DMSO - Dimethylsulphoxide

Something I discovered recently:

Mr. Scott's Magic Sunburn Cure :-[ --> :)

1. Run cold water on sunburn for several minutes (i.e. take cold shower/bath)
2. Apply aloe to sunburn (I like aloe gel, especially if it's been in the fridge!)
3. Wait 30 minutes
4. Apply more aloe
5. Wait 30 minutes
6. Apply very light coating of DMSO Rose Cream to sunburn, followed by plenty of aloe
7. Repeat aloe as needed

Obviously, don't try this if your skin doesn't react well to DMSO cream!
But, at least in my case, the DMSO cream really seems to reduce the redness and pain and promote very rapid healing.

Better yet, don't get too much sun... :whistle:

FWIW.

Funny you should mention that. I got sunburned about two weeks ago and was thinking about trying dmso gel but decided to wait as I didn't want to deal with any stinging/burning sensation. Maybe I'll try it and see if it helps with the subsequent peeling phase as well.

truth seeker said:
Funny you should mention that. I got sunburned about two weeks ago and was thinking about trying dmso gel but decided to wait as I didn't want to deal with any stinging/burning sensation. Maybe I'll try it and see if it helps with the subsequent peeling phase as well.

Well, for my skin, the DMSO gel is more harsh and burny sometimes.

But the rose-scented cream stuff is much more gentle. I love that stuff!

DMSO first came up for me as a potential vehicle for intravenous substances without the need for needles. Applied topically over a major vein or artery, DMSO will allow a wide array of drugs to enter the bloodstream.

This came up because I had attended a faith healing that made me highly suspicious. The minister was rubbing some oil on his hands and then placing them on the temples of the supplicants. After a few seconds, the supplicant would fall back and be caught by members of the congregation already in place. A few minutes later, they would either wake up, reporting feeling much better, or stay on the floor, laughing or crying uncontrollably.

Being naturally curious, I allowed the minister to do his thing to me. My knees grew weak and my vision swam, but I didn't give in. His response was to apply more oil to my temples. He also announced to the congregation that a demon was in me, and they circled around and wouldn't let me leave as the minister started babbling in tongues at me. I babbled back. It wasn't a pretty scene. But, I did eventually find a break in the circle and escape without losing consciousness.

I mentioned the experience to many people. There was no substance anyone knew of that could produce such drastic results when applied topically. But, there are a lot that can if they enter the bloodstream. So, the best theory I heard was that the oil contained a mixture of DMSO and some form of anesthetic.

Mr. Scott said:
Well, for my skin, the DMSO gel is more harsh and burny sometimes.

But the rose-scented cream stuff is much more gentle. I love that stuff!

Me too. The gel irritates my skin and stings when I apply it to small cuts/scrapes. My skin definitely prefers the cream.

After receiving great advice from forum members in another thread about a pulled calf muscle, I just obtained some DMSO. I mixed it 50/50 with distilled water. I put this in a plastic container. I know plastic should be avoided but it's all I have at the moment and I now have only three days to heal this muscle before running in an event on Sunday.

I am just about to apply it topically and I notice that the bottle feels warm. The DMSO and distilled water weren't pre-heated or anything like that. Is this okay. Has anyone else noticed this warming of the diluted DMSO. It's not going to blow the roof off is it :scared:

Be grateful for advice.

Thanks

Vic said:
After receiving great advice from forum members in another thread about a pulled calf muscle, I just obtained some DMSO. I mixed it 50/50 with distilled water. I put this in a plastic container. I know plastic should be avoided but it's all I have at the moment and I now have only three days to heal this muscle before running in an event on Sunday.

I am just about to apply it topically and I notice that the bottle feels warm. The DMSO and distilled water weren't pre-heated or anything like that. Is this okay. Has anyone else noticed this warming of the diluted DMSO. It's not going to blow the roof off is it :scared:

Be grateful for advice.

Thanks

Yeah, that is what DMSO does. Warning, used as a liquid solution, you are bound to feel some burning and perhaps get a mild rash. These are side effects that are transitory. You should have used a boiled water bottle. Better to err on the safe side when it comes to DMSO. I know some solutions comes in plastic anyway, but it does help to be as safe as possible.

DMSO works very well in inflammatory conditions, and the sooner it is applied (i.e. on a strained muscle) the better.

Brilliant, Psyche. Just what I was hoping to hear. I'll put some on now. Thanks.

Re: DMSO?

My husband uses DMSO and has read a lot on it. It is wood alcohol. It is used in veterinary clinics and in some countries as a vasodilator and anti-inflammatory. And is the only substance that can pass through the blood brain barrier. It carries anything that is mixed with it into the bloodstream and into the cells. This is kind of a rudimentary explanation, he mixes sports supplements and applies it on the muscles he trains that day. Hope this helps.

There are several threads on this subject here on the forum:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,17014.0.html

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,31862.msg427678.html#msg427678

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,25063.0.html

...Just to name a few...

Also, I recommend Dr Morton Walker's book, DMSO Nature's Healer

http://www.amazon.com/DMSO-Natures-Healer-Morton-Walker/dp/0895295482/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404530999&sr=1-1&keywords=morton+walker

Ask-Seek-Knock said:
My husband uses DMSO and has read a lot on it. It is wood alcohol.
Wood alcohol is another name for methanol, a poison for humans.
It is used in veterinary clinics and in some countries as a vasodilator and anti-inflammatory.
No doubt. DMSO is really a wonderful healer.
And is the only substance that can pass through the blood brain barrier.
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) crosses the blood brain barrier. That is how it can cause drowsiness. Obviously, psychotropic drugs get to the brain. And there are probably many more that I don't know.
It carries anything that is mixed with it into the bloodstream and into the cells.
Not "anything", but many things. Molecular size seems to be a factor. It seems that DMSO helps cells function better by speeding up the natural process, like getting nutrients into cells and waste out faster. I have found that a mix of DMSO and aloe vera works wonders as a healing gel.

Ask-Seek-Knock said:
My husband uses DMSO and has read a lot on it. It is wood alcohol. It is used in veterinary clinics and in some countries as a vasodilator and anti-inflammatory. And is the only substance that can pass through the blood brain barrier. It carries anything that is mixed with it into the bloodstream and into the cells. This is kind of a rudimentary explanation, he mixes sports supplements and applies it on the muscles he trains that day. Hope this helps.

Sorry for chiming in here, but your post made me feel just a little concerned. I really don't want to offend you here, but as curious_richard pointed out above, there are a few points you stated that are totally off. If that is what you came up with after your husband read a lot on it, your post encouraged me to finally buy a book on it and read it, as these rudimentary explanations seem dangerously factoidal, sorry.

DMSO is a byproduct of wood pulp. See link and info below.

http://healyourselfathome.com/HOW/THERAPIES/DMSO-MSM/DMSO_MAIN.aspx

Pulled from link above:
DMSO is a 100% natural, organic substance - a byproduct of the lumber industry with a slight smell of garlic.

- DMSO is a byproduct of kraft pulping (the “sulfate process” for manufacturing wood pulp, consisting mostly of cellulose fibers) in the production of paper - Wood chips are treated with a mixture of sodium hydroxide and sodium sulfide to break the bonds between cellulose and lignin, the natural material that bonds tree cells together.

My husband is a competitive bodybuilder and has been using DMSO for about 13 years. Some bodybuilders use it to deliver steroids into their bloodstream in lieu of injections. Others use it to relieve sore muscles. A friend of mine used it on her lower back when her shingles flared up and she said it was a miracle drug. It has multiple uses a quick internet search will tell you that and we are happy to see it catching on in the US.

I checked the FDA site and at present, the only human use for which DMSO has been approved is for interstitial cystitis, a bladder condition. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_169.html

My husband said it carries "anything" into the bloodstream because it could be dangerous for people that haven't researched it much. If mixed with something lethal it could kill you. He always makes sure to tell someone that when they ask him about it. He also lends a copy of his book out to anyone wanting more info on it. Our copy is currently with someone from the gym so I can't reference it right now.

Oh and it really does make you stink!!! Can't stress it enough!!! I hate when my husband uses it. A friend of ours is a dog handler in the military and used it before work one day and when he started sweating during a training activity the other soldiers said he smelled like beets. LOL! Just a side note. Do not use it before a date. :)

curious_richard said:
Ask-Seek-Knock said:
My husband uses DMSO and has read a lot on it. It is wood alcohol.
Wood alcohol is another name for methanol, a poison for humans.

It is not wood alcohol, which is methanol.

DMSO- Dimethyl sulfoxide
It has methyl groups, but not methanol.

Example: Ethanol is grain alcohol, the toxic antifreeze is called ETHylene glycol.
Ethanol isn't poisonous like antifreeze, but it has ethyl groups in it.

Edit=Quote

Good evening everyone.

Does anyone know how someone can get DMSO via an iv solution.
I would like to purchase this for my mother.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom