last meal at 7pm, beans, potatoes and an egg, and I started to feel very tired at 9pm. So, I decided to go to bed an half an hour later.

It's now 1am here in Paris, and I'm up since 30 minutes, and I'm not tired. Of course, each time I go to sleep too early, it's like my body enters in "nap mode". I should probably be more gentle with my body clock...

Regarding magnesium and mercury, as Gertrudes pointed out, I'm already taking magnesium supplements, and detox is on its way. I don't feel ready for hardcore DMSA chelation right now.

Polonel said:
Silly me !

Small update : today I followed the plan. Last meal at 7pm, beans, potatoes and an egg, and I started to feel very tired at 9pm. So, I decided to go to bed an half an hour later.

It's now 1am here in Paris, and I'm up since 30 minutes, and I'm not tired. Of course, each time I go to sleep too early, it's like my body enters in "nap mode". I should probably be more gentle with my body clock...

If you wake up, you are supposed to stay in the bed, in the dark and just rest. You will go back to sleep. What is important is being in the dark so that the hormones can continue to secrete and also so the gut bacteria can be balanced. Best to not eat a carb meal before bed... the egg was fine, but leave off the beans and potatoes.

EE regularly since I started that takes me a full EE 60, and 20 mint mint short. I go to bed at 21:00 / 21:30 22:00 meditation sleep after I wake up at 6:30 / 7:00. Now the mom going to switch completely to 21:00 / 21:00 and wake up at 6:20 / 6:30 - morning workouts - after work - after work training - books - ee evening and sleep:) Now I will try to darken total darkness . HMM and what night? ie sleeping in the attic by the window and falls to me, starlight, the moon light ? if you also cover the window to not see starlight ? ?

Laura said:
… Best to not eat a carb meal before bed... the egg was fine, but leave off the beans and potatoes.

Following on from the above, and, regarding the timing of eating carbohydrates and proteins.

Sidney Baker with Karen Barr in The Circadian Prescription said:
Carbohydrates Provide Energy for Your Body’s Nighttime Tasks
… And circadian rhythm dictates that the time when you most need them is at night. … your body is so engaged with energy-consuming chores that it doesn’t have enough resources to keep consciousness, biochemical replenishment, and detoxification all going on at once.

Carbohydrates provide the large amounts of fuel your body requires overnight for synthesis, or the making of new molecules.

The liver is in charge of this disposal process; it also makes and supplies molecules for other organs. The liver does the heaviest work on the nightshift. …

While you sleep, … your body maintains a high level of sugar in the blood. The sustained sweetness of your blood at night is your body’s way of delivering the sun’s energy to your liver and all other organs.

During the day your body sustains a lower blood sugar level that keeps tumbling down unless you eat. … Your body manages your evening carbohydrates differently. When you eat the same amount of carbohydrates in the evening, your body is able to keep a uniform blood sugar level between the hours of midnight and 6:00 a.m. by converting glycogen to glucose, even though you are not eating anything. Without an evening load of carbohydrates, though, your body will have a harder time keeping your blood sweet.

Carbohydrates and Sleep

If you put off consuming carbohydrates until evening [4pm onwards], you will sleep better. Not only are you providing your body with the appropriate raw materials it needs to do its nighttime work, but the carbohydrates also allow the absorption of tryptophan and other nutrients that are needed for sleep. Carbohydrates are like the ferryman that tryptophan uses to cross the river to your brain, where it is converted to serotonin, the mother of the family of nighttime neurotransmitters.

Why We Need Protein
So if you are not eating proteins to burn it as fuel, why do you need it? Obviously, if I’m asking you to eat most of your carbohydrates in the evening, then more fat and protein will automatically end up in your breakfast and lunch. But eating more of your protein during the day is not simply a default based on avoiding carbohydrates. Just as there are important reasons why your body needs carbohydrates at night, there are important reasons for eating proteins during the day. … Protein supplies materials needed for one of the chief biochemical cycles of daytime hours.

… Protein provides a platform for the operation of the daytime chemistry of consciousness and action. Called adrenergic chemistry, …

… morning is the time for what you might call the `’up`’ part of your body’s chemistry. It’s associated with the presence of higher levels of adrenaline, hydrocortisone, thyroid hormone, and other substances required for a state of alertness and activity. And because protein provides these raw materials for adrenergic chemistry, failure to eat it in the morning leads to a general inefficiency in body chemistry, …

Notice the counterintuitive paradox here; everyone thinks the carbohydrates are for energy, so they find themselves puzzled when a breakfast of doughnuts and juice leaves them fuzzyheaded, exhausted, and hungry by midmorning. Taken in the evening, the same doughnuts and juice, however unhealthy, are appropriate and compatible with the nighttime activity of sleep.

… The Ten Rules of the Circadian Diet

Rule 1: Put protein in your morning meal, snacks and lunch. …

Rule 2: Move most of your carbohydrates from breakfast, lunch, and morning snacks to the evening.

After 4:00 p.m., your goal is to cut back on protein and emphasize healthy carbohydrate-rich foods …

It’s not possible or desirable to transfer all the carbohydrates that you eat from morning to evening; instead, I’m talking about emphasis. …

Nor do you completely cut protein out of your evening meal. … carbohydrates taken in the morning dissipates during the day; when taken in the evening it is sustained for nighttime use.

Rule 4: Eat plenty of fresh fruit, but save most of it for the evening.

Rule 5: Avoid caffeine except at around 4:00 p.m., when it is circadian neutral.

Rule 8: Consume healthy oils.

Rule 9: Drink eight glasses of water a day.

Rule 10: Eat regularly.
… The best schedule for eating is breakfast at 7:00 a.m., lunch at midday, and supper in the early evening. …

This may help, or not.

Trevrizent said:
Laura said:
… Best to not eat a carb meal before bed... the egg was fine, but leave off the beans and potatoes.

Following on from the above, and, regarding the timing of eating carbohydrates and proteins.

Sidney Baker with Karen Barr in The Circadian Prescription said:
Carbohydrates Provide Energy for Your Body’s Nighttime Tasks

Except that Wiley in "Lights Out" is totally down on carbs in the evening. So there is a conflict of advice here. I think her's is based on evolutionary biology and he is not taking that into account. The issue is the balance between insulin and other hormones during the night and when the insulin is up, the other hormones can't do their jobs.

Back
Top Bottom