Keto recipes

Tomek said:
Laura said:
ut the coconut milk, butter, coconut oil, sweetener in the pot. (I use a heat disperser on a gas stove under the pot.) When it gets hot and starts steaming and looking like it wants to get close to boiling, drizzle the egg yolks in while beating constantly with a whisk (or electric mixer). Continue heating while stirring well constantly. Don't let it boil. It will thicken some... at this point, I added a couple of teaspoons of plain gelatin. I just sprinkled it on the top and whisked it in quickly. Then, after about a minute, I put the pot into cold water in the sink and kept stirring for a few minutes. Then, added the vanilla and ladled into dessert dishes and put in the fridge.

I tried a first batch of coconut cream custard and it was a catastrophe. The taste is good but the texture is godawful, very "granular". Maybe I applied too much heat, maybe I didn't stir enough.

Making custard needs a delicate touch and close attention. If your custard was granular, it got too hot, too fast and/or you did not whisk the eggs in slowly and carefully enough.

I guess I'll get the guys here to video me making the next batch so you can see it in real time, exactly as I do it.

Altair said:
could somebody please post a simple receipt for self-made chocolate? I can't manage to get it done myself

Here you go:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,31379.msg418461.html#msg418461

That's one way to do it, but other people add more ingredients depending on their level of tolerance.

Laura said:
I guess I'll get the guys here to video me making the next batch so you can see it in real time, exactly as I do it.

That would be great! :)

And I got coconut milk. Any Dominican Republic immigrant knows where to find it. I'm ready for this experiment :thup:

Laura said:
Approaching Infinity said:
That's right. Our butter is 82%, with 370 g of fat in one box (452 g). Using just that much butter, plus our Kara coconut cream, that would bring the custard we make here to 125 g per serving (1/10 of total batch)!

Which means that the fat bomb can deliver almost your entire day's load of fat!

You can say that again. The fat bomb is so filling and satisfying I had to slowly nurse it like it was an alcoholic beverage while drinking. A small amount goes a long way. It stays with you the whole day too.

When AI made the custard I couldn't finish it all and had to save the rest for the next day.... and I ain't one for putting food aside!

The fat bomb is the bomb. :lol:

Today's batch: I increased the gelatin to 2 TBsps. and added it to the cold coconut milk before beginning the heating. It makes a NICE texture.

At this point, I don't see any need to eat anything else except breakfast, and then a small bit of meat and the Fat Bomb in mid/late afternoon. My system feels so sated that I don't even want anything else. That means effective intermittent fasting which helps re-tool DNA and that's good!

I never thought I would be able to get down the amount of fat that all the books and experts say you have to consume to do this right. Not only that, but LIKE it.

Laura said:
Yes indeedy!

In fact, it reminds me of the first time I ever heard of the "carbohydrate diet". I was working in the foodstamp office in FL back in 1979 and one of the lead workers brought in a plastic bowl of chocolate pudding with a thick layer of whipped cream on top; that was her lunch EVERY DAY. It was diet pudding, with almost no calories (evil artificial sweetener I'm sure) and the cream was the fat part. She swore by the diet and never seemed to be tired of her pudding lunch.

Well, I understand you can whip coconut cream too, so anyone who has to pack a lunch can just take this little gem along with them. I would make sure it was very cold in the morning and then it would still be cool by lunchtime.

So, you could make a big batch once a week and pour it into little covered glass dishes and have it ready to go every day.

Thank you for the suggestions Laura! I'm looking forward to the video :D For Coconut whipped cream I found this, seems pretty easy: _http://ohsheglows.com/2012/08/30/coconut-whipped-cream-a-step-by-step-photo-tutorial/ (of course replacing the sugar)

I am a bit concerned about lowering the amount of meat - meaning chewable meat - eg pork chops, etc.,if we follow these recipes and only have breakfast.

The reason being is not for the protein but for our teeth.. I have noticed mine get a bit wobbly sometimes when I check them. Ithink this is because I am having more fried and then braised food - to get enough fat/bone broth in the meal. So although such food is also better for the stomach digestion - there is very little proper chewing going on for the benefit of our teeth.

I don't welcome the idea of tougher meat for breakfast! But I am not sure the best way to keep our teeth and gums in good healthy working conditiion!

Suggestions most welcome.

happyliza said:
I am a bit concerned about lowering the amount of meat - meaning chewable meat - eg pork chops, etc.,if we follow these recipes and only have breakfast.

The reason being is not for the protein but for our teeth.. I have noticed mine get a bit wobbly sometimes when I check them. Ithink this is because I am having more fried and then braised food - to get enough fat/bone broth in the meal. So although such food is also better for the stomach digestion - there is very little proper chewing going on for the benefit of our teeth.

I don't welcome the idea of tougher meat for breakfast! But I am not sure the best way to keep our teeth and gums in good healthy working conditiion!

You don't only have to have breakfast. It depends on your needs, if you feel better chewing something, then why not a pork chop? If you have your formula and an idea of how much protein you can have to stay on ketosis, then you can keep that in mind.

My 2 cents! :)

happyliza said:

Nobody says you have to. I just said that was what I was going to do experimentally. You can educate yourself and do as you like.

happyliza said:

If your teeth are getting "wobbly", then you have a bigger problem than eating fried or braised food. Chewing does not "benefit" the teeth; just the contrary and most dental problems such as you describe are due to autoimmune conditions.

Well, my Fat Bomb Custard attempt in currently in the fridge chilling out. I adjusted Laura's latest recipe a little bit, but the warm milkshake test was so delicious it was hard to put it in the fridge! :D

Here's what I used (tonight was a trial run so next time there will be a definite recipe and measurements) - I put the 13.5 oz coconut milk can in the fridge so it separated, and only used the cream; added a half-pound of Kerrygold butter; half a jar of coconut oil; 12 egg yolks; 5 packets of stevia since I didn't have any xylitol on hand; and a little bit of vanilla.

All went smoothly, but I did notice some build up of what might be lightly cooked egg whites in the bottom of the pot. Any way to avoid this?

P.S. - Thank you all for posting your recipe suggestions!! <3

A Jay said:
All went smoothly, but I did notice some build up of what might be lightly cooked egg whites in the bottom of the pot. Any way to avoid this?

Reduce heat and stir constantly. Use a heat disperser.

Laura said:
A Jay said:

I've yet to try the fat bomb custard. I made a batch of the shake last night, pored some out of the fridge to take with me to work this morning, and when I did reheat it, I must have heated it too much because the butter separated from the coconut milk/cream and had a curdled texture. So it would seem gentle heat, lots of stirring and don't let it boil!!

Laura said:
A Jay said:

I meant to ask, what is a heat disperser?

Arwenn said:
Laura said:
A Jay said:

I meant to ask, what is a heat disperser?

Basically anything that spreads the heat evenly around the bottom of the pan (known more commonly as a heat diffuser)

You can get a similar effect by placing the pot containing the mixture inside another, larger pot, full of boiling water.

Laura said:
A Jay said:

I have done it yesterday and it is just amazingly delicious.

Thanks so much Laura for that recipe. It is going to be a lot easier to eat more fat. :dance:

Here's a picture:

Attachments

• DSC05098.JPG
    DSC05098.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 435
Back
Top Bottom