Cryogenic Chamber Therapy / Cold Adaptation

Re: Cryogenic Chamber Therapy

:P

Ark looks like he's pondering the mysteries of the universe.

Thanks for the update. I hope everyone experiences notable improvements.

Did athletics Sunday in cold wind coming from a freezing weather-front. Deliberately had few clothes on so the cold wind blew through to the skin. Run barefoot short distances as well on the dry grass. Sprinting repeatedly while breathing in cold air plus the weight-lifting exercises had a fantastic refreshing effect.

Strangely, before the exercise the muscles seemed depleted of glycogen, (felt weak all over) and only drunk meat-soup with rendered pig fat dissolved in it before going out. Despite the weakness I had no problems with the increased running distance and intensified exercises. Maybe the strong country air energizes the body? EE has a much more distinct, deep effect in this fresh air. Eating only complex carbs, eggs, bacon, pig+chicken meat, pig fat.

Some intriguing concepts on Dr. Kruse's latest post:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26988.msg333220.html#msg333220

It complements his previous posts, but he'll probably not explain everything until his done publishing his series or ready to publish his book. It talks again about the leptin-melanocortin pathway and its relation to cold adaptation. I haven't seen his references on this pathway and its relation to cold, but I did came across it while reading the cryotherapy research:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,27112.msg329806.html#msg329806

All I can say is you guys going for -190 are very brave people! But, since you've done it, and I'm all for joining parties and fun, I feel like I'm warming up to the idea of trying it myself one day - paradoxically. ;)

I discovered that my shower has another setting that I hadn't considered, one that is really and truly cold with no input from the heating element. The first day I tried that setting was about a week ago, and boy, that was cold! I felt that my body burnt a huge amount of calories to cope with the cold water and to warm up afterwards. I shivered really quite violently while under the water. I had my usual meaty breakfast with lots of butter right after but didn't feel that I had eaten enough until I had an early lunch of bacon and eggs and butter. However since that first day of 'true cold' my body has adapted really fast, possibly because it had already adapted to a cool shower for a while before. Now I'm extending my time in the very cold water until I'm really pink, and when I get out I stand for a few minutes to let my body warm itself up, before towelling off.

An interesting thing is that after about three weeks of cold showers, I don't want to use hot or warm water for washing outside the shower. I wash my hands in cold water every time, and I always wash my face and head in cold water. I generally find that even warm water feels too warm. Leaving my hands under the cold water after rinsing off the soap is really refreshing.

aleana said:
I have also noticed increased alertness, which has made me think that hot showers and baths, like so many of other things we take for granted as being good do, in fact, just make it easier for us to “sleep”.

I think this is a good point. Cold showers, wearing less clothing in cold weather, and turning down the heating at home all seem to contribute to the opposite of 'sleep' – 'it' likes to be warm and cosy!

RedFox said:
seek10 said:
I have been doing this for a week. Not so pleasant as of now. Lot of shaking after doing or while doing. couple of days I pushed my self directly into cold water with out little warming up, It is a sort of big shock and later I was scared to take a bath ( as if traumatised). so I starting with warm up ( or nuetral ) the water first and then change slowly remove hot water and increase the coldness . It is refreshing at the same time It is scary. At max. my skin becomes little red. Not yet at the level complete red or purple Dr. Kruse suggests.

It sounds like you are over doing things and should back off seek10. If people say you are getting too thin, then work on that before going full on with the cold showers (and forget anything to do with ice).

Still , my weighing machine didn't show me losing any weight( may be little bit) , but I see the difference in mirror. Not sure how that can be. Any way , I decided to go little slow on this to calm down the scary feelings. Initially I can easily feel the heat after cold bath, later that heat came down ( probably over exposure) . Thanks for suggestion and sharing your experience.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, they are really warming (no pun intended ;))

Just a note in general that everyone should really do the necessary research before trying this treatment. In addition, people should really be taking care with the showers/baths and not just go jumping in and pushing themselves for extended lengths of time without being mindful so as to not harm yourselves.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and your experiences, Laura. :)

truth seeker said:
Just a note in general that everyone should really do the necessary research before trying this treatment. In addition, people should really be taking care with the showers/baths and not just go jumping in and pushing themselves for extended lengths of time without being mindful so as to not harm yourselves.

I agree and second those thoughts. Especially for those doing the cold showers / baths at home and there's no one who can watch out if there should be a problem. For everyone, go slow and carefully, understand what's involved, and for those who are doing it alone be extra carefully and don't rush into anything. Just my thoughts on this experiment.

Today was the first day that I felt that my body actually craved the cold water from the shower. I was about to get dressed to leave for work and since I'd left getting ready a little late, I was about to skip the shower, but felt a sense of disappointment about it and almost hungry for it if that makes sense?

So despite time being short I jumped in and for the first time didn't start with the water warm.

There is a subtle change in the colour of the skin of my hands and feet reflecting better circulation I think. Capilliary refill time is much faster, almost instant where as before I could visibly see white fading to pink, I now hardly see the white at all.

Admittedly I hadn't thought to test this or keep an eye on it during the dietary changes or improvement in breathing habits though.

Windmill knight said:
All I can say is you guys going for -190 are very brave people! But, since you've done it, and I'm all for joining parties and fun, I feel like I'm warming up to the idea of trying it myself one day - paradoxically. ;)

Actually -192 C is the nitrogen temperature at the level of the injector. -122 is the temperature at the bottom of the chamber.

I've been swimming in 12/14 C water and I find the cryo chamber treatment to be far less challenging. Water is 25 times more conductive than air. So, yes, you should definitely give it a try.

Well I did search if there are any German facilities who are offering cryotherapy. And so far I'm not really satisfied and what I could find out, that most often these chambers can be found in clinics (which means going over the health insurance and if they are paying for it is highly questionable) and other surgeries who are talking about cryo, speaking more of local treatment (small wounds, skincare etc.), ice packs and not of chambers. But what I found that for example wellness clinics could be an option, especially in foreign countries like Poland and the Czech Republic, where the price is also more affordable:

_http://www.kuren24.com/anwendungen/kaeltetherapie-kryotherapie

And this one is not too far away from where I'm living and based in the Czech Republic and has the best offer so far:

_http://www.relaxace.com/kryokammmer-kriosauna.html

I was reading this thread yesterday.

I must say I had a cold drop of sweat running down my temple thinking about that cold. This morning I've tried a warm to cold shower just to begin with it, and washed my hands during the day with cold water. Had to warm it up a bit when washing my head :)

I've really a bad feeling with anything that's cold actually, so I'll have hard time experimenting with all that. Anyway the thing that hit me stronger is the scientific evidence of the benefits of going to bed soon. Strangely enough I've experienced a feeling of sleepiness, starting with the beginning of this very week, before reading the thread... mhh, that must mean something! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all this new info!

seek10 said:
Still , my weighing machine didn't show me losing any weight( may be little bit) , but I see the difference in mirror. Not sure how that can be. Any way , I decided to go little slow on this to calm down the scary feelings. Initially I can easily feel the heat after cold bath, later that heat came down ( probably over exposure) . Thanks for suggestion and sharing your experience.
Just speculating but maybe you grew some muscle to offset the loss in fat?

Back
Top Bottom