Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT): General information and discussion of Home Units

Yesterday i did my first dive - stayed 20+5+20+5+10 min.
I have to say that i didnt expect to feel so good after only one session - been in such a good mood all day. And i just have this difficult to describe felling of goodness in my body for the lack of better words to explain it.
However in the morning i did wake up with some achines and wierd feeling. I loaded on vit C ALA and NAC - and was okay.

There was some condensation in the chamber although i have the air cooler/dryer attached but it wasnt unbearable. Not sure how it will be in the summer heat.
Do you guys sweat and have condensation in the chamber?
When i did the dive at HBOT spa it was nice and cool in chamber but i think it could be becuse they use nasal canula for oxygen. This was very comfortable. I used nonrebreather mask last night for the first time and this gave me some anxiety which may have caused the sweating but i got used to it and relaxed towards the end.
Well I do not sweat in our chambers, sometimes I have noticed, especially at the beginning of a session, that there can be some condensation on my glasses and the chamber windows, but it does not last long.

Yesterday i did my first dive - stayed 20+5+20+5+10 min.
I have to say that i didnt expect to feel so good after only one session - been in such a good mood all day. And i just have this difficult to describe felling of goodness in my body for the lack of better words to explain it.
However in the morning i did wake up with some achines and wierd feeling. I loaded on vit C ALA and NAC - and was okay.

There was some condensation in the chamber although i have the air cooler/dryer attached but it wasnt unbearable. Not sure how it will be in the summer heat.
Do you guys sweat and have condensation in the chamber?
When i did the dive at HBOT spa it was nice and cool in chamber but i think it could be becuse they use nasal canula for oxygen. This was very comfortable. I used nonrebreather mask last night for the first time and this gave me some anxiety which may have caused the sweating but i got used to it and relaxed towards the end.
Is it not maybe because you used a non-rebreather instead of a nasal cannula that you felt so good after the session?

I happened upon this pretty impressive, HBOT related clip from the Howard Stern show, where Joe Namath is being interviewed (Stern might be hearing about the efficacy of HBOT for the first time, judging by how he listens to Namath's explanation gape-mouthed):

Namath is a famed football player, now in his seventies. He describes having had at least 5 concussions during his career, and noticing mental decline amongst his fellow players in their older years, due to them having also had concussions. This inspired him to have his brain checked with a SPECT scan, which differs from CT and MRI scans, in that it reveals how the brain is functioning, not showing just the structural damage. The results were grim: the whole left hemisphere of his brain was not getting enough blood.

To correct, he first had 40 sessions in a hospital grade HBOT chamber (must have been 2.0 ATA, at least), then a SPECT was taken, which showed new activity happening in the brain. After the next 40 sessions, the scan displayed that his brain was back to normal. He had another 40 dives (120 in total), and the consequent scans have showed that the brain has sustained the results.

His doctor commented:

Dr. Lee Fox, said that after treatment, brain scans started to show new activity.
“The whole area of the brain just came back to life,” Dr. Fox said in an interview.
He was feeling better. He was finding the right words.” In addition, Namath’s sleeping improved.

From the same webpage:
It’s been a year since Namath, 71, had his last oxygen treatment and brain scans show the improvements remain. Namath said his thinking is much clearer and he remembers events with more clarity.

“One of the really great results is that my sleep has improved,” said Namath, a Tequesta resident . “I sleep more soundly and have vivid dreams. I have more energy and strength.”
Super-oxygenated blood is carried throughout the body, promoting the release of growth hormones and helping the body heal.
Cells are regenerated and, in the case of those suffering from traumatic brain injury, new brain tissue is created.

Lastly, go Russia!
“Russia is far ahead of us in this area,” he said. “Currently, 17 indications are approved in the U.S. as opposed to 73 in Russia.”

Notice in this article on espn, Namath is "sold on a dubious treatment -- and wants others to buy in too."

The medical system in the USA sure does hate anything that works and does not involve drugs.

Notice in this article on espn, Namath is "sold on a dubious treatment -- and wants others to buy in too."

The medical system in the USA sure does hate anything that works and does not involve drugs.
David Cifu seems to be the gatekeeper inside the VA system that’s essentially stopping the use of HBOT for veterans with mTBI or PTSD symptoms. He’s received pushback from people who actually research the effects of HBOT. One of the doctors who has sparred with him is Paul Harch. It seems like he’s done his homework on the historical uses of HBOT and what it’s benefits are. One of them being gene expression. So HBOT can upregulate roughly 8,000 genes that are responsible for multiple healing processes inside the body. Here’s the summary of Paul Harch’s work.

It’s definitely possible that the real aversion to HBOT from our medical establishment is the possible upregulation of genes, but my guess would be much of that is coming from 4D STS.

So far, I've done 141 HBOT sessions (one hour at 1.5 ATA). As I had reported in an earlier post after completing the first 60 sessions, the results were quite dramatic - mainly clarity of mind, breathing issues greatly diminishing, and improved short-term memory - and even though the last 81 sessions haven't really been anything as 'dramatic', I have noticed a few things. For one, I've noticed a definite increase in muscle strength. Secondly, I feel like my hearing is actually improving. However, eyesight is somewhat deteriorating, but I'm not at all sure if HBOT has anything to do with that.

For about the first 120 sessions, I was using the original oxygen mask that the unit came with (the non- non-rebreather mask), so I probably wasn't getting as much of the pure oxygen as what the non-rebreather can provide. I had tried the non-rebreather a few times but it didn't seem to work for me. It seemed too restrictive and I couldn't take any real deep breaths, and the bag wouldn't 're-fill' quickly enough for the next breath. But then, last week, I decided to give it another try. It took a couple of days and for some reason I got used to it and now I'm perfectly fine with it. I did notice that the oxygen output level control (on a Macy-Pan) was turned way up above the 10 l/p but when the chamber is compressed it falls down to the 10 l/p mark - right where it should be - and that's probably why the bag re-fills with oxygen in time for the next breath.

So far so good. I'm shooting for 180 sessions, and see what 'happens'...

David Cifu seems to be the gatekeeper inside the VA system that’s essentially stopping the use of HBOT for veterans with mTBI or PTSD symptoms. He’s received pushback from people who actually research the effects of HBOT. One of the doctors who has sparred with him is Paul Harch. It seems like he’s done his homework on the historical uses of HBOT and what it’s benefits are. One of them being gene expression. So HBOT can upregulate roughly 8,000 genes that are responsible for multiple healing processes inside the body. Here’s the summary of Paul Harch’s work.

It’s definitely possible that the real aversion to HBOT from our medical establishment is the possible upregulation of genes, but my guess would be much of that is coming from 4D STS.
Paul Harch M.D. is the author of a book "The Oxygen revolution" and gets a thumbs up from Dr Jason Sonners who wrote "Oxygen under pressure" and was interviewed by Mercola, as a pioneer in HBOT.

Yesterday evening i did a session straight after intense yoga lesson, it was very pleasant. This was my second proper session, if we dont count spending almost 1.5 hours inside while installing the frame (without oxygen mask though) However this morning I am pretty low on energy. Nothing hurts just dont feel very energetic almost low. I didn/t sleep very well last night, took me longer to fall asleep and it wasn't good quality of sleep.
I remember this was being mentioned and was just curious what to expect, does this effect last long or just in the beginning until you get things going. Should I ease off or continue straight with weekly 5 sessions?

This was my second proper session, if we dont count spending almost 1.5 hours inside while installing the frame (without oxygen mask though) However this morning I am pretty low on energy. Nothing hurts just dont feel very energetic almost low. I didn/t sleep very well last night, took me longer to fall asleep and it wasn't good quality of sleep.
I remember this was being mentioned and was just curious what to expect, does this effect last long or just in the beginning until you get things going. Should I ease off or continue straight with weekly 5 sessions?
I think every body has low on energy initially and may take around 10 sessions to go away. HBOT uses body's vitamins and minerals that needs to filled. There are some observations and suggestions in this thread.

I had around 35 sessions. I am chugging along little slow for few weeks. I was taking 2g liposomal capsules few hours before the session and 1g after along with my neuropathy vitamin list ( ALA, B-complex, Magensium, Chromium, alpha-GPC) and multi mineral tablet.

I am not sure whether capsules are less effective compared with what we make at home. I too have feeling that I have to change Vitamin take to fell better. during the process, at some point I stopped taking multi mineral capsule to test whether I am taking too much .

How do we know we have enough of vitamin and mineral replenishment? What type of multi vitamin tables people take

A little bit more about HHP...

Abstract​

It has been proposed that relative changes of oxygen availability, rather than steady-state hypoxic or hyperoxic conditions, play an important role in hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF) transcriptional effects. According to this hypothesis describing the "normobaric oxygen paradox", normoxia following a hyperoxic event is sensed by tissues as an oxygen shortage, upregulating HIF-1 activity. With the aim of confirming, at cellular and at functional level, that normoxia following a hyperoxic event is "interpreted" as a hypoxic event, we report a combination of experiments addressing the effects of an intermittent increase of oxygen concentration on HIF-1 levels and the activity level of specific oxygen-modulated proteins in cultured human umbilical vein endothelial cells and the effects of hemoglobin levels after intermittent breathing of normobaric high (100%) and low (15%) oxygen in vivo in humans. Our experiments confirm that, during recovery after hyperoxia, an increase of HIF expression occurs in human umbilical vein endothelial cells, associated with an increase of matrix metalloproteinases activity. These data suggest that endothelial cells "interpret" the return to normoxia after hyperoxia as a hypoxic stimulus. At functional level, our data show that breathing both 15 and 100% oxygen 30 min every other day for a period of 10 days induces an increase of hemoglobin levels in humans. This effect was enhanced after the cessation of the oxygen breathing. These results indicate that a sudden decrease in tissue oxygen tension after hyperoxia may act as a trigger for erythropoietin synthesis, thus corroborating the hypothesis that "relative" hypoxia is a potent stimulator of HIF-mediated gene expressions.

Another one, note both are "normobaric", but interesting to know I think.

Abstract​

The term "normobaric oxygen paradox" (NOP), describes the response to the return to normoxia after a hyperoxic event, sensed by tissues as oxygen shortage, and resulting in up-regulation of the Hypoxia-inducible factor 1α (HIF-1α) transcription factor activity. The molecular characteristics of this response have not been yet fully characterized. Herein, we report the activation time trend of oxygen-sensitive transcription factors in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) obtained from healthy subjects after one hour of exposure to mild (MH), high (HH) and very high (VHH) hyperoxia, corresponding to 30%, 100%, 140% O2, respectively. Our observations confirm that MH is perceived as a hypoxic stress, characterized by the activation of HIF-1α and Nuclear factor (erythroid-derived 2)-like 2 (NRF2), but not Nuclear Factor kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B cells (NF-κB). Conversely, HH is associated to a progressive loss of NOP response and to an increase in oxidative stress leading to NRF2 and NF-kB activation, accompanied by the synthesis of glutathione (GSH). After VHH, HIF-1α activation is totally absent and oxidative stress response, accompanied by NF-κB activation, is prevalent. Intracellular GSH and Matrix metallopeptidase 9 (MMP-9) plasma levels parallel the transcription factors activation pattern and remain elevated throughout the observation time. In conclusion, our study confirms that, in vivo, the return to normoxia after MH is sensed as a hypoxic trigger characterized by HIF-1α activation. On the contrary, HH and VHH induce a shift toward an oxidative stress response, characterized by NRF2 and NF-κB activation in the first 24 h post exposure.

I think every body has low on energy initially and may take around 10 sessions to go away. HBOT uses body's vitamins and minerals that needs to filled. There are some observations and suggestions in this thread.

I had around 35 sessions. I am chugging along little slow for few weeks. I was taking 2g liposomal capsules few hours before the session and 1g after along with my neuropathy vitamin list ( ALA, B-complex, Magensium, Chromium, alpha-GPC) and multi mineral tablet.

I am not sure whether capsules are less effective compared with what we make at home. I too have feeling that I have to change Vitamin take to fell better. during the process, at some point I stopped taking multi mineral capsule to test whether I am taking too much .

How do we know we have enough of vitamin and mineral replenishment? What type of multi vitamin tables people take
I decided to go slowly and listen to the body so I skipped the dive yesterday. Was feeling low on energy most of the day was also irritable and kind of spaced out. This morning i am not as bad but not full of joie de vivre either.
Not sure if fasting has anything to do with it but day before i did the dive after fasting for 36h and very intense yoga session and was feeling pretty good when i went in the chamber.
I am thinking that cleanse caused by fasting and added oxidation might be the culprit. But i will persevere.
I will do it 3 times a week - every other day and we see how it goes. Today I am fasting again.

Last edited:
Not sure if fasting has anything to do with it but day before i did the dive after fasting for 36h and very intense yoga session and was feeling pretty good when i went in the chamber.
I am thinking that cleanse caused by fasting and added oxidation might be the culprit. But i will persevere.
I will do it 3 times a week - every other day and we see how it goes. Today I am fasting again.

I wonder whether fasting AND the HBOT might be too much for your body all at once. I doubt my body could take all of these (new) changes without demanding some serious rest.

I decided to go slowly and listen to the body so I skipped the dive yesterday. Was feeling low on energy most of the day was also irritable and kind of spaced out. This morning i am not as bad but not full of joie de vivre either.

I think you should lay off the fasting and just do the chamber every day as the majority of experts suggest is optimal. Don't be doing too much or you will contaminate your experiment and won't know what is doing what. Lay off the heavy yoga too. Maybe just gentle yoga twice a week.

Remember, if HBOT is stimulating rebuilding and repairing, that takes a LOT of energy. Have you really read the posts in this thread?

Back
Top Bottom