Éiriú-Eolas - Breathing Program

First time through the EE program. Dig it. Simple. Effective. Definitely will add it to my repertoire as a regular practice. I particularly like the glottis constriction as an improvement on breathing techniques I already use.

I must admit I was reluctant to trying a re-invented wheel. After all, the various practices in the program have been around a long, long time, and I've done them all in one setting or another, so why all the fuss? Why the need to re-brand asana, pranayama, dharana, dhyan (Sanskrit terms, four of the eight yogas from Patanjali's eight-fold path, physical exercise, breathing exercise, concentration/contemplation, meditation) into Irish Celtic stock? Well, who cares? It's a good program. And I like that it's all rolled up into an easy-to-follow approach to these time-tested and proven techniques. With this I might finally be able to get my family to join with me in doing this kind of work.

For those with experience in the yoga, pranayama and meditation (dharana/dhyan), you will not be disappointed. If you are like me and can get a bit frustrated with the over-abundance of various yogic techniques, then EE might suit you well.

Thanks for the program!

I'm a newbie when it comes to EE, but knowledge of the effect of deliberate, meditative breathing comes quite naturally to me. The more I delve into this site, the more I remember events in my past which seem to support many of the ideas presented here. For example, when I was 8 and in grade three I recall the beginning of the year when all the students in the class were asked to give an introduction about themselves. One of my classmates described their father as being a doctor whose specialty focused on teaching the effectiveness of controlled breathing as a method by which his patients could achieve optimal health. While reading this thread, the memory jumped out at me from my subconscious. I think there were many events in my past in which lessons were given, but I didn't have the knowledge to 'see.'

Also, I'm an arborist, so I often find myself in high risk situations, whether it be that I'm working on a tree hanging over a power line or a glass sun room or in a tree with clear structural defects. I have been practicing a method of controlled breathing which keeps my anxiety down in those situations for as long as I have been climbing. I count to six while inhaling, hold it and count to six, exhale while counting to six and then hold it while counting to six as well. This little trick has worked wonders for me, and trust me when I say I've been in some scenarios where I needed it!

It seems EE will have a much different effect if I can build the discipline to make it a regular part of my life, so thanks for the program!

Even after trying many suggestions provided about how to avoid falling asleep during EE, I'm still falling asleep 99% of the time, the only reason I never fell asleep the other night is because my arms where in an uncomfortable position and I knew I had to be somewhere soon.

Before I fall asleep, I enter a kind of 'nothing' state, no thoughts, feelings or anything. I'm hoping that's the subconscious depths! It's rather scary, although I don't realize until after I've woken up.

Also wondering how to project efficiently during warriors breath, I'm not sure if it's because I'm female and only have friends here with whom I do EE with and they're all male, and they all sound really loud when saying "ha!".. then there's my little flimsy "ha"

Have you tried sitting up for all but the meditation? That should help with staying awake.

Heimdallr said:
Have you tried sitting up for all but the meditation? That should help with staying awake.

This is an excellent suggestion, I would like to add that you can sit against a wall, with a small cushion under your seat and a small cushion against the wall to support the shoulders and practice the meditation sitting up, keeping your eyes open if that helps. Waves of sleepiness may come over you, seated upright, with eyes open, you can catch yourself drifting off :zzz:

From my own experience and teaching EE to others in a class environment, falling asleep is pretty normal, after doing the full program the body is in a super restful state, a state most of us don't experience regularly :scared:

Keep practicing EE regularly and you will notice small changes as you get more comfortable, some days may be a challenge, where you feel tired and have to consciously struggle to stay awake, other days you may feel surges of energy and may have a hard time sitting still. This is why meditation is called a practice, it is an ongoing learning experience ;D

When I first started the program whenever it came time to do the Baha I couldn't sit still, I would literally pace back and forth across the room, my body refused to relax. :-[ After about six months of regular practice the pacing stopped, now I am able to do the Baha seated or lying down without the intense urge to move around.

lilyalic said:
Also wondering how to project efficiently during warriors breath, I'm not sure if it's because I'm female and only have friends here with whom I do EE with and they're all male, and they all sound really loud when saying "ha!".. then there's my little flimsy "ha"

Funny you mention this because I practice EE with my husband and he is very vocal during the Ha breath, I too feel that my Ha's can be a bit flimsy, each time we practice I make a point to really use any frustrations I am experiencing to give my Ha more voice. Like Laura says in the video 'imagine you are a warrior preparing for battle' and use that image to project your determination in your Ha it really is quite cathartic ;D

Hope this helps, and keep practicing :thup:

Heimdallr said:

I mostly practice the BaHa breathing sat up, and still end up falling asleep.

'Awapuhi said:
I would like to add that you can sit against a wall, with a small cushion under your seat and a small cushion against the wall to support the shoulders and practice the meditation sitting up, keeping your eyes open if that helps. Waves of sleepiness may come over you, seated upright, with eyes open, you can catch yourself drifting off :zzz:

Keeping the eyes open may be a good idea! Or maybe part of fighting the falling asleep will be useful as there are points when I wake up slightly and can hear Baha and try and get back on track, then realise I'm drifting back into nothing again, it really is a fight :)

lilyalic said:

'Awapuhi said:
Funny you mention this because I practice EE with my husband and he is very vocal during the Ha breath, I too feel that my Ha's can be a bit flimsy, each time we practice I make a point to really use any frustrations I am experiencing to give my Ha more voice. Like Laura says in the video 'imagine you are a warrior preparing for battle' and use that image to project your determination in your Ha it really is quite cathartic ;D

Hope this helps, and keep practicing :thup:

Yeah, I need to keep the "warrior preparing for a battle" in mind!
Thank you!

lilyalic said:
Even after trying many suggestions provided about how to avoid falling asleep during EE, I'm still falling asleep 99% of the time, the only reason I never fell asleep the other night is because my arms where in an uncomfortable position and I knew I had to be somewhere soon.

In addition to what others said, I think that if you can get through the three stage breathing at least, that's great already. Sometimes I only do the three stage breathing and meditation before going to bed, and when I do the full program, I do it in the morning or afternoon. That usually works for me!

lilyalic said:

Before I fall asleep, I enter a kind of 'nothing' state, no thoughts, feelings or anything. I'm hoping that's the subconscious depths! It's rather scary, although I don't realize until after I've woken up.
Hey lilyalic,

I agree with the other advice and just wanted to add that yes, many people (including myself) have reported a kind of "zoning out" that happens at different points during ee. This may a time of emotional processing for you - sort of like how sleep is restorative and so may be perfectly normal at this time for you. Just keep going little by little and I'm sure you'll get there. :)

truth seeker said:
lilyalic said:

Hey lilyalic,

I agree with the other advice and just wanted to add that yes, many people (including myself) have reported a kind of "zoning out" that happens at different points during ee. This may a time of emotional processing for you - sort of like how sleep is restorative and so may be perfectly normal at this time for you. Just keep going little by little and I'm sure you'll get there. :)

I agree with other's suggestions, too. Zoning is what occurred to me as I read your post. There is a discussion on it under question #12, #20 and other parts of the EE Guide here. It's fairly normal. And even if you are actually falling asleep, it doesn't mean that you aren't benefiting from the program. :)

Menrva said:
I agree with other's suggestions, too. Zoning is what occurred to me as I read your post. There is a discussion on it under question #12, #20 and other parts of the EE Guide here. It's fairly normal. And even if you are actually falling asleep, it doesn't mean that you aren't benefiting from the program. :)

Forgive me for not taking the initiative to look up on the guide/FAQ, those questions and answers were extremely useful! I was beginning to think EE was just sending me into noone sort of, :lol: but the zoning out is exactly what it is.
Thank you for inserting the link here. :)

truth seeker said:
Hey lilyalic,

Thank you! I shall keep plodding along with the EE sessions, next one is tonight, see you all there ;) a little apprehensive now after reading some kind of emotional hurricane will come through eventually, should be an interesting ride, I certainly won't be anticipating it :lol:

Oxajil said:
In addition to what others said, I think that if you can get through the three stage breathing at least, that's great already. Sometimes I only do the three stage breathing and meditation before going to bed, and when I do the full program, I do it in the morning or afternoon. That usually works for me!

Good idea. Thank you for your suggestions. :)

Menrva said:

Last time I did EE I zoned out during The Prayer of the Soul. I kept struggling to pay attention and focus on breathing then fell asleep completely during the meditation.

Also, the guide is excellent! Thank you for the link. I had no idea it was there. It provides the guidance to get back on track and do it regularly. Also, knowing that certain pieces should be done more than others but meditation every night is very helpful. I plan on starting to do Monday and Thursday for the complete program starting today. :D :cool2:

So, I just got done doing just up to the meditation and, after reading the guide this morning, did the beatha portion calm and slow. It went much better than any other time previously. I think I was trying to force a whole breath of air into that shorter speed up period and it made it unnecessarily stressful and difficult. It was still difficult this time around but much more relaxed and calm, which made it easier to get through. Really glad I checked this thread today. :D Time for a smoke break! :cool2:

sToRmR1dR said:
I mostly practice the Pipe Breathing,but still not meditation.I quickly fall asleep :(

Something I've noticed with myself is that if I haven't gotten enough sleep on the days prior to doing the full program I'm just more likely to fall asleep during the program. So getting enough sleep in general is important. Also, you can plan to do EE a little earlier than usual so that you are not quite ready to konk out right in the middle of it. Or plan to do it in the afternoon sometimes when you feel more or less awake and alert.

On nights when you feel particularly tired, but would like to get something in there, you can do some pipe breathing - just enough to make you feel relaxed and not quite ready to sleep, so that you can be awake for the meditation.

Keep on keeping on. There is a little bit of a curve in doing the full program, like learning to do anything, and once you have a few of these pieces in place the whole thing will become much easier.

Ennio

Thank you for advice.I'll try little earlier as you suggested.Inside me I feel that this is not enough :(

Back
Top Bottom