Back Blogging

Hi DianaRose94, thanks for sharing your blog posts and your experiences.

If I'm correct, you are already familiar with social psychologist Jonathan Haidt's work. In response to someone else, he once tweeted (paraphrasing) that racism is not necessarily 'just a reaction to a different skin color or nose shape, but that it can also be a reaction to perceived differences in values'. People have different moral interests and values, which can cause reactions that can be or are perceived as racist. Haidt says here, for example:

I’m a fan of the political scientist Karen Stenner, who divides the groups on the right into three: The laissez-faire conservatives or libertarians who believe in maximum freedom, including economic freedom and small governance; the Burkean conservatives, who fear chaos, disruption, and disorder — these are many of the conservative intellectuals who have largely opposed Trump.

And then there are the authoritarians, who are people who are not necessarily racist but have a strong sense of moral order, and when they perceive that things are coming apart and that there’s a decrease in moral order, they become racist — hostile to alien groups including blacks, gay people, Mexicans, etc. This is the core audience that Trump has spoken to.

That’s not to say that most people who voted for him are authoritarians, but I think this is the core group that provides the passion that got him through the primaries.

And perhaps also applicable is what he wrote here about nationalists (who are often perceived as being racist):

Nationalists see patriotism as a virtue; they think their country and its culture are unique and worth preserving. This is a real moral commitment, not a pose to cover up racist bigotry. Some nationalists do believe that their country is better than all others, and some nationalisms are plainly illiberal and overtly racist. But as many defenders of patriotism have pointed out, you love your spouse because he or she is 'yours', not because you think your spouse is superior to all others. Nationalists feel a bond with their country, and they believe that this bond imposes moral obligations both ways: Citizens have a duty to love and serve their country, and governments are duty bound to protect their own people. Governments should place their citizens interests above the interests of people in other countries.

There is nothing necessarily racist or base about this arrangement or social contract. Having a shared sense of identity, norms, and history generally promotes trust. Having no such shared sense leads to the condition that the sociologist Émile Durkheim described as "anomie" or normlessness. Societies with high trust, or high social capital, produce many beneficial outcomes for their citizens: lower crime rates, lower transaction costs for businesses, higher levels of prosperity, and a propensity toward generosity, among others. A liberal nationalist can reasonably argue that the debate over immigration policy in Europe is not a case of what is moral versus what is base, but a case of two clashing moral visions, incommensurate (à la Isaiah Berlin). The trick, from this point of view, is figuring out how to balance reasonable concerns about the integrity of one's own community with the obligation to welcome strangers, particularly strangers in dire need."

At least the above has given me some clarity on 'racism' in general. People may think of someone as being 'racist', but if people would put themselves in the other person's shoes, they may gain at least some understanding of their worldview. It can be pretty complex!

There is also this PDF document I found that is interesting. While it's mostly about immigration, I think it may give some interesting insight: 'Racial self-interest is not racism': Link

After all in society, and I'm not only referring to the US, we are still very much like parasites trying to survive. [...] Besides, since I started working full-time, I see more and more how apt the comparison of black people to parasite trying to survive truly is.

Could you give an example? Only if you feel comfortable doing so!

Oh lol I can't wait to get to the lighter part! How did you get there? Did you spend a lot of time anxious?

Anxiety is there, but the important thing to remember about anxiety is that you should not let it control you or dominate your life. Anxiety is best seen as a challenge to be overcome, in a kind of 'feel the fear but do what you have to do anyway', way.

I don't know if you saw the video of that girl in Waffle House (or Waffle something) where the police office slammed her to the ground and you could see her breast. And I just thought that this could have been me or someone I know. It's a frightening thought.

I saw it, and it's pretty depressing. That kind of thing is happening more regularly across the board. Our global society and some of the people that comprise it are becoming a bit 'unhinged', but there's no reason to indulge worst case scenarios. Rather, you can take note of the state of the world and trust that that awareness - if applied - is, in itself protection.

Well, I see all the injustice/ racism story is just a ploy. But that doesn't mean that I don't feel a little stab in the heart at times. I don't know if you saw the video of that girl in Waffle House (or Waffle something) where the police office slammed her to the ground and you could see her breast. And I just thought that this could have been me or someone I know. It's a frightening thought. Secondly, among POC, and notably black people, there are few, if any that see the situation as I do -- oh let's be honest I haven't found a twin soul on that topic. But there are a few scholars who though can't see the manipulation keep a cool head nonetheless. Then you have the Candace Owens of the world, but these are not so far removed from the Ben Shapiro of the world. And in some way, there aren't any better than extreme liberal as they are more interested in being right than lifting people up.

I find it unlikely it could have been you.

She entered the restaurant drunk and carrying an open container of alcohol. She was angrily yelling swear words at the staff & threatening them.

Black Woman’s Violent Arrest at Alabama Waffle House Was Justified, Police Say

In the 911 call, the worker said her manager had asked her to call because two women and a man acting “drunk and disorderly” had arrived with alcohol and were refusing to throw it away. The security footage had no audio but showed Ms. Clemons, 25, and Ms. Adams, 26, pointing and yelling at employees.

At a news conference on Monday, Detective Brian Mims said the women were cursing and threatening them.

“‘You ain’t going to be here tomorrow,’” Detective Mims said the women told employees. “‘I may have a gun. I may have anything. I can come back up here and shoot this place up if I need to.’”

When the officers arrived, Detective Mims said, Ms. Clemons refused to comply with their orders and resisted placing her hands behind her back.

Then the video you saw in the "news" starts. Typical misrepresentation in mainstream media, continuing the Matrix's divide-and-conquer program.

It seems to me this woman in the story has chosen, on some level of her being, to prioritize the lower centers "over" the higher centers.

Speaking of "Dionysian madness": also from that NYTimes story

In an odd coincidence, the arrest of Ms. Clemons occurred at about 3 a.m. on Sunday, around the same time a man armed with a rifle opened fire in a Waffle House outside Nashville, killing four young people of color and injuring four others.

The waves, they are beaming. Awareness protects!

Hi DianaRose94, thanks for sharing your blog posts and your experiences.

If I'm correct, you are already familiar with social psychologist Jonathan Haidt's work. In response to someone else, he once tweeted (paraphrasing) that racism is not necessarily 'just a reaction to a different skin color or nose shape, but that it can also be a reaction to perceived differences in values'. People have different moral interests and values, which can cause reactions that can be or are perceived as racist. Haidt says here, for example:

And perhaps also applicable is what he wrote here about nationalists (who are often perceived as being racist):

At least the above has given me some clarity on 'racism' in general. People may think of someone as being 'racist', but if people would put themselves in the other person's shoes, they may gain at least some understanding of their worldview. It can be pretty complex!

There is also this PDF document I found that is interesting. While it's mostly about immigration, I think it may give some interesting insight: 'Racial self-interest is not racism': Link

Could you give an example? Only if you feel comfortable doing so!

Yes, I'm familiar with Haidt's work. And actually I think I have encountered (online) one of those nationalist that might be considered racist but truly aren't (though I don't know how I would have felt about him if I had met him in real life).

About work, there isn't a specific experience, it's a general atmosphere. Though I must admit that there are a couple of moments I have thought " a black person wouldn't get away with this", where I felt a white person would have gotten more support or saw how easily white people can perceive black people as angry or threatening. But generally, it's more about how black and white people interact with each other. How uncomfortable black people's body language can be and at the same time the kinship (I can't find a better word) white people have when interacting with each other (same goes for black people). Sometimes, this barrier may be influenced by differing interest and background. But often, I feel it is something else. The thing is that in work settings where white people are generally overwhelmingly represented in middle and senior management, them expressing kinship with someone that look like themselves versus a black person favouring black people would naturally have different consequence. Now is it a subtle form of bias or is it being wired to be more comfortable with people with the skin colour as you? I think it's a bit of both. Something like 60/40. This is without into consideration that a lot of those very higher up seems to be rather pathological. Most people don't delve as far as I do, so you can imagine that they reach less refined conclusion.

Of course, there are exception, but by and large, black people are very insecure even those that are quite high up. In my work, I do building induction for new starters. And to be honest, I often notice a difference in the type of questions I get. White people are always likely to ask rather random questions about the buildings, the bins and what not as if it were their home, whereas POC simply seem happy to have a job. Essentially, there is a sense of security and ownership that isn't there in non-white (the world is your oyster!). This is something that I have noticed even outside of work. BTW, it's not a criticism against white people, but just an observation. Ironically, the fact that generally POC and especially black people have less trust in our society is more in line with reality as it is. The downside is that often they get too bogged down on race and racism.

And well, I'm not the most social person, but it's interesting to me that my relatively small pool of black people I interact, all have at some point during conversation pointed at their skin and expressed that it was silly to undermine them just for that or have said "it's probably a colour thing". Often, there are talk that racism goes both ways. But by and large, black racism is a deep form of distrust more than anything that have very little influence or meaning in the real world, it seems to me. I can't count the number of black people (including those I know outside work) who told me that they didn't trust white people or felt that most faked to like black people. It's a sad thing and I suppose many might find such comments excessive. But at the same time, I have to admit that the experience of many black people with people outside their race is often rather negative, creating distrust and resentment. Hence why the popularity of movement like BLM and liberal nonsense popularity in the black community isn't surprising. This being said, there are some that have a positive outlook on race relation.

Reactions: SMM
I find it unlikely it could have been you.

She entered the restaurant drunk and carrying an open container of alcohol. She was angrily yelling swear words at the staff & threatening them.

Black Woman’s Violent Arrest at Alabama Waffle House Was Justified, Police Say

Then the video you saw in the "news" starts. Typical misrepresentation in mainstream media, continuing the Matrix's divide-and-conquer program.

It seems to me this woman in the story has chosen, on some level of her being, to prioritize the lower centers "over" the higher centers.

Speaking of "Dionysian madness": also from that NYTimes story

The waves, they are beaming. Awareness protects!

I had heard that part. I didn't investigate to much because there is only so much madness I can take in. It had felt like a cover up from the police and the Waffle House management to me. On the flip side that sound does sound like the perfect divide and conquer scenario. But even if she were intoxicated, I still don't believe the police officer needed to be that violent and aggressive.

Anxiety is there, but the important thing to remember about anxiety is that you should not let it control you or dominate your life. Anxiety is best seen as a challenge to be overcome, in a kind of 'feel the fear but do what you have to do anyway', way.

I saw it, and it's pretty depressing. That kind of thing is happening more regularly across the board. Our global society and some of the people that comprise it are becoming a bit 'unhinged', but there's no reason to indulge worst case scenarios. Rather, you can take note of the state of the world and trust that that awareness - if applied - is, in itself protection.

"Feel the fear but do what you gotta do". That's something I will try to remember when I'm having breakdown. Yes, people are becoming more and more unhinged. On one side you have people who react with unnecessary outrage and on the other you have those that belief that life can go on as it is. I suppose we have to wait and see. A lot of things at this point are just conjecture, is it not?

Now is it a subtle form of bias or is it being wired to be more comfortable with people with the skin colour as you? I think it's a bit of both. Something like 60/40. This is without into consideration that a lot of those very higher up seems to be rather pathological. Most people don't delve as far as I do, so you can imagine that they reach less refined conclusion.

Yes, I would also say it's a bit of both. Also, the way black people are portrayed in movies and series probably influence people's understanding and view of them.

It's a sad thing and I suppose many might find such comments excessive. But at the same time, I have to admit that the experience of many black people with people outside their race is often rather negative, creating distrust and resentment. Hence why the popularity of movement like BLM and liberal nonsense popularity in the black community isn't surprising. This being said, there are some that have a positive outlook on race relation.

If only people would factor in the possibility of reincarnation! They could've been white or black in a past life! That could perhaps change their perspective. But I'd say that yeah, perhaps life is a bit more challenging for blacks and other minorities, and I think the way forward would be to adjust and double the efforts if needed. That doesn't mean however that white people are never in a situation where they have to work double as hard to get where they want. I think any successful person (of any color) has worked hard to get where they are - with psychopaths as an exception! I think that ultimately everyone has their own challenges to overcome.

Maybe the key is to have an open mind to opportunities and possibilities rather than minorities to think 'Oh, this probably won't go well, because... [ethnicity/skin color]' or 'Oh no, this person definitely doesn't like me because [ethnicity/skin color], so I just won't talk to her much' (while the person may just have a bad week due to personal problems). So, it's important, as you also said, to notice how much the MSM, and people themselves, contribute to the division between black and white people (besides other factors).

Hopefully, the PTB won't succeed in their divide & conquer agenda, and everyone will see where the real danger lies!

Yes, I would also say it's a bit of both. Also, the way black people are portrayed in movies and series probably influence people's understanding and view of them.

If only people would factor in the possibility of reincarnation! They could've been white or black in a past life! That could perhaps change their perspective. But I'd say that yeah, perhaps life is a bit more challenging for blacks and other minorities, and I think the way forward would be to adjust and double the efforts if needed. That doesn't mean however that white people are never in a situation where they have to work double as hard to get where they want. I think any successful person (of any color) has worked hard to get where they are - with psychopaths as an exception! I think that ultimately everyone has their own challenges to overcome.

Maybe the key is to have an open mind to opportunities and possibilities rather than minorities to think 'Oh, this probably won't go well, because... [ethnicity/skin color]' or 'Oh no, this person definitely doesn't like me because [ethnicity/skin color], so I just won't talk to her much' (while the person may just have a bad week due to personal problems). So, it's important, as you also said, to notice how much the MSM, and people themselves, contribute to the division between black and white people (besides other factors).

Hopefully, the PTB won't succeed in their divide & conquer agenda, and everyone will see where the real danger lies!

Oh yes media portrayal definitely has an influence. There is a specific image that the media - TV, movies, books, music, celebrity culture, political discourse - projects of black. That we are thugs, uneducated, quick to anger, disorderly and not hard-working. Actually, one time I remember reading a thread about someone who was wondering why certain race are heavily represented in some type of protest and not in others. He admitted that he generally felt black people were lazy and I think perhaps not that knowledgeable. That was interesting to see how easily a specific image can stick in someone's mind. Actually, the whole thing can be very insidious, for example have you noticed how many black entertainers (Beyonce, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Cardi B and pretty much every rapper) who are quite influential in the wider world only reinforce a specific image of black people (uneducated, materialistic and extremely sexual)? Anyway, I think the media's influence is especially significant when you factor in the fact that black people are minority. They represent about 10% of the population in the US. In the UK, I think it must be about 2%. Plus, a lot of black people live in big cities and generally in specific neighbourhood. Therefore, you have a vast swatch of white who have never interacted with black people or have very little experience with them. Their only real knowledge of them is through the media. It's very easy to build a specific image in your head and it's very hard to destroy it. Well, yes definitely, there are white people that do work hard, very hard.

"But I'd say that yeah, perhaps life is a bit more challenging for blacks and other minorities, and I think the way forward would be to adjust and double the efforts if needed."

I honestly do not know any black people or other minorities who isn't aware of this and who hasn't been told by their parents since they were kids that if they wanted to succeed they had to work twice as hard as white people. That's funny that you mention this because I've noticed that it's one of those you shouldn't say in polite society or else you get scoffed or you get comments with all sort of rationalisation. Now, there are lazy/ not efficient black people who still manage to land good jobs -- but they are dime in a dozen. There are always exception, but by and large, where a white person could get away with being good, a minority (or black person) would have to be excellent to get the same recognition. Essentially, it's not that white people don't work hard, but if a minority wants to get the same cake, they got to work harder, be more impeccable. I can see how what I'm saying can be perceived as me playing victim though. So, I don't know if you'll agree with me on that one.

Maybe the key is to have an open mind to opportunities and possibilities rather than minorities to think 'Oh, this probably won't go well, because... [ethnicity/skin color]' or 'Oh no, this person definitely doesn't like me because [ethnicity/skin color], so I just won't talk to her much' (while the person may just have a bad week due to personal problems).

I don't know...I just don't think things are that simple. This feels a bit like me saying "Oh if only white people could stop judging people by their appearance or speech and give them a chance". If you're white and you had a bad experience with a black person or several you would be likely end up preferring avoiding black people all together because you want to avoid pain. The same applies if the race are reversed. Furthermore, your negative experience would make you more sensitive to bad things committed by this group. Then, if you have other members of your race who tell you "Oh I can related. I've add the exact same experience." In the end, are you likely to be open-minded and judge people by their individuality? Nope.

There are other elements to take into consideration. Look at how many cases of police brutality, racial profiling and random act of racism there has been promoted on the news lately? Again it isn't conducive to trust. The thing with these cases is that it makes you remember that you're a minority in a largely white society. As always due to personality type, some may keep an open mind, but most will be resentful and distrustful. Furthermore due to social media, you have access to the views of tons and tons of people, view that may disappoint you or make you wonder the kind of people you're surrounded by. Things are just very complex.

Also, if I'm being honest, twenty years ago, racism was way worse. Like it was ok not to pay a non-white worker the same as a white worker (happened to my dad). I think there was a time, minorities simply weren't truly expecting or hoped to be treated on equal term with white people. Things have changed. Many feel that things should be better. We're supposed to be in an egalitarian society, you see.

"Hopefully, the PTB won't succeed in their divide & conquer agenda, and everyone will see where the real danger lies!"

It is my hope as well, but I'm not particularly confident. The US is one hell of an extreme country. You know all this talk about PTB and divide & conquer, it's fine and all, but how much can it mean to those in black ghettos in the US who have first hand experience of racial profiling or/and police brutality? But, in the US you have people in coffee shop (Starbuck), universities (student thought to not be a student), retail stores (teenagers accused of stealing) and what not calling the police on black people without even attempting to engage with them. What I'm trying to say is that it's difficult for people not to be wrapped up in specific ways of thinking. It's also very hard because you get a lot of "oh if black people only followed the rules...", type of comments from white people which are just hurtful. And that's also why you have people like Ta-nesi Coastes who are very popular. On this note, on Twitter I have found a lot of black activists, but there's probably only one whose mindset on race and racism is closest to mine. Some of those black intellectuals who preach for less identity politics generally do so because of fear of tribalism (there are few of those intellectual anyway). However, they are unable to see how deep the manipulation goes. The activists and the rest of the intellectual are very quick to talk about institutional/systematic racism when it comes to the police or society (even those that are anti Killary and democratic party). And I see where they're come from. I can also see how keeping on talking about society in such terms will lead us.

" I don't know...I just don't think things are that simple. This feels a bit like me saying "Oh if only white people could stop judging people by their appearance or speech and give them a chance". If you're white and you had a bad experience with a black person or several you would be likely end up preferring avoiding black people all together because you want to avoid pain. The same applies if the race are reversed. Furthermore, your negative experience would make you more sensitive to bad things committed by this group. Then, if you have other members of your race who tell you "Oh I can related. I've add the exact same experience." In the end, are you likely to be open-minded and judge people by their individuality? Nope.

There are other elements to take into consideration. Look at how many cases of police brutality, racial profiling and random act of racism there has been promoted on the news lately? Again it isn't conducive to trust. The thing with these cases is that it makes you remember that you're a minority in a largely white society. As always due to personality type, some may keep an open mind, but most will be resentful and distrustful. Furthermore due to social media, you have access to the views of tons and tons of people, view that may disappoint you or make you wonder the kind of people you're surrounded by. Things are just very complex.

Also, if I'm being honest, twenty years ago, racism was way worse. Like it was ok not to pay a non-white worker the same as a white worker (happened to my dad). I think there was a time, minorities simply weren't truly expecting or hoped to be treated on equal term with white people. Things have changed. Many feel that things should be better. We're supposed to be in an egalitarian society, you see."

I focused on the negative there. But there's another factor at play: kinship. Due to similar lived experience ( i.e parents really wanting grandchildren when you reach a certain age (a silly example I know), attending specific celebration...etc) people who are the same race or origin can relate to each other. The other day I was talking to a Nigerian guy. I'm not Nigerian, but there were things that make us relate to each other because I'm African. There was an easy camaraderie. It made me wonder about those that marry someone from a different race. I was just thinking that there is a lot to bridge. On the same vein, they are things that you can only talk about with people who are the same race/ origin as you because the others wouldn't understand or it could make your relation awkward. For example, there are things I would never talk about with a white person. Just like there are certain topic a Chinese person would only mention with another Chinese person and so on. I suppose this applies to white people as well. Obviously, you could argue that every human relation/ interaction regardless of race involve a bit of self-withdrawal to work. Anyway In short, there are many, many things that make people less likely to engage to someone different than them. It doesn't even has to be lack of trust or resentment.

Oh yes media portrayal definitely has an influence. There is a specific image that the media - TV, movies, books, music, celebrity culture, political discourse - projects of black. That we are thugs, uneducated, quick to anger, disorderly and not hard-working.

But there is also: That they're good dancers, that they're good at playing basketball, that they're funny, thoughtful, determined, and down to earth.

Actually, the whole thing can be very insidious, for example have you noticed how many black entertainers (Beyonce, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Cardi B and pretty much every rapper) who are quite influential in the wider world only reinforce a specific image of black people (uneducated, materialistic and extremely sexual)?

Yes, sadly.

I honestly do not know any black people or other minorities who isn't aware of this and who hasn't been told by their parents since they were kids that if they wanted to succeed they had to work twice as hard as white people. That's funny that you mention this because I've noticed that it's one of those you shouldn't say in polite society or else you get scoffed or you get comments with all sort of rationalisation.

I was mostly referring to those black people who live in poor conditions. But the same can be said to a white person (to work twice as hard) who's nearly broke, compared to a black person who has a wealthy family and a big network.

There's also this: If you have a company, and you have a vacancy open, considering that there are more white people than black, the majority of applications you will receive will be from white people. So naturally chances are higher for a white person to be chosen for the job. Not because they didn't want the black person, but because that person may have had just that more work experience or better qualities than all the others.

Now, there are lazy/ not efficient black people who still manage to land good jobs -- but they are dime in a dozen.

Same for white people!

If you're white and you had a bad experience with a black person or several you would be likely end up preferring avoiding black people all together because you want to avoid pain.

Well, I think it would have to be a very traumatic experience. I think most people know that one person doesn't equal the rest. Unless they have the same experience with the 'same' people.

I focused on the negative there. But there's another factor at play: kinship. Due to similar lived experience ( i.e parents really wanting grandchildren when you reach a certain age (a silly example I know), attending specific celebration...etc) people who are the same race or origin can relate to each other. The other day I was talking to a Nigerian guy. I'm not Nigerian, but there were things that make us relate to each other because I'm African. There was an easy camaraderie. It made me wonder about those that marry someone from a different race. I was just thinking that there is a lot to bridge. On the same vein, they are things that you can only talk about with people who are the same race/ origin as you because the others wouldn't understand or it could make your relation awkward. For example, there are things I would never talk about with a white person. Just like there are certain topic a Chinese person would only mention with another Chinese person and so on. I suppose this applies to white people as well. Obviously, you could argue that every human relation/ interaction regardless of race involve a bit of self-withdrawal to work. Anyway In short, there are many, many things that make people less likely to engage to someone different than them. It doesn't even has to be lack of trust or resentment.

Yes, exactly! That's what I think as well. :) My cousin married a black person, actually, and he's great. Their relationship is very strong due to them both having the same values, and more.

Thanks for the little discussion, DianaRose94, it gives me some food for thought.

Reactions: SMM
But there is also: That they're good dancers, that they're good at playing basketball, that they're funny, thoughtful, determined, and down to earth.

Yes, sadly.

I was mostly referring to those black people who live in poor conditions. But the same can be said to a white person (to work twice as hard) who's nearly broke, compared to a black person who has a wealthy family and a big network.

There's also this: If you have a company, and you have a vacancy open, considering that there are more white people than black, the majority of applications you will receive will be from white people. So naturally chances are higher for a white person to be chosen for the job. Not because they didn't want the black person, but because that person may have had just that more work experience or better qualities than all the others.

Same for white people!

Yes, exactly! That's what I think as well. :) My cousin married a black person, actually, and he's great. Their relationship is very strong due to them both having the same values, and more.

Thanks for the little discussion, DianaRose94, it gives me some food for thought.

"But there is also: That they're good dancers, that they're good at playing basketball, that they're funny, thoughtful, determined, and down to earth."

I can see where you're coming from with this. But I don't think that for a people where centuries was seen as slow in the head but physically strong and as only good for entertainment (of every kind) being seen as good dancers or fantastic basketball player is a good thing. As for the rest, with the rise of identity politics and tribalism, I see more and more people perceiving black people as part of the SJW crowd which many consider as just privileged snowflakes. Essentially, at present I think there are increasingly more people especially in the US who feel blacks are lazy and prone to play the victim.

"
I was mostly referring to those black people who live in poor conditions. But the same can be said to a white person (to work twice as hard) who's nearly broke, compared to a black person who has a wealthy family and a big network."

Indeed. The flipside of this is that there are wayyyy less wealthy and connected black people than they are white people. You don't even have to involve racism and all that. White people represent a much larger share of the population. However, I don't know how you explain places like South Africa or Namibia where black people may have political power, but white are truly the elite of the country.

"There's also this: If you have a company, and you have a vacancy open, considering that there are more white people than black, the majority of applications you will receive will be from white people. So naturally chances are higher for a white person to be chosen for the job. Not because they didn't want the black person, but because that person may have had just that more work experience or better qualities than all the others."

Yes this is a fair point. i think that's the down side of many form of activism. They forget how little black people there actually are. Like in the UK, there's only 2%! And I think there must be like 8% of Indians.

"Well, I think it would have to be a very traumatic experience. I think most people know that one person doesn't equal the rest. Unless they have the same experience with the 'same' people."

Hmmm, maybe I'm not being fair. But for me it's a yes and a no. I just don't think that many people think that deeply, lol. Most people, regardless of race, don't really dig too far imo. Plus, you don't necessarily have to have had a bad experience. Conditioning by the media or society can heavily impact who you engage with and how you do so. And sometimes, this can take extreme form. For example, my experience with a lot of South Asian is that they just don't feel black people are worth respect. And if you speak to a lot of black people with their experience with South Asians, they will tell you that they feel they're way worse than white people. Some may have been influenced by direct experience but for many, it's just cultural. In fact if you search articles about anti-blackness in Asia, you will see that those that are interested in the subject have written a lot about it. It's the same with North Africans and Middle Eastern. What I'm saying is that history creates racial power trip. As always they are also good people everywhere.

I don't know to me this whole race and racism thing is just very, very complicated and complex. There are a variety of elements why people don't/can't get along and I don't see it getting any better. But it was nice discussing with you nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom