Holograms and Alien Invasion

Vulcan59 said:
Just noticed that SOTT net also has an article on the subject. :)

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/217778-J-Pop-Star-and-3-D-Hologram-Hatsune-Miku-Sells-Out-Stadiums

Thanks Vulcan :)

Hmmm I'm a huge fan of Hatsune Miku :P

So when I saw this a few months a go (shown to me by my friend) I was actually pretty into it and thought it was really cool. I guess I need to really think about the cause of the attraction because you all mention some interesting things.

Though seeing the concert did remind me of the movie Simone that I saw sometime back.

I suppose I am the only one geeking out over this. I mean yeah, they are totally going to take over the world and stuff, so I say we welcome our vocaloid overlords with the praise and adulation they deserve. Not.

But doesn't anyone feel kind of awed, I mean when I was a kid I saw movies with holograms, and thought, wow, that's really cool, and now there it is, real, in a virtual real sense. I don't know, I just kind of feel like someone who grew up before movie cameras were invented and seeing a film for the first time. Yeah, I know, it's a harbinger of doom, but still, as a geek, this is totally AWESOME!!!

Atreides said:
But doesn't anyone feel kind of awed, I mean when I was a kid I saw movies with holograms, and thought, wow, that's really cool, and now there it is, real, in a virtual real sense. I don't know, I just kind of feel like someone who grew up before movie cameras were invented and seeing a film for the first time. Yeah, I know, it's a harbinger of doom, but still, as a geek, this is totally AWESOME!!!

You're definitely not the only one Atreides, as I said above- when I saw it the first time I was totally awe struck, and actually wished I could attend a concert :-[

Whether it is awesome or awful will depend on who is using the technology and what it is used for, of course.

Gertrudes said:
These were my thoughts as well. What would be its purpose?

Perhaps to create the ultimate political or religious character to inspire the awe and worship of the masses? Someone the biblical prophesies supposedly refer to as the 'beast' who cannot be killed...and who, therefore, must be divine or divinely inspired and capable of miracles (another hologram)?

As far as I'm concerned, the "President" is just like a "front man" in a popular band, anyway. Plus, there is enough psychological information on individual and herd control that would be useful for programming a character, along with the visual representations. An actual physical 'double' can be used anytime a body is needed.

The "face of God" in the clouds? 'Aliens' can be programmed to appear. Alien mother-ships and UFO's could be projected onto an atmospheric layer for confirmation.

In short, the possibilities are endless, OSIT.

On the upside, anyone who invests themselves in a holographic "savior" and then sees a 'glitch' in the projection, is not going to be a happy camper when the trance breaks, and I certainly wouldn't want to be in the way.

Isn't there a transcript that mentions the possibility of a 'glitch' resulting in this kind of consequence?

Deedlet said:
Hmmm I'm a huge fan of Hatsune Miku :P

So when I saw this a few months a go (shown to me by my friend) I was actually pretty into it and thought it was really cool. I guess I need to really think about the cause of the attraction because you all mention some interesting things.

I think there's something pretty cool with it too, but people we see at the show seem to be emotionally very implicated as if the girl was real. This is the danger I see with this new kind of technology: a new easy way to manipulate emotions of beings.

You know it didn't hit me at first but now that I think about it this kinda reminds me of the way my nephew used to respond to Yugiho or Pokemon when he was younger. I remember sitting down and watching one of those cartoons thinking "what the heck is this cartoon all about?" and I couldn't for the life of me understand but my nephew was glued to the tv and he seemed to understand every bit of it. I thought it might be a bit of brainwashing for the kids or something with all the cards and books he made his parents go out and buy him but it's got me wondering now if maybe they've perfected it and adults are responding now too? With the thought of desensitizing adults from the real world it kinda makes me wonder just what the end game could be?

From a geeky hi-tech point of view it's incredible.

My next cyberpunk novel that I'll never write : An evil entity takes over a virtual body and push people to do bad things in return of a virtual promised life somewhere in the IA computer clouds.

I don't get why people are enamoured with virtual characters so much, as in Japan, I really like the kawaii side of things for sure, but it's going too far when people are having strong emotions with non-existing people and very few or none at all with human beings.
Is the dehumanizing of such societies complete ? I would doubt it but I am left to wonder though.

Edit : Maybe it is because some people are just stuck in a specific stage of childhood development, emotionaly speaking, and they can form really strong emotional bonds with fictional characters as they would do with real humans osit.

This is cool!! Real flesh entertainers should use this technology for creating the stages and stuff!!!

EDU

Well the first time I saw this thing, it was very shocked to say the least. In the past I've always been amazed with technology, particularly holographic but over the years my perspective has taken a 180 turn. Since I'm involved in the 3D industry, it's been interesting seeing the development of the "realism". One aspect I've definitely noticed is it's not that its technology that has become more "real", but our life has become much more synthetic. Especially societies idea of woman, where they make themselves more fake (make up, plastic surgery, ideal size on so on). That it's made it easy to make CGI look real. In my opinion, the gap has gone both ways.

This thing about the worship of the virtual is the next logical step in a realm of physical worship. I for one had chills go down my spine when I saw this thing. In fact I had to be reminded of the "cool" factor, where as ten years ago it would have been the other way.
I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old, but I think it was Laura who said it best a while back in another thread, that technology without a moral and ethical purpose, which requires no effort on the user for function will lead to tyranny.

Nienna Eluch said:
Since Asia has not been dumbed down like the U.S., there has to be an alternate plan to keep them from asking questions and seeing the man behind the curtain.

Interesting you mention that because from my experience and observation, Asians in general are much more conforming to the rules of society. Also in general they are much more excepting of newer technology. Maybe its a genetic thing osit.

Guardian said:
This is what happens when a bunch of geeks without girlfriends get together :lol:

Hum, well I know this was meant as a joke, but the sad truth is many men & woman in this world would ditch their real spouse for the fake one that can fulfill their ideal fantasy.

Approaching Infinity said:
I'm just waiting for holographic presidents.

More hollow than Obama. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom