Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Ariadna said:
After 10 days of flu symptoms, I suddenly got worse, with extreme weakness, marked weight loss, loss of appetite, barely could drink broth. For two days I have felt very vulnerable. Very weak physically, just moved in bed suffering palpitations. I also felt emotionally vulnerable when I thought about my son and my elderly mother. I guess this episode bring me some lesson ...
I spent a day in the hospital. Despite not having pneumonia, but bad cough and bronchial secretion, acceptable analytic and normal echocardiogram, I had to take antibiotics and retroviral because the doctor thought it was influenza A H1N1.

Finally, virus has affected me is type B, more benign type.
I wonder if my system could be vulnerable in the transition to the KD (started the process six months ago) as Laura poses. Perhaps the fact gluten accidentally taking 10 days before becoming ill, maybe I have lost too much weight (12kg.) or just not cared enough previous days.
Certainly some weeks prior to fever, I did not feel as strong as before and my skin and subcutaneous tissue had a poorer appearance. I think I wasn't absorbing nutrients well and I don't know why. I was also taking probiotics.
The truth is that, for now, I have had to do major exceptions to the KD. When I'm strong again I will have to start again. I learned things during this time ... but I still feel that there are many variables that I don't drive. :-[

:hug2:

Hi Ariadna,

Sorry to hear that you got worse and had to stay in hospital.

Just a few remarks to the above. Retrovirals for H1N1 are virtually useless, I haven't come across one properly designed independent study showing otherwise. I remember at the start of the H1N1 craze every government stockpiled truckloads of it ... the only benefit was to the seller.

I also think that you should take it easy - just eat what you think your body tolerates best at the moment, even if it's not paleo or keto. Once you are feeling better you can jump back on and start the diet experiment again. Remember, it's an experiment for everyone involved. No two bodies are the same and how much of what you tolerate is very individual.

And as someone mentioned in another thread there is a bit of a flu epidemic going around the world, which is not mentioned much in mainstream media outlets. I had symptoms as well, dry hacking cough and a runny nose ... So I wouldn't too much sleep about why you became sick. Sure, it's an interesting question and can be helpful to analyze. But often you won't be able to find a clear answer - it's complicated!

Also I wouldn't focus too much on the weight - let the body do what it has to do. Some have quite a bit of weight swings in the first period of going keto, until their weight settles. I think that as long as there is nothing majorly wrong with your body and you provide it body with all the nutrients it needs, you shouldn't have to worry too much.

My take on that is ... I do the best I can, the rest is "up to the gods", so to speak!

Hope you get better soon!

:hug:

nicklebleu said:
And as someone mentioned in another thread there is a bit of a flu epidemic going around the world, which is not mentioned much in mainstream media outlets.

Yeah and I know for a fact that the current flu in Spain is much worse than the one of the previous year. MUCH worse.

Ariadna, I hope you will recover your strength.

Gaby said:
nicklebleu said:
And as someone mentioned in another thread there is a bit of a flu epidemic going around the world, which is not mentioned much in mainstream media outlets.

Yeah and I know for a fact that the current flu in Spain is much worse than the one of the previous year. MUCH worse.

Thank you very much Nickleblue and Gaby for your answer and your best wishes.
I have a question related to the flu epidemic in Spain. I have a son of 12. He is strong and rarely gets a cold but, given the circumstances, I don't know if I should vaccinate him. I've been thinking about it two or three days. It's hard for me to be objective about this. Objectively there might be some serious drawback?

Ariadna said:
I have a question related to the flu epidemic in Spain. I have a son of 12. He is strong and rarely gets a cold but, given the circumstances, I don't know if I should vaccinate him. I've been thinking about it two or three days. It's hard for me to be objective about this. Objectively there might be some serious drawback?

I don't think it is a good idea. It might actually make him less resilient if he ever caught the flu.

Studies Suggest 'Regular' Flu Shot Increases Risks for H1N1 Flu
http://www.sott.net/article/206268-Studies-Suggest-Regular-Flu-Shot-Increases-Risks-for-H1N1-Flu

Canada: British Columbia suspends flu shot campaign over H1N1 concerns
http://www.sott.net/article/194105-Canada-British-Columbia-suspends-flu-shot-campaign-over-H1N1-concerns

Children Who Get Flu Vaccine Have Three Times Risk Of Hospitalization For Flu, Study Suggests
http://www.sott.net/article/184979-Children-Who-Get-Flu-Vaccine-Have-Three-Times-Risk-Of-Hospitalization-For-Flu-Study-Suggests

Megadoses of vitamin C and NAC is the best way to go.

Ariadna said:
Gaby said:
nicklebleu said:

I totally agree with Gaby ...

Flu shots don't work! There are good studies in the Cochrane Database (Metanalysis) that clearly show that flu vaccines are ineffective for children and for elderly persons and only show a very small benefit for adult males. Unfortunately I cannot post the link, as my internet connection is toooooo sloooooow - but if you google "Cochrane Review" it will show up and then there's a search function where you can enter "flu vaccination" or "influenza vaccine" and the relevant studies should pop up.

On top of that usually vaccines contain a plethora of noxious substances to enhance your immune response to the virus - notably mercury compounds (thiomersal), squalene and others. These can create nasty symptoms, weakened immune status and autoimmune disease amongst other things.

I have stopped having flu vaccines, because the last 3 times I had them I was sick with a nasty cough for 4 - 6 weeks everytime, whereas last year (no flu shot) I was one of the few in my environment that didn't have the flu at all (some of my friends had flu three times during this period).

So in a nutshell my opinion is - don't! But others might want to chime in and give their view on this.

But there are other things you could do - manufacture a batch of liposomal vitamin C and put it in the fridge (you can keep it there for nearly 2 weeks) and start treating your son as soon as the first symptoms of flu appear. I would use the highest dose possible that he tolerates, ideally every 2 hours. Colloidal silver is another option, if symptoms occur. That way you can cut any flu short and symptoms will hopefully be only mild.

Another protection might be if you are keto, but this is a bit contentious in my view, as there are too many unknowns at this stage.

nicklebleu said:
Ariadna said:
Gaby said:
nicklebleu said:

I totally agree with Gaby ...

Flu shots don't work! There are good studies in the Cochrane Database (Metanalysis) that clearly show that flu vaccines are ineffective for children and for elderly persons and only show a very small benefit for adult males. Unfortunately I cannot post the link, as my internet connection is toooooo sloooooow - but if you google "Cochrane Review" it will show up and then there's a search function where you can enter "flu vaccination" or "influenza vaccine" and the relevant studies should pop up.

On top of that usually vaccines contain a plethora of noxious substances to enhance your immune response to the virus - notably mercury compounds (thiomersal), squalene and others. These can create nasty symptoms, weakened immune status and autoimmune disease amongst other things.

I have stopped having flu vaccines, because the last 3 times I had them I was sick with a nasty cough for 4 - 6 weeks everytime, whereas last year (no flu shot) I was one of the few in my environment that didn't have the flu at all (some of my friends had flu three times during this period).

So in a nutshell my opinion is - don't! But others might want to chime in and give their view on this.

But there are other things you could do - manufacture a batch of liposomal vitamin C and put it in the fridge (you can keep it there for nearly 2 weeks) and start treating your son as soon as the first symptoms of flu appear. I would use the highest dose possible that he tolerates, ideally every 2 hours. Colloidal silver is another option, if symptoms occur. That way you can cut any flu short and symptoms will hopefully be only mild.

Another protection might be if you are keto, but this is a bit contentious in my view, as there are too many unknowns at this stage.

Thank you very much again. I am very grateful both. Hopefully I can help others like you help me.
My child has been asymptomatic throughout the period that I have been sick, he had a bit of diarrhea a day or a little discomfort in the throat another day, that happened a while. I let him sleep and rest and did not send him to school. He has had no fever at any time.
Now I can not make liposomal because I have no ultrasonic apparatus and suppose it's necessary. I usually buy the Vit C tablets 1500mgr with rose hip 30mgr (Solgar).

Would it be enough 2 tablets daily preventively?. He weighs 45kg and eats very well.
:hug2::hug2:

Ariadna said:
Would it be enough 2 tablets daily preventively?. He weighs 45kg and eats very well.

That sounds reasonable to me ...

Hello Ariadna. I suggest that you be very very careful with Solgar supplements. I haven't encountered those vitamin C ones you quoted specifically, but every Solgar supplement I have looked at for over a year has had numerous binders or fillers, all that will sabotage one's health whilst thinking they are improving.

Ariadna said:
Gaby said:
nicklebleu said:

I took the flu vaccine last year in Spain (such a bad decision!) and I was VERY sick the next 3 weeks, I felt I had all the flu symptons (cough, chills, nausea, stuffy nose, fatigue..) but maximized to an extreme. I always avoid going to the doctor when possible but this time I had to take medication as I couldn't stand the pain in my throat.

H-kqge said:
Hello Ariadna. I suggest that you be very very careful with Solgar supplements. I haven't encountered those vitamin C ones you quoted specifically, but every Solgar supplement I have looked at for over a year has had numerous binders or fillers, all that will sabotage one's health whilst thinking they are improving.

Thanks,
These tablets contain as diluent: microcrystalline cellulose.
Anti-caking agents: vegetable magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, vegetable stearic acid.
Coating agent: hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose, cellulose gum and vegetable glycerin.
Manufactured in USA and UK.

Ariadna said:
H-kqge said:

Thanks,
Anti-caking agents: vegetable magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, vegetable stearic acid.
Coating agent: hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose, cellulose gum and vegetable glycerin.

Check this: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,15510.msg438814.html#msg438814 (and The response beneath it)

And this too - http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,17292.msg187081.html#msg187081

I used the second link as it quickly references the topic with insight, the links I would have used anyway are contained in that same post. The first link above (with the response) is because of the "resident M.D." which helps. As for HPMC, I believe that has corn. But don't take my word for it, SOTT has articles & a forum search should help also. (I'm getting too many results back) in the meantime... http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php

H-kqge said:
Ariadna said:
H-kqge said:

Thanks,

Check this: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,15510.msg438814.html#msg438814 (and The response beneath it)

Thanks you, I'll be more carefull from now. :shock:

And this too - http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,17292.msg187081.html#msg187081

I used the second link as it quickly references the topic with insight, the links I would have used anyway are contained in that same post. The first link above (with the response) is because of the "resident M.D." which helps. As for HPMC, I believe that has corn. But don't take my word for it, SOTT has articles & a forum search should help also. (I'm getting too many results back) in the meantime... http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php

Edit=Quote

Hello. I have been on the Keto diet for the past six months and would like to share some experiences I've been having with it so far. I transitioned from cutting out wheat, dairy, and sugar, then on to the Paleo diet, where I was eating about 60g or less of carbs per day, then on to the Ketogenic diet where I cut out all grain and eat about 30g of carbs per day, but some days I wont eat any carbs at all. I am always looking for way to include more fat into my diet, for example: butter tea (bulletproofing) or bone broth as tea or having perpetual stew is good.

I am at the stage of reintroducing foods into my diet to see what agrees with me and what doesn't. I recently found that eggs do not agree with me, I get very gassy and emit offensive odors after I eat them. Which is a shame because I love eggs. Also, I ate some nuts last week and my ankles were swollen afterwards, which has never happened before. I am also finding that the smell of cooked/cooking vegetables makes me cringe. Blueberries, cauliflower, sweet potato, and sauerkraut seem to be fine with me so far.

I might still be eating too much protein, because I still have cravings, though mainly for chocolate and pineapple. Also, I feel hungry sometimes, to the point where my stomach will hurt. This could be stress related though?

Another reason I think there is too much protein in my diet is because there is still some lingering mental fog. It has gotten a lot better since the wheat days, but I still have trouble focusing and paying attention. My emotions are also a lot more stable now, but I still feel depressed, sad, or blue some days.

I have been trying to do some exercise and resistance training, which is fun, but I'm so weak now. I can do about half a push-up, have a hard time using the resistance band, I can do a wall sit for about half a minute, and I've noticed that opening jars is causing me great difficulty. It's crazy, I have no strength!

I supplement Ascorbic Acid, magnesium, vitamin D3, cod liver oil, NAC, 5HTP, GABA, Choline, and ALA. I take digestive enzymes before I eat to help with digestion and drink distilled water with trace minerals added.

When information about the Ketogenic diet first came out I tried to go cold turkey and eat only fat and a bit of protein, but that was a flop and made by stomach hurt and I was hungry all of the time. This was stupid and didn't last long, but it does show just how difficult it is, even for younger people, to make the transition to the Keto diet. It must be done slowly and with care.

Hi mimimari. What I found helpful, while eliminating foods from my diet (like all that you had mentioned plus some), I used the far-infrared blanket to help get rid of toxins and heavy metal build up in the body. In my case it helped with mental fog, but I know each person is different. Also have you thought about doing a candida cleanse? Not saying that that might be what`s causing your brain fog, but it might be something to look into if you haven`t already. :)

mimimari said:
Hello. I have been on the Keto diet for the past six months<snip>

I am at the stage of reintroducing foods into my diet to see what agrees with me and what doesn't.

Since it usually takes about 2 years for the gut to heal from grains and dairy, this may be a bit precipitate.

mimimari said:
I recently found that eggs do not agree with me, I get very gassy and emit offensive odors after I eat them. Which is a shame because I love eggs. Also, I ate some nuts last week and my ankles were swollen afterwards, which has never happened before. I am also finding that the smell of cooked/cooking vegetables makes me cringe. Blueberries, cauliflower, sweet potato, and sauerkraut seem to be fine with me so far.

These events are clues that your gut is not healed.

mimimari said:
I might still be eating too much protein, because I still have cravings, though mainly for chocolate and pineapple. Also, I feel hungry sometimes, to the point where my stomach will hurt. This could be stress related though?

Another reason I think there is too much protein in my diet is because there is still some lingering mental fog. It has gotten a lot better since the wheat days, but I still have trouble focusing and paying attention. My emotions are also a lot more stable now, but I still feel depressed, sad, or blue some days.

I have been trying to do some exercise and resistance training, which is fun, but I'm so weak now. I can do about half a push-up, have a hard time using the resistance band, I can do a wall sit for about half a minute, and I've noticed that opening jars is causing me great difficulty. It's crazy, I have no strength!

Have you read this entire thread? I know it's long, but it's kinda a must! Others have gone through similar experiences, reported on them in the thread, and reported how they improved over time.

For example, cravings DO go away ONCE your body begins to get really nourished and that only happens when your sleep cycles and digestion are working properly AND the gut is healed. I cannot emphasize sleep cycles enough.

mimimari said:
I supplement Ascorbic Acid, magnesium, vitamin D3, cod liver oil, NAC, 5HTP, GABA, Choline, and ALA. I take digestive enzymes before I eat to help with digestion and drink distilled water with trace minerals added.

We've found that you don't need much in the way of supplements if your gut is healed, your digestion works properly, and you get the right sleep.

There is another potential and serious possibility: heavy metals that need detoxing. The gut will not heal until this is done and it can take a year or so to achieve a good metals detox done gradually.

mimimari said:
When information about the Ketogenic diet first came out I tried to go cold turkey and eat only fat and a bit of protein, but that was a flop and made by stomach hurt and I was hungry all of the time. This was stupid and didn't last long, but it does show just how difficult it is, even for younger people, to make the transition to the Keto diet. It must be done slowly and with care.

Yes, and you apparently haven't achieved the objectives for which such a diet is usually undertaken: healing the gut, detoxing, getting nourished. There is also the fun matter of upregulating different DNA which also takes time.

Back
Top Bottom