Dental Health

Paragon said:
Hey Turgon,

I would probably feel the same way as you do about this situation. It does seem to be a bit suspicious, as surely if there was something wrong, then you would feel pain, no? Then again, most people have no awareness that their diet is killing them and so don't do anything till it gets major etc.

I would get a second opinion too. 'Spacing' issues doesn't seem to me like a legitimate reason to pull otherwise healthy teeth. I wouldn't let them in your position, especially with it costing that much money!

It sounds like a scam to me too. I'd get a second opinion. If you choose to stay with this dentist, tell them you want to keep your wisdom teeth. I'd even consider just a regular cleaning and see how things go (toothwise) from there.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Paragon said:
'Spacing' issues doesn't seem to me like a legitimate reason to pull otherwise healthy teeth

No it doesn't. I ended up having an hour long sit down with the dentist, she admitted her new hire took a far too aggressive approach. After going over the X-Rays it turns out that the only legitimate reasons they had for even removing the wisdom teeth were 1) "preventative" care, in case it were to get worse over time, and 2) to make cleaning under the gums easier at the back of my mouth. I opted out of this procedure after everything was said and done but decided to go for the root planing procedure (gum cleaning), which my insurance will cover 80% of.

Although it requires them to freeze my mouth by inserting a needle, which I'm not looking forward to! :scared:

Pete said:
Funny they say you have the early onset of gum disease though cause my dentist told me that my gums have gotten much stronger since I've started the keto diet. Do you have sensitive spots or bleeding or something?

I asked the dentist about this and we compared my 2013 X-Rays to the recent ones and there wasn't much change. There was slightly more decay inflammation occurring in certain areas, but not much. Being on the keto diet and having so little sugar on this diet, this is kind of surprising to me. I wonder if the fact that I still get inflammation periodically is a contributing factor, although I have started taking lactobacillus rhamnoses and seeing what effect that has. I have noticed a reduction in gut inflammation lately.

hlat said:
What kind of toothbrush and toothpaste do you use? My previous dentist recommended a Sonicare where the brush head oscillates sideways, and I've been very happy with it, compared to the Oral B I had before.

I use Tea Tree Oil and Neem toothpaste that contains essential oils and baking soda with a regular toothbrush. But I will look into the sonicare toothbrush and see what the prices and reviews are on it.

Thanks.

I have 3 that came out normal, and never bothered me, I even didn't know they were wisdom teeth until later :P
now i know.

But I had this last one, which made my life impossible for two weeks and wasn't even out. I left it untreated and the pain went away, just the sensation of the tooth now.

But now it broke the skin and you can see the side of the tooth through the broken skin, because it came out at an angle against the other one.

I don't know if I should just remove it, in case the pain suddenly appears, I still hold hopes the tooth will face up like all his brothers :lol2:

But I don't know..

Felipe4 said:
I don't know if I should just remove it, in case the pain suddenly appears, I still hold hopes the tooth will face up like all his brothers :lol2:

But I don't know..

When you get to the point about what you described with the last one I think its better to get it remove before start affecting the other teeth and you will avoid much pain in the future.. more like a "just in case" ;)

I guess i will have to.. Also the posibility of food getting stuck inside of the gum next to the tooth, may affect it from the inside.

I was watching tooth removal proceidures and found how people remove them themselves.

It's freaky.

In adition, i happen to have neck pains from a neck problem that i have, I also think the tooth is affecting my neck.....

Felipe4 said:
I guess i will have to.. Also the posibility of food getting stuck inside of the gum next to the tooth, may affect it from the inside.

I was watching tooth removal proceidures and found how people remove them themselves.

It's freaky.

In adition, i happen to have neck pains from a neck problem that i have, I also think the tooth is affecting my neck.....

Yup, tooth pain sometimes could give you headaches, general head pain and even fever sometimes, especially the wisdom ones..

I started smoking 3 years ago. 2 years ago I started smoking pipe. At that time I didn't wash my teeth exept with a licorice stick.
I didn't pay attention to the appearance of my teeth. Then, something like 1 years ago I realise that my teeth were black. I started to brush my teeth with home made toothpaste (half baking soda, half coconut oil or green clay, plus few drops of mint tree essential oil) and doing oil pulling with coconut oil before meal.

I didn't see much improvement.

I finally get to the dentist yesterday. He said he never saw anything like that in his 35 years career.

He started cleaning the teeth. I have another appointment in two month for him to finish the job.

I will try to stick to cigarillo for now and maybe start again to smoke the pipe tabacco in the form of cigarettes.

Turgon said:

Paragon said:
'Spacing' issues doesn't seem to me like a legitimate reason to pull otherwise healthy teeth

No it doesn't. I ended up having an hour long sit down with the dentist, she admitted her new hire took a far too aggressive approach. After going over the X-Rays it turns out that the only legitimate reasons they had for even removing the wisdom teeth were 1) "preventative" care, in case it were to get worse over time, and 2) to make cleaning under the gums easier at the back of my mouth. I opted out of this procedure after everything was said and done but decided to go for the root planing procedure (gum cleaning), which my insurance will cover 80% of.

Although it requires them to freeze my mouth by inserting a needle, which I'm not looking forward to! :scared:

I'm not a dentist or hygenist but to me, that comes across as BS. That's like saying well, your leg might get broken in the future, so to be on the safe side, let's amputate it and prevent that from happening, shall we. :lol:

I had veneers done when I was 19 (2009) because I had terrible looking twisted teeth. I, like many other people, hate needles and especially one that go into the mouth! My dentist used a special kind of needle that was not nearly as painful, more like when you dig a pentip into your skin (don't ask why lol!) for a while. I think it was called a 'magic wand needle'. He may or may not have that for you, but if he doesn't, then some numbing cream could do the trick! :)

Hope it all goes well for ya Turgon

Turgon said:

Paragon said:

Pete said:
Funny they say you have the early onset of gum disease though cause my dentist told me that my gums have gotten much stronger since I've started the keto diet. Do you have sensitive spots or bleeding or something?

I asked the dentist about this and we compared my 2013 X-Rays to the recent ones and there wasn't much change. There was slightly more decay inflammation occurring in certain areas, but not much. Being on the keto diet and having so little sugar on this diet, this is kind of surprising to me. I wonder if the fact that I still get inflammation periodically is a contributing factor, although I have started taking lactobacillus rhamnoses and seeing what effect that has. I have noticed a reduction in gut inflammation lately.

hlat said:
What kind of toothbrush and toothpaste do you use? My previous dentist recommended a Sonicare where the brush head oscillates sideways, and I've been very happy with it, compared to the Oral B I had before.

I use Tea Tree Oil and Neem toothpaste that contains essential oils and baking soda with a regular toothbrush. But I will look into the sonicare toothbrush and see what the prices and reviews are on it.

Thanks.

After countless dental issues requiring the numbing/freezing, my coping included deep breathing with eyes shut! It may sound simplistic but it

worked for me.

Goemon_ said:
I started smoking 3 years ago. 2 years ago I started smoking pipe. At that time I didn't wash my teeth exept with a licorice stick.
I didn't pay attention to the appearance of my teeth. Then, something like 1 years ago I realise that my teeth were black. I started to brush my teeth with home made toothpaste (half baking soda, half coconut oil or green clay, plus few drops of mint tree essential oil) and doing oil pulling with coconut oil before meal.

I didn't see much improvement.

I finally get to the dentist yesterday. He said he never saw anything like that in his 35 years career.

He started cleaning the teeth. I have another appointment in two month for him to finish the job.

I will try to stick to cigarillo for now and maybe start again to smoke the pipe tabacco in the form of cigarettes.

There are tooth cleaning kits you can buy online or even in stores, if you don't mind doing it yourself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mammoth-XT-Complete-Dental-Cleaning/dp/B009ZDPORC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1427459925&sr=8-6&keywords=tooth+cleaning+kit

..I've done this myself a few times, after coconut oil pulling. Sometimes I just do it with little scissors, the tobacco stains come off real easy anyway.

I also recently found that scrubbing your teeth with Activated charcoal improves the whiteness. Here's a video of a girl doing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xETW8UrBuzU

Hi guys. So i had my wisdom tooth removed last thursday, and it's been aching a lot since then, and after seeing the pain increased at times, specially after waking up, i was looking online what it might be, and i think i have a "dry socket". Where once the tooth is pulled the socket dries exposing the bone.

Now some black tissue formed around the bone and on top of this a white-greenish thing appeared.

It hurt today so i decided to try to clean it since the dentist was not open today.

I tried salt water, ice, coconut oil, presure to see it any pus came and although it helps and salt and coconut oil is a good thing to have,
the pain seem to increase instead of decrease.

I do not want to take pain killers and antibiotics so i will try garlic and more ice now that i cleaned that stuff out of the hole.

I wanted to know if anyone had any other suggestion.

PS: the first days i experienced diziness and headaches. :nuts:

I have had success using myrrh wrapped in cheese cloth and applied to the affected area. It is beneficial as an astringent and antiseptic. I had almost instant relief!

Maybe this as a temporary fix until you visit your dentist.

Thank you, never heard of myrrh oil, im reading a bit on it now. Seems promising, and it is weird, i had tooth pulled out before and it never took so long to heal.

After the extraction, blood fills up the hole and overflows, you have to clean and aply presure to stop the bleeding and let it clot and remain there, that is what stops anything to get into the whole and brings the skin back together.
At some point the clot must have come out.... Exposing the bone, It makes sense now :ohboy:

Ok today i went to the dentist, just came out actually, after a week of mild mouth misery,
And i told the dentist, i thought i had a dry socket, he said oh you did your reseach! I said ok?

But anyway, he said it was, and went ahead and explained what i had already figured out, i told him what i had been doing, and then he said that dry socket is common and has a somewhat easy fix.

He took this little root, reopened the hole and placed it in, till it reached the bone :scared: :scared:

As it happens it was cloves, the root or some part of the tree and he said yes it is cloves.

And it is getting a little better and looks it's taking effect already. I had no idea cloves had that property.

Also prescrived amoxicilin and painkillers.
Im hesitant to take penicillin...

In the meantime im seeing how it developes...

Just wanted to add that since i couldn't find on the forum anything about dry sockets.

Back
Top Bottom