Help with creating (and proofreading) transcripts of SOTT Talk Radio shows

Nicholas said:
Yes, point taken and understood. I do tend to be a little OCD about the transcription while also trying to maintain the "flavor" of the conversation by being as literal as possible (I do drop some of the 'uhms', 'ahs', 'I means' and 'you knows').

OCD can be very useful! You just gotta redirect it towards "maintain[ing] the 'flavor' of the conversation" ;)

Nicholas said:
Looks like I need to trust myself more and loosen up a bit so as not to stress out too much over the literal translation. This may also help me to pay attention and understand the material better in order to 'unscramble' the message. The literal translation can be a machine like activity. Creativity on my part is something I really need to practice more and bring joy into the work. Thanks for the heads up!

That's a great way of putting it. Thanks again!

Thank you Kniall for pointing out what may seem to be the obvious, because I too have been really pedantic over the 'oohs, umms and you knows'. Point duly noted and moving forward with the transcribing (albeit slowly) :rolleyes:

·So I was trying to transcribe the Show#29 'All and Everything Part 4', and it's taking me way too much time. About 3 hours for only 8 mins... and it's not even that polished. :/ (I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it..)

I don't know if I should upload it as it is, but if anyone wants it, I'll upload it.

·Also the inital translation of Show#24 'Who was Jesus' in Spanish is already in transop.

Kniall said:
Thanks to all our transcribers!

I've noticed while going through this one here that y'all may be trying to transcribe the shows too literally. Things that make sense to the ear don't always make sense to the eye! Something that might help more accurately 'translate' one form of communication into the other is to make sure that you form more or less coherent sentences (obviously, the more coherent the better!)

I say 'more or less' because I don't want you to spend ages worrying about how exactly to phrase things. I trust that y'all are on the same page as us, so you have a very good understanding of the subjects and ideas we're talking about.

There's no need to include 'uhms' and 'ahs'. You can also leave out the intro/outro voiceover. You can 'fill in' the points you understand us to be making. You don't have to invent anything from whole cloth. If something is inaudible, it's inaudible. But if something we say looks scrambled in writing when transcribed literally, yet when you heard it you understood the point being made, then you are completely free to be creative in 'unscrambling' it so that someone reading it for the first time can understand what is being said.

On our end, we'll need to remember to speak more clearly so that you can hear as much of what we say as possible.

Thanks again for your super-efforts! Hopefully this exercise in 'reading our minds' will help you to have some fun with it.

Gotcha. Makes it look more professional too.

I was wondering if someone is available to help transcribe show #23 "All and everything". I am falling behind because I just moved and am looking for a job. So far I am at 1:28:00, there is about fifty minutes left to transcribe.

mimimari said:
I was wondering if someone is available to help transcribe show #23 "All and everything". I am falling behind because I just moved and am looking for a job. So far I am at 1:28:00, there is about fifty minutes left to transcribe.

Hi mimimari,

You can also ask for help in the yahoo group if you have not done it yet.

I have finished Radio Show #2 Gun Control USA: Do Guns Protect Civil Liberties.

Could I have an invitation to join the translator/transcriber group so I can upload it to the database?

tempo said:
I have finished Radio Show #2 Gun Control USA: Do Guns Protect Civil Liberties.

Could I have an invitation to join the translator/transcriber group so I can upload it to the database?

Thanks so much tempo. :clap:

An invitation to join the group has just been sent to you.

Please post a little intro as soon as you have joined the group and someone will give you the officail Welcome message explaining how to proceed.

And as you know, please remember the following note which is very important for all translators/transcribers :

"Notice to all those interested in volunteering to do translations/transcriptions: We would also like to strongly suggest that you participate regularly in the forum. As you can imagine, translating SOTT/QFS/FOTCM/Cass material also requires a desire to work on the self. This project, believe it or not, is a very useful tool for us all, as we learn a lot about ourselves, networking and the material itself while doing it. But most of the networking and work on the self needs to be done in the forum. The more you participate, the more you learn and the more other members learn with you! "

Transcription of Show#35 - "Surviving the End of the World (as we know it)", is done. :clap:

With YouTube's automatic captions it becomes relatively easier to transcribe. (If you would like to, I could explain how to extract them and use them)

Muxel said:
Str!ke said:
With YouTube's automatic captions it becomes relatively easier to transcribe.
OMG, good idea! :cool:

Wow! I'm going to us it to finish up a part of a show I said I would do.

Here is a tutorial on how to do captions and I'm assuming you can just copy the text that shows up to the right of the Youtube video you are captioning and paste it into a document. Then it seems a matter of just checking the text in your document as you listen to the show. Is that what you did Str!ke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7FDktLN_f8

Um, being hard-of-hearing and correct me if I am wrong but
the google speech recognition program does not always get it
right, so at the very least, verify and make the corrections if
needed. I have watched many youTube videos with automatic
translation (speech recognizer) (if supported for that specific video)
and many are so off that it was very frustrating to figure out what
was really said - I read lips and at times could SEE it was not matching
up very well. I just thought I'd point it out...

FWIW

dant said:

FWIW

Yes of course! :), it just helps to get a kind of base to work on. Sorry for the confusion.

dant said:

FWIW

Yeah automatic captions are usually gibberish, and using them would turn transcribing into a sort of large proofreading task. I worry that editing strings of nonsense isn't healthy and generates interference because our brain first has to register (comprehend) the nonsense. Maybe I'll stick to vanilla transcribing after all.

Back
Top Bottom