Dental Health

I started having pain when chewing in an upper left tooth around the molars. It's only painful when I need force to chew, and not painful when chewing soft things. It's been going on for about 2 weeks just before Easter, so I've been chewing on my right side when necessary.

I've been swishing with Lugol's for a couple seconds every day for a long time. A couple months ago I started brushing with Arm and Hammer baking soda. The last couple days I've tried swishing with a tablespoon of coconut oil for 10 minutes. I've thought about ordering CoQ10 like this one.

I haven't had any dental problems as an adult. When I was a child, I had a ton of cavities and mercury fillings. My previous dentist's office removed all the mercury fillings before he retired.

I don't have a dentist and haven't seen one for about 5 years since my previous one retired, because I don't know a good one, who knows fluoride is bad and mercury is bad and xrays are bad. I may have to pick a new one and go, if any are even open during the shutdown.

Can anyone help with advice, tips, ideas? Thanks.

I don't have a dentist and haven't seen one for about 5 years since my previous one retired, because I don't know a good one, who knows fluoride is bad and mercury is bad and xrays are bad. I may have to pick a new one and go, if any are even open during the shutdown.

I can't help you with your problem hlat, but I solved the issue of dentists being ignorant about fluoride by telling them I'm badly allergic to it. It works like a charm and they always read labels before proceeding. That said, I haven't had a cavity since I ditched fluoride toothpaste 6-7 years ago, whereas previously I had at least one a year.

As for pain when chewing something hard, I have a tooth that does the same thing but it comes and goes. It will bother me for a couple of days or weeks and then disappear for months, if not a year. I'm not a medical professional but I suspect the tooth may be pinching a nerve or something. It has an old filling which may impact on how the tooth interacts with nerves. I'd think that a cavity or infection wouldn't disappear like that and it wouldn't only be noticeable during applying pressure mechanically.

So even if you struggle to find a dentist during the lockdown you may be fine to wait, just chew on the other side more often.

I would have it checked for an opinion, at least to get an X ray. Dentists are available for emergencies.

This may depend on the location I think. I recently had a pretty bad dental problem and I was told by the UK's NHS that no dental appointments or surgeries were offered until the end of the lockdown. This included emergency ones. All they were able to offer was a prescription for antibiotics and painkillers - and that was only when the tooth had signs of a pretty bad infection. As long as I was reporting only pain, but no swelling visible form the outside the only advice was OTC paracetamol.

I hope it doesn't come across too ranty but I guess it would be a good idea for others to have a dental check done in case there is another lockdown in the future and dentists stop working.

That said, as policies and severity of lockdown differs in different US states hlat may be lucky and see a doctor for an emergency appointment to get the tooth checked out.

Last edited:
I had the same problem but with the bottom one.
I put a sterile compress that I cut into several pieces so that it is not too thick when I roll it up into a sausage roll, then I put it between the cheek and the gum where the diseased tooth is, I put several drops of the mixture I made for this problem. I do this before going to bed and leave it overnight without risk of swallowing it and this for 4/5 nights in a row.
I don't have any more pain since mid-February.
For this mixture I use one of my small empty bottles of lugol, I put directly in it a dose of physiological saline + 25 drops of lugol and I complete it with liquid DMSO at 99,9 %.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

You may want to try something very easy to find and very potent, I can attest it : Clove

I would have it checked for an opinion, at least to get an X ray.
Ok I will make inquiries.

As for pain when chewing something hard, I have a tooth that does the same thing but it comes and goes. It will bother me for a couple of days or weeks and then disappear for months, if not a year. I'm not a medical professional but I suspect the tooth may be pinching a nerve or something. It has an old filling which may impact on how the tooth interacts with nerves. I'd think that a cavity or infection wouldn't disappear like that and it wouldn't only be noticeable during applying pressure mechanically.
For chewing something very hard, a few years ago I had a problem on the upper right side. It's gone now, though it was there for a while. But it wasn't a huge problem before because I rarely ate anything very hard. I was hoping this current problem would just go away too like the previous one, but it is more sensitive than the previous problem.

For this mixture I use one of my small empty bottles of lugol, I put directly in it a dose of physiological saline + 25 drops of lugol and I complete it with liquid DMSO at 99,9 %.
You put 25 drops of lugols in a bottle? How much saline did you put in the bottle? How much DMSO did you put in the bottle?

You may want to try something very easy to find and very potent, I can attest it : Clove
I'm scared by this. Did you use cloves for only a short time, or for a long time?
Clove oil should only be used for temporary relief as prolonged use can deaden the nerve.
If you use clove oil to get relief from a simple cavity please do no do so repeatedly as it is possible to do more harm than good in the long run - only use this remedy to make the wait for your dentist's appointment go by more easily.

I'm scared by this. Did you use cloves for only a short time, or for a long time?

Short use, except than cooking ! And I'm not scared at all since my own dentist said it is the ONLY substance known that can cicatrice the enamel (without talking about all the other good qualities)

And anyway, it's so potent that no long use is needed !

And it just happens to me that clove seems like tooth in a way, so the sympathy law applies here.

You put 25 drops of lugols in a bottle? How much saline did you put in the bottle? How much DMSO did you put in the bottle?

You take a small empty bottle of Lugol( 12% Solution iodo-ioduree selon Lugol 30ml (iodine/iode): Amazon.fr: HygiÚne et Soins du corps ), if you kept one, of course! Then you poured two scoops of saline solution ( Physiodose serum physiologique unidose 40x5ml + 5x5ml gratis : Tous les Produits Physiodose serum physiologique unidose 40x5ml + 5x5ml gratis Pas Cher & Discount,
you add 25 drops of iodine and the amount of DMSO to make it about 50/50.

I think this explanation is clearer, please excuse me !

Clove oil should only be used for temporary relief as prolonged use can deaden the nerve.
If you use clove oil to get relief from a simple cavity please do no do so repeatedly as it is possible to do more harm than good in the long run - only use this remedy to make the wait for your dentist's appointment go by more easily.

Apart from deadening the nerve, clove is a potent antibacterial. If you use it in the mouth you'll most likely end up ingesting it and prolonged use may disrupt your gut flora. Just like antibiotics, they shouldn't be taken for a long time either as long-term use will cause more problems than good.

That said, I heard many testimonials from people who used fresh clove and clove essential oil. During my recent dental issue a number of people said it really helped them with a toothache and most said the problem didn't come back. I suspect those who said clove solved the problem instead of just easing the pain may have had a bacterial infection. And come to think of this, cavities are caused by bacterial activity so it makes sense clove helps. And it's a bonus that it can numb the pain while at the same time resolving the issue.

I do something similar, minus the saline. I don't know if it applies to all salt or just Celtic/Himalayan varieties, but salt can carry iodine out of the body reducing it potency. I apply 12% iodine on a cotton bud, the same stuff I use to clean my ears, then I apply it on the gums around the affected tooth. After that I apply 99,99% pure DMSO, which is not only antibacterial but it also helps transport iodine into the tissue. It tastes vile but it doesn't burn as much as it does when it's applied anywhere else on the skin.

It resolved the problem overnight every time I tried it before, but recently this little combo didn't help and antibiotics were needed. I quickly developed symptoms of a systemic response to an infection so no wonder an internal action worked better. If your toothache only causes local symptoms and not a whole body reaction, then it may be worth a try I think.

That said, getting a scan of your teeth would be a good idea even if the toothache goes away, to not only find out what's going on with that tooth, but also check if others may be at risk of causing issues in the future. I must say that a tooth infection in the middle of a lockdown traumatised me somewhat, so I'll be getting a thorough check-up as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Hi hlat, I'd also go for a scan just in case. You might also be interested in this mouthwash: Nature's Answer, PerioBrite, Natural Mouthwash Coolmint, 16 fl oz (480 ml)

Dentist formulated PerioBrite Natural Mouthwash contains soothing organic herbs well-known for their cleansing action, while Co-Q10, Folic Acid, Oregano, Cinnamon and Clove supports tissue and gum health.

Based on my own experiences, whenever I have a tooth problem, vitamin C usually fixes it, though I haven't experienced the pain you mentioned. As others said I would have it checked out.

I saw an oral surgeon today. He's the brother of a former friend, so he did it as a courtesy for me. He found that a molar had a large, old filling that cracked and caught his dental tool. I didn't see a fracture in the CT scan, but he pointed at one cross section of the root and indicated that a fracture might have gone from the cracked filling up to the root. He mentioned getting a crown in place of the cracked filling, and cautioned that the tooth might be really sensitive after a crown, which might then require a root canal or extraction and implant. He said I should chew on the other side until this is taken care of. He recommended that I see a general practitioner and get a second opinion, so I've been playing phone tag with the general practitioner that I selected.

That cracked filling is a replacement filling that I got after having all mercury fillings removed. I'm also still wondering if this will resolve itself over time, like what happened on my right side several years ago.

My molar was really stained by I presume the Lugol's, and I was shocked by the discoloration. I'm not sure if I will continue swishing with Lugol's daily or cut back or stop.

I made an appointment today with a general practitioner dentist that I haven't seen before. The person making the appointment said that I would have to pay $80 for a COVID-1984 test before being seen. It would be a finger prick blood test that would show results within minutes.

After I got home from work and discussed this with my wife, I decided not to see this dentist if they insist on this test. The winning statement from my wife was that since we know this virus is no big deal, what other unnecessary and expensive tests and procedures will this dentist recommend?

So I will contact the dentist's office again to ask if I can be seen without a test, and cancel if necessary. I would be back to square one looking for a new dentist.

What do you think I should do?

--

I started taking 300 mg of coenzyme Q-10 from CVS because I received some bottles for free. My concern is about the ingredients Soy Lecithin that is almost certainly GMO and Titanium Dioxide Color. Should I continue taking these, or throw them away?

I made an appointment with a new dentist, who does not require stupid COVID-1984 tests.

I also stopped with Lugol's for now and switched to Iodoral. I also started flossing.

A couple days ago, I noticed in the upper right a similar pain as the upper left, and it only happened a few times and also happened with less pain. So I'm thinking the problem is not a single tooth issue, but some kind of systemic problem. In the morning recently, I've been having a running nose and squeezing.

I'm still taking the CoQ-10 containing titanium dioxide and soy lecithin for now.

Back
Top Bottom