EMF Exposure

According to these articles:

_http://www.badscience.net/2007/05/the-amazing-qlink-science-pedant/
_http://skepdic.com/qlink.html

There is only zero-Ohm resistor inside Q-link pendant. And it is not connected to copper coil, which seems to be just for esthetic only.

BUT, with the same logic, IF it works with one resistor, would the whole necklace (for example) made of resistors be better?

The question is stupid, but bear in mind that I have none knowledge on the mater.

Divide By Zero said:
beetlemaniac said:
DivideByZero, thanks for the explanation of power factor. As I have vaguely understood it, it's the phase difference between current and voltage sine waves. cos theta of the power triangle shows how much current lags/leads voltage.

Yeah, the whole trig part explains it mathematically, but it was hard to understand until I saw the waves.
I was trying to figure out how a watt meter measures real watts not VOLTxAMPS. It has a CT and a PT inside, but because they are read in sync, that multiplication in real time (integral) ends up giving you real watts! If sampled and multiplied over a time period of a wave cycle or more, it will give VA instead. Time is so critical!

Thanks again Divide By Zero, I read through your explanation again (apologies for my very short reply -- not commensurate to the energy you spent in your explanation). It makes a bit more sense now. I just don't see any integrals in my working -- I just thought of multiplying instantaneous volts and amps together. Whereas if you wanted to find out the apparent power, then you may need to integrate since it needs to be calculated over time. But if you did that, wouldn't you be calculating energy rather than power? Believe me DBZ, I don't use any calculus in my job -- I'm pretty weak at maths let alone Calculus! I don't think I fully understand what you mean by "integral".

monotonic said:
Read about 2nd order lowpass filters, as this most closely resembles what happens when you connect a capacitor across the line. The Romex are the L and R.

At lower frequencies, where the resistance of your appliances dominates over the resistance of the romex or anything else on the line, the Romex doesn't block filtering so much. The R value is highly variable and just depends on whatever the appliances are doing at the time.

You can also read about pi filters, if you want to try something more complex.

Thanks for the recommendation, monotonic. I will be looking into that.

monotonic said:
Cover it up with something, and then make a fake covered up pendant, and have someone select one for you to wear randomly?

I think that is not such a bad idea. Now with some distance from the time I first wore it, I can't discount the placebo effect. I seem to be a highly suggestible person, from my own observations anyway.

Also, I find now that I feel relieved upon taking it off after wearing for extended periods.

Divide By Zero said:
But how could we do a double blind test with that pendant?

Attached is Beverly Rubick's study of the pendant.

Attachments

• drrubik-srt-QLink.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Avala said:
According to these articles:

_http://www.badscience.net/2007/05/the-amazing-qlink-science-pedant/
_http://skepdic.com/qlink.html

There is only zero-Ohm resistor inside Q-link pendant. And it is not connected to copper coil, which seems to be just for esthetic only.

BUT, with the same logic, IF it works with one resistor, would the whole necklace (for example) made of resistors be better?

The question is stupid, but bear in mind that I have none knowledge on the mater.

Not a stupid question. Thanks for finding this!

Zero ohm resistor already makes me skeptical of it. Zero ohms means basically a wire which is 0.0001 ohm per foot or whatever the tables say. It means no resistance. Sounds like its a placebo thing.

If anything it does absorb some energy. A simple metal around a power wire will filter big frequency spikes.

Thanks again Divide By Zero, I read through your explanation again (apologies for my very short reply -- not commensurate to the energy you spent in your explanation). It makes a bit more sense now. I just don't see any integrals in my working -- I just thought of multiplying instantaneous volts and amps together. Whereas if you wanted to find out the apparent power, then you may need to integrate since it needs to be calculated over time. But if you did that, wouldn't you be calculating energy rather than power? Believe me DBZ, I don't use any calculus in my job -- I'm pretty weak at maths let alone Calculus! I don't think I fully understand what you mean by "integral".

Yeah, I might be mixing terms there in math. Basically integral of a function gives you the sum of the instantaneous values. So, from time 0 to time 1, you add up volts X amps for an average. If you do it over one whole sine wave ( 0 to + to - back to 0) is basically what gives you watts. Instantaneous gives you VA. I was never good at integrals either, esp when they dealt with multiple variables. It's useful though if you punch it into a calculator and get a "best estimate" - which is never perfect as doing it with symbols alone :)

Just passing along something of possible interest as I received a forward from one of the SM coalitions with mention of a new documentary (and i've not checked it out myself yet). Given that there is a time sensitive nature to viewing this documentary online, here is the links and preamble below:

A new award-winning documentary about the health effects of cell phone radiation available online for free for the next month! Please let friends and family know about this.

“Free Viewings of Mobilize: A Film about Cell Phone Radiation"

Mobilize is an investigative documentary that explores the long-term health effects of cell phone radiation, including cancer and infertility. This film won the award for full-length feature documentaries at the California Independent Film Festival.

Clear Light Ventures is sponsoring free viewings of Mobilize from May 21 to June 25, 2016. For instructions on how to stream the film for free:

http://www.clearlightventures.com/mobilize”

Thanks voyageur, looks good and I'm passing it along. Right now all these issues of emf and cell phone exposure are coming up for my family in a new more dynamic way. The dangers have been known for years but over time the risk is watered down and forgotten. Time to renew and broaden that knowledge. The image of the 5 year old brain being affected by cell phone radiation is shocking!

To make things worse and increase exposure to this type of massive radiation:

UE Commission issued the document "Benchmarking smart metering deployment in the EU-27 with a focus on electricity"

This report jointly prepared by the European Commission DG ENER and JRC measures progress on the deployment of smart meters across the EU. To date, Member States have committed to rolling out close to 200 million smart meters for electricity and 45 million for gas by 2020 at a total potential investment of €45 billion. By 2020, it is expected that almost 72% of European consumers will have a smart meter for electricity while 40% will have one for gas.

Directive 2012/27/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 October 2012 on energy efficiency, amending Directives 2009/125/EC and 2010/30/EU and repealing Directives 2004/8/EC and 2006/32/EC Text with EEA relevance

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1474051066814&uri=CELEX:32012L0027

Thousands of people have complained of tinnitus, headaches, nausea, sleeplessness, heart arrhythmia, and other symptoms after a ‘smart’ meter was installed. Wireless technology is a public health hazard. Smart meters can violate already high FCC limits on human exposure to microwave radiation, and are being installed even as people are developing “electro-sensitivity”. There are also reports of ‘smart’ meter interference with pacemakers and other implants.

Read more: http://stopsmartmeters.org/frequently-asked-questions/faq-health-issues/

Smart metering rollout map from: http://ses.jrc.ec.europa.eu/smart-metering-deployment-european-union
sgmap.jpg

Where I live, I am forced to pay extra so that smart meters are not installed. Of course, this extortion is better than having no choice and living with smart meters.

Hlat good choice, not just only for the EMF.

In some cases the smart meters even without time based billing (different rates on time), still end up costing more.

When it comes to calculating watts from volts (PT) and current (CT), the old mechanical meters are inherently accurate.
With electronics, sometimes the timing/phase angle can be wrong, so you pay more. Phase angle sets how much work is actually done. For example if you imagine a sine wave, you have up and down negative to positive, current also fluctuates a bit.
Ideal situation you have peak current at peak volts. So 220 x 30 amps, and thats 6600 watts.
But if angle is off, and you have power factor .50, it means at peak volts of 220, you use 15 amps, and at 110 volts, 30 amps and so on.
That ends up being 30 x 220 x 0.5= 3300 watts. It's the "area under the curve" as calculus teaches us.

So 2 examples for a mismatch with these electronic meters vs mechanical (magnetic/motor) meter.

Example, your load is 30 amps and 220v but with a power factor of .75.
Older magnetic/motor meter would register 30x220x0.75= 4950 watts

Newer meter if improperly calibrated could see a power factor of .85
It would register 30x220x0.85=5610 watts.

Some anectdotal evidence that electronic meters can be wrong:
A friend bought a kit to measure his power usage (idea is for the future to measure a sub panel when he plans to have tenants), it came with voltage taps and clamp on current transformers. He put it on his main. With my high end meter, we checked that it was properly reading amps and volts (within 1%).
After a week he compared with the meter and the kit was reading about 10% high!

Here is a good tip for those who want to reduce EMF exposure from DECT phone.

Low Radiation Eco Dect Digital Cordless Phones
http://lessradiation.co.uk/low-radiation-eco-dect-digital-cordless-phones/

A normal Dect phone’s Base Station emits a constant RF pulse 24/7. The newer Eco Dect phones are supposed to at least stop emitting RF when the Handset is docked in the Base. Good ones should also reduce their power output when closer to the base station, in the same way regular mobiles do.

If you spend hours sat in front of a PC with your Dect phone in its cradle two feet away from your head, then obviously having a cordless phone that only transmits when you’re actually talking on it could be quite beneficial!

Here’s a short video that makes our point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkXWLdBlo5o
[...]
If you can’t live without a cordless phone, but want to reduce electrosmog exposure in your home, then one of these units is the way to go. The important thing is to go into the setup menu and put the phone in Eco+ mode, as this is the no-emission-unless-talking mode.
[...]
In ECO+ mode the Siemens C385 handset & base stop emitting radiation within 35 seconds of you ending a call, regardless of whether you place the handset back in the base or not. Fact.
[...]
Our advice is not to use any kind of cordless Dect phone. If possible, please choose a regular wired model instead.

http://www.gigaset.com/pl_pl/cms/information/eco-dect.html
What is ECO DECT?
ECO DECT is a new technology that reduces the power consumption and transmission power of DECT phones.

ECO DECT benefits overview

For up to 60% less energy use thanks to an energy-saving power supply
In comparison to our conventional cordless phones

Reduction of transmitting power to almost zero when handset is docked
With only one registered handset

ECO-Mode
ECO DECT models offer an ECO Mode that reduces the transmitting power by 80% (in comparison to when ECO Mode is not activated and Gigaset‘s conventional cordless phones), even when multiple handsets are registered and when the handset is not in the charger.
ECO Mode Plus
Radiation-free ECO Mode Plus turns off the transmitting power when the phone is in standby. The DECT transmitting power is switched off for all registered handsets – when all support ECO Mode Plus.

Variable reduction of transmitting power according to distance between handset and base station
Dependent on distance from base station.

Thanks for that neonix, I'll check out those phones. Although cordless phones don't affect me that I can perceive, I noticed with my RF meter that they are always emitting radiation at their base stations.

I just found out last week that my electric company is installing smart meters next month. This one hit me by surprise, as I was unaware of this. So I think it may be too late to protest or write a letter, as some of the county already has or is getting the meters this month.

But you can opt out for a fee. And they say that the meter only broadcasts for a tenth of a second every hour at 0.000038 mW/cm2. So I'm going to opt out and take a few readings with my RF meter. The smart TV in the basement doesn't add much at all to my room. But our neighbor's house is a bit close to ours and their meter is right on the side of the house adjacent to ours.

So I'll just keep an eye on the readings and changes when the meters roll out. It seems that it may not be too big a deal, but if it were, I'm not sure if my neighbor would be willing to put on their meter an RF shield that I could buy. But really I think the thing to worry about is the 5G cell tower network if/when that rolls out. We're all going to be cooked, heh. :/

3D Student said:
Thanks for that neonix, I'll check out those phones. Although cordless phones don't affect me that I can perceive, I noticed with my RF meter that they are always emitting radiation at their base stations.

A time back I was curious to find out just how far my home base cordless phone could reach. So I dialed the the local number for a time check. Then got in my car, and drove away to about 4 blocks. Only to realize that the signal was no less any different. And as if I was still next to the power base unit.

Oh, I also lived on a hill.

Here is a demonstration by Lloyd Burrell

Radiation :Cordless (DECT) Phone Worse Than Cell Phone (Nov 24, 2010 /5:22)
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jggo5R2a6g

Also:

Can Low Frequency Sound Waves Make You Sick?/3:58
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9yHKhwc2xc

3D Student said:
I just found out last week that my electric company is installing smart meters next month. This one hit me by surprise, as I was unaware of this. So I think it may be too late to protest or write a letter, as some of the county already has or is getting the meters this month.

You might want to call the electric company and opt out, and then tape something on the analog meter saying that you opted out of the smart meter.

Back
Top Bottom