Iodine and Potassium Iodide

voyageur said:
macyk said:
>http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36157806
All Belgians to be given iodine pills for nuclear safety

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

This looks very suspicious to me. Is there already an increased radiation, or any leaks from some reactor, or they expect something to happen in that area. Or maybe some " terroristic attack". I hope non of this will ever happen, but must be open for any outcome. :(

Gaby said:
Z said:
Didnt know that. It's ridiculous that most companies sell Zn and Copper in combination and it looks like this is completely useless. And it wasn't cheap.

Yes, it is completely useless and even dangerous. Specially those who have pyroluria need to supplement zinc separately.

People with pyroluria, a condition that can be acquired, tend to have low levels of zinc, chromium and very high levels of heavy metals and copper.

I don't think there's a problem supplementing copper and zinc together (cases pyoluria being the exception). The problem with zinc interfering with copper comes in when someone is taking excessive zinc, or has excessive zinc already in the body, as I understand it. The research seems to indicate a 10:1 ratio of zinc to copper is the ideal, while going over that has a negative effect (zinc toxicity, copper deficiency). So it's not that the two will actually inhibit each other, just that taking too much zinc will deplete copper.

From this link from the AOR website:
Usurping Each Other's Positions Zinc and copper are so similar in their atomic structure that they can actually compete with one another, not only for absorption, but also for utilization in the body's biochemical pathways. When your intake of zinc is too high relative to your copper intake, the excess zinc actually interferes with the activity of enzymes, which depend on copper for their biological function, by stepping into copper's proper binding sites in the enzymes. When copper is not properly incorporated into these enzymes, they can't fulfill their biochemical duties. Too Much Zinc A high intake of zinc, without a balancing increase in copper intake, can therefore lead to a secondary, functional copper deficiency by competing for absorption and interfering with its metabolism. Research suggests that an excessive ratio of zinc to copper has a negative impact on cardiovascular and skeletal health. Zinc & Copper Functions Zinc is important for the functioning of the immune system and for the production of sex hormones, among many other important processes that occur in the body. Copper is necessary for many biochemical processes in the body including the regulation of cholesterol levels, red blood cell production, hormone production, antioxidant effects and others. Choosing a well balanced supplement containing both of these vital nutrients is the best way to ensure that the correct balance is maintained in the body.

Ten to One Both animal and human evidence suggests that, for optimal utilization of both minerals, the balance between zinc and copper should be about ten-to-one. This isn't just a theoretical concern.

The Negative Effects of 23.5:1 In a series of human studies, putting volunteers on a diet and supplement regimen in which the ratio between zinc and copper was 23.5-to-one (and sometimes lower) - common zinc-to-copper ratios found in many multivitamins on health food store shelves - resulted in wide-ranging metabolic disturbances, including reduced levels of the copper-based antioxidants enzymes cytosolic superoxide dismutase and ceruloplasmin, increased total and LDL ("bad") cholesterol, anemia, reductions in the body's levels of enkephalins (natural pain-killing molecules), and cardiac dysfunction.

Ironic Immune Dysfunction At the extreme, out-of control zinc supplementation impairs immune function, despite the fact that an adequate intake of zinc is necessary for normal immune function. This is especially galling, considering that the most common reason for zinc supplementation is to support healthy immunity.

AOR is a good supplement company and base all their supplements on clinical research that shows actual results (I've spoken to their staff naturopath on a few occasions and the guy really knows his stuff). Of course, we have to do our own research with everything, but if AOR is doing something with their products, there's always a reason behind it, backed by research. This doesn't mean they're never wrong, however.

Nienna said:
Just a fwiw; zinc and copper cancel each other out when taken together. There are articles on the internet that explain this. Here's a couple:

http://www.bodybio.com/content.aspx?page=mineral-balance-copper-zinc

http://jymsupplementscience.com/the-problems-with-most-multivitamins/

The first link does talk about zinc:copper balance, but doesn't actually say the two should not be supplemented together, unless I missed it.

I think the second link makes good points about multivitamins, and how they're not all they're cracked up to be, but I wonder if the author is misinformed on the zinc:copper issue. As I said, it seems to be an issue with the amount of zinc already present, not supplemental zinc taken at the same time as supplemental copper, OSIT.

If you think about it, if we were entirely dependent on foods for our minerals, it wouldn't make sense that we'd be expected to get adequate amounts of any individual mineral if the two couldn't be in the same meal. The exception would be in mega-dosing things like calcium, which will interfere with iron absorption.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on that.

FWIW, I've run into both claims over the last 10 years (that they cancel each other out if taken together and that they don't), but the importance of balancing zinc and copper is definitely established for many decades in published research from what I remember, as dougdeep said. If anyone wants to be on the safe side of not wasting supplements, and they can do so conveniently and in an affordable way, I've done successful zinc supplementing for many months in the past by taking zinc 6 days a week and on the 7th supplementing copper. Another approach that can work is not to take zinc everyday - just three or four days out of the week (say 30mg/day on those days), and you may not even need to supplement copper if your diet can supply enough to maintain that balance or close to it (as copper is considered a trace mineral) - but that's much more guesswork. Still, the important thing to keep in mind is that there is the danger of creating an imbalance if supplementing one without the other, and taking measures to prevent that.

My update on Lugols intake

After starting Lugols 5% doing about 5 drops a day for several months, I developed a skin rash on my temples which I thought was Bromoderma from too much iodine. I stopped for about 2 months then restarted slowly at 1 drop a day which I am currently continuing. I still have the skin rash , it has subsided, But I have applied Moringa Oil on it and it seems to really calm it down but not really cure it.

I have also applied Lugols topically on toes with Athelete's foot or on a genital rash. In both of these cases I have noticed an initial stinging sensation and when I continue application for several days, the stinging lessens each day until it is completely gone and then the application of Lugols on that infected toe just stains the toe with no sensation at all. The toe can be 'healed' and stay healthy for several weeks and then it again gets re-infected. I'm wondering whether this re-infection is from clothing, shoes, or maybe internally by the blood stream. It sort of makes sense that if the offender (eg Candida or Malasezzia) is in the blood stream, a few topical applications of Iodine is not going to cleanse the whole blood stream. This seems to be working okay for me as the flare ups of Athlete's foot have significantly been reduced over the past year. So my current rule of thumb is to apply Lugols topically every day until it no longer stings.

I am still stumped on the temple skin rash but like I said, I can control it best with Moringa oil.

DougEE said:
So my current rule of thumb is to apply Lugols topically every day until it no longer stings.

I thought about caprylic acid too and did a search of "caprylic acid athlete's foot" in google. There are a lot of good posts that could give you ideas of what to use topically. Apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, etc.

Caprylic acid capsules could give an extra help, or just plain old pharmaceuticals such as fluconazole. Sometimes the effective results makes it worth taking them.

Bo said:
Hi guys I had a small question;

As of tomorrow I will be (almost) every day working at the airport, and because of that I have to go through a full body scanner each time. Since it's radiation exposure I am assuming I should increase my Iodine intake(but by how much)? or can I stay with 2 drops (5 days a week - 5% - 12,50 mg).

Those freaking scanners- sigh.

I worked at an airport a few years ago.
When I had to go into the terminals, I was able to opt out because of my security clearance ID at that airport. But, ask around... perhaps get a doctors note that you have family history of this or that, in order to excuse you.

Mention how you're concerned about the cumulative dosing. A lot of small doses is worse than one big dose at one time. Example: X ray here and there show no statistical increase in cancer, but continuous radiation- both adding up to the same yearly amount- show a dramatic difference!

Of course, don't tell them about your beliefs on the scanners- but make it like you have a condition. In this politically correct world, it seems like even authorities don't want to look like bad guys (on the outside).

Konstantin said:
voyageur said:
macyk said:
>http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36157806
All Belgians to be given iodine pills for nuclear safety

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

This looks very suspicious to me. Is there already an increased radiation, or any leaks from some reactor, or they expect something to happen in that area. Or maybe some " terroristic attack". I hope non of this will ever happen, but must be open for any outcome. :(

It is suspicious to say the least, priming the public to expect something, to heighten the fear, however, who knows how that would play out. The fact that people will have access to iodine in Belgium might help them discover more on the subject.

i look forward to hearing from anyone who has been supplementing iodine and what results they found

Babylion said:
i look forward to hearing from anyone who has been supplementing iodine and what results they found

If you read through the thread, you will find that people have been doing just that. ;)

Divide By Zero said:
Bo said:
Hi guys I had a small question;

As of tomorrow I will be (almost) every day working at the airport, and because of that I have to go through a full body scanner each time. Since it's radiation exposure I am assuming I should increase my Iodine intake(but by how much)? or can I stay with 2 drops (5 days a week - 5% - 12,50 mg).

Those freaking scanners- sigh.

I worked at an airport a few years ago.
When I had to go into the terminals, I was able to opt out because of my security clearance ID at that airport. But, ask around... perhaps get a doctors note that you have family history of this or that, in order to excuse you.

Mention how you're concerned about the cumulative dosing. A lot of small doses is worse than one big dose at one time. Example: X ray here and there show no statistical increase in cancer, but continuous radiation- both adding up to the same yearly amount- show a dramatic difference!

Of course, don't tell them about your beliefs on the scanners- but make it like you have a condition. In this politically correct world, it seems like even authorities don't want to look like bad guys (on the outside).

Just got home from work, by some kind of stroke of luck I actually ended up through another entrance where they only have a metal detector. I showed up pretty early at the airport, so I decided to roam around and kind of understand the layout of the place, since its like a maze.

After also observering where other workers went through I decided to follow those heading in the opposite direction of where I was supposed to go and ended up with a new entrance lol(kinda bad they didn't tell us about this, had to figure it out on my own).

But in any case this problem is unexpectedly solved :D :cheer:

Bo, Congrats on your discovery! HIGH FIVE TERMINATOR STYLE!

Just don't share it. I know it sounds harsh to those who you would want to help to avoid scanners but as soon as it becomes popular, it will be changed. Security is reactive, not proactive sometimes :)

Divide By Zero said:
Bo, Congrats on your discovery! HIGH FIVE TERMINATOR STYLE!

Just don't share it. I know it sounds harsh to those who you would want to help to avoid scanners but as soon as it becomes popular, it will be changed. Security is reactive, not proactive sometimes :)

*HIGH FIVE BACK* :D, will keep that in mind thanks :).

Just reporting on the usage of Lugols to try and cure my chronic sinusitis.

Since my youth, I have had chronic sinusitis problems flaring occasionally about 1-2 times per year - especially if I am very fatigued, not getting enough sleep, or have been regularly exposed to very cold air-conditioning (normally in the tropics where in the heat of the day, buildings are heavily cooled by AC). Funnily enough don't have sinus problems with natural cold weather even below freezing, only air conditioning. When they get clogged, I normally spend a lot of time at the basin clearing them out and drain my sinuses to ensure they don't develop into infection. There was one incident about 10 years ago, where I didn't realize that my sinuses were blocked - and after 2 weeks I had very high fever that didnt stop even after 2 rounds of antibiotics. Suddenly one night as I sleeping in high fever a dark brown liquid was dripping down from my nose. That prompted a quick visit to doctor, and it turned that the fluid in my sinuses was clogged, and it had become so heavily infected and inflamed (and turned dark brown) and this was the cause of my fever ! After 2 days of fluid draining it was fine again.

Last 2 weeks, my sinuses flared up again and got clogged; and after reading this article on Sott previously :
https://www.sott.net/article/315341-Chronic-Sinusitis-A-fungal-overgrowth

I decided to try a different approach and to flush it out using Lugols mixed with salt solution. I managed to get one of the FLO sinus care bottles - and used the same technique illustrated ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt1Kk6RBtIk), however I don't use the salt powder/solution they provided instead I used only water mixed with Lugols, or water +sea salt+lugols. I used 3 drops lugols 12% ( 16.5mg). 3 days ago, I did it for the first time in the evening, and while I felt immediate relief - within 30 minutes I develop a very strong herx reaction. I was feeling feverish, tired, and extremely fatigued. That night I had to sleep early and for 12 hours ! Next morning woke up with a sore neck, but felt almost like a new man with clear sinuses.

Since the first 2 nights - I normally flush my sinuses with Iodine once a day, and the other time with only saltwater (2 in total) - and while I feel stinging sensation in my sinuses, I can sense slowly but surely the fungus/critters are being killed by the Iodine. Just minor fatigue and no strong herx reactions like the first day. My sinuses feel a lot clearer, however I sense the fungus/mold/critters are now fighting back. Every time I clear it with Iodine - it seems to want to establish a new norm, and creates discomfort within my sinuses. Though I can sense that discomfort is slowly reducing on a minor level on a daily basis. I guess I will continue to do this, to see how it goes over the next few weeks and report back. After a lifetime of having a good time in my sinus cavities - I think its going to be a "big fight" to finally kill the fungus/mold/critters that are causing this....sigh!

Meanwhile, my normal Iodine supplementation continues in parallel.

Mr.Cyan, sorry to hear about your sinusitis problems. Last year I had similar problems, and I learned that it is equally important to not overly irritate the soft linings inside your sinuses by flushing too often and with a too strong solution (be it salt or iodine). The linings need time to recover, and they are the protective layer against pathogens.

Back
Top Bottom