Keto recipes

dugdeep said:
I'm convinced 90% of the negative effect of coffee is due to mycotoxins.

I had flare-up of rashes after my coffee experience the other day. Now it is calming down. I threw away the rest of the coffee! If there is an easy way to nuke out the mycotoxins, good. As it is, I don't crave it so I'll just drop it for now.

Laura said:
Nienna said:
If someone is allergic to eggs, would that only be the whites they are allergic to, or is that something that someone with this condition would have to try to find out?

Usually, people who cannot tolerate eggs are sensitive to the whites, not the yolks. It sort of goes with almond allergy.

Laura said:
davey72 said:
Laura said:
I reduced the fat just a tad today because we are all getting overloaded around here. Also increased the gelatin to 4 tablespoons for a liter of coconut milk, 3/4 of a 500 gram chunk of butter, and 1 cup of coconut oil. Still 24 egg yolks. Even though I didn't have a curdle, I added the two tablespoons of water and used the immersion blender. The texture was like silk and very light! Amazing stuff.

Maybe i am wrong, but i thought you once said that you couldn't tolerate coconut, as it is a seed. Did you have to readapt to it?

A couple of years ago I had a pretty negative reaction to eating coconut flesh. This time around, I decided to give the fat and milk another try and so far, so good. The same thing happened with butter. I couldn't eat it for over two years, only could tolerate ghee. Now butter seems to be okay. I think that when your gut heals, you don't have as many problems though, of course, there are quite a few things I'm not willing to risk.

Well... I don't tolerate eggs very well and coconut products seemed to have a bad impact on my skin, but I can't resist trying this Fat Bombs so I'll give it a try without the egg whites. I think butter is out of question for me since dairy products have always been a major problem in my health, and I can't get organic butter around here, so I'll have to modify the recipe a bit.

I also did a recipe using tallow, bone broth, eggs, stevia and cocoa powder which turned out to be delicious. I guess you can also add coconut milk, cream and oil to it, and it will give a nice flavour and consistency, besides the good fats. I posted it here: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,24401.msg463421.html#msg463421

The picture there is for the first time I did the experiment, then I made it again using lard instead of tallow, and the overall consistency was better by adding more eggs and using less water.

I didn't count the exact amount of carbs and fat but I can write a nice recipe for it and do that :)

Here's a picture of the last one I did:

Attachments

• chocogelatina de huesos.jpg
    chocogelatina de huesos.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 332
Yas said:
Well... I don't tolerate eggs very well and coconut products seemed to have a bad impact on my skin, but I can't resist trying this Fat Bombs so I'll give it a try without the egg whites. I think butter is out of question for me since dairy products have always been a major problem in my health, and I can't get organic butter around here, so I'll have to modify the recipe a bit.

Hope it works out for you! Unfortunately the bomb causes bloating in my case, I think I'm sensitive to coconut as well. I kinda already knew it from past experiences, but I thought that maybe I would be able to handle it better now. I will still try to see if the coconut milk is better (I know the oil is tricky for me), I'm going to be making the whipped cream with it and see how that goes.

I think that in my case, I'm going to add fat to my bone broth and have that as my fat bomb for now. I don't really mind the taste so much. Overall, I seem to do best on animal fats, and okay on butter.

Laura said:
sitta said:
The only deviation from the preparation was adding lemon juice to the egg yolks and bitting them together. Also I didn't add gelatin, so the texture was little more loose than a pudding's consistency is. Not that it matter to me much, I chugged the first portion right after custard was chilled a little bit :P.

After some thoughts I decided to use less xylitol (2 maybe 3 tsp) and use powdered vit C to create the sourich taste insted of lemon juice. After that I will experiment with cacao powder.

If you want to add lemon juice, don't add it to the egg yolks as it will partially "cook" them and may cause lumps or may make your custard runny, as you describe. Put it in the coconut/fat mixture. You may also wish to use more gelatin.

Thank you for the advice Laura :D

I made another batch of lemony custard with the tips and it was better than my previous one. The texture was very creamy and smooth. Far better when one want to take this deliciousness to work.

After that I made one with cacao powder. I didn't change the xylitol ratio and it was a little bitter, just the way I like it. I'm not really fan of sweet things.

In the next custard I will try cinnamon and ginger combination.

Arwenn said:
OK, so following on from this thread here, I thought it might be an idea to share our keto recipes, as most of the other threads on this topic are pre-keto. I'll start with Laura's great recipes:

DEVILLED EGGS
Laura said:
I invented a new way to get more fat last night:

Make deviled eggs and use homemade mayo PLUS a big chunk of softened butter to whip with the yolks to make the egg filling. And when I say big chunk, that's what I used! They were yummy and buttery tasting!

What is everybody using for the mayo? Olive oil?

Gaby said:
I've used grapeseed oil and melted lard (pork fat) in two separate batches the last couple of times I made it. I'm not sure if it would work well with melted suet (beef fat) unless it's combined with a 'softer' fat.

truth seeker said:
Gaby said:
I've used grapeseed oil and melted lard (pork fat) in two separate batches the last couple of times I made it. I'm not sure if it would work well with melted suet (beef fat) unless it's combined with a 'softer' fat.

Yeah, I had the idea that some used lard. The olive oil is a much better "softer" fat than grapeseed oil though, the later one tends to contribute with the pro-inflammatory pathways. It was used in the early days, although I don't think it is very much used now.

Gaby said:
Arwenn said:
OK, so following on from this thread here, I thought it might be an idea to share our keto recipes, as most of the other threads on this topic are pre-keto. I'll start with Laura's great recipes:

DEVILLED EGGS
Laura said:
I invented a new way to get more fat last night:

Make deviled eggs and use homemade mayo PLUS a big chunk of softened butter to whip with the yolks to make the egg filling. And when I say big chunk, that's what I used! They were yummy and buttery tasting!

I use macadamia oil, only disadvantage that I can see is the price, although here in Oz it's tolerable.

Gaby said:
truth seeker said:
Gaby said:

Yeah, I had the idea that some used lard. The olive oil is a much better "softer" fat than grapeseed oil though, the later one tends to contribute with the pro-inflammatory pathways. It was used in the early days, although I don't think it is very much used now.

Yeah. We've pretty much given up on grapeseed oil though, at the time, it seemed the lesser of many evils. Extra virgin, cold-pressed olive oil works well enough.

Gaby said:
truth seeker said:
Gaby said:

Agree. I haven't used grapeseed oil in quite some time now. I favored lard (and still do) because I personally found it to be less or non-inflammatory. It can also lend an interesting flavor if it's rendered from bacon.

I found using a light flavored olive oil tastes better than extra virgin for making mayonnaise. Although the extra virgin is no doubt more healthy.

Is there some secret to using an immersion blender when making it? I've seen videos where people just put the egg yolk, vinegar, and oil all in at the same time, and just turn it on and it mixes perfectly. I tried that and it didn't emulsify. I got frustrated and just tossed in another yolk and got out the hand whisk. Is it better to add it drop by drop, just like when hand whisking?

I was going to give mayo a try since I bought some organic eggs for Easter. I really enjoy mayo, but I always end up with a sore shoulder from all the whisking.

We use the whisk attachment to the immersion blender. Have you looked on youtube for any mayo making videos?

Laura said:
We use the whisk attachment to the immersion blender. Have you looked on youtube for any mayo making videos?

I also use the whisk attachment for the mayonnaise, but some people use the immersion blender and it turns out fine. I think the consistency is better when using the whisk attachment and, for what I know, the secret is to pour the oil very slowly while whisking, at least, this seems to be very important in the beginning of the process...

I just checked the videos for mayo on youtube. All of them are lousy. We'll make one.

Back
Top Bottom