Iodine and Potassium Iodide

Aragorn said:
Mr.Cyan, sorry to hear about your sinusitis problems. Last year I had similar problems, and I learned that it is equally important to not overly irritate the soft linings inside your sinuses by flushing too often and with a too strong solution (be it salt or iodine). The linings need time to recover, and they are the protective layer against pathogens.

Many thanks for the advice Aragorn - read about it too - and fully agree that flushing too much could also damage the soft tissue linings of the sinuses. Will give this lugols flushing a couple more days, before I stop for a few days to see how the situation progresses. Definitely don't want to aggravate a currently delicate situation.

Mr.Cyan said:
Aragorn said:
Mr.Cyan, sorry to hear about your sinusitis problems. Last year I had similar problems, and I learned that it is equally important to not overly irritate the soft linings inside your sinuses by flushing too often and with a too strong solution (be it salt or iodine). The linings need time to recover, and they are the protective layer against pathogens.

Many thanks for the advice Aragorn - read about it too - and fully agree that flushing too much could also damage the soft tissue linings of the sinuses. Will give this lugols flushing a couple more days, before I stop for a few days to see how the situation progresses. Definitely don't want to aggravate a currently delicate situation.

FYI I have suffered from sinus problems for around 5 years and have never truly gotten rid of the problem, but there are all kinds of trigger foods which make it worse, some which you would not expect at all. Sugar, oats, dairy, black tea/green tea, coffee and chocolate are some of the worst for me.

I suspect that, for me at least, the problem is not actually in the sinuses, but they are just inflamed because there is unresolved systemic inflammation in my body.

(Apologies if this has already been posted up here)

Another fascinating quality of iodine - Iodine acts as the main antioxidant for PUFA's in the brain. It protects Docosahexaenoic acid and Arachidonic acid, which are both critical for neural and cellular functioning. Those who recommend low intake of PUFA's (because of the susceptibility to oxidation) are missing out on the massively important fact that PUFA's are delivered by nature in the perfect package protected by iodine and selenium via shellfish and seafood.

Kuse says:

AA and DHA are PUFA’s that work in magic together in the human brain. They are essential fatty acids that are critical to cell membrane signaling and structure. If you follow the work of biochemists and organic chemists they have told us that PUFA’s are very susceptible to oxidation because of the double bonds they have in their chemical structures. This is true. But here is what they did not tell you about PUFA’s in the brain. AA and DHA are critical for the human brain function. These PUFA double bonds are protected by iodine levels in several special ways. In Brain gut 5 we spoke about the special quantum effect of the pi electron clouds of DHA. Now let us look at the most powerful protector of our DHA stores in all of our cells. Iodine is that protecter. When iodine is bound to AA and DHA it protects them from free oxygen radicals that oxidize them. The second mechanism of protection of these PUFA’s uses iodine and hydrogen peroxide in combination.

GEEK ALERT: An iodine peroxide catalyzes the iodolactonization of DHA and AA. The requirements for DHA and AA for iodolactone formation are the presence of an enzyme called iodo-peroxidase and an elevated concentration of iodine and the presence of hydrogen peroxide. These conditions can only be met in certain human tissues. These tissues are the thyroid gland and the choroid plexus of the of the brain. Most of you know what the thyroid does. I doubt most of you understand what the choroid plexus does. The reason for this is because modern science and neurosurgery do not even know what its purpose is today. This is a tissue in the brain, I deal with every time I open someone’s head for surgery. The choroid plexus makes CSF fluid that surrounds the entire brain. We think CSF has a major effect on the chemical stability of the brain but we really do not know for sure at this point. CSF is an ultrafiltrate of the blood’s plasma and it is made by specialized tissues in the brain’s ventricles called the choroid plexus.

One thing we do know is that AA iodolactones specifically inhibit cellular signal transduction pathways that are induced by local growth factors that are released in many tissues. They are a critical step in controlling cellular growth and helping regulate cell cycle to metabolic and circadian signals. For example we know today that delta iodolactones have anti-proliferative effects (tumor growth). This is especially true in the brain and thyroid gland. This implies that when iodine levels are low in either of these tissue we might see increases in thyroid or brain tumors. In the last hundred years, both of these types of cancers have risen dramatically and their incidence and prevalence. It is particularly startling over the last 50 years in human history. When this occurs in the thyroid gland these iodolactone block the formation of goiters too. A goiter is an enlargement of the thyroid due to lack of iodine. In 1990, we also found out that iodolipids, like iodohexadecanal is critical in the thyroid and brain physiology. It appears that these iodolipids are a critical player in transport of iodide in the gut and thyroid. They also direct the formation of T4 formation and secretion in the thyroid. T4 is the thyroid pro-hormone that is converted to T3 in the liver and gut, which is the bioactive form of thyroid hormone that gives us metabolic control and control over our synthesis of hormones from our LDL cholesterol. T3 is critical in making every hormone in the human body. I covered this in detail in the Hormone 101 blog long ago.

We also found out in the 1990’s that reverse T3 and other iodothyronies like T2 and T1 function as iodine transporters in humans. They also have a dual function in protecting PUFA’s used in the brain from oxidation. They are the most powerful inhibitors of lipid peroxidation in humans. Many of you have heard many bloggers talk about lipid peroxidation many times over the last few years, but no one mentioned the iodine system that prevents lipids from being oxidized in the first place. They are so powerful, that they exceed the efficacy of vitamin E, glutathione, and vitamin C in humans. Most of them however, have talked up these other BACK UP systems in humans. In fact, it appears the real reason vitamin C may have lost its role in humans, as a powerful antioxidant protector in cells, is because it is not strong enough to protect AA and DHA in human brain tissue, especially at the synapse of neurons. Yes, the evolution of the human brain may be the reason Vitamin C lost its biologic mojo in our species.

The brain has the highest requirements of requirements of oxidative protection in the synapses between nerve cells. It appears that iodine is a lot better protector of all lipids in all cells not just the brain. If that what science says is true in the brain, and the brain separates us from apes, how in the hell did we do this without iodine if the current meme is correct?

Carl said:
Mr.Cyan said:
Aragorn said:

FYI I have suffered from sinus problems for around 5 years and have never truly gotten rid of the problem, but there are all kinds of trigger foods which make it worse, some which you would not expect at all. Sugar, oats, dairy, black tea/green tea, coffee and chocolate are some of the worst for me.

I suspect that, for me at least, the problem is not actually in the sinuses, but they are just inflamed because there is unresolved systemic inflammation in my body.

Carl, it sounds like histamine intolerance.

Is histamine intolerance the cause of your problems?

Have you ever tried Oak Wood Extractto see if it makes a difference to you?

Alana said:
Carl, it sounds like histamine intolerance.

Is histamine intolerance the cause of your problems?

I don't think I ever tried that one due to pretty much being in poverty when I wrote that post, but I will give it a go now. Thanks for the reminder.

As a further little update, I noticed myself getting very stressed and burned out over the past few months. I pretty much figured it is adrenal fatigue, and then the health&wellness show came out which I thought was very timely.

I have quit caffeine now and I am trying to relax more and not be so stressed, but am having serious troubles with motivation and focus, just feeling kind of depressed and anxious, can't even dissociate easily, seriously losing heart at seeing people fall for yet more propaganda over Syria - kind of like a milder version of how Joe described his experience. I'm not sure how the iodine may be contributing. I have been on a low dose recently but may stop it for a week or two and see if things improve.

Here are a couple more articles on Histamine Intolerance and which foods/drinks cause problems with histamines:

http://www.histamineintolerance.org.uk/about/the-food-diary/the-food-list/

http://www.michiganallergy.com/food_and_histamine.shtml

Mr.Cyan said:
Aragorn said:

Sounds good! You can always lower the percentage of the iodine too, specially if there is a burning sensation in the sinuses when you do the flush.

If anti-inflammatory measures and diet don't do the trick, then another thing that might be worth trying is snorting pure nystatin powder. That works pretty well.

Mr.Cyan said:
Just reporting on the usage of Lugols to try and cure my chronic sinusitis.
[...]
I decided to try a different approach and to flush it out using Lugols mixed with salt solution.[...]
[...]
Meanwhile, my normal Iodine supplementation continues in parallel.

Hi MrCyan, I hope you have success with the sinusitis issue, it sounds tough. I've never had anything like myself but, a few years ago at work i was sat under an air con vent and seemed to be constantly battling something similar, due to the cold blast of air and most probably the associated critters being circulated.

You know your body and it's reactions, but I just wondered if it's necessary to also dose on the iodine on the days you're doing the iodine flush? If that is what you're doing. Since i understand Iodine can be taken up via the skin, you may be dosing higher than is necessary and adding to the herx reaction.

Others will have more informed opinions but i thought i'd mention it since Iodine can be pretty heavy if you're double dosing - or at least more than your usual protocol intake - and dealing with other issues. I may have misunderstood but i just thought i'd mention it.

When I first started the iodine protocol I started at a smaller dose and then after a period I increased to 5 drops a day for the 10% solution. I eventually came down with a nasty sickness that felt similar to the flu which lasted a little less than a week. I was taking lots of vitamin C at that point and since I was experiencing some tenderness in my kidney area I decided to give the iodine a rest for a bit and just try to detox. However, during this period I also became pretty stiff - my shoulders, back and neck were all in pretty bad shape, and I had a stiff neck pretty much ever since. I started back on the protocol after a month or so just doing one or two drops a day, sometimes every other day. I didn't really connect the stiff neck /stiff joints to anything the iodine might have released at the time, but I recently increased my dosage to 3 drops twice a day and am feeling much, much better so I think there is some connection. I don't know if the iodine released some critters and then they embedded themselves in vulnerable places? I'm probably not going to keep up the higher dose for long, but for now it's working.

I feel for you Mr Cyan. I've had chronic sinusitis, seasonal rhinitis, hayfever, and bronchitis issues for as long as I can remember. For me, switching to a keto-diet was helpful, but didn't get rid of the issues. Like Carl, I've also noticed that there are a number of foods that make things worse. Eggs, almond butter, and chocolate being the only things I still eat semi-frequently that I know trigger increased sinus/allergy issues. So it's possible that I've got some latent Candida or other fungal issues going on. I'm glad to hear that the iodine nasal flush was helpful for you. Was thinking of trying it out myself to see if my hayfever symptoms improve at all. May try the nystatin as well.

To report in on iodine. I've been taking a week long break to try and get things calmed down after a very busy work schedule, the break in at my apartment, and getting moved to a new place. I'd switched over to a 2% solution of Lugol's before my break to see if it would cut down on the feelings of anxiety that I would get when taking one drop of the 5% solution. It did lessen the feelings but I still had low-moderate levels of anxiety for some time after taking it. So I put one drop of 2% solution in a glass of water and would only drink half of it at one time. This worked out much better. The anxious feelings were greatly lessened to much more manageable level and didn't last for nearly as long. I've still been doing salt water in the mornings and sometimes evenings, and when I remember taking a mixture of chlorella, zeolyte, and cilantro. Also, I'm not nearly as emotional as when I was taking a higher dose. It got to the point where I couldn't watch a cute puppy video without crying for 10 minutes.

Alana said:

The oak extract is really good at opening the sinuses, so may be worth considering MrCyan.
*edit* Just to be clear, taking it as a supplement opens the sinuses.

Thank you very much for this thread and for sharing all the information and your experience here! I have almost finished reading it all, while taking notes all along. I haven't started with the iodine yet, but am planning to do so. I still need a proper water filtering system as I figured you have to drink lots of water while on this protocol, especially when in connection with a detox protocol in order to support the work of iodine. People here on the forum and elsewhere reported good experiences with a Berkey system, to which therefore I am currently leaning.

I think I also have lots of mercury in my system, which I probably mainly received from my mother during pregnancy (she had to do a clinical amalgam and mercury removal when I was a teenager). Another source can be amalgam fillings, which I may still carry in my mouth. So I need to ensure this in order to know if I have to go for a removal. One tooth probably has some remains of amalgam beneath an acrylic filling - and I really don't have any idea how to find out if there is amalgam or not in this case. Does anyone of you have an idea how to go about that?

Almost one month ago, I also had my blood and thyroid values tested. The result was "compensated hypothyroidism". The doc has ruled out hashimoto. Here are the related values (plus the standard range in brackets):

TSH - 6.0 (0.27 - 4.2)
fT3 - 4.2 (3.13 - 6.76)
fT4 - 14.2 (10.6 - 22.7)

thyro peroxidase antibodies: 16.3 (<34)
[ferritin (serum): 16.1 (6.6 - 26)]

TSH is elevated, while T3 and T4 are drifting around near the lower limits. My doctor recommended visiting an endocrinologist,
who would do a screening of the thyroid - also to rule out hot nodules.

A side note I am not sure of being relevant, but thought to mention it: The evening before the test I ate fish and had cooked broccoli which I haven't had since a long time (except from eating at other places). I felt some lump pressure in the thyroid starting the same evening after I had done the test, accompanied by some panic-like feelings which I then tried to calm down with magnesium and melissa tea. I guess it came from the broccoli, and so I don't try any of that anymore for now. By that time I also had consumed Brazil nuts almost every day for at least two months, for more selenium.

My physician also recommended medication so I would have more energy, but I would prefer the iodine if there are no hot nodules. I tend to be depleted of energy rather quickly, especially in highly stressful situations, or when just a lot of things are going on in my life all at once. Lately the feeling of being exhausted seems to be more present than ever. Can resonate to Carl's experience here. I think adrenal fatigue is something to look into for me as well - years ago the adrenal connection has been made in relation to my thyroid issues. First in the forum I think, and by a naturopath later. I am trying to counter the stress with EE, cold showers, taking care of my diet (which is still an ongoing process for me), smoking, walks outside (and soon gardening again) and journaling while also resuming choir practice.

I ordered the book from Dr Brownstein and will go through my notes from this thread before I visit the endocrinologist. So I can be prepared the best way possible, as I don't know yet what kind of person he is - if he tries to persuade me of taking any medication or if he is also open to other approaches.

Learner said:
My physician also recommended medication so I would have more energy, but I would prefer the iodine if there are no hot nodules. I tend to be depleted of energy rather quickly, especially in highly stressful situations, or when just a lot of things are going on in my life all at once. Lately the feeling of being exhausted seems to be more present than ever. Can resonate to Carl's experience here. I think adrenal fatigue is something to look into for me as well - years ago the adrenal connection has been made in relation to my thyroid issues. First in the forum I think, and by a naturopath later. I am trying to counter the stress with EE, cold showers, taking care of my diet (which is still an ongoing process for me), smoking, walks outside (and soon gardening again) and journaling while also resuming choir practice.

Learner, maybe you should consider taking Vitamin C if you're not taking it already? Vit C will not only help you to detox, but I've noticed - especially with lyposomal C - that it gives a real boost in energy.

As for the Brazil nuts, they may be high in selenium but for some reason a lot of people I know seem to be allergic to them, as well as myself. You may not be experiencing severe reactions, but eating them could still be detrimental to you. In any case, I would just lay off of them for a while, start taking a good Selenium supplement and then see how you feel.

Thanks Gaby, A Jay, and Carl for the advice and concern, much appreciated.

A Jay and Carl, can fully understand as well dealing with Sinus issues for years on end, they never seem to get sorted, and there are always triggers. I thinks if its food that triggers it, then it could be mold/fungus or candida related. Also for me air conditioning was the main trigger - and since AC filters are great abodes of all sorts of critters and spores of fungus/mold that could be related as well. Another key trigger for me in the past was alcohol, if I consumed a lot of beer or other beverages the previous night, then the next morning my sinuses would easily get clogged and would have to be drained. However since beginning the work, and dietary changes I have cut down 99.9% of my alcohol intake, hence that is not a trigger anymore.

Also since ive changed my diet to keto/paleo the sinus problems have lessened. I have found that cold showers have helped a lot as well, as every time after a really cold shower especially for water below 15C, the sinuses naturally drain as your part of your bodies response to cold. Lately since beginning the Iodine protocol, I have added some carbs into my diet - mainly rice during dinner, and occasionally dark chocolate - hence this could be related as well to the current flare up. Im not sure.

itellsya, thanks for the concern & reminder about the Iodine absorption through the skin, much appreciated. Actually when starting the Iodine flushing I considered this, and lowered my daily Iodine dose as well. Normally depending on how I feel for the day, I normally take between 16-25mg of Iodine in the Lugols 12% that I have (between 3-5 drops). However since doing the sinus flushing and accounting for Iodine that may be absorbed through the sinus cavities - I only take 16mg (3 drops) orally; and I use a further 16mg for the flushing solution. Hence in total ~ 32mg for the day.

Its the fourth day of the Iodine flushing now, and sinuses are feeling much better. Head though is feeling "tight" like in a big hand gripping the top of my head. No headaches, just a feeling/sensation. I guess this is all part of the battle with them critters...

Back
Top Bottom