Compilation of the Cassiopaea Contact's quoted statements.

I decided to return to this topic but this time with a different approach.

What and why
While doing analysis manually may lead to more accurate results from my point of view that way of work would be struggling and i don't think i would finish it before giving up.
Even through i do programming for a living my programming skills are average-at-best. Still I decided that it is only way to go.

How
@KS - member of this forum, person that is a way better programmer than me did great job of making transcripts into single .html, so i got transcripts from https://liberty239.github.io. (Session transcripts)
Then i checked characters that are most probable to appear in those transcripts, so those sound like a good candidates:
",',`,´,‘,’,“,”,",,´,’,‛, "x27", "x22"
I already had script to loop through all paragraph answers (i made it few months ago, but its not comfortable to use for non tech-savvy guys, and its usage would lead to people not reading transcripts without context, so i do not think i should release it).
So i modified what i already had and instead of looking for certain keywords it checks for at least one quoted character in each of answers and writes answer on my browser console (with few tweaks such as excluding some english contractions for example).

Results
Script wasn't able to find quotes in following sessions:

I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 16 July 1994
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 22 July 1994
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 27 July 1994
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 30 July 1994
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 5 October 1994
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 7 October 1994
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 19 October 1994
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 20 October 1994
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 25 October 1994
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 4 November 1994
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 9 February 1995
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 12 August 1995
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 8 February 1996
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 21 May 1997
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 14 May 1998
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 3 February 2001
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 17 March 2001
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 28 July 2001
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 7 August 2001
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 10 August 2001
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 20 August 2001
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 14 September 2001
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 24 September 2001
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 9 October 2001
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 13 October 2001
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 25 April 2002
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 24 October 2009
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 8 August 2015
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 10 October 2015
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 16 September 2017
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 22 February 2020
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 9 May 2020
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 23 May 2020
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 10 October 2020
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 29 May 2021
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 17 July 2021
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 18 September 2021
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 30 October 2021
I couldn't find quotes in session: Session 18 December 2021
Paragraphs with found quotes are printed into console with session date before it.
1647779585800.png
Since there are 2000+ paragraphs i decided to put those into .txt file.

Attachments

• all paragraps with answers.txt
    343.1 KB · Views: 12
@ToxicCoward ,

It may be because quotes are not found in every session that the Cs encouraged Laura to review them.

Script wasn't able to find quotes in following sessions:

It is interesting to see the list of the sessions that did not have quotes. Thanks for listing them.

The Cs suggested adding the quotes marks to the board in the following session:

Session 2 November 1994:
Q: (L) Does this mean that without this comet cluster they cannot pass through space/time?

A: No. Slower. message follows here. Quiet for one moment please: From now on when word to follow is in quotes we will designate as follows: mark then word then mark. Now, "slower."

{We installed quote marks on the board after this. From this point on, when words in the Cassiopaean responses are in quotes, it is because they have so designated.}

I do have tables containing the session quotes by year which you can review or use as you see fit. I may at some point insert the questions with each quote to give at least the minimum context. Inserting the question was not an easily automated process for me but perhaps for someone it could be more automated. @KS did a great job creating the text file of the sessions.

For those interested here is a link to the Google spreadsheet with the quotes from Sept 30 1994 to March 13 2021:

Cs Answers containing Quotation Marks from Sept 30 1994 to March 13 2021

The spreadsheet can be downloaded and opened in Microsoft Excel, Open Office or Libre Office.

To open the links to the sessions do a control/command click on the date.

I guess You want it to look like this?
View attachment 56812

Yes, that was what I had in mind. I used to have access to a unisys software Interactive Processing Facility (IPF 1100)
when I worked for the PA Dept. of Public Welfare and you could easily do a find go -5 lines (or whatever) and print x-lines which I used for printing lines of COBOL code in the programs I worked on.

I do not know the newer languages like Python, Ruby etc. but I suppose there may be tools that are similar or you could write your own.

I do not know the newer languages like Python, Ruby etc. but I suppose there may be tools that are similar or you could write your own.
I used JavaScript, but tool i used to get question is not feature of language itself, its feature of internet browser.

When JavaScript is run in browser it has access to (Web APIs | MDN) tools of that browser.
Each browser may or may not support certain feature, there is compatibility tab in documentation which allows me to see if i will be able to use it or not.
To access previous paragraph i had to use (Element.previousElementSibling - Web APIs | MDN).

So printing it to console is as simple as
JavaScript:
console.log(paragraphOfAnswerWithQuote.previousElementSibling.textContent)

I used JavaScript, but tool i used to get question is not feature of language itself, its feature of internet browser.

When JavaScript is run in browser it has access to (Web APIs | MDN) tools of that browser.
Each browser may or may not support certain feature, there is compatibility tab in documentation which allows me to see if i will be able to use it or not.
To access previous paragraph i had to use (Element.previousElementSibling - Web APIs | MDN).

So printing it to console is as simple as
JavaScript:
console.log(paragraphOfAnswerWithQuote.previousElementSibling.textContent)

I did not see any similar print functions to print the surrounding text lines. I am not a web developer but it seems that would be more complicated than just working with the text or html version that @KS extracted. CSS and javascript seems a bit cumbersome but if you know a way to print some lines above and below the answer "A:" that would be great.

Here is file with all paragraphs that are of type "answer" and contain quote symbols along with paragraph preceding it and paragraph following it.

Attachments

• answersWithQuotesPlusPreviousAndNextParagraph.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Here is file with all paragraphs that are of type "answer" and contain quote symbols along with paragraph preceding it and paragraph following it.
@ToxicCoward ,

By Jove I think you've got it. I have not checked every line but so far it looks good to me. That is much better than just having all the answers without the question. It is just a text file but can be read and put into whatever format someone would like to make it better or more readable. It looks like you caught the "upside down" and single quotes too.

It looks fine to me so far. If I find anything missing or whatever I will let you know but it looks good so far. It gives plenty of context which is better than just having the answers I think. Great work.:thup:

Thanks. Are you having fun? :-)

For example there are same results as in text file but this time in .xlsx excel spreadsheet file. Visually it doesn't look good, but I do not have Microsoft Excel to make it look fancy.

Attachments

• transcriptsWithQuotes(12).xlsx
    438.9 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom