Dental Health

I went to a holistic dentist more than a week ago to finally find out more about getting my amalgams removed. A spendy procedure, just one section will cost about $2500 so would need to pay in installments. I have insurance but it will likely cover only a minimal amount of the entire cost. Pretty sure I have a total of 9 mercury fillings.

The dental assistant mentioned the composite material is called 3M Filtek Supreme, she did say it has trace amounts of BPA. Not too reassuring. I looked up the other ingredients but wasn't sure about listing them all here. Hard to know how safe they really are. Looks like the two main ingredients are: Silane Treated Ceramic and Substituted Dimethacrylate, and some of the others are: Bisphenol A Diglycidyl Ether Dimethacrylate (Bisgma), Silane Treated Silica, Triethylene Glycol Dimethacrylate (TEGDMA). Looking at the dentists website they call them: biocompatible and bioesthetic material.

I have been reading through this thread and I think I may purchase the Amalgam Illness, Diagnosis of Treatment by Andrew Hall Cutler that was referenced earlier. I have often wondered at the level of anxiety and fatigue, even depression I have had over the years and how much of it may be due to mercury toxicity from the amalgams. A big concern is whether it's worth it to replace the amalgams (it costing as much as it does) when the composite material might not even be that safe.

I have read on this post that removing the old mercury amalgams is a tricky and expensive procedure. Where i live in Macedonia it is done on the fly as to say.
For example: I have few amalgams in my mouth for almost 20 years. Last year i have to remove 2 of them and replace with some modern composite filling and one more 2 weeks ago. The doctors dont care how they remove the old amalgams. They are just drilling and all that peaces are falling in the mouth. Then they wash the place with water a i spit all that nasty amalgams in the sink.THey repeat the procedure until they remove it all , and then they replaced it with new fillings.
So it was done with no extra precautions because of the toxicity of the amalgams.

Its not that just my dentist is doing that on that way.All the dentists here are doing that on the same way. :shock:
And its not expensive . Removing one amalgam and replacing it with new filling will cost from 5 to 10 Euros depending from the dentists. The insurance is not covering dental fillings or amalgam removals.

While they drilled and removed amalgams, the dust and small particles of that were all over my mouth. I hope i didn't swallow some of them.

I still have one more old filling in my mouth . The plan is to remove it as soon as possible, but as i already described the "procedure" i`m in doubt.

Cleo said:
I went to a holistic dentist more than a week ago to finally find out more about getting my amalgams removed. A spendy procedure, just one section will cost about $2500 so would need to pay in installments. I have insurance but it will likely cover only a minimal amount of the entire cost. Pretty sure I have a total of 9 mercury fillings.

The dental assistant mentioned the composite material is called 3M Filtek Supreme, she did say it has trace amounts of BPA. Not too reassuring. I looked up the other ingredients but wasn't sure about listing them all here. Hard to know how safe they really are. Looks like the two main ingredients are: Silane Treated Ceramic and Substituted Dimethacrylate, and some of the others are: Bisphenol A Diglycidyl Ether Dimethacrylate (Bisgma), Silane Treated Silica, Triethylene Glycol Dimethacrylate (TEGDMA). Looking at the dentists website they call them: biocompatible and bioesthetic material.

I have been reading through this thread and I think I may purchase the Amalgam Illness, Diagnosis of Treatment by Andrew Hall Cutler that was referenced earlier. I have often wondered at the level of anxiety and fatigue, even depression I have had over the years and how much of it may be due to mercury toxicity from the amalgams. A big concern is whether it's worth it to replace the amalgams (it costing as much as it does) when the composite material might not even be that safe.
You might want to have a consult with another biocompatible dentist, for both materials and cost. I don't think costs should exceed $500 per filling removal and replacement. Also, your consult should be with the dentist directly, not assistants.

hlat said:
Cleo said:

You might want to have a consult with another biocompatible dentist, for both materials and cost. I don't think costs should exceed $500 per filling removal and replacement. Also, your consult should be with the dentist directly, not assistants.

Yeah, I think that'd be a good idea. So far I have found one other biocompatible dentist here in town. I checked my teeth and it looks like I have 12 teeth with mercury fillings, not 9-so just a bit of an oversight on my part, thought I was was told 9 that day which at the time did seem less than expected. One of the twelve has a crown over it from a root canal years ago. Think I will ask them for more detailed paperwork, showing how much each tooth will cost, not just the pricing for one section. I also did meet with the dentist for the exam, but it was the receptionist who I also believe is a dental assistant who went over the the pricing.

Konstantin said:
I have read on this post that removing the old mercury amalgams is a tricky and expensive procedure. Where i live in Macedonia it is done on the fly as to say.

I still have one more old filling in my mouth . The plan is to remove it as soon as possible, but as i already described the "procedure" i`m in doubt.

I think it is part of the reason why I have put it off as long as I have, because of how involved and expensive the procedure seems to be. Understandably you'd be in doubt Konstantin about your next procedure. I was told by my mother several weeks ago that when she went in for a filling, the dentist extracted part of a cracked mercury filling I believe to replace it with a composite, but without using a specific amalgam removal protocol-I almost wasn't sure I was hearing her right, but understandably the place she goes to is not a holistic dentistry.

Konstantin said:
For example: I have few amalgams in my mouth for almost 20 years. Last year i have to remove 2 of them and replace with some modern composite filling and one more 2 weeks ago. The doctors dont care how they remove the old amalgams. They are just drilling and all that peaces are falling in the mouth. Then they wash the place with water a i spit all that nasty amalgams in the sink.THey repeat the procedure until they remove it all , and then they replaced it with new fillings.
So it was done with no extra precautions because of the toxicity of the amalgams.

Its not that just my dentist is doing that on that way.All the dentists here are doing that on the same way. :shock:

:shock: Dude! They don't even know what they're doing there! I hope you have or are about to start a detox protocol to help your body get rid of it. This is really important.

When I had my amalgam fillings removed, I did find a dentist who knew what she was doing and she followed the safety protocols. She told me to use chlorella for at least 3 months for chelation.

Here's a post with useful links:

Data said:
When removing amalgam, it is first important that the dentist uses a Dental Dam to prevent you from swallowing the amalgam dust, which would add Mercury load to your body.

After all amalgam is removed, Chelation Therapy can be used to draw Mercury out of the body. People in this forum have experimented with DMSA (higher affinity to Mercury) and EDTA (higher affinity to Iron) chelators. See here for example, also use the search function to find more info:

DMSA for heavy metal detox - how long available?

Vitamin C, Alpha Lipoic Acid and N-acetylcysteine (NAC) alone won't do much in terms of Mercury removal, but they are very important in excreting the ingested chelators DMSA and EDTA from the body, once they have taken up and are saturated by Mercury.

Related threads in this forum:

Questions on heavy metal chelation

Hemochromatosis and Autoimmune Conditions

Very good book on the topic:

_http://www.amazon.com/Detoxification-Healing-The-Optimal-Health/dp/0658012193

Thank you Aiming. I will read the links that you have posted and i will do a little research.
I know that they dont know what they are doing. I dont have much choices about dentists here. I will try to find what i can to start some detox process.
Its a very important for optimal health.

Konstantin said:

And its not expensive . Removing one amalgam and replacing it with new filling will cost from 5 to 10 Euros depending from the dentists. The insurance is not covering dental fillings or amalgam removals.

While they drilled and removed amalgams, the dust and small particles of that were all over my mouth. I hope i didn't swallow some of them.

You are right Konstantin. My dentist did the same procedure, as anything else. No precautions at all. I hope me too that I did not swallow mercury. Really, we live in a world of incompetents. :curse:

Two days ago, I went to my dentist. I had a tooth where a filling competely fell out on my lower right jaw . The dentist recommended that I get two silver amalgams removed right by it, because she might hit it. Pay for the dental dam, oxygen, etc. I was really unsure about it at the time and gave into the docs recommendation but know am regreat it.

They used a dental dam, vaccum, cold water but used a breathing tube instead of a beathing mask. Also they did not cover my face and I washed my mouth out when I got home/took a shower. The iaomt organization said the nasal cannula is not effictve but Ive seen other dentist use it?

For the first two days I felt pretty normal but today I feel tired more so then normal. I am taking chollera and going start taking some other supplements. I dont know if I should do low does chelation as I read those carry risks themselves and you have to be quite healthy.

I wont be going back to this dentist, as I feel they kinda pushing treatment to make money but I know at the end of day it was my choice. Do you guys have any feedback? Hope I did not take in too much mercury? Worried now :/ Thank you for reading

I completed a DMSA detox cycle after every mercury removal.
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,16812.0.html

Hello Everyone:

me too, I have 3 mercury fillings, and I wish I had the money to remove them, here in Los Angeles, CA. it is quite expensive to remove them, ironically when I got them they were really cheap, not knowing what I was getting myself into...
I don't feel any problems at this moment, but in the long run I'm kind of scared... :-[

hlat said:
I completed a DMSA detox cycle after every mercury removal.
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,16812.0.html

Thanks for the link. I think I will go on a low dose heavy metal detox for a little while, will order some DSMA.

I should have done my research and prepared, I do feel like it was not done with full safety. These last couple of days I have been feeling off. Sometimes my arms feel weak or my whole body. I have been also having some back aches and feel a bit nauseous at work today. Ive read that after removal of mercury feelings, it takes two weeks for levels in the body to start declining. I am worred that maybe I have been exposed to a excess amount of mercury.

On the ioamt website it says "A nasal cannula that admits ambient air won’t help." What is ambient air? My dentist had oxygen coming from a tank into a nasal cannula. People with experince, do you feel like the measures taken were enough? I know its hard to say, just lookin for resurance for some peace of mind. Should have stuck to my gut feeling.

So people do get on a optimal diet and get as healthy as you can before removing them.

I have a quick question about dental health. After reading up on this thread and doing a bit of due diligence I'm left on the fence as to the importance of getting my wisdom teeth removed if I have no major issues with them. I visited the dentist a few weeks ago for a teeth cleaning and they did a yearly X-Ray. They said I have the early onset of gum disease, so basically bacteria has managed to grow underneath my gums which could cause problems later on.

On top of that they recommended I also get my wisdom teeth removed due to space issues and that if they were to do the deep cleaning, that if my wisdom teeth weren't removed, they would have to do a second cleaning. Why, I'm not sure. Although I have an appointment with the dentist today so I might question her further.

But it seems to me that if my wisdom teeth don't hurt, I don't have the gums growing over top of it, and the only issue with them being there is space, then they are recommending having this done to line their pockets, because even with my insurance benefits, getting both a deep cleaning and my wisdom teeth removed will cost thousands of dollars.

When I started going to the dentist 1 1/2 years ago, they did X-Rays and said my teeth were perfect other than the fact I needed to floss more and get regular cleanings. Part of my skepticism is also due to the fact that several other people I know were also told by this new hire at the dental office that they have early onset of gum disease as well. It seems a bit convenient that a completely new person would work on my teeth, do X-Rays and discover all these issues that will cost me an arm and a leg meanwhile a number of other people had similar recommendations. Anyone have any experience with situations like this or any advice?

I think a wise course of action is to get a second and maybe third opinion from a dentist in a different office.

Also, I think it would be better to keep your wisdom teeth that is not causing any real problems than to have them removed due to "space issues".

What kind of toothbrush and toothpaste do you use? My previous dentist recommended a Sonicare where the brush head oscillates sideways, and I've been very happy with it, compared to the Oral B I had before.

Sounds to me like they're just out for the bucks too Turgon. They probably figure it's a common procedure and you'll go for it not giving it a second thought. If they think it will cause problems down the road then tell them you'll deal with it then. I would have the cleaning done and call it a day. Funny they say you have the early onset of gum disease though cause my dentist told me that my gums have gotten much stronger since I've started the keto diet. Do you have sensitive spots or bleeding or something?

Maybe you should get a second opinion like hlat suggested. These new people may not be trustworthy at all. I also second the recommendation on the Sonicare toothbrush. It's less abrasive than the rotating Oral B and cleans just as well if not better imo.

Turgon said:
I have a quick question about dental health. After reading up on this thread and doing a bit of due diligence I'm left on the fence as to the importance of getting my wisdom teeth removed if I have no major issues with them. I visited the dentist a few weeks ago for a teeth cleaning and they did a yearly X-Ray. They said I have the early onset of gum disease, so basically bacteria has managed to grow underneath my gums which could cause problems later on.

On top of that they recommended I also get my wisdom teeth removed due to space issues and that if they were to do the deep cleaning, that if my wisdom teeth weren't removed, they would have to do a second cleaning. Why, I'm not sure. Although I have an appointment with the dentist today so I might question her further.

But it seems to me that if my wisdom teeth don't hurt, I don't have the gums growing over top of it, and the only issue with them being there is space, then they are recommending having this done to line their pockets, because even with my insurance benefits, getting both a deep cleaning and my wisdom teeth removed will cost thousands of dollars.

When I started going to the dentist 1 1/2 years ago, they did X-Rays and said my teeth were perfect other than the fact I needed to floss more and get regular cleanings. Part of my skepticism is also due to the fact that several other people I know were also told by this new hire at the dental office that they have early onset of gum disease as well. It seems a bit convenient that a completely new person would work on my teeth, do X-Rays and discover all these issues that will cost me an arm and a leg meanwhile a number of other people had similar recommendations. Anyone have any experience with situations like this or any advice?

Hey Turgon,

I would probably feel the same way as you do about this situation. It does seem to be a bit suspicious, as surely if there was something wrong, then you would feel pain, no? Then again, most people have no awareness that their diet is killing them and so don't do anything till it gets major etc.

I would get a second opinion too. 'Spacing' issues doesn't seem to me like a legitimate reason to pull otherwise healthy teeth. I wouldn't let them in your position, especially with it costing that much money!

Back
Top Bottom