Cryogenic Chamber Therapy / Cold Adaptation

Re: Cryogenic Chamber Therapy

found this website that lists worldwide distributors for cryogenic chambers:

http://www.healthycold.com/eng~where%20to%20buy%20cryosauna

The US website lists centers that provide treatments as well (the international sites listed in the above link may or may not do the same):

http://lifeofmillennium.com/mii-usa.php

And thanks for the update, anart!

Shane said:
found this website that lists worldwide distributors for cryogenic chambers:

http://www.healthycold.com/eng~where%20to%20buy%20cryosauna

The US website lists centers that provide treatments as well (the international sites listed in the above link may or may not do the same):

http://lifeofmillennium.com/mii-usa.php

And thanks for the update, anart!

Yes, thanks! It sounds like quite an experience. It will be interesting to see how it may changeas you have further treatments. As far a suppliers for cryochamber units goes, there is this too:

http://www.uscryotherapy.com/assets/us_cryo_products_quad.pdf They are out of the states (better shipping?) and offer training along with the installation, which is good.

anart said:
I did my first cryogenic chamber therapy session today. It was quite an experience (and very cold!). I was in a single person unit, so it wasn't very big, and you remain standing for the 2.5 to 3 minutes while the nitrogen jets blast intermittently. The jets are fairly close to the skin so the blasts are the most uncomfortable part. I started to shiver pretty much right away and threw some G-rated expletives out as the time wore on. ;) In hindsight, it was over pretty quickly, though my fight or flight response did kick in! They had me turn every ten seconds or so to make sure the blasts don't always hit the same area of skin. When I first got out I was very jittery from the adrenaline, hands were shaking, and my blood pressure had gone up about ten points, but after 20 or so minutes I became really calm. At this point (about an hour and a half after) my mood is very good and I physically feel very good, though more hungry than usual. The only other things I've noticed so far is that my hearing was super clear when I walked out of there and it still is, which is a little bizarre actually, and that the slight neck ache I had going in there is gone completely.

I have a few more sessions next week, so I'll be able to tell more after those, since one session is usually just a 'warm up' - though that phrase really doesn't apply.

Brave! Thank you for sharing, anart. Do you remember how cold it was? Also, can you do the treatments every day, or do you need some processing period in between?

I am too fascinated with all the info about the Cryogenic Chamber treatments, but I used to have hypothyroidism, though my last years lab results came out showing no thyroid problem at all. I'll have more tests I guess, before I venture out in the cold... bbbrrrrrrr....

We found this place in Vernon, British Columbia that does the treatments

http://www.sparklinghill.com/treat-yourself/wellness-treatments/cold-spa-110-degrees-celcius

As you see from the link, the temperature is -110 C and it's a big room, with an assistant with you throughout. It costs 300 Canadian dollars for 10 treatments. Although people might want to look for another hotel in the area if on a budget, this one (where the treatments take place) is expensive! (well, from my perspective... )

Thanks for the summary of your first session, anart. Interested to see what develops as you continue.

Thanks for sharing Anart. This cold stuff sure is interesting!

:)

This subject has me fascinated. One of the reasons for the fascination is that my son has always (and continues to) take cold showers. He's been doing this since he was very young. And when I say cold, I mean 'cold'. In the winter, the cold water is really, really cold. You can hear him in the shower shivering. He seems to be quite healthy.

I used to worry about him doing this, but now I'm thinking of following in his footsteps!!! :)

Looking forward to hearing more about your experience Anart.

Alana said:
Brave! Thank you for sharing, anart.

Well, my blood pressure was really high when I got there because I was just plain scared! Having no idea what I was walking into and imagining that I'd walk out with fewer toes, can do that to a person. But - it's not as scary as it sounds.

a said:
Do you remember how cold it was?

They got the skin surface air temperature down to -110C within the first 45 seconds. I said, "whoa, it's cold!" and the operator just laughed - I suppose stating the obvious is kind of silly! It WAS cold! ;D

a said:
Also, can you do the treatments every day, or do you need some processing period in between?

They actually recommend doing them every day for better results, but I can't arrange it - though I'm doing two a day next week. Doing two a day is okay if you space them out throughout the day. (as I say that, I'm thinking that you might want to ask me again next week whether it's a good idea!)

a said:
I am too fascinated with all the info about the Cryogenic Chamber treatments, but I used to have hypothyroidism, though my last years lab results came out showing no thyroid problem at all. I'll have more tests I guess, before I venture out in the cold... bbbrrrrrrr....

LOL - I read some articles where people said it didn't 'feel cold' - they lied - or I was in a different type of chamber than they were. It was cold - period.

a said:

http://www.sparklinghill.com/treat-yourself/wellness-treatments/cold-spa-110-degrees-celcius

As you see from the link, the temperature is -110 C and it's a big room, with an assistant with you throughout. It costs 300 Canadian dollars for 10 treatments. Although people might want to look for another hotel in the area if on a budget, this one (where the treatments take place) is expensive! (well, from my perspective... )

That is actually quite cheap. The going rate in the States is $90 per treatment, so that would be $900 for ten treatments (though, actually, I think you can buy a package that brings that down to around $500). That links says that you wear light clothing in the chamber - that is not the case at the center I'm attending - other than socks and gloves, your bare skin is fully exposed to the nitrogen. The place I went is having a grand opening special so I'm getting them for just under $60 a treatment, but I'm only planning on getting 5 at this point.

One other post-session note. I was told that I would sleep very deeply and probably dream vividly, but, in fact, I had trouble falling asleep and woke up in the middle of the night and lay awake for a while. Dream recall was minimal. Had I gone to sleep right when I got home that might have been different, because I was very calm and relaxed at that point, but as the evening wore on I became noticeably more alert. I'm not sure if my experience differing so much from what is 'usual' is due to the paleo-diet or something else. I'm also experiencing tenderness in my liver area, which happens very occasionally due to a botched gall bladder surgery 15 years ago. Apparently, the therapy has stirred things up down there in some way. This morning I seem in my usual state, perhaps a little more energetic.

I'm really interested to hear others experience with this experiment as we move forward!

Alana said:

There's also this one in Vancouver - http://www.cryolab.ca/index.html

It might be easier to find a place to stay there, even though the treatments themselves are a little more expensive ($450 for 10 treatments). They also say on this site that you need a minimum of 6 hours between treatments, so that seems to imply you could do more than one per day.

anart said:
They got the skin surface air temperature down to -110C within the first 45 seconds. I said, "whoa, it's cold!" and the operator just laughed - I suppose stating the obvious is kind of silly! It WAS cold! ;D

anart said:
They actually recommend doing them every day for better results, but I can't arrange it - though I'm doing two a day next week. Doing two a day is okay if you space them out throughout the day. (as I say that, I'm thinking that you might want to ask me again next week whether it's a good idea!)

anart said:
That is actually quite cheap. The going rate in the States is $90 per treatment, so that would be $900 for ten treatments (though, actually, I think you can buy a package that brings that down to around $500). That links says that you wear light clothing in the chamber - that is not the case at the center I'm attending - other than socks and gloves, your bare skin is fully exposed to the nitrogen. The place I went is having a grand opening special so I'm getting them for just under $60 a treatment, but I'm only planning on getting 5 at this point.

Thank you! It's good to know you can do one (or more - I'll wait to hear from you on that!) in a day. If people need to travel to get them, it can take less time. It does sound intimidating, but I think that with a little kicking and screaming, I could do 3 minutes at a time myself ;D :pirate:

dugdeep said:
There's also this one in Vancouver - http://www.cryolab.ca/index.html

It might be easier to find a place to stay there, even though the treatments themselves are a little more expensive ($450 for 10 treatments). They also say on this site that you need a minimum of 6 hours between treatments, so that seems to imply you could do more than one per day.

Thanks, dugdeep. That sounds like another good possibility. And they don't have thyroid issues in their contraindications:

Acute decompensation with chronic cardiovascular diseases
A heart attack and rehabilitation after a heart attack;
Brain strokes;
Hypertension – stage II (blood pressure of 180/100 mm Hg
A history of heart failure;
High pulse rate or heart rhythm disorders;
Fever;
Tuberculosis;
Malignant tumors;
Hemorrhagic diathesis;
Hysterical Neurosis (Anxiety Disorder);
Raynauds Disease;
Pregnancy;
Epilepsy;
Recent skin grafts;

And they are talking of cellulite reduction by the third session, woohoo!

It also seems that the top of the one-person chamber is open, so I guess the head is out. From their FAQ:

I am claustrophobic. Can I use the Cryosauna?

Yes, you can! The door is never locked and you can step out at any moment. Also, the stage inside the cabin is adjusted to keep your head outside and over the edge of the cabin at all times.

I won't be able to do this for a long while anyway, so I will too be looking forward for more testimonials from all you guys :cool:

SeekinTruth said:
...It IS supposed to be great for weigh loss for people who hit a plateau and then stop losing weight or it proceeds VERY slowly on a ketogenic diet, besides all the other health / longevity / performance benefits claimed. FWIW.

I'm sorry but I am WAY behind on this topic (and I may not be alone). All I have heard from Kruse so far is that this might be an option for people that are morbidly obese, which he was at one time (and so was I). How did we get from there to something for "the rest of us?"

Yeah, I'll probably be doing the home protocol of Dr. Kruse, but I still have a lot of reading to do. I have been going out in the cold with much less clothing and sleeping without a blanket (just a sheet) a lot, and taking colder showers the last couple of weeks getting myself ready slowly.

By the way, does anybody know how low the skin temperature goes when at -130C to -165C air temperatures in the 2 to 3 minutes of exposure?

Megan said:
SeekinTruth said:
...It IS supposed to be great for weigh loss for people who hit a plateau and then stop losing weight or it proceeds VERY slowly on a ketogenic diet, besides all the other health / longevity / performance benefits claimed. FWIW.

I'm sorry but I am WAY behind on this topic (and I may not be alone). All I have heard from Kruse so far is that this might be an option for people that are morbidly obese, which he was at one time (and so was I). How did we get from there to something for "the rest of us?"

Well, from what I've read so far, that's how he started -- for morbid obesity -- but it's evolved into a whole theory of health and longevity benefits (as long as you're already keto adapted). He claims that being cold adapted gives "superhuman" abilities. From a little bit of reading around about this becoming a big thing with many top athletes (as is a low carb/ketogenic paleo diet), it seems like there's at least some solid science behind it. Also Dr. Kruse gives the example of cold adapted people historically, especially those living in the Himalayas (Sherpas, monks, etc.) that are NOT fat at all. But they're supposed to easily live to a 100 years old or more in great health, with really sharp minds, incredible stamina, sometimes eating very little, and able to withstand very harsh environments with no problem. FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom