July 2016 Military Coup in Turkey

I also do not think Erdogan is a psychopath. He has been demonized in the press for a long time, likely in preparation for this attempted coup. I also do not think the downing of the Russian jet was on his order, but done by the military, at the behest of NATO/USA/Zionists. They needed to create a split between Russian and Turkish cooperation (especially the gas pipeline). That was achieved for a time.

I have been told that Israeli's are purchasing large swaths of land in Northern Iraq, from people who are desperate to escape the violence. This is typically done thru a 'middle man' so the seller does not know who the real buyers are. My guess is Israel is hoping that this all ends with these areas becoming Kurdistan - from the Golan, thru Northern Syria and Northern Iraq. The natural gas and oil will bankroll their new settlements, and move them closer to the goal of Greater Israel, extending from the Nile to the Euphrates.

Erdogan has been a thorn in their side, so I am not surprised that they tried to overthrow him. Especially in light of his recent apology to Russia and the gas pipeline back on the table. Most likely, the upper brass of the Kurds is firmly in bed with the Zionists and Erdogan is fighting to prevent the extension of Israel, via their Kurdish proxies. The Kurds fighting on the ground, are probably not aware of the real goal.

Most of these events are traced back to the "usual suspects". OSIT.

[quote author= Pierre]If that's the case Erdogan now knows Russia is a real ally and the US is the enemy. Maybe, in the not too distant future, we'll see Turkey getting closer to Russia, which rises interesting opportunities: building pipelines, accessing the Mediterranean sea, cutting ISIL supply routes, reducing US military presence near the Russian territory (Turkish NATO bases), etc.[/quote]

I hope, but Erdogan could also have convinced himself that nobody can touch him and starts demanding even more by the PTB.

But taking into account that he apoligzed and turned to Russia for help. There is a good chance that he will strengthen ties even more. It is in his best interests because he has no where to go. He must know by now.

The coup failed, if the PTB wants him gone. All they can do now is to send in the Jackals, elimanite him, and all his minions. It isn’t a success formula, but what else can they do than spread chaos in the hope they can pick up the pieces after.

Putin has a lot of leverage now by telling Erdogan that he could protect him if Turkey stops arming/supplying western proxy terrorists. If that happens. The war in Syria is basically over :D

For Erdogan it's all about survival now. He doesn't has the luxery to make demands or dream of some Neo Ottoman Empire anymore.

I think that he is total psychopath. He can whine if that is what he needs and think it will help him. Normal people usually don't whine and complain in public. And don't forget that he is not like that from yesterday, he was accused and was involved in human organ trafficking (with organs taken out from live abducted people, later killed) during the nineties and lots more.

It could be that coup was a warning from the NATO and CIA, although I think it wasn't, except if maybe it wasn't meant to succeed at all, just to shake things a little. Also, Putin probably knows that Erdogan cant be a reliable partner and ally, so Erdogan's days are over anyway. We will probably see rise in his madness in coming days.

[quote author= Avala]It could be that coup was a warning from the NATO and CIA, although I think it wasn't, except if maybe it wasn't meant to succeed at all, just to shake things a little. Also, Putin probably knows that Erdogan cant be a reliable partner and ally, so Erdogan's days are over anyway. [/quote]

Erdogan is untrustworthy. Most leaders are. But Putin can trust their self-interests. And it is Erdogan self-interest right now to simply survive.

Putin can offer him protection, but only under certain conditions ofcourse. In short, Putin can more or less decide Turkey’s foreign policy. That's what I am hoping for.

It looks coup makers lifted some thing from west's play book.
Soldiers Detained in Turkey Thought Coup Was a Training Exercise
Soldiers arrested for participating in an attempted military coup in Turkey told interrogators that they thought they were on exercises when the attempt began, the Turkish newspaper Hurriyet reported.

The group consisting of 10 officers and 67 soldiers was arrested at the Ataturk international airport in Istanbul.

During interrogation, they said they mistook the coup attempt for a training exercise.

"Only when people started to climb the tanks did we realize what was really going on," one of the detainees was quoted as saying by the newspaper.

According to the soldiers, the colonel, who was in command, ordered to step back when police units arrived.

Looks like Erdogan suspects the US/NATO behind the coup attempt:
https://www.rt.com/news/351606-usa-incirlik-base-turkey-blocked/

Movement in and out of the Incirlik airbase in southern Turkey has been closed by local military authorities, according to the US consulate. The NATO base stores US tactical nuclear weapons.

"Local authorities are denying movements on to and off of Incirlik Air Base. The power there has also been cut," the US consulate in Adana said in a message.

"Please avoid the air base until normal operations have been restored," it added. No further details were provided.

According to CNN, airspace over the area has also been closed and power to the facility has been cut.

The closure of the airspace has reportedly led to a halt in US air strikes against Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL). CNN was told by sources that the Turkish authorities did make an exception for US aircraft that had already been deployed on missions before the airspace was shut and allowed them to land at the base.

The air space will be closed until Turkish authorities gain full control over the situation in the region following the coup attempt, Turkish officials told the US, adding that they want to make sure that all elements of the Turkish air force are under the control of pro-government forces, as some warplanes and helicopters were used by rebels overnight.

The Incirlik airbase is of critical importance to the US military, as not only does it facilitate the US’ aerial operations against terrorists in neighboring Syria and Iraq, but it is also one of six NATO sites in Europe that house tactical nuclear weapons. The exact number of tactical nuclear bombs at the base is classified, although some reports put it at 50 or even 90.

Turkey Detains Several Incirlik Air Base Servicemen on Coup Attempt Links

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Saturday that several servicemen at Incirlik Air Base were detained on coup attempt links in a result of the ongoing special operation.

urkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Saturday that several servicemen at Incirlik Air Base were detained on coup attempt links in a result of the ongoing special operation.
It looks 5 generals, 29 commanders also involved in it. If so,(i am guessing) this may not be a small section of army.

Now, these 188 supreme court justices and almost 2000 of judges also on target. Not sure what to make out of it. It looks Erdogan is adding people to the list or he simply rooting out deep state that is in control for 50 years or the conspiracy is much bigger than initially anticipated.

Laura said:
Looks like Erdogan suspects the US/NATO behind the coup attempt:
https://www.rt.com/news/351606-usa-incirlik-base-turkey-blocked/

Movement in and out of the Incirlik airbase in southern Turkey has been closed by local military authorities, according to the US consulate. The NATO base stores US tactical nuclear weapons.

Turkey Detains Several Incirlik Air Base Servicemen on Coup Attempt Links

http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20160716/1043132331/turkey-arrest-base.html

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Saturday that several servicemen at Incirlik Air Base were detained on coup attempt links in a result of the ongoing special operation.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Saturday that several servicemen at Incirlik Air Base were detained on coup attempt links in a result of the ongoing special operation.

Cavusoglu told Reuters that Turkey would continue its fight against the outlawed in Russia and numerous other countries terrorist organization Daesh as soon as the operation at the base is over.

The coup attempt was suppressed by early Saturday, with Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim stating that all coup supporters were identified and would be apprehended as the country was returning to normal life.

Over 180 people were killed and 1,470 were injured during the events, while nearly 3,000 people have already been detained, according to the prime minister.

Alana said:
Indeed and thank you for sharing, I was looking forward for a perspective from a member who lives in Turkey. My mind is doing extreme gymnastics to understand what happened and why.

I am not ready to like Erdogan yet (whatever his constitution or issues are), and he will need to start making some really wise decisions soon, because a fall of Turkey is going to have a domino effect of huge proportions and very bad outcomes on the whole world I think. Then I might reconsider him. Oh, and especially when he stops murdering Kurdish people and destroying their villages.
You are welcome, Alana :) Thank you for your own input.

Turkey really seems to be a strangely critical country in many strategic terms. Kurds have been one of the most oppressed people both in the history of the Republic of Turkey and specifically now under the AKP rule especially in recent years when they clearly expressed that they are against his Presidential plans. Erdogan is so excessively and pathologically narcissistic that he will, if he can, unblinkingly exterminate any person or people who oppose him. He often curses any community or ideology which tends to oppose him or his policies, activities. He blatantly shuts his eyes to all kinds of terrorists including the IS and almost all other jihadi terrorists who act against those communities or minorities. His fatal wrath against the Kurds is very well known to "feed" the Kurdish terrorist organization, the PKK. This old and nefarious attitude of the Turkish Secret State against almost all domestic communities (minorities, in particular) did not start with Erdogan's government. He just overtly exaggerates it, he can't hide it because of his hubris and his extreme lack of knowledge and care, and I believe this can, and does, ironically help gradually more people wake up, however less they might count, and make a serious pressure on him.

And, when he faced some inescapable bad results of his hubris, he apoligized Russia and kind of "threatened" the PTB on this matter. But this was almost synchronous with his making a dishonorable agreement with Israel over the flotilla massacre. He has been a complete loose cannon. But if he happens to choose a gradually profound cooperation with Russia, he can turn a great catalyst for some good activities in and around Turkey. This seems very improbable to me, especially in the short run. But if he just shows some continuous resolution about developing a sincere strategic cooperation with Russia, China, Iran, etc. against the USA and Israel and others, I gladly would like to support him on this matter. The latest news about the US Base in Incirlik, Turkey, actually appear to be one of them and I hope that this resolution will continue.

I must also mention as I previously did that I have always appreciated and supported Erdogan's struggle against Gulen, who is probably the strongest interface of the PTB in the Turkish State in the late history of the nation. I can easily say that Gulen is a much more detrimental person than Erdogan, and no one else than Erdogan's AKP could effectively fight against Gulen's circle. This is a very strange turn of fate. I sincerely hope that he continues to act against the higher controllers behind Gulen.

http://sputniknews.com/politics/20160716/1043134590/turkey-minister-us.html said:
A Turkish minister accused the US authorities of organizing a military coup attempt in Turkey, Haberturk TV reported.

Turkish Labor Minister Süleyman Soylu claimed that Washington is behind the attempted coup in Turkey.

_https://twitter.com/Conflicts?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw said:
BREAKING: Turkey's top judicial body HSYK orders detention of 2,745 Gülen-linked judges after failed coup attempt - @DailySabah
--
Conflict News ‏@Conflicts 1 hHace 1 hora
BREAKING: Turkish Minister @suleymansoylu announces that #US is behind coup attempt on Haberturk TV - @140journos
--
Conflict News ‏@Conflicts 2 hHace 2 horas
BREAKING: French minister calls all willing citizens to become army reservists - AFP
--
BREAKING: Erdoğan speaks live, calls U.S to hand over Fethullah Gulen if U.S is strategic ally - @CNNTURK_ENG
--
BREAKING: Reports say that government forces have taken the last base held by coup soldiers at #Ankara’s Kazan airfield - @AssetSourceApp
--
Conflict News ‏@Conflicts 46 minHace 46 minutos
BREAKING: Pro-Kurdish HDP offices under attack in by pro-Erdogan supporters in Iskenderun, Malatya and Osmaniye #Turkey - @michaelh992
The "attempt" coup still has other branches?

Add
Conflict News ‏@Conflicts 8 minHace 8 minutos
Fethullah Gulen, whose followers Turkey blames for failed coup, says the attempted overthrow government may have been staged - @NewsweekME

Fethullah Gulen lives in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania.

Below is local news on Gulen via CNN News Wire:

Is Man Living in Poconos Responsible for Military Coup in Turkey?
http://wnep.com/2016/07/15/is-man-living-in-poconos-responsible-for-military-coup-in-turkey/

Low-flying military jets buzzed over Turkey's capital of Ankara. Soldiers blocked major bridges in Istanbul. State-run television announced that the military had imposed martial law.

In an interview via FaceTime on CNN Turk television, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan blamed the coup on an international opposition network.

That movement is led by Fethullah Gulen, a Turkish imam and Islamic scholar who has been living in Pennsylvania in the Saylorsburg area in a compound just off Mount Eaton Road. It's called the Golden Generation Worship and Retreat Center.

Three years ago, after violent clashes in Turkey, protesters gathered near the compound denouncing Gulen and his followers.

Gulen's religious and social teachings and movement are referred to as Hizmet.

[...] Gulen issued a statement in response:

“I condemn, in the strongest terms, the attempted military coup in Turkey.

Government should be won through a process of free and fair elections, not force.

I pray to God for Turkey, for Turkish citizens, and for all those currently in Turkey that this situation is resolved peacefully and quickly.

As someone who suffered under multiple military coups during the past five decades, it is especially insulting to be accused of having any link to such an attempt. I categorically deny such accusations.”

The Alliance for Shared Values, a nonprofit affiliated with Gulen and Hizmet, issued a statement as well.

“For more than 40 years, Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet participants have advocated for, and demonstrated their commitment to, peace and democracy. We have consistently denounced military interventions in domestic politics. These are core values of Hizmet participants. We condemn any military intervention in domestic politics of Turkey.

Events on the ground are moving quickly and it would be irresponsible for us to speculate on them. We remain concerned about the safety and security of Turkish citizens and those in Turkey right now.

Comments by pro-Erdogan circles about the movement are highly irresponsible.”

Erdogan urged people to take to the streets against the military. He vowed to return Ankara. His location was unclear.

"This was done from outside the chain of command," he said, adding that lower-ranking officers had rebelled against senior officers.

"In history, nowhere in the world has a coup been successful," Erdogan added. "Sooner or later, they all fail."

Meanwhile, thousands across Istanbul and Ankara began flooding the streets alongside military tanks.

Famously sensitive to criticism, Erdogan is no stranger to controversy. Here's how he rose to power and divided a country.

The bitter divide over a leader "So long as you love the people sincerely and deeply, people will love you," Erdogan told CNN in March.

But the population is bitterly divided between citizens who love -- or loathe -- their president.

Along with deadly jihadist bombings and rising tensions with the country's largest ethnic minority, Turkey is perhaps more internally politically polarized than ever.

Since the beginning of the Syrian uprising, Erdogan has used the conflict as an opportunity to crack down on the Kurdish Workers Party (PKK). The militant group has been battling the Turkish state for decades and is listed as a terrorist organization by NATO, the U.S. and the EU.

The strategy "stoked the fires of Kurdish grievances, and the PKK returned the favor in-kind -- ratcheting up its terror attacks on the Turkish state, mainly against security institutions like the police, which have increased in number and frequency over the past five years," according to Lina Khatib, head of the Middle East and North Africa Programme at Chatham House.

But Erdogan also benefited. He used the attacks to portray himself as the man protecting the nation from terrorism.

However, Erdogan's image has been tarnished by strict internet censorship -- Twitter, Facebook and YouTube are frequently blocked in Turkey -- and the wholesale sacking of police officers and prosecutors who had investigated his government for corruption.

'I'm not at war with the press'

In March, Erodgan's critics accused him of launching a nationwide crackdown on dissent in the media -- and society at large.

Turkish authorities seized control of the country's largest newspaper earlier this year. Turkish journalists were tried for espionage after publishing a video allegedly showing the intelligence agency funneling weapons into Syria.

"I'm not at war with the press," Erdogan insisted.

Insulting the president is a crime in Turkey. More than 1,800 cases have been filed since Erdogan took office in 2014, according to the country's Justice Minister.

Turkey's troubled relationship with the media has long been a point of contention for the European Union, which has said freedom of the press and of expression are nonnegotiable conditions for joining the EU. Erdogan has called these concerns "irrelevant obstacles."

From prime minister to president Erogan is the co-founder of Turkey's ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP). He was elected prime minister in 2003. Under his rule, Turkey became a powerhouse in the Middle East. His reign came to an end in 2014, and his own party's rules prevented him from seeking a fourth term. So, he ran for president -- and won.

Before this, the president of Turkey was a largely ceremonial role, but Erdogan tried to change that by altering the constitution to give him more power.

The 2015 election resulted in a hung Parliament, leading to sweeping anti-government protests and terror attacks. Turkey held a snap election, and with that, Erdogan's AK Party regained control.

Under Erdogan, who is extremely conservative, religion has started to play a more important role in Turkey, which is a largely secular country. He was active in Islamist circles in the 1970s and 1980s.

A champion of pious, working class Turks, Erdogan had until recently presided over a prolonged period of economic expansion.

But the heady days when Erdogan pushed reformist agenda and lobbied to win Turkey's membership in the European Union have long faded.

Who is Fethullah Gulen, the man blamed for coup attempt in Turkey?
http://wnep.com/2016/07/16/who-is-fethullah-gulen-the-man-blamed-for-coup-attempt-in-turkey/

SAYLORSBURG, Pa. — Was a plan to overthrow Turkey’s government really hatched behind a gated compound in a small, leafy Pennsylvania town, or is that merely a smoke screen?

In the throes of a military coup attempt, Turkey’s embattled president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, pointed the finger of blame squarely at his bitter rival: Fethullah Gulen.

At the center of this rivalry, a fundamental division in Turkish society between secularists — some within the country’s top military brass — and Islamists, including Erdogan’s AKP party.

It’s this division that’s destabilizing one of America’s most important allies in the Middle East.

And at the center of all this is Gulen, a reclusive cleric who leads a popular movement called Hizmet.

Who is this mysterious man in Pennsylvania? The 75-year old imam went into self-imposed exile when he moved from Turkey to the United States in 1999 and settled in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania.

He rarely speaks to journalists and has turned down interview requests from CNN for more than four years.

Supporters describe Gulen as a moderate Muslim cleric who champions interfaith dialogue. Promotional videos show him meeting with Pope John Paul II in the Vatican in the 1990s. He also met frequently with rabbis and Christian priests in Turkey.

Gulen has a loyal following — known as Gulenists — in Turkey, who all subscribe to the Hizmet movement.

Hizmet is a global initiative inspired by Gulen, who espouses what The New York Times has described as “a moderate, pro-Western brand of Sunni Islam that appeals to many well-educated and professional Turks.” NGOs founded by the Hizmet movement, including hundreds of secular co-ed schools, free tutoring centers, hospitals and relief agencies, are credited with addressing many of Turkey’s social problems.

The preacher and his movement also spawned a global network of schools and universities that operate in more than 100 countries.

In the United States, this academic empire includes Harmony Public Schools, the largest charter school network in Texas.

Within Turkey, volunteers in the Gulen movement also own TV stations, the largest-circulation newspaper, gold mines and at least one Turkish bank.

Gulen: a coup architect or a scapegoat? As a wave of violence washed over Turkey Friday night, leaving at least 161 people dead, a defiant Erdogan addressed his country, telling them that the coup had been quashed.

And he seemed to assign blame to “those in Pennsylvania,” a not-so-veiled reference to Gulen.

“The betrayal you have shown to this nation and to this community, that’s enough. If you have the courage, come back to your country. If you can. You will not have the means to turn this country into a mess from where you are,” he said.

Erdogan is demanding punishment for the man he deems responsible.

“I call on the United States and President Barack Obama. Dear Mr. President, I told you this before. Either arrest Fethullah Gulen or return him to Turkey. You didn’t listen. I call on you again, after there was a coup attempt. Extradite this man in Pennsylvania to Turkey! If we are strategic partners or model partners, do what is necessary,” Erdogan said.

In a statement, Gulen denied any connection to the coup attempt and even suggested the whole thing may have been staged.

“I do not say this is the case, only that it could be the case,” he said.

Gulen also condemned the coup attempt in his statement.

“As someone who suffered under multiple military coups during the past five decades, it is especially insulting to be accused of having any link to such an attempt. I categorically deny such accusations,” Gulen said.

His supporters from the Alliance for Shared Values on Developments in Turkey also denied Gulen’s involvement in a statement released on Friday.

“For more than 40 years, Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet participants have advocated for, and demonstrated their commitment to, peace and democracy. We condemn any military intervention in domestic politics of Turkey. Comments by pro-Erdogan circles about the movement are highly irresponsible,” the group said.

Not the first coup accusation The Turkish government also accused Gulen’s supporters of spearheading an unsuccessful coup attempt in Turkey in January 2014.

Erdogan, a religious conservative, has compared Gulen and his supporters to a virus and a medieval cult of assassins.

In an interview with CNN at the time, a top official from Erdogan’s ruling AKP party called the Gulen movement a “fifth column” that had infiltrated the Turkish police force and judiciary.

“We are confronted by a structure that doesn’t take orders from within the chain of command of the state,” parliament member and deputy AKP chairman Mahir Unal told CNN. “Rather, it takes orders from outside the state.”

During the 2014 skirmish, in a rare email interview published in The Wall Street Journal, Gulen denied any involvement in a political conspiracy.

“We will never be a part of any plot against those who are governing our country,” he wrote.

Gulen and Erdogan: fierce adversaries The rivalry seen today has not always existed. In fact, throughout much of the last decade, the Gulen movement was also a strong Erdogan supporter.

Pro-Gulen media outlets backed sprawling investigations of alleged coup plots organized by Turkish military commanders. Dozens of military officers, as well as secular writers, academics and businessmen, waited for years in prison for trials that critics called witch hunts.

At that time, it also became increasingly dangerous to criticize the Gulen movement.

Police arrested and imprisoned writer Ahmet Sik for more than a year, accusing him of supporting a terrorist organization. A court banned his book “The Imam’s Army,” which took a critical look at the Gulen movement, before it was even published.

Now out of prison, Sik said the long-standing alliance between Turkey’s two most prominent Islamic leaders — Erdogan and Gulen — had collapsed into a bitter power struggle.

“There was a forced marriage, and the fight that began with who would lead the family is continuing as an ugly divorce,” Sik told CNN.

“On the one side, there is the Gulen community, a dark and opaque power that can damage the most powerful administration in Turkish history. And on the other side, you have an administration that under the guise of fighting this community can and has suspended all legal and democratic principles,” he said.

Turkish government says situation under control; air base used by U.S. closed
http://wnep.com/2016/07/15/turkish-military-units-attempt-uprising-pm-says/

Turkey’s government said Saturday it was firmly in control after a coup attempt the night before sparked violence and chaos, leaving 161 people dead.

Friday’s uprising by some members of the military is the latest worrying example of deteriorating stability in a country that a few years ago was being promoted to the wider Muslim world as a model of democratic governance and economic prosperity.

Some 14 years after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s political party swept to power in elections, Turkey once again teeters on the brink.

The turmoil exposes deep discontent within the military ranks and a defiant Erdogan has vowed to purge those traitorous elements. But less than 24 hours after the attempted putsch, questions remained about who masterminded it and why they decided to act now.

Key air base closed Turkish military authorities, meanwhile, closed the airspace around Turkey’s Incirlik Air Base — the site Turkey allows the United States to use for operations related to its air campaign against ISIS in Syria and Iraq — a U.S. defense official told CNN on Saturday.

This has led to a halt in U.S. airstrike missions from that location, the official said on condition of anonymity. Turkish officials told the United States that the airspace has been closed until they can make sure all elements of the Turkish air force are in the hands of pro-government forces after Friday’s coup attempt, the U.S. official said.

Still, a small number of U.S. planes that already were on missions before the airspace closed have been allowed to return and land at Incirlik, the official said, adding that there is no clear understanding about how long the airspace closure will last.

Earlier, the U.S. consulate in Adana reported that power to the base had been cut and local authorities were preventing movement onto and off the site. The consulate warned U.S. citizens to avoid the area.

The base is home to the Turkish Air Force and the U.S. Air Force’s 39th Air Base Wing, which includes about 1,500 American personnel, according to the base website.

Uprising ‘under control’ The Turkish military claim of a takeover was read by an anchor on state broadcaster TRT. She said the military imposed martial law.

The military said it seized control of the country to maintain democratic order, adding that the “political administration that has lost all legitimacy has been forced to withdraw.”

The attempted coup appeared to lose momentum after Erdogan returned from a vacation at the seaside resort of Marmaris and declared his government was in control. But by the time he re-emerged after hours of silence, dozens of people had died in the violence.

Of the 161 deaths, most were police officers killed in a gunfire exchange with a helicopter near the Parliament complex in Ankara, Turkey’s NTV reported. It said the building was damaged.

An additional 1,140 people were wounded, said Yildirim.

A total of 2,839 military officers were detained, a source in the President’s office said. And the Ankara chief public prosecutor’s office took nearly 200 top Turkish court officials into custody, Anatolian News Agency reported Saturday.

The officials include 140 members of the Supreme Court and 48 members of the Council of State, one of Turkey’s three high courts.

8 seek asylum in Greece - A Turkish helicopter carrying eight men landed in Greece Saturday and the men aboard requested political asylum, Greek government spokeswoman Olga Gerovasili said.

In response to this news, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu tweeted that Turkey has “requested the immediate surrender of eight heinous soldiers who escaped to Greece with a helicopter.”

Later, he tweeted that Greece agreed to return the “traitors” as soon as possible.

Earlier, Gerovasili said Greece was considering the asylum request, and the helicopter — which landed at an airport in Alexandroupoli, near the Turkish border — would be returned to Turkish authorities. The helicopter landed after issuing a distress signal regarding a mechanical failure, she added.

(Article continues - repeat of info already posted above.)

Mr.Cyan said:
Laura said:
No, I'm not even suggesting a personality disorder so much as a person who is normal/wounded like everyone, in a certain position where all kinds of people and energies act on that person and they are not stable enough inside to withstand the pressures and they just kind of go nuts.

Thanks Laura for the food for thought concerning Erdogan; been thinking about it since I read your post, and I really too am not sure at this point.

Thinking back to the past, couple of points stand out to me, that make me think that he is a psychopath:
1. His reactions/actions right after the downing of the Russian SU-24 - then again he could have been under strict guidance from his "masters".
2. His family being involved in the sale of illegal ISIS smuggled oil, as exposed on RT

However when watching the videos of the coup on RT, in the videos, there were lots of people on the street resisting the attempted coup (even trying to stop tanks by lying on the road), and being jubilant when the attempt failed.

Then there was also Putin's statement after the downing of the jet - where he clearly mentioned that Turkey "backstabbed" Russia. Knowing that he understands psychopathy, and with the information he had on Erdogan from the FSB - maybe he was surprised as well at Erdogan's actions ?

Also, as you pointed, psychopaths actually don't care what people say or think about them.

Well I'm not sure, and I guess Erdogan's actions/reactions in the coming weeks will tell us more.

At the time of the shootdown of the Russian plane last year, I wrote an article (or two) suggesting that Erdogan and co. didn't order the shootdown, that they found out about it after the fact. That still seems like the most likely scenario to me, especially given recent event where he eventually apologized to Putin and his shocking recent Uturn on Syria. Then we have the coup to oust him. If there's one thing we've learned about the actions of the CIA/Western powers over the past 70 years, it's that very few coups in strategically important countries happen without them being involved in it somehow, and when they happen, it's because the ruling party in that country had fallen out of favor with the West/CIA.

In the articles I wrote, I also detailed the ramified power networks in Turkey, the most powerful of which has its origins in Gladio/NATO 'stay behind' networks during the cold war. When Erdogan came to power, he undoubtedly already knew about, or soon found out about the power of these groups, primarily ensconced in the civilian and military infrastructure. It seems to me that Erdogan's authoritarian leanings over the past few years have been evidence of his and his buddies attempts to wrest control away from these groups. That effort, and his recent turn towards Russia and switcheroo on Syria was a bridge too far for the 'reality creators' in the USA, and they cobbled together a hasty coup that fell flat, largely because of the efforts Erdogan and co had made to appeal to the large majority of Turks who (apart from the Kurds) seem to be very well disposed towards Erdogan. In addition, recent events seems to suggest that Erdogan has finally understood that he can't go it alone, that he has to pick a side for Turkey to align with in 'cold war 2' between the West and Russia/China. And he seems to be learning towards Russia/China. There isn't, after all, much love to be lost between Turkey and the EU/NATO.

So there's a possibility now that Erdogan can use the failed coup to purge as many of the fifth column members as possible, and give himself more room to pursue a sovereign choice. If he's even half smart, he'll throw his lot in with Russia, which can provide very significant help and protection.

Kerry Blasts Turkey for Insinuating that Washington Plotted Coup of Erdogan

The United States expressed concern that their longtime NATO ally and critical regional partner believed that Washington would try to overthrow their government calling the claims "harmful to bilateral relations."

US Secretary of State John Kerry told Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavosoglu on Saturday that public claims suggesting that American officials masterminded the failed coup attempt in Turkey were categorically false and were harmful to relations between the two longtime NATO allies.

Hopefully fear will make Erdogan side fully with Russia. Since making a choose out of conscience is out of the question for him. Will he even survive in the days to come? I mean, with enemies like that. You better watch your back. Unless you’re Fidel Castro. This guy is unkillable.

There are some "Fake vs Fact" articles related to Turkey. Some borders flat-earth arguments. some view Gulen as a innocent imam and other accuse him of running parallel structure in Turkey with extraordinary secrecy from 100 acre farm in PA . Here are some articles sheds some light on Gulen network/movements.

1. Fethullah Gülen's Grand Ambition: Turkey's Islamist Danger _http://www.meforum.org/2045/fethullah-gulens-grand-ambition

This 2009 article goes into Erdogan's excesses ( control of media through law suits, transferring the business to Gulen supporters, judiciary, Islamization of secular Turkey) etc with the help of the Gulen network. Note that until 2013, Gulen and Erdogan are using each other. Article goes into how deep Gulen network entrenched in police, military, Judiciary, media and how they groom their subjects using their schools. This literally parallels antics of secret societies in US. This also goes into US connection to Gulen and how erdogan benifitted from that connection at the beginning.
Gülen's Education Network
The core of Gülen's network is his educational institutions. His school network is impressive. Nurettin Veren, Gülen's right-hand man for thirty-five years, estimated that some 75 percent of Turkey's two million preparatory school students are enrolled in Gülen institution. He controls thousands of top-tier secondary schools, colleges, and student dormitories throughout Turkey, as well as private universities, the largest being Fatih University in Istanbul. Outside Turkey, his movement runs hundreds of secondary schools and dozens of universities in 110 countries worldwide. Gülen's aim is not altruistic: His followers target youth in the eighth through twelfth grades, mentor and indoctrinate them in the ışıkevi, educate them in the Fethullah schools, and prepare them for future careers in legal, political, and educational professions in order to create the ruling classes of the future Islamist, Turkish state. Taking their orders from Fethullah Gülen, wealthy followers continue to open schools and ışıkevi in what Sabah columnist Emre Aköz called "the education jihad."

The overt network of schools is only one part of a larger strategy. In a 2006 interview, Veren said, "These schools are like shop windows. Recruitment and Islamization activities are carried out through night classes ... Children whom we educated in Turkey are now in the highest positions. There are governors, judges, military officers. There are ministers in the government. They consult Gülen before doing anything.

Beyond Turkey, the Fethullahist schools also serve as fertile recruiting grounds. In his Institut d'Etudes Politiques doctoral thesis on Gülen schools in Central Asia, Bayram Balcı, a French scholar of Turkish origin, wrote, "Fethullah's aim is the Islamization of Turkish nationality and the Turcification of Islam in foreign countries.
Several countries in the region have taken steps against Gülen's educational institutions because of such suspicions. Uzbekistan has banned the schools for encouraging Islamic law,[17] and the Russian government, weary of the movement's activities in majority Muslim regions of the federation, has banned not only the Gülen schools but all activities of the entire Nur sect in the country.
Eviscerating Checks and Balances

Fethullahists have also made inroads into Turkey's 200,000-strong police force. Their infiltration has had a compounding effect, as Fethullahist officials have purged officials more loyal to the republic than the hocaefendi.
Wiretapping scandals in spring 2008 also highlighted Gülenist penetration of the security service's most important units. After the Turkish Security Directorate obtained a blanket court permit in April 2007 to monitor and record all the communications in Turkey including mobile and land-line telephones, SMS text messaging, e-mail, fax, and Internet communications,[27]
Many Turkish journalists believe that Fethullahist-dominated police tap their communications, and according to reports, the head of the wiretapping unit, who was appointed by Erdoğan in August 2005, is a Fethullah follower.
The AKP government has also aided the Gülen movement with its reorientation of the judiciary. Over the first five years of his rule, Erdoğan replaced thousands of judges and prosecutors with AKP appointees. Now that the president is Islamist, it is unlikely that he would veto the appointment of Islamists to the bench, as did his predecessor Ahmet Necdet Sezer
During AKP's 6-year rule, the government has seized control of several media outlets and subsequently sold them to pro-AKP holdings affiliated with the Gülen community. In April 2007, for example, the governmental Saving Deposit Insurance Fund (Tasarruf Mevduatı Sigorta Fonu, TMSF) seized Sabah-ATV, Turkey's second largest media group in a predawn raid. The TMSF, staffed by Erdoğan appointees, then sold the group to Çalık Holding, the CEO of which is Erdoğan's son-in-law. Çalık financed the purchase with public funds taken as loans from two state-owned banks and by partnering with a newly-founded, Qatar-based media company that bought 25 percent of Sabah shares.
What Are Gülen's Intentions?

In 1999, Turkish television aired footage of Gülen delivering sermons to a crowd of followers in which he revealed his aspirations for an Islamist Turkey ruled by Shari‘a (Islamic law) as well as the methods that should be used to attain that goal. In the sermons, he said:

You must move in the arteries of the system without anyone noticing your existence until you reach all the power centers … until the conditions are ripe, they [the followers] must continue like this. If they do something prematurely, the world will crush our heads, and Muslims will suffer everywhere, like in the tragedies in Algeria, like in 1982 [in] Syria … like in the yearly disasters and tragedies in Egypt. The time is not yet right. You must wait for the time when you are complete and conditions are ripe, until we can shoulder the entire world and carry it … You must wait until such time as you have gotten all the state power, until you have brought to your side all the power of the constitutional institutions in Turkey … Until that time, any step taken would be too early—like breaking an egg without waiting the full forty days for it to hatch. It would be like killing the chick inside. The work to be done is [in] confronting the world. Now, I have expressed my feelings and thoughts to you all—in confidence … trusting your loyalty and secrecy. I know that when you leave here—[just] as you discard your empty juice boxes, you must discard the thoughts and the feelings that I expressed here.
U.S. Government Support for Gülen?
Many Turkish analysts believe that, prior to Erdoğan's election, Gülen and his supporters in the U.S. government helped obtain an invitation to the White House for him at a time when Erdoğan was banned from politics in Turkey due to his Islamist activities—an event viewed as a U.S. endorsement ahead of the 2002 Turkish elections. That the U.S. government and, specifically, the Central Intelligence Agency support the Gülen movement is conventional wisdom among Turkey's secular elite even though no hard evidence exists to support such allegations.

Author Bio: Rachel Sharon-Krespin is the director of the Turkish Media Project at the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI), Washington D.C.
2. Gulen Chartered schools : _http://gulencharterschools.weebly.com/
This website is more of nature of complaints related to Publicly funded Gulen affiliated schools in US . Biggest complaint are secrecy, extra care to some students who tend to give good fame to the school, lobbying with govt. officials, fund transfers between charitables to non-charitable businesses related to the network etc.

3. 2014 WikiLeaks:Things to know about the Gulen empire trying to take down Erdogan https://www.sott.net/article/322273-2014-WikiLeaks-Things-to-know-about-the-Gulen-empire-trying-to-take-down-Erdogan
This is more about the battle between erdogan and Gulen as wikileaks found either in 2013 or 2014 after they parted ways.
U.S. embassy cables, citing Turkish sources knowledgeable about the movement, estimate the movement may have anywhere from 2 millionto 5 million adherents. Many of them are well-placed, holding public office or workingin the police or judiciary. The organization supports a number of entrepreneurial ventures, and much of the movement's wealth — which is thought to be a considerable fortune, the size of which is masked by the variety of charitable interests through which it filters — stems from convoluted business conglomerations and trade associations. Gulenist businessmen have paid forward this noblesse by establishing a network of science-focused schools around the world, particularly in Central Asia and Africa, but also in the United States.

If what is written in the above articles is correct, Erdogan has every reason to become paranoid about Gulen's network and it may make sense why erdogan blamed Gulen network for Russian flight downing and why he is doing so many purgings now. It's a network he immensely benefited from while enriching it and now he is facing it. Added to that, being stuck between US and Russia, Erdogan is in a big pickle. In short, Erdogan doesn't have control over the turkey. I won't be surprised, if there is another coup.

Back
Top Bottom