High Dose Intravenous Vitamin C (and other vitamin infusions)

But peeps, notice the title of the thread; I'm interested in research on IV use. Does anybody know anyone who has ever done it? What stories are out there about it? Maybe a look at the laws about it in different places? If doctors don't prescribe it, can people do it anyway? Are there any actual direct laws against it? I mean, look at all the clinics that offer it as a cosmetic or anti-aging thing! Are they doing this to fly under the radar, so to say?

My wife took IV C for a couple of years to fight an inflammatory tumour (not cancerous) on the optic nerve. Unfortunately it didn't do anything for her, not with THIS type of tumour anyway. Where we had it done, they have a room with 8 lazy-boy chairs for IV patients (medical system doesn't pay for this, it's all through "naturopathic doctors" here in Canada). We met and became friendly with a few folks who really were suffering from cancer. Some of them didn't make it, even with the IV C. Having said that, some people seemed to really benefit from it. The chairs were ALWAYS full.

Certainly diet comes into play here; if you continue the diet that gave you cancer, no amount of ascorbic acid is going to help you, and I suspect that's exactly what we saw.

What happened with your wife's tumor? Did she get other treatment? Surgery? Is she okay?

Thanks for all the replies here so far. A lot of brilliant research on this has been brought to the fore.
I've been getting interested in using IV Vit C infusions and pairing it with AHT. One earlier post linked a protocol that recommended the following:

350mg/kg bodyweight of sodium ascorbate (NaA) or ascorbic acid (AA) (about 25g for average adult male)
18 cc isotonic diluent per g of Vit C (iso saline or lactate ringer's solution - about 450 cc for average adult male).

From the above discussion it looks like a 1:2 dilution with something isotonic is also doable, either as an IV injection or infusion. I think I'd prefer doing that vs doing a gravity infusion, if only to save time. It wasn't very clear to me what the added benefit of a lower concentration was, other than to slow/ease delivery.

Is sodium ascorbate preferable to ascorbic acid just in the context of it burning less for intramuscular injections? Does the lack of pH change in NaA vs AA have any benefits, or make buffering less important?

I seem to remember in another thread somewhere that mixing pharmaceutical grade ascorbate with diluent at a high enough concentration will sterilize the solution because of how powerful an oxidant it is. Have any of you prepared mixtures for infusion on you own and had success?

Is sodium ascorbate preferable to ascorbic acid just in the context of it burning less for intramuscular injections? Does the lack of pH change in NaA vs AA have any benefits, or make buffering less important?

I seem to remember in another thread somewhere that mixing pharmaceutical grade ascorbate with diluent at a high enough concentration will sterilize the solution because of how powerful an oxidant it is. Have any of you prepared mixtures for infusion on you own and had success?

There are answers to your questions in these sites posted previously in this thread:

Yes, is very long, but very instructive and a must read for health care providers and if you are even remotely interesting in experimenting with this. I had an IV vitamin C injection with the ready-made stock solution that practitioners make themselves and found that all that I have written in the historical record is very important and to keep in mind. Depending on the context and state of health, this is something that you definitely need and want a health care provider to be around. Depending on the speed and concentration, you can certainly faint or even die if you have a glucose-6-phostate dehydrogenase deficiency.

Sodium ascorbate needs a small concentration of EDTA to neutralize the copper and iron which in turn neutralizes the ascorbate. No other additives are recommended.

Ideal dilutions for intramuscular injection are 500mg of C in 1cc of solution. Injection has to go deep in the muscle as there is subcutaneous induration and even sterile abscesses if the needle doesn't reach the muscle. Sodium ascorbate hurts less than ascorbic acid. As much as 2 grams can be injected in one site, but if the vials are of 1gram per 5cc, know that injecting 10cc in one single site might be too much, carrying a greater risk of complications if the water was not in the muscle to begin with.

Thrombophlebitis would always be an issue when using >500mg of vitamin C per cc and there is a possibility of fainting if solution goes too rapidly. Spacing the infusions or using a different vein are ways to allow the veins to recover.

For higher concentrations, calcium gluconate can be used to reduce tetany, but it can induce severe bradycardia in some populations. In fact, calcium gluconate is only used in the hospital setting.

There is more useful information in the historical record, a compilation of what they discovered in the past while applying vitamin C to patients throughout several decades. Fortunately, nobody needs to re-invent the wheel, but learn from practitioners in the past who in turn learned the hard way.

What happened with your wife's tumor? Did she get other treatment? Surgery? Is she okay?

No surgery (apparently there's something experimental at the Mayo clinic...who the hell can afford that?), we've just been "managing" with turmeric supplements, oral C and "natural herbs" for pain management.

She's *okay*, but suffers from pain a lot. Not one freaking doctor has any idea what to do.

No surgery (apparently there's something experimental at the Mayo clinic...who the hell can afford that?), we've just been "managing" with turmeric supplements, oral C and "natural herbs" for pain management.

She's *okay*, but suffers from pain a lot. Not one freaking doctor has any idea what to do.
Dry intermittent fasting, in addition to her supplements, can help a lot. Here is an excerpt from this page provided by SAO in the fasting thread
#2: High Anti-inflammatory Activity

When you’re dry fasting, your inflammation levels plummet.

Studies show dry fasts like the Ramadan intermittent fasting (RIF) significantly lower the concentration of inflammatory markers like these[*][*][*] :
  • TNF-α: This molecule is able to induce fever, inflammation, and cell death. It can increase the chance of Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, psoriasis, and inflammatory bowel diseases when it’s not properly regulated.
  • CRP: High levels of CRP are associated with an increased risk of diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease
  • IL-1b: Important mediator of inflammation and is linked to heart failure.
  • IL-6: This proinflammatory molecule can worsen autoimmune diseases and infections. It’s associated with a higher risk of diabetes, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, and further malignant growths in people with breast cancer.
  • CXC Chemokines: Molecules that cause inflammation when unregulated.
Intermittent dry fasting also reduces inflammation by decreasing the levels of leukocytes (immune cells), because leukocyte-derived inflammatory molecules contribute to inflammatory diseases[*].

By reducing inflammation, a dry fast can help prevent many degenerative diseases.

What is the experimental treatment at Mayo and how much does it cost?

What is the experimental treatment at Mayo and how much does it cost?

Our doctor at the time estimated it would probably cost about $50K, not including travel expenses.

Their surgery is basically taking a sharp hook and running it along the optic nerve (where the tumour is sitting), scraping it off and literally sucking it out. From what they tell me, it's very dangerous.

Our doctor at the time estimated it would probably cost about $50K, not including travel expenses.

Their surgery is basically taking a sharp hook and running it along the optic nerve (where the tumour is sitting), scraping it off and literally sucking it out. From what they tell me, it's very dangerous.

Not only expensive, but scary and dangerous.

I hope your wife is taking ALA and liposomal C daily. I found that GABA helped a lot with chronic pain, not a lot, just a low daily dose. Also, since my doctor put me on metformin, I've read a lot about it. Apparently, they often prescribe it for women with fibroids and PCOS. It's also been shown to be protective of brain health, heart, etc, and may prevent tumors of other kinds. If it was me, I would try it, but you need to take Bs along with it every day.

50K for getting another health issue? :huh:
And with a hook, I doubt you can remove all the tumor: it's not like dissecting.
If they are able to run there a hook, and they like experimenting, so why not runing a needle instead, and injecting in situ a product (like blue iodine, or something else - Quinton, vit C, ... )

I hope your wife is taking ALA and liposomal C daily. I found that GABA helped a lot with chronic pain, not a lot, just a low daily dose. Also, since my doctor put me on metformin, I've read a lot about it. Apparently, they often prescribe it for women with fibroids and PCOS. It's also been shown to be protective of brain health, heart, etc, and may prevent tumors of other kinds. If it was me, I would try it, but you need to take Bs along with it every day.

Interesting. I take GABA for stress. Never thought about using it for the wife's chronic pain!

As for metformin, that's very interesting too: I used to take it (I *was* diabetic...my doctor doesn't even consider me diabetic any more since going paleo and losing 60+ pounds), but might have to see if the family doctor will help!

On a completely unrelated note, your reply to me was at xx:11. I see that constantly. 5:11. 7:11. 11:11. 3:11. etc. It's insane. Some folks seem to think this is something about "Angel #11 trying to tell you it's time to start your life's purpose and move on". Or something.

On a completely unrelated note, your reply to me was at xx:11. I see that constantly. 5:11. 7:11. 11:11. 3:11. etc. It's insane. Some folks seem to think this is something about "Angel #11 trying to tell you it's time to start your life's purpose and move on". Or something.

Well, just do some research on anti-tumor foods and herbs and supplements and maybe even meds, like metformin, and hopfully, with a daily intake of a few things along that line, your wife might get some relief. I really do think that controlling blood sugar is the key to dealing with a lot of issues.

As for metformin, that's very interesting too: I used to take it (I *was* diabetic...my doctor doesn't even consider me diabetic any more since going paleo and losing 60+ pounds), but might have to see if the family doctor will help!

That's impressive! We have collected some information about Metformin that might be of interest to you for your wife, and in particular this post:

Metformin seems to bring more benefits than one!

Back
Top Bottom