DMSO - Dimethylsulphoxide

davey72 said:
I aquired a half bottle of dmso from my neighbor yesterday and am amazed at how effective it is. Last night was the first in awhile i havent woken up at night in extreme pain fron carpal tunnel syndrome. I am concerned though that it is in a plastic bottle. Will this not transfer the properties of the bottle?

Yes. DMSO in a plastic bottle is a concern seeing that it is a solvent. Though for me, it's not too big of a concern to keep me from using it. I've never heard of anyone having any ill effects from using the plastic bottled DMSO. I'm sure that there are some DMSO 'purists' out there, however.

One solution for you from this point forward, now that you see how well it works, is to get it in a glass bottle. But, then again, one never knows if the bottler received their DMSO stock in a plastic container and just transferred it to glass for sales purposes. If DMSO in glass is too cost prohibitive for you (and I'm not sure of the price difference) you can always transfer the DMSO you buy in a plastic bottle into a glass bottle once you get it home. That way you can at least limit the amount of plastic properties in your DMSO.

Odyssey said:
davey72 said:
I aquired a half bottle of dmso from my neighbor yesterday and am amazed at how effective it is. Last night was the first in awhile i havent woken up at night in extreme pain fron carpal tunnel syndrome. I am concerned though that it is in a plastic bottle. Will this not transfer the properties of the bottle?

Yes. DMSO in a plastic bottle is a concern seeing that it is a solvent. Though for me, it's not too big of a concern to keep me from using it. I've never heard of anyone having any ill effects from using the plastic bottled DMSO. I'm sure that there are some DMSO 'purists' out there, however.

One solution for you from this point forward, now that you see how well it works, is to get it in a glass bottle. But, then again, one never knows if the bottler received their DMSO stock in a plastic container and just transferred it to glass for sales purposes. If DMSO in glass is too cost prohibitive for you (and I'm not sure of the price difference) you can always transfer the DMSO you buy in a plastic bottle into a glass bottle once you get it home. That way you can at least limit the amount of plastic properties in your DMSO.

I've had this concern too. I found a website with a chart on the plastic types that are compatible (non-reactive) with DMSO. Here's the link. Hope it helps.

http://healyourselfathome.com/HOW/THERAPIES/DMSO-MSM/DMSO_compatibility_chart.aspx

I mentioned this in the vitamin c thread. DMSO can be used to carry beneficial molecules transdermally. Apparently one can even take a dmso and vit c mixture orally to help bypass the stomach. Sounds a little like liposomal. I was yrying to fond some links but they all talk about illicit drugs or make unverifiable claims. What i got was that it can be used to carry vitamins transdermally though.

Re: DMSO?

curious_richard said:
... I have found that a mix of DMSO and aloe vera works wonders as a healing gel.

I too would like to dilute DMSO with Aloe Vera instead of distilled water.
I have bought some Aloe Vera (made by Aloe Pura), but it is a topical product (not a drinking juice) which contains some other ingredients:

Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer,
Panthynol (Pro Vitamin B5),
Disodium EDTA,
Sodium Hydroxide,
Phenoxyethanol,
Potassium Sorbate,
Benzoic Acid

It claims to contain "99.9% Natural Actives: Bio Active Aloe Vera"

Q: Baring in mind the DMSO will take whatever it is mixed with, through the skin and into the bloodstream, do you think it is safe to mix with DMSO? ... or should I but some of the Aloe Vera drinking juice to mix with it instead?

I believe that the drinking juice only contains one other ingredient, which serves as a preservative.

Thank you for reading :)

Is there any way you can aquire an aloe vera plant? I heard though that they need to be like twenty years old before they become medicinal. Not sure if this is true.

davey72 said:
Is there any way you can aquire an aloe vera plant? I heard though that they need to be like twenty years old before they become medicinal. Not sure if this is true.

Many thanks for replying :)
An Aloe Vera plant? ... That could be a damn good idea!

At least when you extract the inner leaf gel, you know exactly what's inside it.

Regarding my question about the Aloe Vera "topical" gel, someone on another forum has just told me not to use it with DMSO.
They said that 'Benzoic acid' in the presence of 'vitamin C' is carcinogenic!

I am now wondering if the Aloe Vera drinking juice might be an option. But even this stuff contains a tiny amount of substances that might not be suitable for sinking into the skin, DMSO-style.

The "Forever Living: Aloe Vera Gel" for drinking also includes:

Sorbitol,
Ascorbic Acid (Antioxidant),
Citric Acid,
Potassium Sorbate (to help protect flavor),
Sodium Benzoate (to help protect flavor),
Xanthan Gum,
Tocopherol (Antioxidant)

... do you know, is any of the above bad?

I would like to use the plant, but it wouldn't last long if I was applying it 2 or 3 times a day.
I'd end up needing a small plantation.

Toby39 said:
curious_richard said:
... I have found that a mix of DMSO and aloe vera works wonders as a healing gel.

I too would like to dilute DMSO with Aloe Vera instead of distilled water.
I have bought some Aloe Vera (made by Aloe Pura), but it is a topical product (not a drinking juice) which contains some other ingredients:

Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer,
Panthynol (Pro Vitamin B5),
Disodium EDTA,
Sodium Hydroxide,
Phenoxyethanol,
Potassium Sorbate,
Benzoic Acid

It claims to contain "99.9% Natural Actives: Bio Active Aloe Vera"

Q: Baring in mind the DMSO will take whatever it is mixed with, through the skin and into the bloodstream, do you think it is safe to mix with DMSO? ... or should I but some of the Aloe Vera drinking juice to mix with it instead?

I believe that the drinking juice only contains one other ingredient, which serves as a preservative.

Thank you for reading :)

Hi Toby36

Seeing as this is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you would post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's book, etc. There are some introductions in that section to give you an idea. Welcome to the Forum! :)

Actually you would be surprised at how long a really big aloe plant would last. I think it is a very small amount that is needed per application. When i had one i would cut a small piece and wrap it and keep it in the fridge. Lasted a long time.
As fpr those ingredients most are not very good for you. You can get a better idea by doing a search in the diet and health section.

davey72 said:

It's fairly easy to buy a aloe vera plant in the US. They sell them in stores such as Home Depot or Lowes in their potted plant section. And, no, they don't have to be 20 years old to be beneficial. The problem with the small plants is that you would use one up if used even a small amount of time.

I had one that grew to a quite large size in 4 or 5 years or so. It was almost miraculous when used for burns/scalds and the injury healed really quickly and without a scar. I found that because the gel is so slippery, I would just slice the leaf open and apply it with the gel facing down on the burn/scald with the outer skin still attached on the back and that kept the gel in place. I would only cut off what was needed for the injury and the leaf would seal itself at the cut.

Nienna said:
I had one that grew to a quite large size in 4 or 5 years or so. It was almost miraculous when used for burns/scalds and the injury healed really quickly and without a scar. I found that because the gel is so slippery, I would just slice the leaf open and apply it with the gel facing down on the burn/scald with the outer skin still attached on the back and that kept the gel in place. I would only cut off what was needed for the injury and the leaf would seal itself at the cut.

I've been growing aloe for several years now, and have had the same experience as Nienna (with both burns and cuts/scrapes) -- aloe does a really nice job in helping surface wounds to heal. The plants reproduce fairly quickly too, so once you get a few started (best to do this inside if you have freezing temps during the winter) you should have a continuous supply and may even be able to give some away eventually.

Lilou said:
Welcome to the forum, SunEterna. We ask all new members to post a short introduction in the Newbies Section telling us how you found the forum and if you've read any of the books we discuss here.

As for DMSO, I don't recommend taking it internally! If you have some inflammation in your lower back, the best way to use the DMSO would be to dilute it to a 70% solution with DISTILLED water and apply it topically. (7 parts DMSO, 3 parts distilled water). It is rapidly absorbed thru the skin into the blood stream, and you will have a taste of it in your mouth shortly after. But I do advise you to NOT drink anymore.

I have in the past, always purchased my DMSO in glass, however there was a discussion about it here on the forum, and what most sellers are doing, is buying the bulk DMSO in plastic, then repackaging it in glass. What I personally do, is purchase in plastic and as soon as it arrives, transfer it to glass. I have only once had a DMSO solution that had a funny smell to it, so I tossed it out. Otherwise, I have not had any problems with it. Of course I would prefer that it was always stored in glass, but I have not found a source that will confirm this is the case.

Okay, thank you!

BEWARE!
I tried testing an order from a site _http://www.dimethylsulfoxide.co.uk/

Looks like it is a scam as I received no DMSO since ordering March 27th, but my credit card was charged just over 30€, and no response when calling them or emailing them.

Does anybody know of any other more credible sources of DMSO in Europe?

Jeff

Jefferson said:
BEWARE!
I tried testing an order from a site _http://www.dimethylsulfoxide.co.uk/

Looks like it is a scam as I received no DMSO since ordering March 27th, but my credit card was charged just over 30€, and no response when calling them or emailing them.

Jeff
I ordered my DMSO from this site last week and it arrived within a couple of days.
Perhaps try tweeting them in case your email got missed?

Jefferson said:

Jeff

I was told today about this source on my blog:

_http://www.tifoo.de/search?sSearch=DMSO

The correspondent was actually inquiring about the irradiating heat. That means it is pure DMSO.

Back
Top Bottom