Are You Getting Enough Sleep? Sleeping properly?

Legolas said:
The first days I have been sleeping about 9 hrs and went to bed pretty early it started from 23.30, 23.00, 21.00 to about 23.00 or earlier. And at one day I didn't eat anything from the food I prepared in the evening, so I stayed a little bit hungry over night and this caused me to stand up at four, cause I couldn't sleep anymore because of hunger.

You should eat before bed if you get hungry during the night.

Legolas said:
The light which I'm using for the night is a headlamp with red LEDs so that I'm getting not shocked if I should stand up.

And thanks for the link (computer screen), I give it a try.

NO light at all. Not even a red LED. Put a little flashlight where you can put your hand on it instantly if you need to. I have a little keychain light on my night table.

Laura said:
Legolas said:
The first days I have been sleeping about 9 hrs and went to bed pretty early it started from 23.30, 23.00, 21.00 to about 23.00 or earlier. And at one day I didn't eat anything from the food I prepared in the evening, so I stayed a little bit hungry over night and this caused me to stand up at four, cause I couldn't sleep anymore because of hunger.

You should eat before bed if you get hungry during the night.

That's what I'm doing again, it has been just a test how it works out without eating.

Laura said:
Legolas said:
The light which I'm using for the night is a headlamp with red LEDs so that I'm getting not shocked if I should stand up.

And thanks for the link (computer screen), I give it a try.

NO light at all. Not even a red LED. Put a little flashlight where you can put your hand on it instantly if you need to. I have a little keychain light on my night table.

Sorry that I have been not clear enough, I meant using the headlamp only when I need it.

I've made my room a little darker since reading this thread. I have had a large piece of cardboard in my window which blocks out most of the light, except for some that creeps out the sides. I also went around and taped all of the LED's on electronic devices. And I turn my alarm clock around and put a sock over it :P. I get near pitch black for about 4 hours until the sun comes and a little gets through the window.

I've noticed that I'm more tired now, and will go back to sleep after my normal 8 hours. Maybe I can back off of my 400 mg of HTP, as it's kind of annoying to sleep so long.

I went to sleep early last night and didn't set my alarm to see how long I'd naturally sleep. I got up once to go to the bathroom. But then went back to sleep and totaled about 11 hours.

Keit said:
Just an update after sleeping several nights in total darkness. It seems that either my system requires much more than 8 hours of sleep (and it is very probable, though not possible at the moment, while even 8 is a stretch, perhaps only on days off) or it creates much more melatonin because I have real trouble waking up in the dark and then feel kind of groggy until middle of the day. Also stopped taking 5htp, Gaba and 1.5 melatonin in the evening since it looks as unnecessary. That was actually the reason why in the past I liked to keep the windows a bit open so there will be light in the room upon awakening. So it would be really great to stop the world and just hibernate for couple of days. :zzz:

Added: Oh, but the mind feels clearer in a way a bit hard to define yet, and the overall mood is better. It beats the grogginess, imo.

I feel the same . some days I even sleeping until 8 AM for 10 hours too. Feels very refreshing

So it's been a week since I'm sleeping in total darkness. I absolutely love it! I have vivid dreams every night and I feel very refreshed.

Psyche said:
So it's been a week since I'm sleeping in total darkness. I absolutely love it! I have vivid dreams every night and I feel very refreshed.

I agree. I also stopped taking 5-htp - don't need it, and lowered my melatonin dose!

Who would have ever thought that something as simple as REAL darkness for sleeping could be so interesting and beneficial? Geeze, I've slept with a light source for MOST of my life. No wonder I nearly died from adrenal fatigue!

Psyche said:

Whenever I'm on a lake in the summer, sleep is best, without a lantern at night, total darkness, the fresh air all night and total silence in the night, zero cars.

Now I can not avoid the noise, unfortunately I live near the tracks and hear the train every 1.5 h during the night, fortunately, has already got used to it.

which introduced changes in sleeping:

- Tuesday, Wednesday I go to bed at 21:00 - EE hour meditation - I get up at 6:00
- Monday, Wednesday, I finish training at 22:00 so I go to bed at 22:30 - 20 mint and 10 pipe bertach mint meditation. I get up at 6:00
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday - I go to bed at 22:00 (here I must strive to 22:00) EE 50 minutes I get up at 7:00.

- Well, unfortunately I do not have complete darkness in the room I have a curtain over the window while letting in some light from the moon - I wonder if the light bonfires? , moonlight interferes with sleep? light on the skin?

- wind the room at bedtime and during meditation (50mint), now the weather is too cold to sleep with the windows open

+ I'm more rested
+ 3-4 dreams every night that I remember
+ I feel like I was sleeping under the sky

Lukas said:
- Well, unfortunately I do not have complete darkness in the room I have a curtain over the window while letting in some light from the moon - I wonder if the light bonfires? , moonlight interferes with sleep? light on the skin?

I don't think star light or moon light is that bad as opposed to artificial lights. I can see a teensy bit of the moon light through a small crack in my shutters, but I'm still having vivid dreams. The rest of my room is pitch black.

Wiley's other book "Sex, Lies & Menopause" talks about moon light and hormones. She says that it does have an effect and that our hormonal cycle was in sync with the cycle of the moon. Nowadays there is light all the time, so we're out of sync. But that is why the T.S Wiley hormonal protocol (estrogen and progesterone) is done according to the cycle of the moon.

Legolas said:
Hopefully my tent idea around my bed works out, so I ordered cloth which is used in theaters to block light out, if this shouldn't work I could make curtains out of it. :)

Years ago I was sleeping in a very noisy apartment without any shutters or curtains. So I made a tent with thick cloth around my bed and it worked very well. It also felt like a small sheltered space.

Maybe you'll want to add a layer of silk to your cloth so you have light protection and also waves protection.

Also, I've been sleeping in total darkness for a few days and the dream activity really increased. It's like I'm dreaming non-stop all night long!

Belibaste said:
Legolas said:
Hopefully my tent idea around my bed works out, so I ordered cloth which is used in theaters to block light out, if this shouldn't work I could make curtains out of it. :)

Years ago I was sleeping in a very noisy apartment without any shutters or curtains. So I made a tent with thick cloth around my bed and it worked very well. It also felt like a small sheltered space.

Maybe you'll want to add a layer of silk to your cloth so you have light protection and also waves protection.

Also, I've been sleeping in total darkness for a few days and the dream activity really increased. It's like I'm dreaming non-stop all night long!

I'm thinking about this same layer of silk protect from wifi, colth and meybye baldachin from silk ? but DARK that will cover light and protect from wi-fi

97_1183652297_598085.jpg

Sulawesi_baldachim.jpg

Lukas said:

If you read the posts in this thread again you will have the answer to this question and will understand why complete darkness is essential.

The following quotes are from Lights Out by T.S. Wiley and Bent Formby. Enjoy!

Lights Out by T.S. Wiley and Bent Formby said:
When extended day length created by artificial light-and-dark cycles became the norm a short seventy years ago with the widespread use of the lightbulb, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer suddenly became the official causes of death on the coroner's reports, instead of the usual widespread use or injury common before the advent of the lightbulb.

Ever since these diseases began to surface as major killers around mid-century, the efforts on the part of science and medicine to explain the startling rise never examined any other overwhelming environmental change except diet. And all these years later, as Americans continue to die, the doctors and the researchers all continue to fish in the same pond.

It's time to see the light.

The biggest change human beings have lived through in the last ten thousand years happened less than seventy years ago. Electricity and the widespread use of the lightbulb qualify along with the discovery of fire, the advent of agriculture, and the discovery of antibiotic treatment as a point of no return in human history.

In 1910, the average adult was still sleeping nine to ten hours a night. Now the average adult is lucky to get a full seven hours a night. Most of us don't. Those numbers add up to an extra five hundred waking hours a year. In nature, we would sleep 4,370 hours out of a possible 8,760, or half of our lives. Eighty years ago, we were down to 3,395 hours. Now we are lucky to get a measly 2,555. If nature keeps score, and we bet she does, that means we only get to live about half as long. We may have doubled that figure with surgery and antibiotics, but think how long we could live if we slept, too.

In the 1970s, Americans devoted 27 hours a week to "leisure" time. In the 1990s, we're down to 15. And we work at least 48 hours a week, compared to 35 for the average worker in the 1970s. Then we had hobbies, we were players of baseball and builders of model ships, members of the garden club and Boy Scout troop leaders. Now, in the 1990s, although the number of hours we devote to work and leisure are approximately the same, the ratio has shifted considerably. In the thirty years since 1970, we've found new passions to add to the old duties—exercising, going to the doctor, commuting through ever-increasing traffic, watching 150 channels and real movies on cable TV, and the newer time bandits—Email and eBay. No wonder there's no time left to sleep or take care of our children.

So why didn't the guardians of our health look at stress and lack of sleep before they placed the entire blame on food? Go figure. And even when they did examine the diet of Americans and offered advice, they got it backward. They told the public to eat sugar and avoid fat.

By illuminating how your body has evolved with the planet and everything else on it, and by explaining how it uses food to initiate sleep and deal with stress, we will be able to tell you exactly what happens—to your mind, your body, and the planet—when you eat. We're going to show you the light.

The science of circadian rhythmicity explains it all. All the mysteries can be unraveled. We've looked at the scientific evidence in this book through the lens of evolutionary biology and biophysics. The resulting molecular maps show us the way home and retell us what we always knew. Sleeping controls eating, eating and stress control reproduction. Sleeping, eating, and making love control aging.

The hormones melatonin and prolactin are major players in your mind-body-planet connection. They communicate with your immune system and metabolic energy system about light-and-dark cycles. Insulin and prolactin orchestrate the brain chemistry governing serotonin and dopamine in your brain, to control your behavior and mood. Serotonin and dopamine control your behavior toward food and sex. Bottom line: Not enough sleep makes you fat, hungry, impotent, hypertensive, and cancerous, with a bad heart.

The sun's energy is the catalyst for all life. The amount of light that hits you informs your "system controls" about the rotation and orbit of the planet we live on. This global positioning helps our instincts to keep a bead on the food supply. It's this cosmic communication that has been telling us, since time began, when to eat, what to eat, and when to reproduce to maximize food availability. We and all the other organisms on this planet evolved with the spin—in and out of the light of the sun.

The fact that you are reading this means the system was successful.

The fact that you want to read this means the system is breaking down.

Most Americans are sick and tired of watching their weight and worrying about their hearts. We're about to tell them how to stop.

We could have called this book Lose Weight While You Sleep, but it seemed too cheap and easy. We almost called it Kept in the Dark after we found out exactly where all the studies proving our premise were conducted—in Washington, D.C. No less than the National Institutes of Health confirm that it is a scientific "given" that light-and-dark cycles:

• turn hormone production on and off
• activate your immune system
• time neurotransmitter release daily, and especially seasonally.

We've just told you that once upon a time we existed in sync with all biophysical cycles and rhythms in nature. Now, not only do we control the food supply, but we have pushed back the night and the weather. In Lights Out, we quote you the price for playing God.

Here comes the bill. The unending artificial light we live in registers as the long days of summer on that internal sundial because night never falls and winter never comes. As mammals, we are hardwired to store fat when exposed to long days and then to sleep or at the very least starve . . . for a while.

But now we don't sleep and we don't starve, either; at least, we don't starve for carbohydrates. That's why we're fat and getting fatter. It's endless August.
While fire, with its illumination, extended our day enough to affect intellect and reproduction, limitless electricity may just put us under. Unless the government does it first.

If the NIH has run most of the studies that provide the evidence that depression, obesity, heart disease, and cancer can be prevented in a great many cases by sleeping more and turning the lights off, why have they kept us in the dark? Why do they continue to insist high-carbohydrate diets and exercise will cure us? Are they really trying to kill us?

The truth is always stranger than fiction. Scientists with the MacArthur Mind/Body Foundation at the University of Chicago, at NASA, and at the National Institutes of Health and the National Institutes of Mental Health in Washington, D. C., have been studying biophysics for at least the last decade. This means that the ultimate scientific think tanks in America are researching the same science we have researched for this book. As you read this, they, too, are proving that we are seasonal eaters and breeders with a feast-famine metabolism who develop diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and severe depression on anything less than 9.5 hours of sleep a night for at least seven months out of the year.

Edit: scanner debris

HEALTHY LIVING?

What other modern environmental cues are triggering ancient survival switches? The answer to that question is a chilling scenario worthy of a science fiction novel. Or a book like ours.

Working late in bright lights after dark, or watching David Letterman, or checking late-night E-mail, for even just half an hour, all register as the long days of summer to your inner environmental controls. This means that your brain will force you to seek energy for storage by eating sugar. Sugar (carbohydrates) is the only path to insulin release; insulin's job is to store excess carbohydrates as fat and cholesterol so you have something to live on when summer's over.

The abdominal fat pad common in insulin-resistant, high-cholesterol heart patients and Type II diabetics would, in another time and place, have served to keep internal organs warm and would have been utilized as energy during normal famine (winter). Increased intake of carbohydrates (sugar) is always dumped into increased cholesterol production, too, because the carbs lower the freezing temperature of the cell membrane. In the real world, you'd never have access to that much sugar unless it was summer before winter. You don't live in the real world.

The next time your doctor says your cholesterol is too high and you should cut back on the fat and exercise more, tell him he's mistaken. Tell him you're not sick, you're just going to hibernate and you don't want to freeze. He might laugh.

You, on the other hand, should be crying. You're in big trouble.

All of the systems that have evolved to keep you alive and have brought you to this point are shouting, "Famine's coming!!!"

When you exercise day and night to stave off the weight gain your body and mind crave, you kick in your "stress response." The message you're sending to those systems is

"Oh, my God, a famine's coming and there's a tiger chasing me!!" Trust us, this is no solution.

In fact, exercise just might be the last nail in our collective coffins. The stress response enacted when you run for your life on that treadmill causes your cortisol levels to rise. If you do this once in a while, say, every ten days, the natural episodic cortisol response will keep your heart and brain healthy. But if you exercise like a maniac more that once a week, the high cortisol levels resulting from all of the chronic exercise actually mimics the stress of mating season, when the long hours of light and the competition (especially for males) kept cortisol at yearly highs. Sexual competition is the most stressful situation possible in nature, short of being killed. Mating season would come to naught without a fat base to nourish a pregnancy through the winter. So it's no coincidence that carbohydrate craving to put on fat, and high cortisol and high sex hormone levels all coincide. There must be a bun in the oven for most mammals by August or September in order for the baby to be born in April or May, in the spring, when food is plentiful.

So you're in the gym, it's November, it's anywhere from 6:30 to 9:30 P.M., and at least 3 bazillion watts of fluorescent lights are on and being intensified by reflecting mirrors that are shining right into your eyes and all over the skin of your overexposed body. You lift weights, run or jog on a treadmill or track, and, if you're really suicidal, you're on a StairMaster or you're spinning.

Know that, to your body and mind—which were evolved over millennia to recognize cues in nature—you are in a fight, a death match, just like the head butting wildebeests on the Nature Channel. You are in a fight for an egg, for immortality, or at least for a chance at the next round. This fight seems reasonable to your body because the long light at night (gym glare) means it's late summer and you must mate or go berserk. (Anybody who's witnessed the mating behaviors going on at the Vertical Club can't possibly question our hypothesis.) That's why cortisol is up during the day—to supply glucose to muscles to fight or run away and to keep you calm for decision-making processes—for mating. That's why, when we are constantly bathed in unending light, we all feel so antsy (read: paranoid, aggressive, hysterical, urgent), even those of us not exercising ourselves into oblivion.

In this chronic state, not only are you keeping your blood sugar up, taxing your insulin response system with cortisol's blood-sugar-mobilizing effects, you are actually becoming insulin-resistant as you exercise, too.

This fact means exercise can make you fat.

While you're exercising like a maniac and living low-fat, if you even smell a cookie you gain weight—and you're pouring sex hormones, too, causing cancer and suppressing your immune system in the bargain. Chronic high cortisol also skews your time perception, making you feel continually rushed. It's the altered time perception that fosters much of the late-night stalling before bed, while you stay up under the impression that there must be more to do or that you haven't finished your work. Then you stuff yourself with more sugar because you haven't slept, and your insulin is sent even higher. We know this behavior alone makes you fat and sick.

Really, it's not the lack of exercise or the meat or the butter. It's not fat at all.

Really.

If eating saturated fat caused obesity, we would already be well on our way to reducing obesity nutritionally. Actually, we would all look like supermodels. We're eating less fat and exercising more than ever before, but we don't look anything like supermodels.

In fact, we really look like hell.

We're fatter and sicker than ever before in our nation's history. Not only do we still look incredibly bad, but our plan to eradicate heart disease, cancer, and diabetes is shot to hell, too. The average American has actually gained eight and a half pounds since the "low-fat war" on obesity began.

The assumption we've held dear for thirty years has been that losing weight by cutting fat and exercising would lead to massive improvements in the occurrences of cardiovascular diseases, not to mention diabetes and cancer.

But that hasn't happened.

The disastrous slide in the health of the American people corresponds to the increase in light-generating night activities and the carbohydrate consumption that follows. Just consider the increase in the average weight of young adults and teens over the last fifteen to twenty years. It has, predictably, increased by more than ten pounds. The percentage of overweight teens rested at 15 percent in the 1970s and rose to 21 percent by 1991. Now it's up to 30 percent.

A recent front-page article in The New York Times cited television as the cause of the increase of obesity in young people. Its claim rested solely on the "couch potato" premise, pleading a lack of activity (exercise). It is TV, all right—but not the way they think. Most young people today were born into a low-fat/ heavy-exercise world. More than a third of them are self-declared vegetarians and bikers and hikers and Rollerbladers. There are approximately 12.5 million of them in America today. These young adults, when asked why they're vegetarians, predominantly say it's for their health; the rest just think it's cool. They have no idea what they're doing to themselves.

THE ENDLESS SUMMER SYNDROME

Besides a steady increase in heart disease and obesity, statistics already show that diabetes and cancer are also on the rise.

Maybe it's not just the food.

In the January 12, 1998, issue of U.S. News and World Report, the head of the Harvard School of Public Health's department of nutrition, a very fickle man, Walter Willet, was queried about a low-fat diet's failure to cure any diseases or save any lives. His weak reply, "It was just a hypothesis tc begin with," showed no shame.

That hypothesis has cost more lives than the last two world wars and the Vietnam conflict put together. Just check the American Cancer Society's and American Heart Association's statistics for the last three decades In 1999, it was predicted that 1,257,800 people would die from cancer alone.

If you'd like a future projection, check the American Diabetes Association's mystifying numbers on the growing population of Type II diabetics. Now researchers are on the lookout for genetic markers for obesity, because if there's anything we're sure of, it's that obesity is the beginning of the end. Obesity is the precursor for adult-onset diabetes. It's no coincidence that in the year 2000 there will be more than 25 million Type II diabetics. That's about 98 percent of the entire diabetic population. If all 25 million become diabetic, then a great proportion of them will certainly have heart disease and high blood pressure, two conditions that lead to stroke. Those complications are the leading killers of diabetics.

It's been predicted for years now that reducing dietary fat would decrease cancer, but cancer statistics show us an increasing incidence of colon cancer with an associated decrease in death. That means colon cancer is increasing, but people are dying from it less often. This is not a cure. For breast and prostate cancer, both increased incidence and increased death can be seen. These numbers on breast cancer, prostate cancer, and colon cancer are the ones that, most certainly, should have shown a drop, given all the dietary changes Americans have made in the last fifteen years. Instead of acknowledging low-fat's defeat, medical research gave us Mevacor, Provachol, Proscar, and now Tamoxifen and Raloxifene.

Medicine admits that the "improvement" in cancer statistics is derived from early detection, not from treatment or prevention. But early detection only extends the time of awareness—the victim just knows sooner that he or she is going to suffer and die. It doesn't actually change the date of death. Early detection never saves lives; more often it only prolongs them long enough to skew the numbers. All these numbers prove that we're on the wrong course. We agree that dietary intervention certainly can reverse the course of disease. Cutting carbohydrates would cure obesity and most diabetes, but not heart disease, and certainly not all cancer. The end of this story lies in extinction.

Food is part of the equation, all right, but it is not the answer. The answer lies in circadian rhythmicity and evolution.

The answer is to eat and sleep and reproduce in sync with the spin of the planet or go the way of the dinosaurs. The long hours of artificial light that confuse your ancient energy regulation system also destroy the lining of your heart, so excess cholesterol can obstruct blood flow. Your subconscious has, over the course of evolution, been conditioned and fine-tuned to believe and act on the following when the lights stay on too long: "Eat carbohydrates now or die later." Your subconscious, too, has, over the course of evolution, been conditioned and fine-tuned to believe and act on the following when the lights stay on too long: "Mate or die.” This light-responsive instinct has been the basis of our feast-or-famine metabolism and ultimate survival for at least 3 million years. All the effects of chronic light exposure and the carbohydrate consumption that follows that exposure would have, in another place and time, prepared us for the worst—for no food and for the shorter, darker, colder days of less sun.

We have always "feasted" to endure the "famine" that always fol-lowed—until now. Unfortunately, the truth in our time is that we eat carbohydrates now and die sooner. Your body translates long hours of artificial light into summertime. Because it instinctively knows that summer comes before winter, and that winter means no available food, you begin to crave carbohydrates so you can store fat for a time when food is scarce and you should be hibernating. This is the formula:

A. Long hours of artificial light = summer in your head
B. Winter signifies famine to your internal controls
C. Famine on the horizon signifies instinctive carbohydrate craving to store fat for hibernation and scarcity

This storage is accomplished by:

1. Increasing carbohydrate consumption until your body responds
to all the insulin by becoming insulin-resistant in muscle tissue;
2. Ensuring that the carbohydrates taken in end up as a fat pad;
3. Prompting the liver to dump the extra sugar into cholesterol production, which will keep cell membranes from freezing at low temperatures.

If you sleep at night for the number of hours it would normally be dark outside, you will only crave sugar in the summer, when the hours of light are long. It is the "perennial adaptation," or the chronic, constant intent to hibernate, that causes overconsumption of carbohydrates and obesity and its attendant high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and inevitable heart failure.

Steps 1, 2, and 3 also correspond to the hormonal portrait of Type II diabetes—a disease that, in truth, is the end result of excruciating fatigue from light "toxicity." On the way to the end, you'll definitely encounter one of the following—obesity, heart disease, stroke, mental illness, or cancer. The medical community, the FDA, the National Institutes of Health, and your TV will tell you that the cause is a plague from the great beyond that can only be cured by an 80-percent nonfat diet, at least three to six hours of exercise a week, and a cadre of supplements and vitamins.

Who are you going to believe?

The market is saturated with information on low-fat diets: how to eat N low-fat, why to eat low-fat, who should eat low-fat. There are only a few dissenting opinions, though the numbers are growing every day. It's slowly leaking into the American consciousness that "for some people, low-fat may not be the best choice;' according to Walter Willet. This half-mumbled, hedged recant is too little, too late for those we knew who didn't live through the low-fat movement.

This national health catastrophe has, in real time, been at least seventy-five years in the making. In all those years, countless souls have struggled and failed to follow nutritional advice that never could have led to success. They failed because it was never really about food. We know from history that the diseases of civilization all hit hard after the Industrial Revolution, when electricity made the potential of unlimited cheap artificial light possible. It was the electric lightbulb that turned night into day. The price-performance curve for the lightbulb mirrors the price-performance curve for the laptop computer. A 100-watt bulb costs 33 cents at any Home Depot. In 1883, the same amount of light would have cost the consumer $1,445. The experts have concluded that machines usurped our physical well-being; in reality, it was the refined and sugared processed food that became part of our lives for the first time, at the same time as the lights extended our day and changed our appetites, that did it. Although the instrument of destruction may be food, the cause of death is something much more insidious.

CAUSES OF DEATH

Your appetite is but one symptom of this deathly dysfunction, just as obesity is correlative with heart disease but is not the cause. The real truth is that the urgent need to sleep is also the cause of Type II diabetes. All diseases that are not caused by contagion and injury are born of immune dysfunction by way of metabolism. Your immune system is governed by two substances: prolactin and melatonin, and both of them are controlled by light-and-dark cycles. It's these major biological controls that are deranged. Seasonal variation in daylight, and intensity of daylight, control budding, growth, and dormancy in plants and in animals; seasonal changes in ambient lighting control hibernation, migration, and breeding. To expose ourselves to the unremitting glare of artificial lighting for more hours than it is actually daylight is asking for trouble. Until seventy-five years ago, we spent up to fourteen hours a night, depending on the season, in the dark.

By the 1920s, most people could afford to keep the lights on for a couple of hours at night after sunset. They could afford a couple of Edison's new light "bulbs" and the electricity to keep them on because the same energy source was building an economy that utilized an enormous workforce. The lights brought jobs to pay for the lights. By the late 1920s, expensive machinery in factories had begun to hum around the clock. Suddenly they were running twenty-four hours a day, when, only a decade before, gaslight was too expensive to use all night. Before electricity, factories ran only ten hours a day. This second Industrial Revolution remapped the economic landscape.

Night-shift work brought more money in countless ways. Not only did it line the pockets of the factory owners, it also provided more jobs and money to an economic underclass of new immigrants. But, more important, night-shift work brought a service economy with it. That service economy spawned transportation, all-night places to eat and all-night grocery stores, night tennis courts and baseball games, gambling joints, and on and on. The electricity powered the telephone. which is the basis of our present science-fiction communications capacity, which has allowed small markets to become global markets. There's even a new piece of terminology in our language for this phenomenon, thanks to the Internet—twenty-four/seven. It was a ridiculously bad piece of luck in an otherwise pretty fair century that, at exactly the same time that sugar started to be used to process and preserve packaged "food," we had the opportunity to stay up all night and eat it.

Granted, there weren't a lot of packaged foods on the market at that point, but the ones that were on the market used highly refined (by machine) corn syrup to prevent moisture loss and extend shelf life. Most packaged foods still do. Even the shrink-wrapped whole-grain low-fat honey-sweetened bran muffins you find next to the cash register in the mini-mart have been preserved with sugar. It's illuminating to note here that the incidence of Type II diabetes dropped sharply during World War I and World War II, when sugar was rationed.

THE INSTRUMENT OF DEATH

To understand why carbohydrates are the instrument of death, we need just a little science. Only recently have science and medicine begun to acknowledge a condition called chronic hyperinsulinemia. That's the term for chronic high insulin made in your own body. This can only occur when you chronically consume carbohydrates. You could never chronically consume carbohydrates in nature. Trees and plants fruit only in one season and flower in the other. Living on sugar for more than a month or two in a row would not be possible unless you were preparing to hibernate like a woodchuck for a long winter nap.

The media doesn't talk much about insulin unless it's reporting on Type I diabetes, so most people know insulin as a medicine for Type I diabetics, who for reasons that are viral or autoimmune in origin can no longer make their own insulin. The diseases known as Type I and Type II diabetes are both characterized by uncontrollable blood sugar.

Insulin is at the center of both forms of the disease because it controls blood sugar by binding to cell receptor sites like a key opening a lock. Once the floodgates are open, the blood sugar can enter and energize all of your cells. Insulin resistance is the body's inability to respond to the insulin that you normally produce because receptors have retreated to save your life. Every function of your body, from basic molecule-to-molecule communication to complex operations like appetite control or temperature regulation, is in a tight zone of normalcy called homeostasis. The retreat of your insulin receptors is an attempt to control how much sugar is allowed in. Too much is not normal.

The telling clue to our impending doom is that the incidence of insulin resistance is occurring in younger and younger people. The entire population is aging in "fast forward." The logical response would be to retool all the food factories and advise people to cut out sugar, right? That's the approach we took with fat and the population fell right in line. Believe us, it wouldn't be as easy with sugar. It would be more like Prohibition. We are as addicted to a low-fat, high-sugar diet as alcoholics are to alcohol, because high insulin levels create the same brain state as alcohol does.

Alcoholics "sleep it off" after a binge, not only because the alcohol itself has a drug-like effect on their opiate receptors but also because the huge carbohydrate load of the grape, grain, potato, cactus, or, in the case of rum, sugar cane in the drink literally puts them to sleep. Remember this as you go for that glass of wine after dinner. The spike of insulin after a binge makes the serotonin in the brain turn into melatonin and it's lights out. In our culture, we take in as much carbohydrate in a day as a rummy on a binge. For him and us, the natural recovery is the same.

Sleep it off.

RESURRECTION OF THE TRUTH

Could it really be the loss of sleep destroying the endocrine clock that controls weight gain? Could how much you sleep really control your appetite? Our findings are almost too simple and extraordinary to believe. But here, we remind you of the legendary rule of Occam's razor which states: "All things being equal; the simplest answer is always the correct one." We know that, for most of you, what we're telling you is like finding out that everything you've grown up believing is a lie. Well, it is Don't you want to know?

It turns out that everything we've come to know as fact about our health turns out to be no more than wild conjecture. Conjecture that has no science to support it. Conjecture that, to some people, made sense.

Not anymore.

...were born, like every other animal, to hunt in the light—whether it be for fruit and fish in the summer or wild pig and bark in the winter—and to rest in the dark. Cultivating grain near our living sites changed all that. Although a year-round supply of carbohydrate energy did help us out-populate almost everything except the microbes, this new miracle, agriculture, also gave us our first self-inflicted plague. The relatively sudden change in the concentration and timing of our carbohydrate food supply polished off more than a few of us by tipping the balance of our nutrition from 90 percent protein to 80 percent carbohydrate (sugar).

For all previous human time, although carbohydrates were available in months from spring to late fall, we never craved it until the hours of fight changed, when March turned into April and April into May. By lime and July, our nights were only seven or eight hours long, compared the dead of winter, when the blackness lasted at least thirteen hours each day.

Agriculture meant that we were suddenly living on an ever-increasing amount of carbohydrate (sugar) for even more of the year due to our ability to control the growing seasons. After making it through hundreds of milliennia and a couple of Ice Ages without sugar out of season, the suddenness, in terms of evolution, of its arrival caused the same kind of we're seeing now.

Our most recent unspecified and general collapse began with the discovery of electricity. Our first innocent maneuver was to carry away glowsmis from lightning strikes. This "fire" had real possibilities. Next we to learn how to reanimate coals that had gone cold. We lived for maybe a million and a half years, then, less than eighty tiny T took up residence with the gods.

LIGHTS, BIG CITIES, BIG BUCKS

...we've gone ourselves one better: We've learned to re-create that gave us the magic of hot coals. We hold the god Thor hostage. Harnessing the primal energy of lightning gave us the keys to the we're going to pay.

WELCOME TO PARADOX

By 1925, all American cities of any size at all were lit; only rural areas lagged behind. It's an important point that rural areas are still the most
common sites of exaggerated longevity in Americans. All of the diseases that modern medicine declares war on never seem to touch any of those ninety-year-old farmers who have lived on bacon and eggs and butter for most a century.
The media, following current low-fat medical wisdom, calls that a paradox. We don't.

We see these examples of less disease and longer life span correlating to delayed arrival of electric lighting. The REA, or Rural Electrification Administration, which was founded in 1935, was brought into being fewer than 11 farms out of 100 had electricity at that time. In 0 out of 100 were lit, but it wasn't until the very late 1970s that 99 percent were wired and glowing. The REA is still a viable and active organization, bringing wires and twenty-four-hour lights to U.S. territories - Puerto Rico, so that we can all die together.

Weather, food supply, and sexual competition have all served to "terraform" us and all other species to the landscape and the times we live in. It
in the last half of the last million years or so that we humans have taken upon ourselves to create the means to our own extinction and
countless other species. Electricity not only gave us cheap, renew ending light; it gave us the means to control all of nature, plants and animals alike. Illuminating the dark meant we could have tractors headlights and backlit microscopes, as well as control our fellow with cattle prods and electric fences.

X-PLANATIONS

We can't really fight the future, but we sure as hell can stall. By truly understanding all of the turning points and synergistic mechanisms of bare on earth, it is possible to work the knobs and dials to stave off extinction. Right now, there's no hope of control because Americans are suffocating and ultimately dying under layers of incoherent information.

The TV drones on all day, program after program, about how to "lower your fat intake and increase your exercise," while your doctor repeats the party line. Nabisco puts "the fat" (?) back into SnackWell's. Fen-Phen is pulled off the market, and then put back on the market. Prozac sales soar. The newspapers, of course, confuse the public by prematurely releasing any small hope of salvation ... Angiostatin, Endostatin, Tamoxifen, Raloxifene, Mevacor, Provachol, Zyban, Allegra, Valtrex ("It's about suppression"), and, of course, Fen-Phen's close cousins, Meridia and Orlistat. For those of us just too tired and too wired to get it up, there's Tylenol PM and ultimately Viagra. Meanwhile, you, your friends, and family get sicker and sicker.

We intend to tell you what it all means. In the following chapters, we're going to give you a peek at what lies just beyond the shifting line that defines the limits of our knowledge. The world is stranger than we ever thought. Newtonian physics are just the tip of the iceberg. It's a quantum universe out there, especially when it comes to your health. The incomprehensible aspects of cosmic templates, your behavior, your fate in the form of your genes, and illness are connected at higher and higher levels of interactivity, where it all comes together to make a new kind of sense that has far more meaning than you've ever imagined.

Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of nature.

Quantum mechanics is a perfect example. Newtonian physics conk never accommodate light. Falling apples, the velocity thereof, even some push-pull in the form of gravity, perhaps, but never the quantum essence of light. Sunlight comes in packets of energy we call photons. These packets of light energy, also called quanta, are simultaneously both a particle and a wave. Imagine a bouncing ball of light that leaves a trail of light as r bounces. That bouncing ball of light—the photon—is a also wave energy. The light wave left behind can be heat, brightness, or vibration energy, depending on the rhythm of the bounce. Light, temperature, asp. gravity control all energy metabolism and reproduction on the molecule level in every venue here on earth. Therefore, they control your beak and your very existence.

In the June 5, 1998, issue of Science, Jay Dunlap from the department of biochemistry at Dartmouth Medical School admitted freely:

Circadian rhythms and the cellular oscillators that underlie them are ubiquitous—and for good reason. For most organisms, dawn. means food, predation, and changes in all the geophysical variables that accompany the sun—warmth, winds, and so on. It's a big deal when the sun comes up, and most living things time their days with an internal clock that is synchronized by external cues. Given this common and ancient evolutionary pressure, circadian clocks must have evolved early, and common elements are likely to be present up and down the evolutionary tree. A series of papers appearing in this week's Science, Cell, and Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reveals an appealingly similar pattern in the assembly of circadian oscillators ranging from fungi to mammals and gives us a close-up view of the way the gears within the clock drive its circadian feedback loop.

What the man said was: We and everything else alive, from plankton and fungus to elephants and ants, are synchronized to the orbit and rotation of the earth in and out of the sun's light to assure us a food supply. All things great and small have internal sundials that measure time with molecular clocks in every cell that switch enormous cadres of regulatory genes on and off. The light, whether a particle or a wave, always sparks biochemical reactions. The whole ball of dirt heats up and cools down, heats up and cools down, over and over again, day in and day out. Plants grow. We animals eat them and each other. We die and become fertilizer. Plants grow, and it starts all over again. World without end. Amen.

All of this wild chemistry is happening on a spinning, gyrating, oscillating earth that, if you could hear the song of the cosmos from outer space, rings like a bell. The sun metabolizes and respires. The earth heaves and sighs, and we and the earthworms make everything fertile over and over again. The ancients were right on. There is an ever-churning circulating flow of energy driven by the light. Every part of us reads the changing light intensity and spectrum. When you hold the back of your hand up to the window, cells called cryptochromes in your bloodstream pick up the blue spectrum of the light through your skin. These cryptochromes carry a piece of the sky all through you. That light energy and the carbohydrate (sugar) you eat even keep the symbiotic bacteria that live in the dark deep of your middle thriving. And in return for being a good host, they keep you thriving.

...switches on genes that control the machine nanosecond by nanosecond, you balance on the board on the log.

This whole "human sub-machine" is an integrated part of the larger machine of the environment, or biosphere. Every living thing is an interactive machine or biocomputer programmed for adaptive intelligence. That means the definition of life is the ability to learn and change in response to experience. This experience-based decision system allows each life form to change in response to every other life form, because hormones control your behavior and your genes.

The actions you take in a day are not really derived of free will. They are, rather, a product of thoughtware. The elements in the environment control the hormonal processes in your body that program your brain to control your behavior. So a brain without a body is mindless, but a body without an environment is brainless. The fluctuating fat base on that body is really an immune response that protects and makes you viable in all seasons. Your behavior with regard to food cravings and appetite is simply an immune response, too.

Everything we coexist with is balanced in tension with us. Imagine two people at a gym throwing a heavy ball back and forth. When two people play "catch" with a heavy ball, they are sort of pushed apart because of the weight. The constant exchange of weight keeps the game going. It's the same with life. Back and forth, back and forth. To stay it the game, we have a circumscribed existence with a narrow set of options. Consider these options a "playing fields' The hours of light you are exposed to control actual genetic "on and off" switches, enzyme activity, and, most important, the growth of four pounds of symbiotic bacteria that live in your gut. These guys are the keys to life and death and dress size.

WE ARE NOT ALONE

Your "personal bacteria" are constantly at war with other bacteria viruses over you. How this Armageddon creates and maintains yo immune system—the same immune system that controls your metabolism and fertility—is the key to the whole shooting match between light and health. But this battle only rages at night, when you sleep. Every morning, the outcome of the war predicts not only your immunity, fertility, and weight but your mental health, too.

Our lives, you see, are not our own.

We are symbionts, controlled by a different life form with priorities of its own. When we're in the light, we pick up the light through our skin and carry its energy, in cells called cryptochromes, down to the symbiotic bacteria that live in our middles.

They love light and they love sugar.

We think they love reproductive hormones, too. The common observation that young people and the elderly have weaker immune systems is a misinterpretation. The truth is that reproductive adults have stronger immune systems than the elderly and little children because the bacteria in our guts love sex steroids for breakfast and because when Ire reproduce we make more condos for the bacteria to live in. That principle is the reason women often have diarrhea during a menstrual period, when their hormone levels are flat and the bugs are leaving a soaking ship.

ONE IS THE LONELIEST NUMBER

li!'ten Korth, in his article "Co-evolutionary Theory of Sleep," published Journal of Medical Hypothesis in 1995, agrees with us that the development of sleep as we know it was an evolutionary strategy to keep us with the microbes.

The mat of bacteria in your gut exudes endotoxins that control your physiology. The endotoxins exuded are cell-wall constituents that are of like pheromones or germ sweat. As the bacteria thrive over the of a day, the endotoxins build. At a certain level, your immune kicks in to take them down, so you continue to thrive. It's what's as a host response. We only go to sleep when a substance called endotoxin LPS is exuded over the course of the day by these friendly bacteria in our guts. We go to sleep when LPS reaches a critical enough concentration in our bloodstreams to trigger an immune response. Sleeping
is that immune response.
White cells called macrophages and leukocytes and kill some of the bacteria in your system. It's well known that sleep is induced by an immune "expression," or a cytokine, called interleukin-2, which happens in response to the LPS put off by our gut bacteria.

These "neighbors" have become active participants in our entire existence as it relates to the spinning planet and all of its other inhabitants. There's more of them than us. They're everywhere. Our gut alone contains 1 kilogram of bacteria. There's more in your mouth and on your skin. All evolving species had to evolve around, or, more to the point, with, bacteria. They owned the joint way before any of us got here.

We had no choice but negotiation.

Our coevolution is just a case of domestication on both parts. Over the millennia of symbiosis between them and us, our human immune systems have evolved in response to their orchestration. They gave us an immune system as a self-controlling mechanism and as defense for their turf. For us, sleeping is actually just "thinning the herds' Bacteria ranching is just like a successful cattle ranch operation, in which homeostasis is achieved by eating or selling off just enough of the herd to keep it manageable. Our domestication of bacteria works the same way. The herd and the rancher both benefit. The evolutionary tactic of sleep is just a sneaky adaptation that allows us to get the edge on them, once every planetary rotation. The inequity in any tug of war only arises when one side stops pulling; therefore, no sleep, no edge.

The immune expressions, or cytokines, that ensue from high levels of endotoxins can act as neurotransmitters and literally take you down, too. By rendering you unconscious, they close your eyes. Closed eyes means melatonin happens and later, at midpoint in the night, prolactin. Both these hormones mediate immune function through other cytokines called interleukins. Interleukins have numbers like IL-1, or 2 or 3, instead of real names, probably because there are a bazillion of them. High levels of IL-2 are always found in sleep states, even those that result from illness_ Once you fall asleep, the surging melatonin encourages white-blood-cell activity specifically designed to respond to pathogens like the bacteria living in your middle.

Needless to say, whether it results from closed eyes or the sun being on the other side of the globe, dark is dark; and the darker the better for melatonin production. Sick sleep is more intense and related to the phenomenon of fever through IL-1 and IL-6. You must sleep when you're or you won't survive an onslaught by the "others' Sleep is when the melatonin and prolactin kick in to make white cells, T cells, and NK (natural killer) cells. A gut "out of whack"—meaning having too little or wrong kind of bacteria punching a broken time clock—means a serious impaired immune system.

So not sleeping on purpose, when it gets dark, means destroying an ancient ecosystem.

Remember, coevolution means we're supposed to be dancing, not stepping on toes.

These bacteria keep you alive—granted, it's for their own purposes—but it's still life. All they ask is a little sugar and a little light and maybe a few sex hormones to control your internal environment, which controls your external environment.

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW

All of your hormones—melatonin, prolactin, cortisol, insulin, and sex hormones, too—are the interface between your central nervous system thoughts and reactions and the environment. The queries cycling in the picture between you, the bacteria, and the environment boil down to: Is it light? Is it dark? Is it cold? Is it hot? Where's food? What's after me? Who's mating material?

All of the information relating to these queries is acquired through bearing, taste, touch, and smell. The same way baking cookies or evokes a reaction from your salivary glands, light hitting your and skin activates other glands and tells the bacteria in your middle time it is. The melatonin clocking the hours in 24, trips the prolactin timer to tell your brain what to have an appetite for. Insulin levels are synergistic with sex hormones like estrogen and testosterone for matting. All of these bytes of information are squeezed through the prism of your hypothalamus (timekeeper), pituitary (sex controlling), and adrenal glands (stress meter). This HPA axis serves as a built-in timer, not unlike the one that automatically turns on your coffeemaker every morning, except that the HPA axis is turning on and off biological functions. This "HPA axis" acts in concert with the environment to synthesize and disseminate the translated "rays" of information that have been gathered from environmental cues. Without this constant synthesis between the environmental cues and your physical reaction to them, there is no way to surf with the fluctuations in the environment and stay alive.

Life is based on a paradox. The stability of function needed is only possible through constant change in response to the environment.

Back
Top Bottom