It's not that simple. That concerns reported deaths, and whatever specific criteria the RKI used to match a given death with the specific virus causing the current flu 'epidemic' in Germany...

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but here are the official CDC figures on Americans killed by seasonal flu in the last two years:

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That’s fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC’s 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.

And meanwhile, in France...
Wow, so the French are using the corona virus scare to push through the reform. Luckily the French pensions didn't suffer during the recent rout on the stock market, which they otherwise would have been, as the pension reforms are all about privatising the pensions and invest in the stockmarket bubble.

In Switzerland, all events with over 1000 people have been cancelled. That includes the Geneva au;to salon, the Basel Camaval , Baselworld (a massive watch and jewellery conference) and other big events.
I work from Zurich main railway station, a train station where every day 1 million passes through! On top of it I go to Paris by air-conditioned trains every week with tourists from South Korea, China, Japan and all over (many directly from Zurich airport), and as a train manager I get to say hello to just about everybody onboard and physically handle their tickets. Colleagues go to Italy, Germany and Austria. So if someone is exposed to the risk of the killer virus (drum beat), I count myself in that category. As a matter of fact, I might already have had it, two weeks ago, but not knowing better I treated it as a normal flu, took extra vit C, elderberry juice and other supplements and after 5 days was back to normal.

The worst part of the job at the moment are passengers getting hysterical if some Asian looking person with a mask happens to cough, and demanding to be given another seat. There are not unlimited coaches on a train and no separate compartments like in the old trains. Each job has its moments and stresses and mine is no different.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but here are the official CDC figures on Americans killed by seasonal flu in the last two years:

So, we have to wait to see if this "corona virus" continues into summer and if it reaches anything like the 60,000+ dead in the USA alone from a "normal flu" season. Only THEN can we say that it is on par with a NORMAL INFLUENZA virus!

There's a great article on Sott.net that points out that the current scientific thinking about what a virus actually is and does is falling apart. The author, Sayer Ji, points out that viruses and the virion particles that viruses use as transmitters of nucleic acid (RNA) are remarkably similar the exosomes that are used by cells in all living organisms to do the same thing. Citing the research, he suggests a more accurate description of viruses:

When we start to look at viruses through the lens of their overlap with exosomes, which as carriers of RNAs are essential for regulating the expression of the vast majority of the human genome, we start to understand how their function could be considered neutral as "information carriers," if not beneficial. [...]

In light of this post-Germ Theory perspective, viruses could be described as pieces of information in search of chromosomes; not inherently "bad," but, in fact, essential for mediating the genotype/phenotype relationship within organisms, who must adapt to ever-shifting environmental conditions in real-time in order to survive

I think we need to bear in mind that the numbers given for flu deaths (and smoking deaths too) are all estimates. Nobody's death certificate says death from flu. People die from conditions brought on by the flu, and any and all of these conditions have multiple risk factors. So we end up with numbers based on a formula somebody thinks might be close to the truth. And of course these calculations can be skewed by the politics and the intent of the organisation issuing them. Which all boils down to the fact that we really have absolutely no idea of actual deaths attributed to a particular flu or virus.

I think we need to bear in mind that the numbers given for flu deaths (and smoking deaths too) are all estimates. Nobody's death certificate says death from flu.

Some do apparently.

People die from conditions brought on by the flu, and any and all of these conditions have multiple risk factors. So we end up with numbers based on a formula somebody thinks might be close to the truth. And of course these calculations can be skewed by the politics and the intent of the organisation issuing them. Which all boils down to the fact that we really have absolutely no idea of actual deaths attributed to a particular flu or virus.
Yes, although we can assume some consistency of methodology in the US CDC's calculations for influenza from year to year.

The CDC explains its current model here, which it has apparently used since 2010:

Some do apparently.

Yes, although we can assume some consistency of methodology in the US CDC's calculations for influenza from year to year.

The CDC explains its current model here, which it has apparently used since 2010:

Sounds a bit like anyone that dies of some kind of comorbidity during flu season, even without testing, is counted as killed by flu. Because, what else could it be? Or am I being too critical here?
And not every flu-like illness is flu, but they are getting their estimates from self-reporting.

Egad.

Testing for specific pathogens is a complicated process. To be really sure, you need to pretty much isolate and then observe a viral particle under a powerful microscope, or grow a quantity of it, crystalize it and then use a spectrometer. There are a few other ways, but they are equally time and technology intensive. I found this page which goes through the list of methods and how they work:

The fastest way is also less certain, as it bases its method on observing secondary characteristics of an infection and then using deduction. The most promising and it would appear, the most commonly used, looks like this one:

Haemagglutination Assay (HA)
A quantitative of viruses by haemagglutination is known as haemagglutination assay (HA). Haemagglutination is a particular form a agglutination which involves the participation of red blood cells (RBC).

A type of lattice will be formed by red blood cells when viral families with surface or enveloped proteins stick to humans’ or animals’ red blood cells and bind to its N-acetylneuraminic acid.

This method is relatively fast and easy and large amounts of samples use such methods. This method is carried out in the presence of antibody. The type of virus will require different conditions. For example, at certain pH values, some viruses bind RBCs while others bind RBCs at certain ionic strengths.

Limitations
Optimal and reliable results require controlling several variables, such as incubation times, red blood cell concentration, and type of red blood cell.[12] Non-specific factors in the sample can lead to interference and incorrect titer values. For example, molecules in the sample other than virus-specific antibodies can inhibit agglutination between virus and RBC's, as well as potentially blocking antibody from binding to virus. Receptor-destroying enzymes (RDE) are commonly used to treat samples prior to analysis to prevent non-specific inhibition.[13] Analysis of the HA or HI results relies on a qualified individual to read the plate and determine the titer values. The manual interpretation method introduces more opportunities for discrepancies in the assay because results can be subjective and the agreement between human readers is inconsistent.[14] Also, there is no digital record of the plate or titer determinations so the initial interpretation is tedious and commonly done in replicates. The range of potential variables and differences between expert readers can make comparing inter-laboratory results difficult.[15]

If the medical authorities test for Corona the same way they test for AIDS in Africa, then it's basically just a ridiculously general checklist of questions with values applied to each answer; if you add up enough points, Bang! You're officially diagnosed with AIDS and are potential customer for pharma products. -The effect being that in a region stricken with hundreds of different diseases, chances are you'll be falsely diagnosed just by coughing.

I can easily see that same level of rigor being applied globally to this new bug.

The end result being that the authorities will be able to keep the Corona Virus in the headlines for as long as they deem useful, regardless of the state of the actual virus.

Tim Pool, (who has jumped whole-heartedly on board the hysteria train), reported on a story where a Japanese woman had recovered from the Corona Virus, but then re-acquired it a second time. That sounds like shoddy identification to me.

I don't see how the CDC is going to be able to reliably back up the claim that they will be able to do 10,000 tests per day.

Sorry. That sounds like a scattershot method when the only true way to make a positive identification requires days of work to isolate a sample and actually look at the thing under an electron microscope, or through using a similarly complicated and time-intensive technology.

So, we have to wait to see if this "corona virus" continues into summer and if it reaches anything like the 60,000+ dead in the USA alone from a "normal flu" season. Only THEN can we say that it is on par with a NORMAL INFLUENZA virus!

That's pretty much how I think things will play out at this point. We'll see though. Once it runs its course, hopefully we'll be able to get some more reliable stats - but if not, then at least the absolute total number of deaths will tell us something. But I still think it's important to also consider some other issues at play besides total mortality, like transmissibility and the mortality rate, especially while things are still developing.

When it comes to the regular flu, we don't quarantine or lock down cities. We basically let it run rampant every year, millions of people get it, and a very small percentage die. If we can trust the CDC's statistics enough to get a rough picture, then in the the worst flu year in the last decade (2017-2018), 45 million people got it in the U.S. That's 13-14% of the population. (Average number who get it every year is 3-11%.) 1.8% of those people had to be hospitalized. And 7.5% of those hospitalized died. Overall, 0.14% of those who got the flu died. And that's just the symptomatic cases. Some estimate that the number of people who carry and spread the flu virus without showing any symptoms whatsoever is up to 3x higher than the number of people who end up showing any symptoms, but it could be closer to a 50-50 split. Flu has an R0 of anywhere from 1.5-3 (that's around what the Spanish flu was, too), meaning on average that's how many people each person with the flu infects. (But that doesn't take into account the presence or absence of 'super spreaders', which can compound the problem.)

A bit on R0:

In the 1950s, epidemiologist George MacDonald suggested using it to describe the transmission potential of malaria. He proposed that, if R0 is less than 1, the disease will die out in a population, because on average an infectious person will transmit to fewer than one other susceptible person. On the other hand, if R0 is greater than 1, the disease will spread.

When public health agencies are figuring out how to deal with an outbreak, they are trying to bring R0 down to less than 1. This is tough for diseases like measles that have a high R0. It is especially challenging for measles in densely populated regions like India and China, where R0 is higher, compared to places where people are more spread out.

For the SARS pandemic in 2003, scientists estimated the original R0 to be around 2.75. A month or two later, the effective R0 dropped below 1, thanks to the tremendous effort that went into intervention strategies, including isolation and quarantine activities.

With any luck, the stats for coronavirus will turn out to be wrong, and not as serious as they look right now. Like Joe mentioned previously, it could be that there are a lot of asymptomatic cases, or mild cases that haven't been properly recorded. But with the stats that are available, the R0 is either similar, or perhaps greater than flu. From the article Laura posted:

Currently, the R0 for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the disease COVID-19, is estimated at about 2.2, meaning a single infected person will infect about 2.2 others, on average. By comparison, the flu has an R0 of 1.3.

So it's at least potentially equally or more transmissible than flu. Simply left to its own devices, it could conceivably infect a lot of people, and if the mortality rate really is 15x higher than the flu, then it can also kill a lot of people. I think that at least partially explains China's and other governments' response, with quarantines and lockdowns. If that's what the current numbers suggest - however flawed they may be in reality - it's understandable. Officials just haven't yet been able to know with any certainty, so they opt on the side of caution. Could it be more transmissible than the flu if left unchecked? How much more? And the extra resources spent on hospitalizations and treatments means less resources for uninfected people with OTHER conditions, meaning that lots of those people will die too, even if they never got the virus. At least, that's some of the thinking I think is probably behind some of the official responses we're seeing.

Another bit from the article Laura quoted:
They also admit: "About 81% of people who are infected with the coronavirus have mild cases."

They also say: "About 13.8% report severe illness, meaning they have shortness of breath, or require supplemental oxygen, and about 4.7% are critical, meaning they face respiratory failure, multi-organ failure or septic shock."

That probably means that the number of cases that get counted are this 13.8%. If so, the death rate is WAAAY lower for the infection overall.

That 13.8% figure is from the 'known cases' stats, so it doesn't change the current death rate estimate.

In a more recent study, considered the largest on COVID-19 cases to date, researchers from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Protection, analyzed 44,672 confirmed cases in China between Dec. 31, 09 and Feb. 11, 2020. Of those cases, 80.9% (or 36,160 cases) were considered mild, 13.8% (6,168 cases) severe and 4.7% (2,087) critical. "Critical cases were those that exhibited respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction/failure," the researchers wrote in the paper published in China CDC Weekly.

It's hard to estimate an accurate death rate during an epidemic for numerous reasons. We're still in a position of not knowing whether the death rate is lower (i.e., there are lots of unreported cases, which means the deaths are a smaller fraction of the whole), or higher, as some of the other methods of calculating at that link might suggest. But one thing we can look at is the hospitalizations. Even if we can't know how many people actually have the virus, we can get a more reasonable idea of how many have to go to the hospital, and how many of those die.

To compare to the flu again: 810,000 people hospitalized, 61,000 died. That's a 7.5% death rate for cases severe enough to require hospitalization. In the study above, a total of 8255 cases were considered serious or severe, and 1023 died. That's a 12.4% death rate for serious cases requiring hospitalization. So, not THAT different from the flu, but still 1.65x higher. (However, if the total number of cases is close to accurate, then the percentage of people who need to be hospitalized could be much higher than flu too: 18.5% compared to 1.8%.)

Again, that's not to say those figures will end up being accurate - just that as they are, I can understand looking at them and taking precautions to do something about it on the chance that they're accurate, or on the chance that the situation is worse than they suggest. For example, from the site quoted above on death rates:

A significant discrepancy in case mortality rate can also be observed when comparing mortality rates as calculated and reported by China NHC: a CFR of 3.1% in the Hubei province (where Wuhan, with the vast majority of deaths is situated), and a CFR of 0.16% in other provinces (19 times less).

Finally, we shall remember that while the 2003 SARS epidemic was still ongoing, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported a fatality rate of 4% (or as low as 3%), whereas the final case fatality rate ended up being 9.6%.

So it might end up being not that much worse than the flu, or several times worse. And if fewer people end up dying than have died this year from the flu, at least part of that could be a result of the containment efforts in China and elsewhere. It will be interesting to see what ends up being the case!

Last edited:
I have noticed that the local traffic is about half of what it normally is. The grocery stores are also not very busy, like normal. Either people are afraid or at home sick, like with the virus that has been attacking my immune system for the past 10-12 days now. So far my immune system seems to be holding it off. I picked up some Elderberry extract today. Now it looks like Pomegranate is next, along with Iodine and Serropeptase. Which may ease my BP somewhat as well.

How to stage a fake epidemic (and brainwash billions of people)

You promote a character like this to spread fear:

"Fatal mistake" for countries to assume they won't get coronavirus -WHO chief
Containment of the virus is still possible despite increase in global infections
It would be a "fatal mistake" for any country to assume it will not be hit by the new coronavirus, and rich countries that might have thought they were safer should expect surprises, the head of the World Health Organization said on Thursday.

Coronavirus risk at very high global level, says WHO's Tedros
The risk of spread and impact of the coronavirus is now very high at a "global level",
World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters in Geneva on Friday.

WHO: global community not ready to take same measures as China to contain coronavirus
The World Health Organization (WHO) said in a report issued on Friday that much of the global community is not yet ready to implement the types of measures that have contained the fast-moving coronavirus outbreak in China.

Coronavirus now poses 'very high' risk at global level: WHO
The risk of a global spread and impact of the coronavirus is now "very high", the highest level of alarm,
but containment is still possible, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.

A question has surfaced about patients recovering from the Coronavirus and then testing positive. China's National Health Commission (NHC) has stated that they have found the patients to not be infectious.

Explainer: Coronavirus reappears in discharged patients, raising questions in containment fight
A growing number of discharged coronavirus patients in China and elsewhere are testing positive after recovering, sometimes weeks after being allowed to leave the hospital, which could make the epidemic harder to eradicate.

Recovered coronavirus patients found not to be infectious - official
Recovered coronavirus patients who were discharged from hospitalization but later tested positive again have been found not to be infectious,
an official at China's National Health Commission (NHC) said on Friday.

This next article speaks about "the Defense Production Act" which first raised a "Red Flag" with me because I envision it - as a War Power's Act" that was first introduced back in the 1950's during the Korean War. Wikipedia states that it has been "amended" several times over the years and now includes Home Land Security.

At this point, the Administration is still looking at all it's options but with VP Pence directly involved, Trump might be "persuaded" to enact another amendment, giving the Military Industrial Complex the $8 billion Democrats said was necessary. The White House initially requested a $2.5 billion package that diverted some money from other federal accounts.

Exclusive: U.S. mulls using sweeping powers to ramp up production of coronavirus protective gear
President Donald Trump's administration is considering invoking special powers through a law called the Defense Production Act to rapidly expand domestic manufacturing of protective masks and clothing to combat the coronavirus in the United States, two U.S. officials told Reuters.

The Trump administration considers using 1950s-era law to ramp up production of masks and protective gear as coronavirus spreads
The Trump administration considers using 1950s-era law to ramp up production of masks and protective gear as coronavirus spreads | Markets Insider

Feb. 28, 2020 - The US could invoke a 1950s-era law that would allow the government to ramp up the production of gear to combat the spread of the coronavirus, a senior administration official and a congressional aide familiar with the matter said Friday.

The Trump administration is exploring the potential use of the Defense Production Act to increase the domestic availability of protective masks and clothing, according to the officials, but no final decision has been made.

A lot of things are under discussion," the administration official told Business Insider, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

The proposal to invoke the law, which was first reported by Reuters, gives the president the broad authority over industrial output in the name of national security.

It comes days after the Centers for Disease Control warned the respiratory illness COVID-19 would almost certainly hit communities in the US. The novel coronavirus has spread outside of its epicenter in China to more than four dozen countries, raising concerns among governments and health officials about the potential for a pandemic.

The White House referred questions on the proposal to the office of Vice President Mike Pence, who was tapped on Wednesday to lead the government response to the coronavirus outbreak. A spokesperson at the Department of Health and Human Services said it would "not comment on internal deliberations." The Department of Homeland Security declined to comment.

The Defense Production Act, which was passed in response to the Korean War, authorizes the president to take actions to "force private industry to give priority to defense and homeland security contracts and to allocate the resources needed," according to the Congressional Research Service.

It could be implemented through company contract requirements and various financial measures including loans and purchase commitments. The rapid spread of COVID-19 has prompted nations to roll out restrictions on travel and commerce, raising concerns about disruptions to supply chains and broader business operations.

Honeywell International, one of the largest producers of face masks, said it has experienced a surge in demand for protective gear in recent weeks and that it was open to coordination with the US government.

"We are increasing production at multiple facilities globally to address the growing demand," a spokesperson said in a statement to Business Insider. "We are ready and willing to partner with the US government to support national response efforts."

Congressional appropriators plan to soon unveil an emergency funding to address the coronavirus outbreak. The White House initially requested a $2.5 billion package that diverted some money from other federal accounts, but Trump has since signaled he was open to the $8 billion Democrats said was necessary.

HHS Secretary Alex Azar told Congress on Tuesday the nation may need 300 million N95 masks, used by health workers with direct exposure to airborne infections. The government currently has about 30 million of the respirators in an emergency stockpile, he said.

And the "a little more to the left, a little more to the right" is spot on. Both sides in the culture wars seem to agree that we should panic, it seems. Paul Joseph Watson, for example, is ranting on Twitter how "open borders" caused the epidemic! Give me a friggin break. This is just playing with right-wing triggers. As much as I agree with critizising lefty ideas about mass-migration, clearly this has nothing to do with it. Unless you want to close all borders even to business traffic :umm:

I think there is another site to it, not to follow Paul Joseph Watsons argument at all, but Erdogan opened the borders to Europe for refugees for about 72 hours and according to one article of Sputnik 76,000 refugees crossed the border to Europe. Kind of interesting timing to further add some oil into the fire and increasing the pressure on Europe for example.

The Trump administration considers using 1950s-era law to ramp up production of masks and protective gear as coronavirus spreads
The Trump administration considers using 1950s-era law to ramp up production of masks and protective gear as coronavirus spreads | Markets Insider

"The Defense Production Act" -
Something doesn't feel right here? I'm sensing this Coronavirus situation in a whole different light? From the very beginning, just about everything to do with this situation has been blown - way out of proportion!

I am not denying that the Coronavirus is real and many people are suffering and dying, as a result of it. What I am really seeing ... this situation was dropped in China's lap, in the heart of it's business and financial district of Wuhan, to keep China busy and pre-occupied on the home front. The World Health Organization (WHO) is running interference - to keep the hornet's nest in a frenzy - while free movement is being restricted and Border's are closing, one by one. This Coronavirus is being used as a smokescreen.

Global downturn looms as countries struggle to contain coronavirus outbreak
The coronavirus spread further on Friday, with cases reported for the first time in at least six countries across four continents,

Gatherings banned, travel restricted as coronavirus cases grow worldwide
Leaders in Europe, the Middle East and the Americas rolled out bans on big gatherings, and stricter travel restrictions
as cases of the new coronavirus spread around the world.

Saturday Night Live ... puts out better scripts then this! New York health officials are complaining, they got faulty test kits from the Federal Government but not to worry ... the U.S. Health Secretary has at least "40 public health labs" and can double that TOMORROW.

New York scrambles to replace U.S. government's faulty coronavirus test kits
New York health officials are trying to get their own coronavirus testing kits up and running after getting stuck with faulty tests from the federal government that they said left them unable to diagnose people quickly in the nation's most populous city.

U.S. health secretary says at least 40 labs can currently test for coronavirus
U.S. Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Alex Azar on Thursday said that at least 40 public health labs can currently test specimens for coronavirus and that could more than double as soon as tomorrow.

Major report here from VP Pence - "just one American" with Coronavirus is still in the hospital, out of dozens of confirmed cases but doesn't state, if it was the Washington State man - who became the first fatality?

Vice President Pence says just one American with coronavirus still in hospital
Of dozens of confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States, only one patient is still in the hospital,
U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said on Friday.

Number of U.S. coronavirus cases of unknown origin climbs to four
U.S. public health officials said they have identified four "presumptive" coronavirus cases believed to have emerged from community transmission of the infection,
signaling a turning point in efforts to contain the disease in the United States.

Washington state man becomes first U.S. coronavirus fatality
A Washington state man in his 50s with underlying health issues became the United States' first fatality from the coronavirus,

officials said on Saturday, as the Trump administration stepped up efforts to combat the spread of the global outbreak.

With those numbers ... the Pentagon wants 8 Billion under "The Defense Production Act"?

Congressional appropriators plan to soon unveil an emergency funding to address the coronavirus outbreak. The White House initially requested a $2.5 billion package that diverted some money from other federal accounts, but Trump has since signaled he was open to the $8 billion Democrats said was necessary.

Looking at current events in the Middle East for some clues ...
U.S. and Taliban sign troop withdrawal deal; now comes the hard part

The deal is another smokescreen ... perfect cover for Pompeo and U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper to be in Afghan with NATO troops.
U.S. to withdraw troops from Afghanistan in 14 months if Taliban conditions met

The Afghanistan Government made no commitment to free 5,000 Taliban prisoners as stated in a pact signed between US and Taliban.
Afghanistan did not commit to release 5,000 Taliban, Ghani says

Now we come to Syria and the games Erdogan has been playing recently in a land grab for Idlib
Turkey's Erdogan asks Russia to step aside in Syria

My guess, Pompeo and Esper, along with NATO are backing and supporting Erdogan towards "a direct Military confrontation" with the Syrian Arab Army and Russian Troops? Russia was doing more then protecting it's citizen's from the Coronavirus - Russia was securing it's Borders and set it ships out to Sea - two of which are in Syrian waters. Erdogan has been acting like a complete mad-man lately, upping the ante and I doubt that he would wait another 30 days - to do something really STUPID?

I may be completely wrong in the way I see this ... but I honestly don't think so?

I think there is another site to it, not to follow Paul Joseph Watsons argument at all, but Erdogan opened the borders to Europe for refugees for about 72 hours and according to one article of Sputnik 76,000 refugees crossed the border to Europe. Kind of interesting timing to further add some oil into the fire and increasing the pressure on Europe for example.

:-O So european PTB might be happy of Erdogan's deeds. They want more refugees to create chaos here, again and again, violence within population :curse:

Back
Top Bottom