Éiriú-Eolas - Breathing Program

Iconoclast said:
yeah, i know.
while i'm a very emotionally stable person, i am sometimes wondering if i'm not repressing something i'm unaware of - so i figure it should sooner or later come to the surface with this excellent program.

we'll see...
if i do it 10 times and still nothing, i'll have to re-think - maybe everything IS hunky dory? ;-)
Haha maybe. Also interesting is why you want to change ''I'' to ''We'', why would you want to do that?

well, it would seem like it would give a better sense of 'community' - 'we' gives a less isolated feeling... (which as many here know is sometimes rather acute with our specialized area of interest) ;)

'we' makes you feel like part of a force/network to be reckoned with...
(this sounds more aggressive than i mean it to be)

Iconoclast said:
AND - so far i haven't had any emotional 'episode' during or after the program. :(

I haven't had any "episodes" during the program either, but I have noticed a great deal of "extra" powerful emotional energy in my life in the last few weeks, so be on the lookout for everything from extreme crankiness to random bouts of laughter (that one almost made me cry).

I realized that I had been "squeezing" the back of my throat during Beatha breath on the inhale as in pipe breath, which was probably why my nose was feeling cold. By concentrating on pulling the breath from my throat, as was suggested the other day, the cold feeling went away.

I did experience some heat in my chest yesterday during the prayer of the soul meditation. It was the first time I did the whole program in the middle of the day, rather than doing it just before bedtime. I had a feeling of space afterwards, as if I was looking down on myself from a vast height almost, and sounds and colors were very vivid. What I noticed most especially was that my rate of mental chatter diminished steadily over the course of the practice.

One thing I thought of during the meditation and wanted to share was the effect of eye position or the direction of your gaze on mental chatter, during meditation. I can't find a good website reference for this right now, but I heard a meditation instructor once say that you should hold your gaze downwards, at about the angle of you nose, in order to reduce mental chatter, or if you am falling asleep you should raise your gaze upwards, towards the ceiling, to increase mental energy. It might be autosuggestion, but this technique usually works for me, unless I am physically exhausted (sleepy) or wound up from a lack of physical exercise (too much chatter). FWIW

Seamas

Laura said:
This is Monday... and I think it should be the first Monday where we all try to practice in the evening on the same day - the whole program! It doesn't matter what time "evening" is where you are, all that matters is that you do it on Monday with everyone else.

I have done it yesterday as well, and I did it the last time on Thursday and so I have been really looking forward to in doing it again. I kind of missed the whole program.
The meditation went very well and I cannot describe it better than it has been relaxing and was very releasing emotionally. Sometimes it happens to me, when I only think about the beatha-part that I get into a mood of releasing crap I don't need anymore, like if I could the next moment start to cry.
Well, I will do it now more often again, because there seems really a need for it in releasing old stuff.

Be that as it may, today happened something strange to me. I did a nap about 1-1.5 hours, because I need much more sleep over the day now. I woke up because I heard my mobile vibrating, stood up and read the message (the message was already opened and readable on the display), something like: "If I'm tomorrow with them (good friends) for a meeting". Nevertheless I didn't know what the writer of the message has been meaning, because as I saw them on the weekend we didn't talk about a meeting during the week. So I wondered, also a little bit sleep drunken around what could it be and rechecked the message. Yet there has been no message anymore… So I kept even wondering a little bit more, did I delete it?, but how? (because several buttons have to be pressed)…
I decided to write an email back and ask what's up with the meeting. Still I got slowly the impression, did I really receive a message?
Well in the end the person didn't write me anything and asked me: "what message?"

I don't if it had simply something to do because I just woke up (not fresh in mind etc.), in kind of a dreaming state etc., but the whole scenario just felt strange.

Iconoclast said:
AND - so far i haven't had any emotional 'episode' during or after the program. :(

Same here for last night's program except for an intense body sensation and in the end, I was more in a relaxed state, which made it easier for me to go to sleep. But then, I've experienced a rather vivid dream where, in the dream, at night, I saw a plane "land" or something like it hovers above the ocean nearby, then a small craft came out of it and took off into the sky. And, the "leftovers" of the plane "crash" into the ocean, creating a wall of water rising towards the shops on the nearby pier. I ran toward it and yelling to everyone there to leave and said that there was a place crash and "y'all got to leave." They didn't flinch, and I've noticed the water is rising. The shop below (one of those places where you can go to eat underwater with a strong glass holding back the water - I've never been to one of those places, but have heard about them) and I've noticed a danger to the people down there. There was no entry (wondering how people ever got down there or leave), so I climbed through the sewer to the "door" to the shop, and told everyone to leave (they have noticed the water, but confused as to what to do). And, they began to walk out, one by one, as the water inside was rising fast. As the last person left, I've try to make it out myself but the water was too great and got stuck and couldn't get out. That's when the dream ended.

Also, yesterday, some hours before I did the whole program, I had a strong urge to take a couple of hours nap, which is odd as I rarely take naps, but so I did, and then I kept hearing alot of "drums" in my head while napping. That was a bit odd, at least to me.

fwiw

Sky said:
Also, yesterday, some hours before I did the whole program, I had a strong urge to take a couple of hours nap, which is odd as I rarely take naps, but so I did, and then I kept hearing alot of "drums" in my head while napping. That was a bit odd, at least to me.

I also had an experience of hearing "drums" or a fast rhythm during the Beatha portion of the program.

I did the breathing program last night and one thing that I perceived for the last few session, but more intensely last night, was a kind of pulsation in between the eyebrows. It is difficult to describe, it is like feeling your heart pulse, a soft energy like pulsation in the for head.

but I heard a meditation instructor once say that you should hold your gaze downwards, at about the angle of you nose,

Funny because when I'm meditating my gaze is downward at the angle of my nose and I always have the impression to see my nose even if my eye are close.

Yesterday I was unable to do the full program during the evening, so I did it in the afternoon...
I hope that counts in any way.

:-[

As for the program, it's truly awesome. I feel very energized, focused and in a very good mood after each meditation.
There was no emotional "episode" yet, but that probably happens after a much longer practice anyway...

I'd like to let you know of my experiences ... and add a question at the end.

Haven't had any major "emotional" releases yet ... just some "waves" during the BE breathing. Kind of heart to describe, but it's like when you watch a sad movie and are overcome by emotion, even though there were no strong emotions involved ... don't know if that makes any sense.

Also struggled a bit sitting crosslegged on the floor for the duration, but have fixed it with sitting on a thick cushion. I'd really like to be able to sit on the floor like that for the entire time feeling comfortable ... so decided that I would accept a little bit of discomfort, which has been steadily improving as I repeat the session.

I sometimes struggle with the BE breathing and I am really happy to reach the end, because my favourite is the meditative portion. I feel very relaxed afterwards and have weird pictures floating around in the dark.

The other day when sleeping in a communal room (thus unable to do the whole breathing exercise) I tried to do the "Prayer of the Soul" by myself - and I REALLY STRUGGLED!

I don't think that I managed to finish the prayer more than once without loosing the thread - often I "zoned out" and didn't remember where I had drifted off. I tried real hard to concentrate on the sequence of the verses, but to no avail ...

Has anyone had a similar experience? It is kind of frustrating - I am normally quite able to focus, but in this respect I fail abysmally ...

Kresnik said:
GotoGo said:
Hello Shar,
Just in case you are struggling with such settings, here is a procedure to reach time setting page.
1. You go to your "Profile" page from the top bar (that starts with "Home", "Help"...)
2. On the left side you see the navigation that has 2 layers.
3. The 2nd one is titled "Modify Profile".
4. Click "Look and Layout Preferences" in this categoly.
5. Then you see the "Time Offset:" column.
If you adjust the number in that column you will see all the time output will immediately change (except text in comments). If you play with the number considering your local time zone, you will get a right setting. :)

It turns out the forum time was not synchronized to the server time. The forum time was set to one hour earlier than the actual server time, which was set properly. :huh:

As far as I can tell, it appears that the forum software contains a bug that hasn't been fixed yet. It should just grab the time off the server, et voila. But it doesn't. For some reason, it performs some silly calculation that screws up the forum time. So, I manually added an offset.

The bad news is that this means it's entirely possible that many people will have to perform the above steps to fix their time offset. I don't know how long it's been screwed up, but my account's Time Offset was one hour higher than it should have been, and I don't remember the last time I checked it!

The good news is that if you click the "(auto detect)" link next to the Time Offset box, it should work okay. And when daylight savings time changes again, I'll check and make sure it doesn't require another tweak.

Update:
It's a very, very stupid bug. :headbash: There's a setting in the database that can't be edited from the forum software itself. And it doesn't take DST into account. Fortunately, it's fixed now and should automatically work nicely even with DST changes.
(BOLD is for a reminder since many people might need to reset the setting. I wonder how others in other threads can know about it though... :rolleyes:)

Kresnik, thank you for the fix! :)
I changed my setting 1 hour lower (10 to 9 to see French time from CA time zone) this morning.
So the server is in the same zone as my time zone (PDT)!
"It's a very, very stupid bug. :headbash:" oh, I know exactly what you feel. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Woah, what a night!. After the meditation I slept as a rock, but then a super thunderstorm began to strike here and kept me awake for.. a lot of hours. Woke up very late, sure it was 9 am (it was 12:30 am!).

It was my first whole meditation session now that I'm on holidays. There was an attempt or two to 'zone out', but it passed by quickly, maybe loosing a few phrases out of the soul's prayer.

Now the forum time. I've clicked on 'auto detect' and number 9 appeared. Should be ok for Southern Europe?

Iconoclast wrote
also - i thought about modifying the prayer of the soul from *I* to *WE*
Oxajil wrote
Haha maybe. Also interesting is why you want to change ''I'' to ''We'', why would you want to do that?
Iconoclast replied
well, it would seem like it would give a better sense of 'community' - 'we' gives a less isolated feeling... (which as many here know is sometimes rather acute with our specialized area of interest)

'we' makes you feel like part of a force/network to be reckoned with...
(this sounds more aggressive than i mean it to be)

Perhaps you have missed or forgotten some of the earlier discussion about changing the prayer to suit oneself. It might be good to remember that the only person "we" are able to change in any way IS our self!

It may be that you (or some part of you which you are not aware of) are actually 'resisting' these changes which can take place with the application of the breathing and meditation program EXACTLY as has been specified. So, the question becomes do you want to change "we" or "I"?

'Changing' others is quite obviously a violation of their free-will.
'Changing' ourselves is what we are apparently here to do.

It should also be noted that there are many testimonials from forum members as to profound effects occurring while doing this program and even afterwards.
Why would you then feel there is any need to alter it in any way?

nicklebleu said:
The other day when sleeping in a communal room (thus unable to do the whole breathing exercise) I tried to do the "Prayer of the Soul" by myself - and I REALLY STRUGGLED!

I don't think that I managed to finish the prayer more than once without loosing the thread - often I "zoned out" and didn't remember where I had drifted off. I tried real hard to concentrate on the sequence of the verses, but to no avail ...

Has anyone had a similar experience? It is kind of frustrating - I am normally quite able to focus, but in this respect I fail abysmally ...

I've been experiencing this as well. It normally doesn't take me a long time to fall asleep at night even if I'm not dead tired. When I do the prayer -- or I should say when I attempt to do the prayer -- I can hardly make it through the first recitation before I'm drifting off or feel myself beginning to dream. This has happened when I say the prayer in my head and when I listen to Laura say it. Even during the day when I do the meditation followed by the prayer I start zoning out during the first recitation. Yesterday when I did it it was a real struggle to keep myself from drifting off. I remember making it to the end but I wasn't "there" the whole time.

I've also noticed that I seem to keep seeing things out of the corner of my eye since begining this program. Sometimes I mistake it for a person or an object but there's nothing there.

Yesterday evening I did the complete E-E program as usual. Things felt different yesterday; there was a feeling as of Eiriu-Eolas leading me to, or opening me to, a great, deep and strong river or current - a feeling of something strong and supportive. It felt to me slightly threatening, or perhaps I should say impersonal and therefore threatening to the narcissistic mind. But it was within me and therefore personal as well! It’s rather difficult to capture the essence of the experience in words.

nicklebleu said:

Same here. I love the Prayer of the Soul. I get into bed for the meditative portion of Eiriu-Eolas and I usually fall asleep to it. But like you nicklebleu, I find that if try to do it without Laura’s voice, I lose the thread after two or three lines. I really want to do it but find myself zoning out. And this has increased the more that I do the prayer.

I find that as soon as I start with the first line – O Divine Cosmic Mind – my breathing immediately becomes deep and slow. Although I like to lie down when working with the prayer, it is easier to keep my focus I do it sitting. The prayer seems to create a space in my mind, a feeling of being deeper inside myself, if that makes sense.

I don’t have any great emotional or other experiences during the program, all such experiences are happening at other times. I don’t get any tingling during the bioenergetic breathing, although I do zone out a lot in that portion. I don’t know where I go when I zone out, but I tend to snap back with a slight feeling of panic.

I wonder, though, if the zoning out is something to do with childhood dissociation. I have very very few memories of my childhood, certainly nothing like the sense of a lived childhood. According to Martha Stout this is caused by dissociation as a child, and this dissociation was my way of surviving the narcissistic family in which I grew up. This means that my real feeling self, which was denied as a child and cannot now be remembered, is relegated to some currently inaccessible part of my psyche, and gives rise to various programs, compulsive reactions and so on. So, my idea is that when I am zoning out, I am ‘dissociating’ from my normal day-to-day consciousness, but re-entering that original childhood world of feeling which to my adult self is dark, unknown and very difficult to perceive. Consequently as an adult, this is experienced as ‘going away’, and only becoming aware of zoning out when I return.

This is a working hypothesis at present and may be wide of the mark. I came to this idea while I was considering my inability to remember my childhood and where those memories went. Although I dissociated for the greater part of my childhood, the dissociated state was still a part of me, and so those memories should be stored somewhere in my psyche, osit. I think that the key to re-integrating myself is to somehow gain access to those walled-off memories, and I’m hoping Eiriu-Eolas is that key. It certainly seems to be so far!

Seamas said:
Iconoclast said:

Freelancer said:
There was no emotional "episode" yet, but that probably happens after a much longer practice anyway...

Oxajil said:
if i do it 10 times and still nothing, i'll have to re-think - maybe everything IS hunky dory? ;-)

I personally think it is important not to try and force the issue with expectations. Just let the vagus nerve do what it will do and stay focussed on the Work of gathering knowledge and letting learning be fun!

nicklebleu said:

I think it's important to get enough rest and if a person finds themself going to sleep or drifting off, it might be more beneficial to re-interpret the experience as a refreshing interlude instead of a frustrating one. The key is just to keep doing it.

It seems to me that the more I practice, the more automatic certain movements become, because some motions are getting seated in the moving center. My attention will tend to wander more often, but now that I'm aware of this, I can practice focusing my attention to keep myself as present as I possibly can. I am really enjoying this!

Back
Top Bottom