Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Ennio said:
As for the taste of bone broth, I second N2F's suggestion to use a high quality salt for flavor. I also like to add diced onion and garlic while it's cooking - about three quarters into the time it takes to cook. If you can tolerate onion and garlic you may want to give it a try but it may be a good idea to start with small amounts and see how you do.

Ennio, I have Celtic sea salt and maybe I've not used enough. I have used onions and garlic in my broth but I had put it in at the start, so maybe I'll add that a bit later on. Given how everyone has been rating the benefits of bone broth, I am not ready to give up on it yet!

I never experienced leg cramps until this past year, not severe but they do get your attention. When it happens I've been taking potassium which seems to help. At this point the only other supplement I use on a semi-regular basis is cod liver oil.

The leg cramps sure are something else. I've found the Magnesium powder complex (which also has potassium incidentally) the best for keeping cramping at bay. I'm hoping that once I get acclimatized to this diet, I can rely less and less on supplements.

Arwenn said:
Ennio said:
As for the taste of bone broth, I second N2F's suggestion to use a high quality salt for flavor. I also like to add diced onion and garlic while it's cooking - about three quarters into the time it takes to cook. If you can tolerate onion and garlic you may want to give it a try but it may be a good idea to start with small amounts and see how you do.

Ennio, I have Celtic sea salt and maybe I've not used enough. I have used onions and garlic in my broth but I had put it in at the start, so maybe I'll add that a bit later on. Given how everyone has been rating the benefits of bone broth, I am not ready to give up on it yet!

Something I learned recently from tempo and mimimari that might help make it more palatable is to make bone broth in two stages. In the first stage, I just add bones and water with a bit of vinegar to help extract the minerals, and cook up the broth as a base. In the second stage, I transfer the broth to another pot, add pieces of bacon, fatty meat*, ham hock, onions, garlic and collard greens**. I add more water to bring the level up, add some more vinegar, and boil again into a stew. When I dish it into a bowl, I add salt and vinegar to taste. The bacon and ham hock help a lot with the flavor, but the integrity of the initial batch of bone broth is preserved by cooking it separately.

* I've found that the local store where I buy pork (my local free-range vendor does beef and lamb but not pork) often has fat trimmings if I just ask at the counter -- they sell at the same price as soup bones, so it's a fairly inexpensive way to get good fatty meat.

** The collard greens (or sometimes kale) is a trade-off -- I'm wary of the anti-nutrients, but it gives some added flavor that makes it more palatable to my daughter, who has generally disliked plain bone broth in the past, even with salt; she asks for it a couple times a day when I do it this way, which is why I'm using it for now.

Here's what I do thanks to tips from Mrs. Tigersoap. Basically, I use marrow bones with some other big bones. I first brown them a little in lard with onions and some garlic for a couple of minutes. Then I add the water, salt, and a bit of vinegar or lemon juice. (I personally use a pressure cooker for this). Then when it's done after a couple of hours, I take all the bones out and put them on a plate (and if some marrow is floating around I take that too and put it on the plate as well). Then I strain the broth in a pan (because I don't want the onions in there). Afterwards I put all the marrow in the bone broth and take off some meat or gooeyness that is around the bones and put it in the broth as well. Then, I mix the whole thing up with my handmixer, and done! For me, the marrow really brings out a lot of flavor.

I still take magnesium pretty regularly also, usually at bedtime. And yes, carnitine definitely helps with transitional issues.

We usually make our bone broth with dried garlic and onions - not too much - salt and pepper. (Peppercorns, sometimes.) I put a few bay leaves in the recent batch and that is nice. We also started putting in a pig foot for extra gelatin/fat/etc. So a combination of marrow bones, maybe a knee with lots of gristle, a pig foot, onions, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper, makes a very nice, simple broth with LOTS of fat. It seems to be the one way I can get down the needed amounts of fat for KD.

Today is day 3 of my B&BB plan. I just eat all the meat at breakfast I want (which is usually my allotment for the day) and then only have broth if I am hungry through the rest of the day. Yesterday, I was only able to drink one additional cup of broth in the late afternoon (it was very fatty) and that was it. Wasn't hungry at all.

What this ends up being is a sort of "intermittant fasting" since I don't have any solid food from one breakfast to the next, i.e. 24 hours, and that is supposed to be the state that is most conducive to DNA modification/repair which is what I'm after ATM.

Hi Gaby

Do you mean that green beans contain no anti-nutrients? How do you cook them or do you sprout them?

Thanks

Shijing said:
Something I learned recently from tempo and mimimari that might help make it more palatable is to make bone broth in two stages. In the first stage, I just add bones and water with a bit of vinegar to help extract the minerals, and cook up the broth as a base. In the second stage, I transfer the broth to another pot, add pieces of bacon, fatty meat*, ham hock, onions, garlic and collard greens**. I add more water to bring the level up, add some more vinegar, and boil again into a stew. When I dish it into a bowl, I add salt and vinegar to taste. The bacon and ham hock help a lot with the flavor, but the integrity of the initial batch of bone broth is preserved by cooking it separately.

* I've found that the local store where I buy pork (my local free-range vendor does beef and lamb but not pork) often has fat trimmings if I just ask at the counter -- they sell at the same price as soup bones, so it's a fairly inexpensive way to get good fatty meat.

** The collard greens (or sometimes kale) is a trade-off -- I'm wary of the anti-nutrients, but it gives some added flavor that makes it more palatable to my daughter, who has generally disliked plain bone broth in the past, even with salt; she asks for it a couple times a day when I do it this way, which is why I'm using it for now.

Thanks Shijing, I'll try that! The kids and I love soup, (but not the broth the way I have made it thus far), so I'm looking forward to trying that 2-step idea. I also wasn't using much vinegar, so I'll add more of that. What type of vinegar do you use?

Laura said:
{snip}
So a combination of marrow bones, maybe a knee with lots of gristle, a pig foot, onions, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper, makes a very nice, simple broth with LOTS of fat. It seems to be the one way I can get down the needed amounts of fat for KD.

Today is day 3 of my B&BB plan. I just eat all the meat at breakfast I want (which is usually my allotment for the day) and then only have broth if I am hungry through the rest of the day. Yesterday, I was only able to drink one additional cup of broth in the late afternoon (it was very fatty) and that was it. Wasn't hungry at all.

What this ends up being is a sort of "intermittant fasting" since I don't have any solid food from one breakfast to the next, i.e. 24 hours, and that is supposed to be the state that is most conducive to DNA modification/repair which is what I'm after ATM.

The last lot of bones did not make a very fatty bone broth, so I will ask my butcher for a pig's foot. I've cut down my caloric intake and I'm often hungry, but I'm getting used to that dull sense of hunger (I'm pretty sure I need way more fat). On an evolutionary level, that hunger was probably a good thing, and gave the digestive system a break. On a physical level, I feel more comfortable having manageable feelings of hunger, rather than stuffing myself full of 'food' and feeling uneasy in myself as a result.

Laura said:
I still take magnesium pretty regularly also, usually at bedtime. And yes, carnitine definitely helps with transitional issues.

While on the topic of supplements, is anyone taking Pyrroloquinoline quinone as discussed here for energy issues?

Ennio said:

Recently I discovered that LOOOTS of black peppercorn makes a really BIG difference. No onions or garlic is needed, only peppercorns (at the beginning) and the sea salt (at the end of cooking.) It's just like magic!

Altair said:
Hi Gaby

Do you mean that green beans contain no anti-nutrients? How do you cook them or do you sprout them?

Thanks

I'm not entirely sure if they are completely anti-nutrient free, but one thing is for sure, some of the very sensitive people find them very friendly as a side dish to fatty meats and/or fish. They are delicious with butter as well. In some cultures they are known under different names, but here is what I had in mind:

Cut_Green_Beans.jpg

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_bean

Steamed will further remove any anti-nutrients. I also cooked them with fat in a pan. :)

Just want to add, once again, that if anyone is experiencing a lot of leg cramps, try upping your salt intake along with the potassium and magnesium. My friend and I noticed that by drinking a glass of water with added salt really helped to stop the cramping really fast. When eating a diet of mostly fat and meat, our bodies flush out more salt than usual so it has to be replenished.

Arwenn said:
Thanks Shijing, I'll try that! The kids and I love soup, (but not the broth the way I have made it thus far), so I'm looking forward to trying that 2-step idea. I also wasn't using much vinegar, so I'll add more of that. What type of vinegar do you use?

I use apple cider vinegar (Perceval was the first one to suggest that, and it gives the broth a nice tang, kind of like the sweet and sour soup you might get at a Chinese restaurant). Also, since you suspect you may not be getting enough fat, any kind of really fatty meat you can add in the second step will be helpful too because it will increase the fat content of the original broth. I've never tried peppercorns as Laura and Darek mentioned above, so I'm going to try to pick some of those up later today and try that as well.

Laura said:

Thank you for the B&BB idea Laura. This is my first day of this way of eating, and it is very impressive. For breakfast I had 2 slices of bacon, and 2 big pork belly slices. Slight brain fog for ~30 mins from the large amount of food, but after this subsided I have felt great all day. It's now past 16:00 here and I still feel no hunger even after doing some resistance training and getting out and about in the sun, but I better go get some broth. It feels like back in 2012 when we initially started the keto experiment.

It is pretty clear over all that this is simply the optimal way of human eating, I dare say for everyone on the planet.

Mod's note: Got rid of dangling tags

Nienna said:
Just want to add, once again, that if anyone is experiencing a lot of leg cramps, try upping your salt intake along with the potassium and magnesium. My friend and I noticed that by drinking a glass of water with added salt really helped to stop the cramping really fast. When eating a diet of mostly fat and meat, our bodies flush out more salt than usual so it has to be replenished.

I would maybe add that it should be a high quality salt. One may think sea salt is good, but it is usually another stripped, iodized version of table salt.

davey72 said:
Nienna said:

I would maybe add that it should be a high quality salt. One may think sea salt is good, but it is usually another stripped, iodized version of table salt.

So true. It doesn't even taste right. We get a kind of butter that has sea salt worked into it. Yum!

Back
Top Bottom