Historical Events Database - History

Re: Historical Events Database

I came across a book that perhaps can be helpful. It's "A general chronological history of the air, weather, seasons, meteors, &c. in sundry places and different times; more particularly for the space of 250 years; together with some of their most remarkable effects on animal (especially human) bodies and vegetables" by Thomas Short, published in 1749.

http://books.google.fr/books?hl=fr&id=hTMqAAAAYAAJ&q=vegetable#v=onepage&q&f=false

Christopher Chatfield mentions T. Short here:
http://www.phenomena.org.uk/page93/page95/page95.html
The third century A.D. was a period of fierce winters and eerie portents in Britain, if we are to believe Dr. Short and John Seller, who were both reluctant to divulge their sources, if any. Hail 'bigger than duck's eggs' fell in A.D. 207, and in A.D. 264 hailstones fell weighing over a pound. In the year A.D. 220, there was a frost in Britain lasting five months. This followed the winter of A.D. 134, when the Thames was frozen for two months, and the three-month frost of A.D. 173, when deep snow lay for 13 weeks and was followed by famine. All these winters are on the authority of Dr. Short, who is the first to mention them. C. E. Britton, while compiling A Meteorological Chronology to A.D. 1450, asked the readers of the Royal Meteorological Society journal if they knew of any earlier reference to these severe winters. He received no reply.
I'm not sure how much of that book Chatfield used for his compilation.

Short is also mentioned in Catastrophe: An Investigation into the Origins of the Modern World by David Keys when talking about the other book, "Meteorological Chronology to A.D. 1450" by Charles Ernest Britton, 1939:

I examined all sixty British and near Continental weather entries for the 480-650 period in the [Britton's book] ... For the period his main source was a survey compiled ... by Dr. Thomas Short ... the work appears to to make use of many medieval sources, some of which are presumably now lost. On balance, I suspect that the six-century entries derived form Short's work are genuine, because many of them are concentrated around the 535-555 period -- the precise time when world climate is known to have been in an unstable condition. Britton, however, unaware of the wider international evidence, naturally thought they must be fictitious. In the introduction to his chronology, Britton says that Short spent fifteen years researching and that 'his labour in hunting down obscure sources must have been prodigious'."

From I could gather, his work is fully accepted by some historians and taken with a grain of salt by others. His descriptions are detailed though it seems not all sources are revealed. A little problem is his way of dating. He uses two systems: A.M. (Anno Mundi, from the day of Creation) and then he switches to A.C. which I think means "After Christ", but after comparing several events I figured out that the calendar starts in 4 B.C. That means that to have an AD year you need to subtract 4 years from his date.

For the BC era he uses some ancient sources and the Bible, AD era starts on page 50 and I think at least some of his entries look interesting. First volume ends on the year 1717 so less than a half of it could be of interest to us. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a PDF file. FWIW.

Zadig:

WHEN the disaster was reported to Alexander, who was seriously ill either from despondency or the unfamiliar air, he fell into despair. The rest of the army angrily denounced the emperor because the invading army had been destroyed as a result of his failure to carry out the plans faithfully agreed upon. And now Alexander refused to endure his indisposition and the stifling air any longer. The entire army was sick and the troops from Illyricum especially were seriously ill and dying, being accustomed to moist, cool air and to more food than they were being issued. Eager to set out for Antioch, Alexander ordered the army in Media to proceed to that city. This army, in its advance, was almost totally destroyed in the mountains; a great many soldiers suffered mutilation in the frigid country, and only a handful of the large number of troops who started the march managed to reach Antioch. The emperor led his own large force to that city, and many of them perished too; so the affair brought the greatest discontent to the army and the greatest dishonor to Alexander,
who was betrayed by bad luck and bad judgment. Of the three armies into which he had divided his total force, the greater part was lost by various misfortunes—disease, war, and cold.

I don't think that this counts as a true environmental disaster. It's just a bunch of idiot warmongers dying because of a psychopathic leader. If you DID keep it, I would just call it a War. Keywords: Army Lost, Disease, Cold

Note that it is not really a Pestilence. We HAVE TO BE CAREFUL HERE. GIGO.

Laura said:
Zadig:

WHEN the disaster was reported to Alexander, who was seriously ill either from despondency or the unfamiliar air, he fell into despair. The rest of the army angrily denounced the emperor because the invading army had been destroyed as a result of his failure to carry out the plans faithfully agreed upon. And now Alexander refused to endure his indisposition and the stifling air any longer. The entire army was sick and the troops from Illyricum especially were seriously ill and dying, being accustomed to moist, cool air and to more food than they were being issued. Eager to set out for Antioch, Alexander ordered the army in Media to proceed to that city. This army, in its advance, was almost totally destroyed in the mountains; a great many soldiers suffered mutilation in the frigid country, and only a handful of the large number of troops who started the march managed to reach Antioch. The emperor led his own large force to that city, and many of them perished too; so the affair brought the greatest discontent to the army and the greatest dishonor to Alexander,
who was betrayed by bad luck and bad judgment. Of the three armies into which he had divided his total force, the greater part was lost by various misfortunes—disease, war, and cold.

I don't think that this counts as a true environmental disaster. It's just a bunch of idiot warmongers dying because of a psychopathic leader. If you DID keep it, I would just call it a War. Keywords: Army Lost, Disease, Cold

Note that it is not really a Pestilence. We HAVE TO BE CAREFUL HERE. GIGO.

Hmm, I've got that same quote in one of my entries #343 but I have it under Society/War and used the following keywords: Army, Disease, Food Shortage. I got it from Herodian's History of The Roman Empire.

Eboard10 said:
Hmm, I've got that same quote in one of my entries #343 but I have it under Society/War and used the following keywords: Army, Disease, Food Shortage. I got it from Herodian's History of The Roman Empire.

Sorry, it wasn't Zadig, it was you, Eboard! And I changed the keywords.

My eyes are screwy these days.

Meanwhile, Gaby's got a juicy one going on right now. She oughta get several entries out of that one!

I guess that a bunch of grasshoppers devastating crops would be under the keyword "Flora Out of Place". You all let me know if we are putting those under something else...

Laura said:
Eboard10 said:

Sorry, it wasn't Zadig, it was you, Eboard! And I changed the keywords.

My eyes are screwy these days.

Meanwhile, Gaby's got a juicy one going on right now. She oughta get several entries out of that one!

Makes sense. I wasn't sure whether to include it as I couldn't find any reference to cometary sighting or something unusual happening.

There's another quote I added which I'd like some feedback on which I put under Sack or Destruction of City:

The bandits (lead by Maternus) roamed over all Gaul and Spain, attacking the largest cities; a few of these they burned, but the rest they abandoned after sacking them

The sentence is very vague and doesn't seem to contain any valuable information. However, this event which occurs around 185-187 AD precedes and is almost concurrent with a series of events that hit Italy (possibly other regions too) including comets, earthquake, famine, plague and a great fire in Rome. (~187-192 AD)

I counted 31 of your recent entries that doesn't have source citations.

If you talk about about Zuqnin and Malalas, it's from The Chronicle of the Fall by Laura, and there is only the name of the author.

While searching for facts around the works of Flavius Josephus I noticed a cluster of rebellions, revolutions and uprisings against Rome in the years 73 BCE - 75 CE. So I went for a list, which I found here: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_revolutions_and_rebellions

That page lists on the bottom under the header "See also" a further fourteen (14) other lists of a comparable nature -- which I haven't looked at yet.

As we seem to operate from the assumption that this type of events might be 'attractors' for celestial counter measures so to speak, and/or vice versa I was wondering whether these specific events could constitute an easy entrance for the database time line to find mixed clusters of both.

I also think that some of those rebellions could've been 'disguised' in the history books as natural calamities and maybe the other way around as well.

Just an idea, fwiw.

Gaby said:
I guess that a bunch of grasshoppers devastating crops would be under the keyword "Flora Out of Place". You all let me know if we are putting those under something else...

I'll create a sub-category for that. How about Insect Invasion or Infestation or Plague?

Zadig said:

If you talk about about Zuqnin and Malalas, it's from The Chronicle of the Fall by Laura, and there is only the name of the author.

I think I've got that info in footnotes early in the document.

Eboard10 said:
There's another quote I added which I'd like some feedback on which I put under Sack or Destruction of City:

The bandits (lead by Maternus) roamed over all Gaul and Spain, attacking the largest cities; a few of these they burned, but the rest they abandoned after sacking them

The sentence is very vague and doesn't seem to contain any valuable information. However, this event which occurs around 185-187 AD precedes and is almost concurrent with a series of events that hit Italy (possibly other regions too) including comets, earthquake, famine, plague and a great fire in Rome. (~187-192 AD)

Yeah, I think we can keep that under "sacking". Social unrest is part of the picture. And we want to keep our categories as few as possible.

Laura said:
Gaby said:

I'll create a sub-category for that. How about Insect Invasion or Infestation or Plague?

I think Insect Invasion is a good solution. Infestation and plague could be confused with diseases.

Laura said:
Zadig said:

I think I've got that info in footnotes early in the document.

I'm checking and adding the footnotes and also original sources to add publisher and stuff, so I can fix those as I go.

When the Gregory of Tours stuff gets put in, I think we'll put that whole thing from Paul the Deacon in but I want to try to sort out the time. I don't believe PtD was being very honest, and I don't think that the experts that assigned the dates had a clue about what they were dealing with there.

I skipped forward in The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Haricarnassus to see if the volume of Spelman's translation goes into the later books. Doesn't seem to, but about 2/3 way in, the last time I can find at the top of alternating pages just says Book 2 and then a bit further stops writing Book and Chapter all together. Don't know what to think, if I'm wasting my time with this, at least in terms of the database? If I were to continue where I stopped reading last night, it would be page 56 of DH Book 1 Chapter 1 and p. 118 of the PDF (because of the prefaces). If this PDF book is mainly dealing with the legendary period of Rome, it's not going to have much to enter into the database. I can still search for DH's later books of Roman Antiquities (also maybe on Amazon Kindle) and see what comes up.

If there's other things I can start entering into the database meanwhile, like the following:

Laura said:
Eboard10 said:
Done reading Herodian, will add the last entries this evening. I think I'll start looking into Dio Cassius' Roman History, Books 61-70 which cover the same period as Herodian's History of the Roman Empire, unless there are more urgent books to go through from a different time period?

Work on Julius Obsequens starting here:

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,32532.msg444409.html#msg444409

I've already included the additional text bits from Livy when referenced.

As you will see, nearly all of them are multiple entries. You can include my notes on them as well.

...let me know (or anything else). I would also get some practice entering things into the database so I'd be more confident making entries from other books/materials later.

Back
Top Bottom