Jeff Volek - The Many Facets of Keto-Adaptation Video

Laura said:
Fluffy said:
Thanks for all these links Laura, I'm nine hours into my first day and surprisingly I am still alive :P
I know it gets harder, I lasted 8 days last time, but I'm willing to push on this time, you're so right when you say we ALL should be living off ketones, it just makes so much sense.

Actually, it shouldn't get harder for very long. Generally, the "drug reaction" thing ends after 72 hours and from then on, it's just a matter of dealing with candida and making sure that the body feels sated with plenty of fat. Do listen to the various videos. You may need to eat more protein than you should for a few days while getting adapted, but after that, it is usually just a matter of increasing the fat to the point that hunger is switched off. (Which may require digestive enzymes, etc, for awhile.)

And I'm not the one saying that we should all be living on ketones - that is suggested in one of the videos. They also point out that different people have different tolerances for carbs (veggies, etc) once they are adapted, but it takes time and experimentation to figure that out.
From what I've watched just today I'll second the suggestion in the video that we should all be living off ketones... my main motivation for wanting to get healthy and function as well as possible is that I am still getting up to my daughter 3 or more times a night so I just want to feel as good as I can in the day time... and if that's not enough motivation the idea that DNA cant or wont upgrade if the body isn't being fulled and cleansed appropriately lingers about in the back of my mind a fair bit too... I cant remember where I heard that tho ;)

Fluffy said:
Laura said:
Fluffy said:
Thanks for all these links Laura, I'm nine hours into my first day and surprisingly I am still alive :P
I know it gets harder, I lasted 8 days last time, but I'm willing to push on this time, you're so right when you say we ALL should be living off ketones, it just makes so much sense.

Actually, it shouldn't get harder for very long. Generally, the "drug reaction" thing ends after 72 hours and from then on, it's just a matter of dealing with candida and making sure that the body feels sated with plenty of fat. Do listen to the various videos. You may need to eat more protein than you should for a few days while getting adapted, but after that, it is usually just a matter of increasing the fat to the point that hunger is switched off. (Which may require digestive enzymes, etc, for awhile.)

And I'm not the one saying that we should all be living on ketones - that is suggested in one of the videos. They also point out that different people have different tolerances for carbs (veggies, etc) once they are adapted, but it takes time and experimentation to figure that out.
From what I've watched just today I'll second the suggestion in the video that we should all be living off ketones... my main motivation for wanting to get healthy and function as well as possible is that I am still getting up to my daughter 3 or more times a night so I just want to feel as good as I can in the day time... and if that's not enough motivation the idea that DNA cant or wont upgrade if the body isn't being fulled and cleansed appropriately lingers about in the back of my mind a fair bit too... I cant remember where I heard that tho ;)
that was supposed to say fueled and cleansed... see, I need some ketones so I can think and type better

I invented a new way to get more fat last night:

Make deviled eggs and use homemade mayo PLUS a big chunk of softened butter to whip with the yolks to make the egg filling. And when I say big chunk, that's what I used! They were yummy and buttery tasting!

Another: if you tolerate coconut, use coconut cream, several egg yolks, big chunk of melted butter, vanilla, a small bit of xylitol, to make a FAT milkshake!

Just put the butter, xylitol (tsp) and coconut cream in a saucepan, bring ALMOST to a boil, take off the heat, beat in several egg yolks thorougly, chill in fridge for a bit, and then maybe put in the blender before drinking or stir well.

You could also use it as a hot drink, like a warm vanilla milkshake.

Using cocoa is okay, but when you do that, you have to increase the xylitol to counter the bitterness of the chocolate and that sort of cancels out the super low carb state. With coconut cream and butter, you hardly need any xylitol.

Anyway, if you need to get a couple hundred grams of fat into you, this is one way.

Here is a KETO calculator where you can get personalized recommendations for weight loss or maintenance of your current weight, or to gain weight.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

That is pretty handy! You can monitor progress and it spells out exactly what you need. I like it better since it shows more protein requirement ;) It is calculated with 1.2 grams of protein per kilo.

I got keto blood level strips that I never actually used :-[ So now it is a good time to see if I can reach and stay at optimal keto zone (1.5-3) with the formula I got from the calculator.

Laura said:
Another: if you tolerate coconut, use coconut cream, several egg yolks, big chunk of melted butter, vanilla, a small bit of xylitol, to make a FAT milkshake!

Just put the butter, xylitol (tsp) and coconut cream in a saucepan, bring ALMOST to a boil, take off the heat, beat in several egg yolks thorougly, chill in fridge for a bit, and then maybe put in the blender before drinking or stir well.

Using cocoa is okay, but when you do that, you have to increase the xylitol to counter the bitterness of the chocolate and that sort of cancels out the super low carb state. With coconut cream and butter, you hardly need any xylitol.

Anyway, if you need to get a couple hundred grams of fat into you, this is one way.

That sounds heavenly! :D I love fatty creamy stuff and I do tolerate coconut, so this one is a keeper.

I made a wicked fat slice using butter, coconut oil, vanilla, about a tablespoon each of desiccated coconut and almond meal then sweetened with erythritol to taste, put it in the freezer, went for a smoke and when I came back it was set. All my sweet desires are fulfilled.. There is a little bit of carbs here but I'm allowed 25g a day so eating a few bits is okay. After one day my body went straight into ketosis according to ketostix, may be coz we've done this lots of times before when I was obsessed with diet and exercise a few years ago so I suppose it remembers how to switch from carbs to fat for energy easily and quickly..
Love coconut cream, have been spooning it straight out of the tin into my very wecoming mouth.
And the keto calculator is a great help too, it's like I got smarter in one day because I've seen it before but couldn't figure out how it worked... Not sure we should be aiming for our lowest possible body weight though, I'll look like skeletors girlfriend if I weighed 47 kg :/

Laura said:

WoW! tempting. Thank you for the recipe. Are there any way we can get some approximate measurements.
Yesterday, we had a feast of this from nancy2feathers with cocoa and xylitol,coconut milk,butter but no egg , I guess. Wonderful.

Thanks for the suggestions about both the deviled eggs and the fat milkshake -- I've been looking for some additional ways to get fat into our diet, and I think both of these will go over well. Coconut cream isn't a problem -- since cocoa presents more difficulty in adjusting the sweetness, I might experiment with mixing in some Rooibos tea to add some flavor.

Gaby said:
Laura said:

That sounds heavenly! :D I love fatty creamy stuff and I do tolerate coconut, so this one is a keeper.

A fat milkshake! Awesome! I don't know how I'll tolerate the sweetness or eggs but the fat I can do ;)

seek10 said:
Laura said:

WoW! tempting. Thank you for the recipe. Are there any way we can get some approximate measurements.
Yesterday, we had a feast of this from nancy2feathers with cocoa and xylitol,coconut milk,butter but no egg , I guess. Wonderful.
chia seed soaked in water is a great egg replacement at a ratio of 1:9 chia + water.

is anyone else testing their ketones???
mine were off the chart this morning and I was feeling really unwell until I had a few sticks of celery and a handful of baby spinach in my coconut cream scrambled eggs..
Thinking I need to have a few carbs to keep up with breastmilk supply too.. For those who can do a bit of carbs this recipe is awaesome for fat, protein and a bit of carb

Almond Meal Bread
1cup almond meal
1/4-1/2 cup of oil of choice
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt

mix together, mold onto a oiled plate and put into microwave for 3ish minutes. It wont grow.
eat hot with loads butter and friends :)

Fluffy said:
chia seed soaked in water is a great egg replacement at a ratio of 1:9 chia + water.

You don't want to "replace the eggs" unless you are allergic. Getting plenty of egg yolks into the body (ditch the whites) is a primary objective for feeding the brain!!!

Fluffy said:
mine were off the chart this morning and I was feeling really unwell until I had a few sticks of celery and a handful of baby spinach in my coconut cream scrambled eggs..
Thinking I need to have a few carbs to keep up with breastmilk supply too.. For those who can do a bit of carbs this recipe is awaesome for fat, protein and a bit of carb

You obviously are not eating enough meat and eggs, mostly yolks.

If you think you need some carbs, try sweet potatoes.

Best breakfast is bacon, sausages, more sausages, and possibly a few egg yolks.

Fluffy said:

Almond Meal Bread
1cup almond meal
1/4-1/2 cup of oil of choice
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt

mix together, mold onto a oiled plate and put into microwave for 3ish minutes. It wont grow.
eat hot with loads butter and friends :)

Somehow I get the feeling that you don't really know what you are doing, Fluffy. That's just an impression I get from your responses, remarks, suggestions. Have you read the entire "Life Without Bread" and "Ketogenic Diet" threads? Have you watched the videos posted in this thread? If so, you would probably know more about the ketone test strips.

In your case, nursing a baby, I would be eating plenty of veggies like carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, green beans, lettuce, and adding avocados almost daily. Plus, moderate amounts of meat (especially early in the morning), lots of butter, egg YOLKS, coconut fat (if tolerated) etc. But nuts are common allergens and should be tested (walnuts and macadamias seem to be the safest) and spinach has some antinutrients that might not be good for the baby or you. Same with many cruciferous veggies. Anytime I ate cabbage or broccoli while nursing, my babies had terrible tummyaches.

Doing keto-adaptation while nursing may not be such a good idea though you can certainly eat paleo.

A nice baby food would be an egg yolk, butter and coconut milk custard, unsweetened, just lightly salted.

Laura said:
Somehow I get the feeling that you don't really know what you are doing, Fluffy. That's just an impression I get from your responses, remarks, suggestions. Have you read the entire "Life Without Bread" and "Ketogenic Diet" threads? Have you watched the videos posted in this thread? If so, you would probably know more about the ketone test strips.

I quite agree with Laura.

Fluffy, it was suggested to you here and you replied:

Fluffy said:
Minas Tirith said:
Also, maybe it would be better if you started with going Paleo instead of jumping into Keto all at once. I know everyone is different, but a couple of weeks Paleo weans you off stuff more subtle and you have more varieties of foods to eat (as we are programmed to do). I am by far not an expert, so if there are more knowledgeable folks here who want to contradict this approach please go ahead.

M.T.
I'm an all or nothing person, might as well go straight for the keto, paleo is good but have you seen the so called sweet paleo recipes ... I spend all day looking up paleo desserts ;)
I'm doing good, today is day one and I'm pumped and enthused, I could really use some discipline in my life right now coz I have very little else going on... I'm going to prove to my self that I can beat sugar.... Yeah, go me!!!!

Beating sugar is one thing, it is ill advised to just go straight into a ketogenic diet. It is said quite frequently on this forum that doing something just to do it, without understanding why and how to do it, is the wrong way to do anything.

There are so many things that have been discovered, found, discarded by many members here that doing either one of these diets without the many details and findings of the group is fairly detrimental to you health, both physically and mentally.

You seem to have a cavalier attitude about everything you post about. You don't ever question your own thinking, even when things have been pointed out to you.

Along with reading the two diet threads, it would be good if you could, also, read, Thinking Fast and Slow and The Adaptive Unconscious.

The thing is, you say that you could really use some discipline in your life right now, but, then, just jump in to the KD without any discipline at all.

Added: You might, also, want to read the Candida thread. Since you say that you have eaten so much sugar and crave it, you most probably have candida; and it would be the little critters that are screaming for the sugar more than you are.

May be I don't really know what I am doing, but I am learning and trying to get involved where i can to get some good advice and support..
There is so much conflicting information on the internet and lots of this will come down to what works for one person doesn't work for the other so well so there will be a fair bit of trial and error.

I'll take a step back, have a thorough read of the suggested threads and links and figure out what works for me..

Thanks for your help everyone

I have to say that this is a great thread, the videos can be used to convey the information faster without getting unclear for anyone who as never broke out of the mainstream diet and is wanting/willing to improve their own lives and others. Also the sharing of small, quick recipes containning great amounts of good FATs is great example for beginners and others on how to achieve and tweak the macros fullfilling any hunger.

Back
Top Bottom