Historical Events Database - History

Re: Historical Events Database

I'm meeting Zadig's entries on Chronicle of the Fall and it seems they are still talking of the same event... I deleted the following entry of Fire in the Sky under Celestial from 503:

In the same year another sign, like [a spear] was visible in the sky.(Zuqnin)

It seems to be referring to the same event "Spear, Broomstar". I applied a 3 year duration/uncertainty to my entry on 500 instead.

Possibility of Being said:
I came across a book that perhaps can be helpful. It's "A general chronological history of the air, weather, seasons, meteors, &c. in sundry places and different times; more particularly for the space of 250 years; together with some of their most remarkable effects on animal (especially human) bodies and vegetables" by Thomas Short, published in 1749.

http://books.google.fr/books?hl=fr&id=hTMqAAAAYAAJ&q=vegetable#v=onepage&q&f=false

Christopher Chatfield

From I could gather, his work is fully accepted by some historians and taken with a grain of salt by others. His descriptions are detailed though it seems not all sources are revealed. A little problem is his way of dating. He uses two systems: A.M. (Anno Mundi, from the day of Creation) and then he switches to A.C. which I think means "After Christ", but after comparing several events I figured out that the calendar starts in 4 B.C. That means that to have an AD year you need to subtract 4 years from his date.

For the BC era he uses some ancient sources and the Bible, AD era starts on page 50 and I think at least some of his entries look interesting. First volume ends on the year 1717 so less than a half of it could be of interest to us. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a PDF file. FWIW.

For what its worth, I am including the excel file with the compilation from GNP wesbite.

I looked at his sources. it is in the tot_srce_grp worksheet. I see some books he extensively quoted for the period we are interested.

1. Mallet, R. A Third report on the facts of earthquake phenomena, Report of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, 22nd Meeting, 1852 :
this is available at _http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/46636#page/70/mode/2up . Best way to read it is download it as pdf and see after page 71. titled " catalogue of recorded earthquakes from 1606 BC to A.D 1850 " mentioned in tabular form with ancient sources in the last column.
Not sure how much weight can be given to this list.

2. C.E. Britton, A Meteorological Chronology to AD 1450. Geophysical Memoir, 8, 70, 1937: This one I couldn't find it any where on the net. only available in a university library for which I don't have access. He has 150 data points from this 170 page book. Probably this book is like the above.

3. Greg, R.P. 'A Catalogue of Meteorites and Fireballs from AD 2 to AD 1860', Report of the British Association, 1860 : R.P Greg 's website is here, _http://www.meteoritehistory.info/UKIRELAND/CAT1.HTM . it looks again the listing with no source. Not useful

4. Holinshed, R. Chronicles of England, Scotland and Ireland. London, 1808 : found one source, but the OCR conversion is not good to proceed further.
_http://archive.org/stream/holinshedschroni06holi/holinshedschroni06holi_djvu.txt

5. D. C. Yeomans. Comets. Wiley, 1992 : This guys is from NASA's JPL and couldn't find the book on the net

Attachments

• gnp_data.xls
    587 KB · Views: 7

dirgni (don't know who that is):

On your mountain that "spat flames", there is no volcano in that region so it should not be listed as a volcanic eruption. I changed it to Unusual Conflagration. It could have been meteor/asteroid fragment impacts and it will help us to NOT lose its importance by distinguishing it from a volcano.

On the dimming of the sun event, I changed it to a dust/ash veil event from "atmospheric phenomenon." The "reddish light" could have been from the color of the dust.

On the flood event associated with the above, I changed the keywords to "Flood Following Comet" so as to be more search-useful.

I changed the cattle pestilence from "animal prodigies" to "mass death/pestilence" and left the keyword designation of "cattle pestilence."

An animal prodigy would be strange behavior of animals, unusual births of animals that were often reported as prodigies.

Just so everyone knows: PRODIGY: an amazing or unusual thing, especially one out of the ordinary course of nature. "omens and prodigies abound in Livy's work"

I just posted the first Julius Obsequens entry in the database

1. Consulship of Lucius Scipio and Gaius Laelius - BC 190
The temple of Juno Lucina was struck by lightning in such a way that the gable and the doors were damaged. In neighbouring towns many things were struck by lightning. At Nursia stormclouds gathered from a clear sky, and two persons were killed. At tusculum there was a shower of earth. A mule at Reate produced a colt. A day of prayer was observed by ten boys with living fathers and mothers, and as many girls. (Livy XXXVII. iii 2-6)

Laura's notes:
The words fulmine ictum are used for "struck by lightning". However, fulmine can mean more than just lightning; it is a "bolt" which could be a solid flaming object. This passage could very well be a description of meteor/comet fragment strikes. That becomes more likely when you consider "shower of earth."

fulmen (“lightning which strikes and sets on fire, thunderbolt”)

lightning
thunderbolt - which in many descriptions is clearly NOT lightning.

flash, lighten, glitter, gleam, glare, glisten, shine.

I put this as 5 different entries. Could you check and see if it is OK, including the keywords? I just did it as a test to see if I know what I'm doing when it comes to making entries. But I can continue with Julius Obsequens, if you want me to.

Laura said:
dirgni (don't know who that is):

On your mountain that "spat flames", there is no volcano in that region so it should not be listed as a volcanic eruption. I changed it to Unusual Conflagration. It could have been meteor/asteroid fragment impacts and it will help us to NOT lose its importance by distinguishing it from a volcano.

On the dimming of the sun event, I changed it to a dust/ash veil event from "atmospheric phenomenon." The "reddish light" could have been from the color of the dust.

On the flood event associated with the above, I changed the keywords to "Flood Following Comet" so as to be more search-useful.

I changed the cattle pestilence from "animal prodigies" to "mass death/pestilence" and left the keyword designation of "cattle pestilence."

An animal prodigy would be strange behavior of animals, unusual births of animals that were often reported as prodigies.

Just so everyone knows: PRODIGY: an amazing or unusual thing, especially one out of the ordinary course of nature. "omens and prodigies abound in Livy's work"

Thank you for reviewing and updating my entries. English is not my native language. Therefore I sometimes missing/misinterpret something. :-[

Dirgni, Seekintruth, it looks like both of you are breaking things down TOO far and making more work for yourselves and me.

Dirgni: The severe storm that delivered a giant hailstone does NOT need to be listed as two events, storm and hailstone. Simple "severe storm" and "giant hail" in keywords is sufficient.

Seekintruth: you had the "lightning from a clear sky" twice. I changed the keywords to give you an example of what is needed.

Here's the text:

First EVENT: The temple of Juno Lucina was struck by lightning in such a way that the gable and the doors were damaged.

I changed this to a plasma event because it is uncertain. It could have been JUST lightning, in which case it is STILL a plasma event. OR it could have been a "thunderbolt". I put thunderbolt in the keywords as a reminder.

SECOND EVENT: In neighbouring towns many things were struck by lightning. At Nursia stormclouds gathered from a clear sky, and two persons were killed. (I already entered "Two Killed") You don't need a separate entry for the first sentence and the second. They are the same thing.)

THIRD ITEM: At tusculum there was a shower of earth. That's okay

FOURTH ITEM: A mule at Reate produced a colt. (Animal Prodigy)

FIFTH ITEM: A day of prayer was observed by ten boys with living fathers and mothers, and as many girls. (Livy XXXVII. iii 2-6) (The reason I want to include these as separate entries under "Expiation" is because, SOMETIMES, human sacrifice was resorted to on a large scale! It is evidence of the fearful state of the population. )

OK, Laura, I'll check tomorrow how you did the edits. I didn't see "Expiation" as a subcategory. I'll look more closely tomorrow.

Gaby said:
I see. The entries of 498 are from Michael the Syrian and the ones from 500 are from Zuqnin. The only repeating event in both accounts are the "Spear of War", "Broom of Perdition". So I count a total of 10 entries for this event:

I inserted another entry for Earthquakes (500 AD with 2 years uncertainty) which were reported for this event in order to cover Rhodes, Ptolemais, Tyre, and Sidon.

Neocaesarea was also affected, but I noticed Zadig made an entry for it from Theophanes the Confessor dated for 503. On the notes he added this was that the same earthquake that affected Nicopolis.

From the same event, I deleted 2 entries from Agapius of Hierapolis as I don't see it adds anything new:

In year 11 of the reign of Anastasius, in the country of the Greeks there was a cruel famine and it came from many locusts which devastated all their harvests. The same year, there was a violent earthquake.

It is from the year 503 and it was under Animal Prodigies, and Famine. I already covered that with Insect Infestation and Famine.

I'll continue tomorrow with the battles, which I think zadiussky might have already covered. There is also Rhodes earthquake reported again from that event from another source (entered by zadiussky), I'll double check to see if this is the case so we can remain with only one report.

Colored clickable map!

roman-empire-time-of-christ.jpg

Big version at _http://www.bible-history.com/maps/romanempire/

:)

SeekinTruth said:
OK, Laura, I'll check tomorrow how you did the edits. I didn't see "Expiation" as a subcategory. I'll look more closely tomorrow.

It's in "society". Familiarize yourself with the categories and if you have questions, ask!

Meanwhile, I'm going through and making corrections and fixing things and I see quite a few things that should have multiple entries.

This is 525 AD and you'll see that it is a difficult text to break down into its constituent parts. This is the one that John Lewis believes was a Tunguska like event. Question is, how do we produce enough entries to make it spike in the database? That is our task:

ONE: In the seventh year of Justin… Antioch the Great was also overthrown, (this being) its fifth collapse, at the seventh hour of the day. (It was) a terrible and distressing collapse, impossible for anyone to recount. Such was the violent and harsh disaster, which was (sent) from heaven, that fire set alight and consumed those who had escaped from the terrible vehemence of the cataclysm of the earthquake and the collapse: the sparks flew and set fire to everything on which they settled. (Okay, Celestial, Fire in the Sky with "Fire From Heaven" in the keywords.)

TWO: The earth itself from below, from within the soil, surged, seethed and burned everything which was there. Thus the foundations as well, together with all the storeys above them, were lifted up, heaved up and down and burst apart, collapsed, fell and burned with fire. (Geology ->Earthquake with "Surging, Heaving, Burning Earth" in the keywords.)

THREE: Those who had saved themselves (so far) and (now) tried to escape were met by fire, which set them alight, and burnt them up. They burned like wood and the tongues of flame blazed terribly and grievously by (God’s) mighty wrath. (Society, Mass Death, with Fire From Heaven in the keywords.)

FOUR: And now, like rain from the sky, flames rained down and so the whole city blazed like a burning furnace, while it collapsed completely, fell, was ruined and burnt with fire, except only for a few hours which remained at the foot of the mountain above (the city), although even these were damaged and ready to fall. Every day these too collapsed (one by one), setting fire to those which (still remained. (In the end) no house or church or building of any kind remained, not even the garden fences, which had not be torn asunder or damaged, or had not disintegrated and fallen. The rest burned, crumbled away and became like an extended putrefaction. And underground the earth seethed and humid dust rose up. (Environment -> Conflagration Keywords: Rain of Fire)

FIVE: The odour of a stinking sea and (something) like watery moisture appeared, so that also sea drops rose with the bubbling dust. (Geological -> Outgassing Keywords: Stinking, Bubbling Sea)

Still the Great Church, which had been built by Constantine the Victorious, (and) about which it was said that there was nothing comparable in the whole Roman empire, remained, cracked, yet still standing. (But) suddenly on the seventh day it too caught fire from top to bottom, and it fell and crumbled away on the ground. So (it was with) other churches as well. Although they were saved from the collapse in the earthquake, (We know this was no ordinary earthquake!) in the end suddenly they burnt with fire by (God’s) great wrath and were razed to the foundations. (Many) souls perished and were destroyed in this city of Antioch, which became like “the wine press of wrath” to all its inhabitants, as John of Antioch wrote. [John Malalas] He (also) wrote this about (the city): how those who were (still) alive could count those who had died and were disinterred and (otherwise) found. They amounted to 250,000. …

SIX:On the third day after the collapse which was Sunday, a cross of light appeared in the sky in the western quarter. All who remained alive saw (it) and were moved and cried Kyrie eleison. They kept watching it for about one hour and then it was covered by clouds, while everybody was astounded. (Here, I'm not certain. Were they seeing a comet, a member of group, one of which destroyed Antioch? OR, were they seeing a mushroom cloud in the distance from another impact? Well, it seems like a comet, so we better stick with that. If it impacted somewhere else, perhaps it will show up in a different record. Keyword: Cross of Light)

SEVEN:Thereafter God’s mercy and grace were shown, in that 30 and 40 days after (the earthquake) people were found (still) alive – men, women, youths and children – amidst all that burning and flaming fire, so that all the people were astonished and praised the abundant mercy of God, who does not withhold His grace from His creation. (Yet), there were earthquakes all these days and nights for one year and a half, constantly, all the time. … (Should probably make a separate earthquake entry for this remark noting that it lasted 18 months. Keywords: Antioch Aftershocks)

EIGHT:Seleucia in Syria and Daphne, which is above Antioch, were overthrown and destroyed for 20 miles in length and breadth, and were also (a cause of) terror to those who saw it, (although) not (because of) fire but only because of the earthquake. (Each of these named cities will need an earthquake entry.}

I added pagination for the main listing, since the list grew quite large. Also added a change history listing (who changed what and when), you can see it on the bottom of the input form.

Gaby said:
I'll continue tomorrow with the battles, which I think zadiussky might have already covered. There is also Rhodes earthquake reported again from that event from another source (entered by zadiussky), I'll double check to see if this is the case so we can remain with only one report.

I inputted Crete instead of Rhodes since it was mentioned, but it covered a big area. Of that, Laura told me to have both Earthquake and Tsunami entries of the same information to give it weight - if anyone have more sources/eye-witness accounts, you can add more to them.

I finished reading Zachariah of Mitylene (The Syriac Chronicle), of which I added a few events to the database (some has been added to the existing entries). After reading the latest posts here, I'll go back to read this again to weed out anything more closely, but I'll be focusing religiously on Zosimus tomorrow to find any phenomena with that in mind - I'll try to avoid irrelevant battles.

The database is getting pretty good.

I finished Theophanes and Agapius. I have more than 100 entries, so if I do it alone it will take a lot of time.

So, if someone can help me, it would be cool.

Periods covered: 400 – 468 AD and 559 – 813 AD.

I included the events from Chronicle of the Fall not already included in the database, i.e. 559-610 AD.

See attached.

Attachments

• Chronology - 400-813 AD.docx
    48.2 KB · Views: 18

Laura said:
Dirgni, Seekintruth, it looks like both of you are breaking things down TOO far and making more work for yourselves and me.

Dirgni: The severe storm that delivered a giant hailstone does NOT need to be listed as two events, storm and hailstone. Simple "severe storm" and "giant hail" in keywords is sufficient.

Seekintruth: you had the "lightning from a clear sky" twice. I changed the keywords to give you an example of what is needed.

Here's the text:

First EVENT: The temple of Juno Lucina was struck by lightning in such a way that the gable and the doors were damaged.

I changed this to a plasma event because it is uncertain. It could have been JUST lightning, in which case it is STILL a plasma event. OR it could have been a "thunderbolt". I put thunderbolt in the keywords as a reminder.

SECOND EVENT: In neighbouring towns many things were struck by lightning. At Nursia stormclouds gathered from a clear sky, and two persons were killed. (I already entered "Two Killed") You don't need a separate entry for the first sentence and the second. They are the same thing.)

THIRD ITEM: At tusculum there was a shower of earth. That's okay

FOURTH ITEM: A mule at Reate produced a colt. (Animal Prodigy)

FIFTH ITEM: A day of prayer was observed by ten boys with living fathers and mothers, and as many girls. (Livy XXXVII. iii 2-6) (The reason I want to include these as separate entries under "Expiation" is because, SOMETIMES, human sacrifice was resorted to on a large scale! It is evidence of the fearful state of the population. )

Laura said:
SeekinTruth said:
It's in "society". Familiarize yourself with the categories and if you have questions, ask!

OK, having checked the database this morning, I only see 4 entries. There's no entry under Society --> Expiation. Do you want me to enter that as a 5th entry, as well? If yes,what would the Keywords be? I was thinking of Ritual Human Sacrifice, but there's no indication in that item at all to make that conclusion with any confidence.

I missed the editing time window for the post above. Another thing that is difficult for me to figure out for the possible Expiation entry is where is the location - Rome, Reate, all surround areas? Even if this will not end up as an entry, it'll help me, and maybe others, in figuring these things out later. Also this particular case may be because it's being taken from the Atmospheric Signs and Disasters thread where Laura extracted from the sources and posted these items. So I don't know how the text was originally, i.e. continuous or condensed from several paragraphs, etc.

But, in any case, this can potentially be illustrative of how to approach the breaking down of items, figuring out location, etc.

Back
Top Bottom