Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)

Psyche said:
Guardian said:
Hey Psyche, have you (or anyone else) ever heard/read of anyone who couldn't take Vitamin C at all (in foods, supplements, etc.) without experiencing a severe reaction?

I've never heard of anyone having a reaction to pure vitamin C. Some people have allergies, but usually it is to natural compounds that are bounded to proteins in vegetables or fruits. For example, sulfur is natural and found in our bodies, but when it is bounded to certain proteins in vegetables, it may become allergenic for sensitive people. I'm allergic to sulfur containing foods like garlic. But I tolerate DMSO just fine. I'm also allergic to citrus fruits, so getting vitamin C from citrus fruits is not for me.

What about people with auto-immune disorders? I have a relative who swears that vitamin C makes his auto-immune symptoms intensify - I don't know if he's creating a faulty cause-effect relationship there, though...

anart said:
What about people with auto-immune disorders? I have a relative who swears that vitamin C makes his auto-immune symptoms intensify - I don't know if he's creating a faulty cause-effect relationship there, though...

A faulty cause-effect sounds plausible, it happens quite often that real culprits often remain in the blind-spot or in the self-denial spot. But I would ask what type of vitamin C did he/she tried and what happened exactly, her symptoms, etc. Like a medical history and/or detective work.

Psyche said:
I've never heard of anyone having a reaction to pure vitamin C. Some people have allergies, but usually it is to natural compounds that are bounded to proteins in vegetables or fruits. For example, sulfur is natural and found in our bodies, but when it is bounded to certain proteins in vegetables, it may become allergenic for sensitive people. I'm allergic to sulfur containing foods like garlic. But I tolerate DMSO just fine. I'm also allergic to citrus fruits, so getting vitamin C from citrus fruits is not for me.

So someone for whom a glass of OJ can be lethal might not necessarily be "allergic" to the vitamin C, but another protein/compound?

Would you happen to be Rh- ...I've noticed that many people who are can't eat citric fruits ?

Guardian said:
Psyche said:

So someone for whom a glass of OJ can be lethal might not necessarily be "allergic" to the vitamin C, but another protein/compound?

The problem with a glass of OJ is that it contains a lot of natural sugar, even if it is freshly squeezed. Some people might be reacting to that, too.

Guardian said:
Would you happen to be Rh- ...I've noticed that many people who are can't eat citric fruits ?

I ate citrus fruits all my life and i had no problem and i am Rh-. But nowadays i find them very acidic to my stomach. Fwiw...

Alana said:
I ate citrus fruits all my life and i had no problem and i am Rh-. But nowadays i find them very acidic to my stomach. Fwiw...

That's interesting...my roommate is also Rh- and she's been able to eat citric fruits too for most of her life. It's only recently that she's started to have gastric problems with fruits.

Guardian said:
Alana said:

That's interesting...my roommate is also Rh- and she's been able to eat citric fruits too for most of her life. It's only recently that she's started to have gastric problems with fruits.

I've read about oranges being difficult to digest and that is best to have them only at breakfast. There is a say that oranges are gold in the morning, silver at lunch time and lead at dinner time, meaning that they digest with some difficulty at night. Some people have diarrhea if they eat oranges.

I'm Rh positive, but always had allergies. My mother said that I would have allergies if she gave me oranges, so she gave me "sweet lemons" instead (one of those tropical fruits that I never saw anywhere else other than Central America ;)).

Thanks to all for this wonderfull thread.

What I have learned, I have listed for myself to remember
- that it is extremely powerful health supplement if used correctly
- for to selfcheck the dosage I can raise the level until I feel uneasy in my bowels
- to spread the dosage equally along the day
- to use pure ascorbic acid (out of the many forms) is to be on the safe side ...(is this oversimplified?)
- a fraction of a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) immediately lowers stomach acidity, if needed
- if its insoluble in water it has a wax cover (magnesium stearate), lowering its effect

What did I miss?

You have covered pretty much everything IMO. But it is always good to wait and see a second opinion because I might have missed something too :D

Also, back to my research , I have found a NEW usage of Vitamin C !! Hooray ! :D
I used a pure ascorbic acid powder to cover toes that are affected by Athletes foot syndrome aka external candida overgrowth.
I tell ya guys , it looked like a miracle :rolleyes:
I did it this way: I cleaned feet with a brush then dried it and put a little bit of moisture on a affected area then covered it with Vit C powder and put dry socks on.
After aproximately 18 h I took socks off and I was kinda amazed by a results - skin recovered very quickly
Actually I suspected that Vit C as a ingriedient needed in skin recovery will definitely help but I didn't realize that It would help that fast !.
If someone has a similar problem with feet (Athlete food syndrome) please try it and post your results - I am curious if it was only me or maybe if there was anything else besides Vit C involved (died change, alcohol withdrawal etc.)

drygol said:
You have covered pretty much everything IMO. But it is always good to wait and see a second opinion because I might have missed something too :D

Also, back to my research , I have found a NEW usage of Vitamin C !! Hooray ! :D
I used a pure ascorbic acid powder to cover toes that are affected by Athletes foot syndrome aka external candida overgrowth.
I tell ya guys , it looked like a miracle :rolleyes:
I did it this way: I cleaned feet with a brush then dried it and put a little bit of moisture on a affected area then covered it with Vit C powder and put dry socks on.
After aproximately 18 h I took socks off and I was kinda amazed by a results - skin recovered very quickly
Actually I suspected that Vit C as a ingriedient needed in skin recovery will definitely help but I didn't realize that It would help that fast !.
If someone has a similar problem with feet (Athlete food syndrome) please try it and post your results - I am curious if it was only me or maybe if there was anything else besides Vit C involved (died change, alcohol withdrawal etc.)

One thing to remember about athletes foot is that it is almost always a systemic candida overgrowth problem. It'll keep recurring until you follow a candida over-growth elimination problem. Check the forum for info on candida overgrowth if you want to know more.

Yup you are correct , I know this and it keeps coming back which means I am not trying hard enough with my diet.
Anyway , I keep on testing things if I have an opportunity so others might use these hints in future.

I've been taken much vit. C lately, for some days, and I've noticed that it really is affecting my skin in a good way. I guess one of the reasons is that collagen is important for the skin, and vit. C helps in the production of it. :cool:

I have found on another forum this source of L-ascorbic acid used for winemaking:

_http://www.laboratoire-obst.com/acide-l-ascorbique-au-detail-kg.html

The price is 24.52 € + VAT per kg

Aspect: Powder
Purity ≥ 99 %
Color white
Sulfuric ashes < 0,1 %
Humidity ≤ 0,4%
pH in water sol. 5% 2,4- 2,8
Oxalic acid < 0,2 %
Heavy metals < 3 ppm
Lead < 2 ppm
Mercury < 1 ppm
Arsenic < 3 ppm
Copper < 2 ppm
Iron < 2 ppm

Packaging: 0.5 kg – 1 kg – 25 kg

Is it OK four our supplementation?

I recently bought some Calcium Ascorbate (3lb. Now Brand). Regular ascorbic acid has a pH of 2.5, this form has a pH of 6.8-7.4. It will not cause stomach upset and I found it to dissolve quit rapidly. 1/4 level teaspoon supplies 890 mg of vitamin C and 100 mg of Calcium. Servings per container 1,215- 3 Lb. container. The price I paid was $30.00 U.S.. This is the best price I have found anywhere. I also found a coupon code with a Google search, @ $32.00 shipped.

http://www.houseofnutrition.com/733739007544.html

Additions concerning stress and adrenal fatigue:

_http://blog.adrenalfatigue.org/bid/24128/Dietary-Supplements-Adrenal-Fatigue-Vitamin-C-Part-1

...Of all the vitamins and minerals involved in adrenal metabolism, vitamin C is probably the most important. In fact, the more cortisol made, the more vitamin C used. Vitamin C is so essential to the adrenal hormone cascade and the manufacture of adrenal steroid hormones that before the measurement of adrenal steroid hormones became available, the blood level of vitamin C was used as the best indicator of adrenal function level in animal research studies. Vitamin C is used all along the adrenal cascade and acts as an antioxidant within the adrenal cortex itself. ...

_http://blog.adrenalfatigue.org/bid/24131/Vitamin-C-and-Adrenal-Fatigue-Part-2

... The highest concentrations [of Vit. C] are found in your adrenal glands, eyes and brain. Stress, cold, pollution, smoking and alcohol consumption all cause vitamin C to be used up at a more rapid rate, making less available for critical activities like immune responses and adrenal function. Bioflavonoids normally occur in nature with vitamin C and greatly enhance its activity and anti- oxidant strength. ...

Vitamin C is so essential to your adrenal glands and your ability to cope with stress that if you do not make vitamin C available to your body through supplementation and diet, adrenal hormone production cannot begin or continue. When your adrenal glands are unable to make the additional adrenal hormones required to maintain you during stressful times, you will feel worse and take longer to recover. Because there are so many other tissues in your body that also need increased vitamin C during any kind of stress, an adequate supply of it is vital to your ability to respond properly.

If you find yourself in one of the following stressful situations, it can be helpful to take extra vitamin C:

* If you feel yourself starting to come down with a cold or respiratory infection, it is a good idea to start taking vitamin C right away. This not only aids your immune system in fighting the infection, but it helps your adrenals to respond to the stressful situation in your body created by the infection.
* If you know you are going to be up late
* If you are stressed for an examination or work even
* If you are going through an emotional crisis or have to push yourself
* If you are injured, ill or going through surgery
* If you are experiencing adrenal fatigue

Cautions with Vitamin C
As you take more supplemental vitamin C your body adapts to this higher level of vitamin C. Therefore, if you later decrease your vitamin C intake, do it gradually. A sudden drop in vitamin C can lead to deficiency symptoms even when your actual vitamin C intake is well above the recommended quantity. Decrease your intake by 500 mg, or less, every three to five days until you reach your desired daily amount. If you begin experiencing unusual weakness, swollen gums or easy bruising, it could mean you are decreasing too fast and should temporarily increase your amount of vitamin C and bioflavonoids. Then step down the dosage more slowly. Just as your body adapts to an increase in vitamin C, it will also adapt to a decrease in vitamin C. However, it takes about twice as long for the body to get used to the decrease as it does to the increase.

This applies to babies whose bodies also adapt to whatever level of vitamin C their mothers are taking. If a mother has been taking high doses of vitamin C during her pregnancy or while nursing, the baby may need to be given gradually decreasing amounts of vitamin C/bioflavonoids from birth, if bottle fed, or at weaning, if breast fed.

If you are on blood thinners, monitor your blood clotting. Vitamin C works with vitamin E and other antioxidants to decrease blood clotting and coagulation.

The Myth About Vitamin C in Oranges
There is a myth about the amount of vitamin C in oranges. Not only have there been questions about the actual content of vitamin C contained in the juice compared to label claims, but the amount of vitamin C contained in the orange dissipates with time. After oranges are harvested and remain in storage for two months, only a small percentage of the original amount of vitamin C remains. This dissipation during storage occurs with all fresh foods and vitamin C is also destroyed by heat and exposure to air. In addition, the bioflavonoids in fruit are found mostly in the white part on the inside of the rind that is usually not eaten, rather than in the juicy part of the fruit that usually is consumed. Commercially, orange juice made without the rind lacks the appropriate amount of bioflavonoids. Orange juice made with the skin, including the rind (the most common method), from non-organically grown fruit often contains chemical residues and sprays which may adversely affect some people. Orange juice – and fruit juice in general – is specifically not recommended for people experiencing adrenal fatigue because it raises blood sugar too quickly followed by a subsequent abrupt drop.

Because stress can dramatically increase your need for vitamin C, especially in your adrenal glands, the most reliable way to ensure you are getting enough when you are stressed or experiencing adrenal fatigue is through supplementation. The optimum form of supplemental vitamin C to look for is a true sustained release supplement that provides a gradual, steady supply of vitamin C, with a 1:2 ratio of bioflavonoids to vitamin C to enhance its activity, and trace minerals to balance the acidity the of vitamin C so it’s easier on your stomach.

Hi All !

I have a question, if one can take about 30 grams of Vit C without getting upset stomach or discomfort, is it an indicator something is wrong with the body ? Or is it just a high tolerance ?

Thank You

Back
Top Bottom