Historical Events Database - History

Re: Historical Events Database

Zadig said:
Zach, I separated your column of fire and darkness at noonday into TWO events. As the darkness was a noonday, we can probably assume it was an eclipse and I so designated it. Too bad there isn't more to pin down the date.

I also adjusted the keywords so that if somebody is searching for something, they'll more easily find it. "column of fire, Byzantium" and "eclipse, Byzantium".

The REASON for breaking down reports into separate data points is so that an event that has many factors, which is naturally "heavier" will then plot as heavier when we are looking at a given time/place.

Ok.

Another one, just for an example so everyone will know: you put in keywords "four stars appeared." That makes "appeared" a key word which is not useful. Try to avoid commonplace words that are irrelevant to the event as keywords. I changed this to "four stars, crown of fire" which is more useful for searching.

Hopefully, everyone will catch on to how you have to think about these things. You'll find that it actually changes the way you think about everything, makes it more logical and empirical.

Zadig said:
The events of 390 AD reported by Agapius were also reported in China, Korea and in Europe by Philostorgius and Marcellinus. See p. 68: http://books.google.be/books?id=Umxbb68tmZMC&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq=claudius+II+comet&source=bl&ots=QGR3SL5mYl&sig=dmtUyaVnHqd3kKh2qRuU10SJPS8&hl=fr&sa=X&ei=ryQBU-bdM6Tt0gXWhoDYBg&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=claudius%20II%20comet&f=false

The Cometography of Kronk is a great book but quite expensive :

http://www.amazon.com/Cometography-Volume-Ancient-1799-Catalog-Comets/dp/052158504X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392632770&sr=8-1&keywords=cometography

http://www.abebooks.fr/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=11455772853&searchurl=kn%3Dcometography

Geez, no kidding. Since it is Cambridge press, I checked their website and there are FIVE volumes, QUITE PRICEY EACH!!! And they are way too big to scan if someone could get them from the library.

Cometography is a multi-volume catalog of every comet observed throughout history. It uses the most reliable orbits known to determine the distances from the Earth and Sun at the time a comet was discovered and last observed, as well as the largest and smallest angular distance to the Sun, most northerly and southerly declination, closest distance to the Earth, and other details to enable the reader to understand the physical appearance of each well-observed comet. Volume 5 provides a complete discussion of the observations and pertinent calculations for every comet seen between 1960 and 1982. The comets are listed in chronological order, with complete references to publications relating to each comet and physical descriptions of each comet's development throughout its apparition. Cometography will be valuable to historians of science as well as providing amateur and professional astronomers with a definitive reference on comets through the ages.

Provides complete observations and calculations of every comet seen from 1960 to 1982
Includes physical descriptions of each comet's development throughout its apparition
Lists comets in chronological order, with complete references to publications relating to the comet

Oy, oy, oy!!!

There is a book titled "A catalogue of destructive earthquakes, A.D. 7 to A.D. 1899" by John Milne published in 1911 and available from California Digital Library in various formats here:

https://archive.org/details/catalogueofdestr00britrich

Laura said:
Geez, no kidding. Since it is Cambridge press, I checked their website and there are FIVE volumes, QUITE PRICEY EACH!!! And they are way too big to scan if someone could get them from the library.

The Cometography of Kronk is actually available at my university, but only the first three volumes. I can search through these if needed and focused on a specific time period?

I can bring a laptop to my library and work through these text right there the following weekend and add any of the information to the database?

Possibility of Being said:
There is a book titled "A catalogue of destructive earthquakes, A.D. 7 to A.D. 1899" by John Milne published in 1911 and available from California Digital Library in various formats here:

There's another book on this topic by John Williams entitled "Observations of Comets: From BC 611 to AD 1640" (published 1871):

https://archive.org/details/observationsofco00willrich

Possibility of Being said:

I notice in page 8 of the above that the list of Chinese sources gives one reference that also lists earthquakes going back as far as 1767 B.C.:

4. An abstract also made by S. Hirota from a "Catalogue des Tremblements de Terre, Signalés en Chine," par le R. P. Pierre Hoang, published by La Mission Catholioque in Shanghai, 1909. This is a work of 298 pp. The first entry is 1767 B.C. and the last 1896 A.D.

The Eternal Man by Louis Pauwels & Jacques Bergier (London: Souvenir Press, 1972, page 172) also has this on Chinese recording of earthquakes:

The Chinese had a highly developed and accurate knowledge of seismology. This [was] something quite unique in the history of ancient civilisations. It was the Chinese who drew up an exhaustive list of earthquakes. It begins in 780 B.C. and continues until A.D. 1644. The chronicles say that the gods who came from heaven demanded that this list be made. Thus the gods took a particular interest in the structure of the terrestrial globe. But there are stranger things to come. Chang Heng, who was born in 78 and died in 139, invented the seismograph. His apparatus consisted of a bronze vessel with a domed cover containing a central column (essentially a pendulum). The latter could move laterally along tracks in eight directions and work a closing and opening mechanism [. . .]

Going through multiple papers I've collected over time and found one titled "Revision of the tsunami catalogue affecting Turkish coasts and surrounding regions" that is based on old Turkish sources:

Beyond
building up a standardised catalogue of tsunamis, the
most important contribution of the present study has been
the search for the events of 407, 545, 549, 551, 557, 740,
989, 1265, 1481, 1509, 1598, 1766, 1856.10.12, 1867, 1881,
1893, 1894, 1901, 1912, 1935, 1939, 1944, 1949, 1956,
1961, 1963, 3 September 1968 and 1999. Most of the
sources we searched were in the Ottoman and Turkish languages.
We made efforts to reach the primary sources in order
to avoid ambiguities and confusions. In this sense, the
Ottoman Archives, manuscripts, old newspapers and magazines
at various libraries have been searched. The number
of scanned records throughout various catalogues between
the years of 2005 and 2009 is more than 958 million.
The most important records were “Bab-i Asafi Kalemi”
(25 610), “Iradeler of 1255–1309” (150 528), “Iradeler
of 1310–1334” (142 095), “Maliyeden M¨udevver Defterler”
(2 626 910), “Dosya Usˆul¨u Iradeler” (89 files), “Surayi
Devlet” (<1 260 000), “M¨uhimme Defterleri” (29 260),
[...]
Meanwhile, many related documents were searched in the
Turkish Republic Archives (Cumhuriyet Ars¸ivi) and Turkish
Parliament (TBMM) Library, other local libraries (Istanbul
Atat¨urk, Istanbul Beyazıt, S¨uleymaniye, Istanbul
U¨ niversitesi Merkez Ku¨tu¨phanesi, Istanbul Kitaplıg˘ı, Koraes
Library in Chios, Bozcaada Halk K¨ut¨uphanesi, Fethiye
Halk K¨ut¨uphanesi, ˙Izmir Milli K¨ut¨uphanesi, ˙Izmir S¸ ehir
K¨ut¨uphanesi, C¸ es¸me K¨ut¨uphanesi, ISAM K¨ut¨uphanesi) and
archives (G¨okc¸eada, Foc¸a and Ayvalık municipalities). Besides
the archives and libraries, we have also studied other
sources of printed matter of documentary character such as
novels and diaries.

Example:

36. January 549: SM; ER; AA: Istanbul; Rel: 2–3.
Massive waves were created by the earthquake and a
huge fish (porphyrion) was thrown on shore (9, 19).

37. 9 July 551: EM; ER+EL; 34.0 N–35.5 E (52); I0: IX–
X (52); MS: 7.2 (52); h: 28 (52); AA: Lebanese coast
(24, 35, 52, 55); TI1: 5 (23), TI2: 8 (23); Rel: 4.
Tsunami along Lebanase coast (24, 35, 52, 55, 67); in
Botrys Mt. Lithoprosopon broke off and fell in to the
sea, and formed a new harbour (24, 35); the sea retreated
for a mile and then was restored to its original bed, many ships were destroyed (24, 35); the sea retreating
by 1000 m, tsunami waves destroyed many houses
(54). Receding distance was 1800m in Botrys (24, 35). [...]

39. 15 August 554: 554–558 (24), 554 (21, 53, 55), 556
(43), 558 (GITEC), August 556 (45); SA; ER; 36.8 N–
27.3 E (43, 45); I: X (45); M: (7.0) (45); AA: The
southwest coast of Anatolia, Kos Island, Gulf of G¨ull¨uk
(2, 10, 11, 17, 24, 41, 44, 45, 55, 56); TI1: 4 (54);
Rel: 4.
The sea rose up to a fantastic height and engulfed all the
buildings near shore in the Island of Kos (43, 45); the
sea receded at least 2 km and then flooded a 1-km-wide
coastal area; many ships were wrecked; many sea animals
and fish perished; waves were possibly observed
on the Syrian coast (54).

PDF available here:
http://www.nat-hazards-earth-syst-sci.net/11/273/2011/nhess-11-273-2011.html

I went ahead and got the Kronk book Volume I which covers the periods we are interested in. It was 123 euro from a marketplace seller so way cheaper than it would be on Cambridge even if volume I were still available there, which it isn't. I'm not sure we need the subsequent volumes since vol II starts with 1800.

MEANWHILE, last night, I continued to go through Paul the Deacon's "History of the Langobards". As I mentioned, it is a rip-off of Jordanes "History of the Goths" which was a rip-off of Cassiodorus' now lost history of the Goths that he "created" at the behest of Theodoric.

Anyway, a couple of interesting things came up when reading Paul the Deacon that may be clues and I'll share them so that those of you who love a good mystery/treasure hunt will get an idea of how I think.

As we learn from our books about textual analysis, there are ways to examine the texts and tell what scriptorium they came from, what time period, and, in some cases, WHO actually copied them. There are ways to tell what author had access to what books. So all of this is useful, kind of like being able to profile a criminal.

Okay, first thing we know - learned quite by accident by compiling a list of environmental events from the late Empire/Byzantine chroniclers - is that there is a big gap of such events in the Byzantine chronicles and that gap is precisely filled by the events included by Gregory of Tours. That's practically a smoking gun bit of evidence. We know that those chronicles were written in Greek and if those events were lifted from Greek chronicles and dropped into Gregory's text, then in must have happened some time AFTER the events and it must have been at least AIDED by someone who could translate the elements from Greek to Latin.

We know that almost nobody was speaking Greek in the Italian Renaissance because we have read about how Petrarch and his buddies were trying to learn, some of them without success.

Obviously, the siege and capture of Constantinople by crusaders in 1203 and 1204 COULD have brought back Greek texts, but that is a little too late for the Gregory of Tours text which was written more likely around the 9th or 10th century. (It definitely wasn't written when it claims it was written!)

Okay, that's our problem: how did the Gregory poseur get hold of a Greek text and KNOW WHAT IT SAID??? And WHO then had the ability to make sure that the Byzantine texts that included those elements were truncated or simply never copied? Obviously, the Catholic Church. But can we figure out any more?

Well, here's where we may get a few pointers from Paul the Deacon.

Now, keep in mind that we are concerned with a period of time of catastrophe and destruction in the Western Empire that has been covered up and the general dating we have of this is the 6th century - stuff was going on in the 4th and 5th centuries, (and the third century may have been partly a doublet) but the 6th century was the big Kaboom-Splat. Everything just came to a screeching halt. This was due to multiple Tunguska like events, massive earthquakes, possibly a meteor impact in the Med that buried the coast of Italy (and Rome) not to mention affecting other coastal areas. There is astronomy, archaeology and geology to demonstrate and support this. So, keep that firmly in mind while you read the history. If the historian is NOT talking about it, then he's covering it up.

We have also speculated that, prior to, and at the time of, the disasters, there were wealthy church prelates/officials, who were creating enclaves for survival, retreating to their country estates with their pals, hiding from the pestilence and the wrath of the beleaguered masses dying all around them. Okay, so they preserved some texts and they preserved their elitist idea of education and some literacy etc. So, when the history says: "The survival of traditions of literacy, of antique educational practices, and of physical and cultural legacies from antiquity contributed much to the intellectual conditions of eighth-century Italy and shaped the education of Paul himself"... we can accept that this was certainly the case, though not exactly the way it is presented. The very fact that historians have to talk about this "survival" while avoiding what had to be survived, is telling.

It is not said, though we may assume, that the Lombards sort of moved into northern Italy and took over after the catastrophes. Here's the short version:

The Kingdom of the Lombards (regnum Langobardorum), later the Kingdom of (all) Italy (regnum totius Italiae) was an early medieval state established by the Lombards, a Germanic-speaking people, on the Italian Peninsula between 568–69. The king was traditionally elected by the highest-ranking aristocrats, the dukes, and all attempts to establish a hereditary dynasty failed. The kingdom was divided into a varying number of duchies, ruled by the semi-autonomous dukes, which were in turn subdivided into gastaldates at the level of each city. The capital of the kingdom and centre of its political life was Pavia. ... The Lombard invasion was opposed by the Byzantine Empire, which retained control of much of the peninsula until the mid-8th century. .... The Exarchate of Ravenna and the Duchy of Rome separated the northern duchies, or Langobardia major, from the two large southern duchies of Spoleto and Benevento, which constituted Langobardia minor. Because of this division, the southern duchies were more autonomous than the smaller northern duchies.

{This explanation cleverly smoothes over the fact that large sections of Italy, particularly Rome, had been laid waste. In the map below, I would suggest that the orange areas, supposedly "controlled by the Byzantines" were the areas that were totally destroyed.
Aistulf%27s_Italy-en.png
}

The Lombards gradually adopted Roman titles, names and traditions. By the time Paul the Deacon was writing in the late 8th century, the Lombard language, dress and hairstyles had all disappeared.

Initially the Lombards were Arians at odds with the Papacy both religiously and politically. By the end of the 7th century, their conversion to Catholicism was all but complete. The conflict with the Papacy continued, and was responsible for their gradual loss of power in the face of the Franks, who conquered the kingdom in 774. Charlemagne, the king of the Franks, adopted the title "King of the Lombards", but never managed to control Benevento.

In any event, there was this Christian Lombard king, Liutprand (712-744), who was buddy-buddy with religious figures of the time, patronizing them as teachers and scholars. In short, that was another place that the church was moving itself into positions of power. We already know they were schmoozing with the Anglo-Saxons in Britain and with the Franks in Germany/Francia.

It is said that Paul the Deacon was born in the 8th century, that is, around 720, and was educated by the grammarian Flavianus possibly at the royal Lombard court of Pavia. Paul learned Latin AND GREEK from Flavianus.

(This "Flavianus" claim presents its own set of problems because the well-attested grammarian, Flavianus, belongs to the 4th century. However, I've taken a screen shot of a page from a "Biographical Index of the Middle Ages" and attached it to this post so you can see that there appears to be a number of "Flavianus" types that are modeled on the 4th century guy. The 4th century guy and his son really existed because there is evidence that is discussed here: http://www9.georgetown.edu/faculty/jod/texts/flavianus.html )

Getting back to Paul the Deacon, let me assemble a few datapoints:

Paul served as tutor to Adelperga, the daughter of King Desiderius (756-774) and she became the wife of Arichis, Duke of Benevento.

With the fall of the Lombard kingdome in 774, {Enter the Franks} Paul retreated to the monastery of Monte Cassino where he remained until 783.

In 776, Paul's brother, Arichis (Duke of Benevento), and other Lombard nobles revolted against Charlemagne. The revolt was suppressed, and Arichis was imprisoned.

Paul wrote to Charlemagne in 782, pleading for his brother. In 783, he traveled to Charlemagne's court to plead his brother's case in person.

Sometime between 785 and 787, he returned to Monte Cassino where he remained until his death in 799.

So, from 783 to possibly 787, he was at the court of Charlemagne - 2, 3 or 4 years.

It was said that Paul the Deacon greatly impressed Charlemagne who was in the process of surrounding himself with scholars AKA churchmen, such as peter of Pisa, Paulinus of Aquileia, Alcuin from England, Theodulf the Visigoth from Spain, Dicuil from Ireland. All of these surrounded Charlemagne from 775 to 805 or thereabouts.

Charlemagne was definitely up to something. OR, the Church was, and Charlemagne was just their puppet du jour.

During his time at Charlemagne's court, Paul tutored Charles' daughter, Rotrud, in elementary Greek because she was supposed to marry Constantine VI of Constantinople but ended up not doing so.

Here comes a very interesting tidbit: At the request of Angilram, Bishop of Metz and archchaplain of Charlemagne's court, Paul composed the "History of the Bishops of Metz."

AND:

After his return to Monte Cassino, Paul worked on an edition of the letters of Pope Gregory the Great (590-604) and, for his friend Adalhard (Abbot of Corbie), he wrote a "Life" of Gregory, a commentary on the Rule of St. Benedict, and two volumes of "Homilies" that Charlemagne recommended to his own clergy for the Frankish Church. Paul's last work was "History of the Lombards" which wasn't completed because he died.

I find almost nothing easily available on Angilram, not even a Wikipedia entry. However, what catches my eye is that Paul wrote a "History" of the Bishops of Metz... which was probably a load of hooey. (This Liber de episcopis Mettensibus has been recently edited and translated into English by Damien Kempf (Leuven, 2013))

More interesting is his alleged friendship with Adalhard.

Saint Adalard (or Adalard of Corbie) (c. 751 – 2 January 827) was son of Bernard the son of Charles Martel and half-brother of Pepin; Charlemagne was his cousin.

Adalard received a good education in the Palatine School at the Court of Charlemagne, and while still very young was made Count of the Palace. At the age of twenty he entered the monastery at Corbie in Picardy. In order to be more secluded, he went to Monte Cassino, but was ordered by Charlemagne to return to Corbie, where he was elected abbot. At the same time Charlemagne made him prime minister to his son Pepin, King of Italy, in the Carolingian Empire....

When, in 817, Bernard, son of Pepin, aspired to the imperial crown, Louis le Debonnaire suspected Adalard of being in sympathy with Bernard and banished him to Hermoutier, the modern Noirmoutier, on the island of the same name. After seven years Louis saw his mistake and made Adalard one of his chief advisers.

In 822 Adalard and his brother Wala founded Corvey Abbey ("New Corbie") in Westphalia.

It seems to me that this connection between Adalhard and Paul - who knew Greek - and Adalhard's visit to Monte Cassino, may very well be the link to how a chunk of Byzantine chronicles found their way into the "History of the Franks." Obviously, Adalhard had an interest in the "History of the Franks" itself - that is, actually giving them a nobility that they did not really deserve, and utilizing a real history of the times as the skeleton on which to hang this history was a way of validating it. No doubt, there were still plenty of tales in the Western Empire being handed down about the dreadful catastrophes, so including mention of them in concert with this history would make it seem all that much more real and consequential.

Did Adelhard write the "History of the Franks" with help from Paul the Deacon?

Did Paul the Deacon, and others at the scriptorium at Monte Cassino where there may have been Greek texts, then ensure that the parts of the Byzantine chronicles which included those elements were truncated? I.E. "lost"?

So, you see how a funny incident where Icedesert called my attention to the history of Paul the Deacon may have provided some clues to the problem.

Attachments

• 'Biographical Index of the Middle Ages.jpg
    'Biographical Index of the Middle Ages.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 202

Another one: "Tsunami hazard in the Black Sea and the Azov Sea: a new tsunami catalogue" here has mostly later events, but the few of the first millennium may be worth a look.

A short excerpt from the 544/545 event discussion:

A careful historical study was performed by Guidoboni et
al. (1994) who distinguished between two separate events.
The first was a destructive earthquake that hit Cyzicus on
6 September 543, but there is very weak evidence for tsunami
occurrence associated with the earthquake. The second event
was a destructive sea wave taking place in 544/545 and
flooding three coastal zones, two of today’s Bulgarian coasts
at the Black Sea and one at Thrace; namely at Odessus,
later Tiveriopolis, and today’s Varna; Dionysopolis, today
Balchik, situated 20 km to the north of Varna; Aphrodisium,
situated on the Thracian Peninsula at the Xeros (today
Saros) Bay, Northeast Aegean Sea (Fig. 1). In fact,
Theophanes (224) reported that “In this year [544/545] the
sea advanced on Thrace by four miles[ca. 6 km] and covered
it in the territories of Odessus and Dionysopolis and also
Aphrodisium. Many were drowned in the waters. By
God’s command the sea then retreated to its own place”
(English translation by Guidoboni et al., 1994). The
descriptions found in Cedrenus (657) are similar; he placed
the event again in 544/545 but Glykas (269) placed it in 557.
Malalas (481) mentioned only briefly a destructive sea wave.

FWIW

Some possible sources for historical comet info (from _http://michaelsheiser.com/UFOReligions/2011/04/appreciative-but-not-amazed-by-wonders-in-the-sky/, which has links to the first two papers):

Richard Stothers, “Unidentified Flying Objects in Classical Antiquity,” The Classical Journal 103:1 (2007): 79-92

Richard G. Wittmann, “Flying Saucers or Flying Shields,” The Classical Journal 63:5 (1968): 223-226

Anthony Barrett, “Observations of Comets in Greek and Roman Sources Before AD 410,” Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada 72 (1978): 81-106

Yi-Long Huang, “The Chinese ‘Candle Star’ of 76 BC,” Observatory 107 (1987): 213-217

Franklin Krauss, An Interpretation of the Omens, Portents, and Prodigies Recorded by Livy, Tacitus, and Suetonius (Philadelphia: 1930)

John T. Ramsey, “A Descriptive Catalogue of Greco-Roman Comets from 500 BC to AD 400,” Syllecta Classica 17 (2006): 1-242

Justin D. Shove and Alan Fletcher, Chronology of Eclipses and Comets AD 1-1000 (Suffolk, 1984)

Andrew Solow, “On Celestial Events, Auroral Activity, and the Solar Cycle in Classical Antiquity,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters 232 (2005): 67-70

Zadig, excellent job!

On the 955 event from the Saxon history, I read:

(46)
As a consequence of this defeat, there was great panic, and Saxony was filled with fear for the king and his army. Moreover some unusual portents terrified our people. Churches in a number of places were struck by a fierce tempest, which filled those who were watching and listening with great horror, and clergy of both sexes perished from lightening bolts. Many other horrible things happened at this time, or are said to have done, but because of this [that these may only be rumour] we shall omit them.

You should probably also include the "defeat", whatever it was as a separate entry.

Also, this storm description is puzzling. It's almost like targeted destruction is being described and there were "observers" who were not affected ... so that's kinda not like a normal storm. It seems more like a tornado... by why "in a number of places"? Also, the lightning bolts... I wonder if those were actually "thunderbolts" or flaming stones of some sort?

I've added some more sub-categories to try to cover things that may come up but nothing quite seems to fit this business here. I mean, was it celestial or environmental? A real "storm" with lightning, or a "tempest" in some other sense? Or a tornado? Or series of tornadoes?

This is where trying to find out what the original words that were translated as "tempest" and "lightning" would be handy.

Laura said:
I've added some more sub-categories to try to cover things that may come up but nothing quite seems to fit this business here.

Thanks for that, I was stressing on where to put famine or sacks when they were not found.

I also noticed there's two "eclipses" under Celestial; one is caplizated and other is not.

Okay, you all now got 85183 modern city names and 43001 ancient location names with GPS coordinates at your fingertips! (see attachment)

When you start to type in "Location Past" or "Location Present" the following will happen:
* on the right side a list is opened showing locations which have been entered before. Check this to avoid spelling mistakes.
* on the left side a list is opened showing matching locations from the catalog.
- for modern locations you see the city name, state name and country name and the GPS coordinates.
- for ancient locations you see more info: transcribed name, original name, language, a location type, description, time periods, time range, GPS coordinates and a link to the Pleiades project -- you will see a zoomable map there and it contains a bit more info.
* when you click on the location name, the name and GPS coordinates will be copied over into your fields

Some GPS coordinates have (unlocated) or (rough) as postfix. If this is the case, then the GPS coordinates are likely not correct. You then would have to either delete them (the safer way) or find the correct coordinates yourself.

If you only have rough locations, e.g. "Germany" or "Greece", then I would leave the GPS coordinates empty. We later can decide if we put generic GPS coordinates for that.

Time periods for locations are abbreviated as such:

A ... Archaic (Greco-Roman; 750-550 BCE/BC)
C ... Classical (Greco-Roman; 550 BC-330 BC)
H ... Hellenistic Greek, Roman Republic (330 BC-30 BC)
R ... Roman, early Empire (30 BC-AD 300)
L ... Late Antique (AD 300-AD 640)

Attachments

• Selection_022.jpg
    Selection_022.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 158

Just to note that I will also take Procopius as his period overlap with Zosimus (both are in Greek). I already inputted the former about the sack of Rome (410) into the database.

Before I input any data I have a couple of questions:

- Can I include multiple locations in one entry separating them with a comma?

- I don't have a page number but I can give a chapter number, where can I add it?

- If the text quote is very long, should I just copy the very essential parts or is it best to include the whole paragraph(s)?

Laura said:
Zadig, excellent job!

On the 955 event from the Saxon history, I read:

(46)
As a consequence of this defeat, there was great panic, and Saxony was filled with fear for the king and his army. Moreover some unusual portents terrified our people. Churches in a number of places were struck by a fierce tempest, which filled those who were watching and listening with great horror, and clergy of both sexes perished from lightening bolts. Many other horrible things happened at this time, or are said to have done, but because of this [that these may only be rumour] we shall omit them.

You should probably also include the "defeat", whatever it was as a separate entry.

Also, this storm description is puzzling. It's almost like targeted destruction is being described and there were "observers" who were not affected ... so that's kinda not like a normal storm. It seems more like a tornado... by why "in a number of places"? Also, the lightning bolts... I wonder if those were actually "thunderbolts" or flaming stones of some sort?

I've added some more sub-categories to try to cover things that may come up but nothing quite seems to fit this business here. I mean, was it celestial or environmental? A real "storm" with lightning, or a "tempest" in some other sense? Or a tornado? Or series of tornadoes?

This is where trying to find out what the original words that were translated as "tempest" and "lightning" would be handy.

This is the latin text of this event:
XLVI. De portentis quae interim acciderunt.

Ingens interea pavor omnem Saxoniam trepidam pro rege et exercitu eius pro hac re adversa invasit. [127] Terrebant nos preterea portenta inusitata. Templa denique plerisque in locis tempestate valida concussa visentibus et audientibus horrorem nimium incussere; utriusque sexus sacerdotes ictu fulminis (lightening) interierunt, et alia multa illo tempore contigerunt dictu horrenda et propterea nobis pretereunda.

And this is the description of the defeat:
(45)
While these events were taking place in Bavaria, a number of conflicts took place against the barbarians under the leadership of Dietrich. He was attempting to capture a certain town of theirs, and had driven his opponents back to the main gate, forcing them back within the walls. He seized and burned the town, and slew or made prisoner all those who were outside the walls. After the fire had eventually died down, he set off on his return. Half of his soldiers had crossed a marsh that lay close to the town, but when the Slavs saw our men on a narrow path where, because of the difficulty of the place, there had neither the forces to fight nor anywhere to which they could retreat, they attacked them from the rear, setting up a great uproar. Our men fled shamefully, and some fifty of them were killed.

I am not too sure if these were real portent descriptions or some "sort of decoration / ornament (???) :/". They sort of stick out and do not really fit to the surrounding text. (Something like: Because of this or that event there has to be that punishment. Or there were this or that portent, which announces this or that event beforehand.)

Back
Top Bottom