Errors in "The Wave" (Online Version)

Chapter 20

Ch. 20 said:
A: Branch Davidians. ELF and subliminals, as well as other means drove them crazy.

The fact that the use of ELF and other sound frequencies is ubiquitous was mentioned by the Cassiopaeans one night to a researcher who had recently been through what she described as a “severe psychic attack”.
[end quote box]
This part got caught in a quote box too.

Edit 1:
Ch. 20 said:
In 1997, Ark had several research obligations in Europe and one of them was in Göttingen
An internet search tells me this should probably say Göttingen, which is "a university town in Lower Saxony, Germany", according to Wikipedia.

Edit 2:
Some more of the above:
Ch. 20 said:
But, as the Cassiopaeans noted, Ark was soon to leave Göttingen for Dijon for a couple of weeks, after which he traveled to Florence. The time in Dijon was as bad, if not worse, than the time in Göttingen.
[snip]
Q: (L) He is gone from Dijon now. Whatever it was in Göttingen, you said he would be gone soon and not to worry.

Huh, I can't edit my post further, ATM. I presume the forum has a feature preventing too many edits in quick succession?

Chapter 20

Ch. 20 said:
But it is the others — the perfectly programmed individuals that will be discerned with only great difficulty.

Whoops, hit post too soon, and still can't edit. Here's what I meant to post:

Chapter 20

Ch. 20 said:
But it is the others — the perfectly programmed individuals that will be discerned with only great difficulty.
Should this rather be like the following?...
But it is the others — the perfectly programmed individuals — that will be discerned with only great difficulty.

HowToBe said:
Ch. 20 said:
A: Branch Davidians. ELF and subliminals, as well as other means drove them crazy.

The fact that the use of ELF and other sound frequencies is ubiquitous was mentioned by the Cassiopaeans one night to a researcher who had recently been through what she described as a “severe psychic attack”.
[end quote box]
This part got caught in a quote box too.

Edit 1:
Ch. 20 said:
In 1997, Ark had several research obligations in Europe and one of them was in Göttingen
An internet search tells me this should probably say Göttingen, which is "a university town in Lower Saxony, Germany", according to Wikipedia.

Edit 2:
Some more of the above:
Ch. 20 said:
But, as the Cassiopaeans noted, Ark was soon to leave Göttingen for Dijon for a couple of weeks, after which he traveled to Florence. The time in Dijon was as bad, if not worse, than the time in Göttingen.
[snip]
Q: (L) He is gone from Dijon now. Whatever it was in Göttingen, you said he would be gone soon and not to worry.

Fixed all these.

HowToBe said:
Whoops, hit post too soon, and still can't edit. Here's what I meant to post:

Chapter 20

Ch. 20 said:
Should this rather be like the following?...
But it is the others — the perfectly programmed individuals — that will be discerned with only great difficulty.

I think it's correct the way it is.

My grammatical understanding is that whatever comes before the dash is supposed to either be able to stand as a sentence by itself or be completed into a proper sentence after a second dash. In other words, the sentence should still "fit" even if we leave out the thought that follows the dash.

Ch. 20 said:
I would like to suggest just the opposite would be true in the most hard-core cases. Yes, we have a lot of folks out there who are stuck in their egos, whose egos are being manipulated to send them out to proclaim this or that teaching involving a hierarchy in which they, naturally, have a very high position. Those people who are in it for the money and the glory are easy enough to spot if you look close enough. Even Sai Baba, a South Indian guru who claimed to be the reincarnation of the Maharashtrian saint, Sai Baba of Shirdi, has fallen from grace because many people have become aware of the clever shell game of manipulations he has been playing all these years.

But it is the others — the perfectly programmed individuals that will be discerned with only great difficulty. And, the problem we face is the following: they really believe in what they are saying or doing. They are dedicated and driven to preach, convert, suffer, and sacrifice for the sake of their message!
This doesn't read correctly to me if the part after the dash is removed; "But it is the others." does not fit as a sentence, whereas "But it is the others that will be discerned with great difficulty." does.

In other words, I think "the perfectly programmed individuals" is an insertion used to elaborate who "the others" are, so it should be set apart by having a dash on each side. Does this make sense?

Chapter 20

Ch. 20 said:
Boundaries were breached into invisible and terrifying realms of consciousness. William Chittick translator of the works of the great Sufi Shaykh, Ibn al-‘Arabi, wrote:
I think a comma after 'William Chittick' is appropriate.

HowToBe said:
My grammatical understanding is that whatever comes before the dash is supposed to either be able to stand as a sentence by itself or be completed into a proper sentence after a second dash. In other words, the sentence should still "fit" even if we leave out the thought that follows the dash.

Ch. 20 said:
I would like to suggest just the opposite would be true in the most hard-core cases. Yes, we have a lot of folks out there who are stuck in their egos, whose egos are being manipulated to send them out to proclaim this or that teaching involving a hierarchy in which they, naturally, have a very high position. Those people who are in it for the money and the glory are easy enough to spot if you look close enough. Even Sai Baba, a South Indian guru who claimed to be the reincarnation of the Maharashtrian saint, Sai Baba of Shirdi, has fallen from grace because many people have become aware of the clever shell game of manipulations he has been playing all these years.

But it is the others — the perfectly programmed individuals that will be discerned with only great difficulty. And, the problem we face is the following: they really believe in what they are saying or doing. They are dedicated and driven to preach, convert, suffer, and sacrifice for the sake of their message!
I’m no expert but have been struggling to get to grips with grammar and according to an Oxford A-Z of Grammar by a John Seely, an em dash (long one) is used just to mark a break in sentences.

Still, I’m not sure if a coordinating conjunction (but) should be used at the beginning of a new paragraph, perhaps it’s an American grammar thing or something else called, ‘style’.

An ‘Although’ might suffice but I don’t know (LOL) maybe a Cambridge book on grammar might have a different take on the Queens English.

Although the ‘and’ is beginning a new sentence, I thought that was a grammatical no no ?

But since I can’t spell and my grammar would make even the most benevolent of grammarians turn to spouting expletives—I’ll just quote.
Dash
A punctuation mark that looks like an extended hyphen. It comes in two sizes: an em dash (—) and an en dash (-).

Em dash

An em dash is used to mark a break in sentences:

· It can be used in pairs to show words in parenthesis:

In brute material terms he was an accomplice—in fact, a conspirator—to the murder of millions of children.

· It can introduce something that develops, or is an example of, what has gone before:

You must have seen it, I’m sure—the blue flag with a white square in the middle.

In more formal writing a colon would be used instead of a dash.

· It can introduce an aside by the writer:

I occupied Piers’ old studio and Toby the three guest rooms—this purely for company.

· In direct speech it can show that someone breaks off in mid sentence, or is interrupted:

I smiled and she said, ‘You mean you want me to—‘

Traditionally there is no space before or after an em dash. In modern typography, the em dash is increasingly being replaced by an en dash with a space before and after it:

In brute material terms he was an accomplice – in fact, a conspirator – to the murder of millions of children.

En dash
An en dash is used to show sequences:

1999-2000
An A-Z guide

Though, I prefer the dash with a space before and after it, makes it somehow an easier read.

HowToBe said:
In other words, I think "the perfectly programmed individuals" is an insertion used to elaborate who "the others" are, so it should be set apart by having a dash on each side. Does this make sense?

Yes.

HowToBe said:

Yes, thanks for elaborating. I've inserted the dash after individuals.

HowToBe said:
Ch. 20 said:
Boundaries were breached into invisible and terrifying realms of consciousness. William Chittick translator of the works of the great Sufi Shaykh, Ibn al-‘Arabi, wrote:
I think a comma after 'William Chittick' is appropriate.

Done.

Chapter 20

Ch. 20 said:
And, if it does falter for just a moment or two, the leaders and associates work quickly to bolster the high — to get them back down to the church for another infusion. And they go because they can then return to the state of bliss that is their reward or unquestioning devotion.
Looks like that should read "for".

Ch. 20 said:
The question is, why is what Patrick * doing any different from what the cults he claims to consider so dangerous * doing?
Inserting 'is' after "Patrick" and 'are' after "dangerous" would fix this.

I was reading this page: http://cassiopaea.org/2010/05/12/the-wave-chapter-11-roses-grow-best-in-manure/

At about three quarter down there is a session quote from Session February 24, 1996.

This quote ends with a line that should be part of Laura's text, in stead of part of the quote.

This is that line: And more on the subject of proof versus strength:

It is followed by another quote, from Session April 18, 1998.

That's why Laura used a colon to end her in between expanding line which now is part of the previous quote, as stated.

I have been reading the "bibliotheka cassiopaea" section and some text contradicts itself (different answers to same questions). now I've been warned to take the channeled words with a grain of salt. people speculate but who is to discern what is right and wrong. too much reading and analyzing may get so confusing. plus with all the theories out there. what is your take on it?

Back
Top Bottom