Japan - 8.9 Earthquake - Fukushima Meltdown

It would look very bad for live on earth when something big happens, like a blackout in large portions of the planet.
can you imagine many atomic plant's burning down and how the world would look like in the future ?

Your concern is about the safety of atomic plant's if there's a blackout? Is it that?

Ellipse said:
It would look very bad for live on earth when something big happens, like a blackout in large portions of the planet.
can you imagine many atomic plant's burning down and how the world would look like in the future ?

Your concern is about the safety of atomic plant's if there's a blackout? Is it that?

not only that, all unpredictable forces that nature has to offer is my concern too. and having seen what nature can do (fukusima).
and we see that it does not seem to fade, it's more like it is increasing all arround the world.
and who knows how strong nature will show her destructive side in the future ?

This just came through across breaking news - "An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.7 strikes off north Japan coast, Japanese and U.S. seismologists report."

I hope Fukushima reactor 4 is still upright (it has been dangerously leaning for quite a while).

Pashalis said:
Ellipse said:

not only that, all unpredictable forces that nature has to offer is my concern too. and having seen what nature can do (fukusima).
and we see that it does not seem to fade, it's more like it is increasing all arround the world.
and who knows how strong nature will show her destructive side in the future ?

OK, because I think a blackout with no other event involved will certainly not be dangerous. The power plant will stop safely I think.

Ellipse said:
OK, because I think a blackout with no other event involved will certainly not be dangerous. The power plant will stop safely I think.

Perhaps a momentary one. But what happens when it is a prolonged blackout and they run out of fuel for the emergency generators? Water has to constantly keep recirculating to keep the temperature down. When they decide to shut down a plant, it takes years for it to cool down to the point where it won't be a hazard (even that's questionable). No matter how you cut it, there's too much opportunity for things to go wrong.

Perhaps a momentary one. But what happens when it is a prolonged blackout and they run out of fuel for the emergency generators? Water has to constantly keep recirculating to keep the temperature down. When they decide to shut down a plant, it takes years for it to cool down to the point where it won't be a hazard (even that's questionable). No matter how you cut it, there's too much opportunity for things to go wrong.

1 year you think? Yeah it's possible, I was thinking about 2, 3 months but it's seem very long to cool down the temperature of the heart below a safe level. I can't find the info on the net. If someone know exactly...

Dear Sott and Sott readers,

My apology if this is not the correct place to post this.

A friend recently contacted me about the ongoing plight in Japan after the disaster there, what seems to be occurring is that the Japanese people are not receiving as much assistance as they should, funds that have been donated to organizations the likes of Japans Red cross and others have had funds withheld to some extent. My understanding is that this is a political issue.

However, the main point that I would like to address is that people are voluntarily taking the initiative and helping the people. I would if I may direct your attention to a You Tube video and ask you to view it, with the intent of increasing awareness of ongoing humanitarian aid in Japan.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA0DKddmENA

Information about Lumiere et Espoir pour le Japon:

Non-profit association "Lumiere et Espoir pour le Japon" and Dominique Corby have taken it upon themselves to assist the Japanese people in their hour of need by voluntarily cooking food and transporting life products on site in Japan.

This time, cooking and serving food organized in Koriyama, Fukushima in cooperation with Caravan Françoise, group of 3 French-associations in Japan.

For further information on "Lumiere et Espoir pour le Japon", please visit: http://dcorby1965.canalblog.com/ , available on French, English and Japanese.

Thank you for your support.

/Karma

Hi Karma_001, welcome to the forum. :)

We have more discussions about Fukushima's problem in this thread:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,22335.0.html

I do not think is kind of aid is the first priority that they need at this point. But still there are a lot of evacuees and people in the city are now back in "normal" and being busy everyday so they will much appreciate this kind of support! Although I think they probably need compensation more than anything, as well as good information to act accordingly for their safety in the near future. As you say, I agree it is for sure that people are not getting much assistance and there are political issues that have to be dealt with. But we cannot really trust Japanese government and big companies... (as everywhere else around the world.)

I don't see "increasing humanitarian aid" in the North East Japan anymore though. My aunt is selling everything as fast as she can to move out from her house 50km away from the plant. Of course she is not getting any compensation, as you know 50km is outside of the evacuation zone. still...it is so unbelievable! What's is more unbelievable is that unlike my aunt, who is pretty aware of the dangers of situation, some people are walking outside with shorts walking dogs and some elders even begging to plant rice in their fields. My grandmother decided renovating her house right by the polluted ocean and she plans to move back in the house in next year... :(

Anyway, Fukushima is still in a critical state. Any volunteers coming for help should have deep knowledge about the dangers of situation.

Just came across an interesting site Jimstonefreelance.com which poses some interesting points on wheather the earthquake really took place showing nil quake damage as would be expected @ M9 quake strength. The photos show all in tact AS the tsunami approaches and THEN the damage and destruction takes place.

Very detailed and certainly made me think :wow: Not impossible at all.

stellar said:
Just came across an interesting site Jimstonefreelance.com which poses some interesting points on wheather the earthquake really took place showing nil quake damage as would be expected @ M9 quake strength. The photos show all in tact AS the tsunami approaches and THEN the damage and destruction takes place.

It's likely TEPCO is exaggerating the accident to get away from helping people. Also TEPCO claims that there was 14m tsunami hit the daichi nuclear plant, which was appropriate to think approximately 5m.

Mr.Anderson said:
I thought the quake took place several miles out under the ocean, which caused the tsunami?

Right, the epicenter of the quake was 120km away from the Fukushima daiichi. By the time the tsunami reached by the plants, height of the tsunami wave was around 5m or so.

Thank you for your welcome and kind words Aya,

Personally I will not pretend to know all of the difficulties facing Japan today, it makes me very sad however to see that we as human beings cannot and will not help a nation in this kind of trouble.

Warm regards,

/Karma

stellar said:

Very detailed and certainly made me think :wow: Not impossible at all.

the same website was brought up ca. one week ago here:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,23919.msg267875.html#msg267875

maybe something to merge

Back
Top Bottom