Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

mugatea said:
This diet is getting me down. I don't regret starting but never thought it would be this hard. I have never been so depressed in my life although at the moment I'm feeling reasonably fine but some days have been the lowest I can remember ever feeling and I've been at real risk losing very close friends cause of my behaviour on days when I've been at my lowest (I push people away).

I have to eat some veg daily, so usually nearly a whole sweet potato at dinner or some other veg else I get explosive runs. Is this to be expected after around 2 months? While I have been in ketosis I still dont think I'm adapted or fully adapted. I've been pretty stict and think I have done things proper, probiotics, digestive aids etc - no cheating ever yet things are sure taking their time.

Everyone knows I've been on Keto since the beginning and I've been bragging how good it is and trying to get them to read Keto Adapted but I dont think after the two months I've had anyone will be convinced to go for it.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,
The mood changes might be a detox reaction from lowering your carbs. They are basically sugar and there is a detox reaction. You may have reduced them too quickly. It may be related to the low carb flu symptoms.

As far as the runs, how much fat are you taking in? It may be too much and have nothing to do with the carbs you are eating. I've read that it can also come from excessive protein. What amount of protein are you taking in per meal?

Also, certain types of carbs can cause diarrhea. See the article below.
Got digestive problems? Take it easy on the veggies.

Here's another article about the pitfalls and benefits of the transition. It gives a good overview. Switching to fat burning takes time. Keep your chin up. It will get better if you stick with it. :)

mugatea said:
This diet is getting me down. I don't regret starting but never thought it would be this hard. I have never been so depressed in my life although at the moment I'm feeling reasonably fine but some days have been the lowest I can remember ever feeling and I've been at real risk losing very close friends cause of my behaviour on days when I've been at my lowest (I push people away).

I have to eat some veg daily, so usually nearly a whole sweet potato at dinner or some other veg else I get explosive runs. Is this to be expected after around 2 months? While I have been in ketosis I still dont think I'm adapted or fully adapted. I've been pretty stict and think I have done things proper, probiotics, digestive aids etc - no cheating ever yet things are sure taking their time.

Everyone knows I've been on Keto since the beginning and I've been bragging how good it is and trying to get them to read Keto Adapted but I dont think after the two months I've had anyone will be convinced to go for it.

Jamie

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Have you been eating a whole sweet potato since the beginning? If so, in many people that alone would be enough to delay adaptation and cause misery.

There is a difference between being In ketosis and being ketoadapted. Keto adaptation requires weeks of strict very low carb eating. In other words, cut the starch, sugar, fruit etc completely. During this period, the smallest slip-up can delay adaptation and set you back. Personally I would not put any of that sweet orange starchy goodness in my mouth until after 4 weeks, and adaptation only takes longer as you get older (I'm in early 20's).
IMO, limit vegetables to green beans and sauerkraut.

Menrva said:
mugatea said:

Jamie

Hi Jamie,
The mood changes might be a detox reaction from lowering your carbs. They are basically sugar and there is a detox reaction. You may have reduced them too quickly. It may be related to the low carb flu symptoms.

As far as the runs, how much fat are you taking in? It may be too much and have nothing to do with the carbs you are eating. I've read that it can also come from excessive protein. What amount of protein are you taking in per meal?

Also, certain types of carbs can cause diarrhea. See the article below.
Got digestive problems? Take it easy on the veggies.

Here's another article about the pitfalls and benefits of the transition. It gives a good overview. Switching to fat burning takes time. Keep your chin up. It will get better if you stick with it. :)
Some great links there! Thanks for sharing. Lots of good information to go through.

So, I have a little bit of progress to report - skin is clearing up!! Still having weird bathroom issues, but definitely easing and so much better since I started eating raw sauerkraut. Unfortunately, my first attempt at kraut didn't pan out, but am going to try again. I think I figured out what the problem was, so should work better this time.

Can anyone recommend where to get keto stix or strips in Canada (Alberta), and what they are called?

Meechel17 said:
Can anyone recommend where to get keto stix or strips in Canada (Alberta), and what they are called?

I don't know if you are willing to order online, but this site is in Canada and some members have ordered from there, I think:

http://www.abbottdiabetescare.ca/en/index.html

Here is a thread about ketone meters you might find interesting, too:

Ketone meters

Mrs. Tigersoap said:
Meechel17 said:

I don't know if you are willing to order online, but this site is in Canada and some members have ordered from there, I think:

Ketone meters

In her new book, Nora T. Gedgaudas recommends the Ketonix kit.

_https://www.ketonix.com/index.php/product/standard

You pay once and it is good for many years. You don't have to buy something every months.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this one yet:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24140022

Ketone bodies as signaling metabolites.

Abstract

Traditionally, the ketone body β-hydroxybutyrate (βOHB) has been looked upon as a carrier of energy from liver to peripheral tissues during fasting or exercise. However, βOHB also signals via extracellular receptors and acts as an endogenous inhibitor of histone deacetylases (HDACs). These recent findings support a model in which βOHB functions to link the environment, in this case the diet, and gene expression via chromatin modifications. We review the regulation and functions of ketone bodies, the relationship between ketone bodies and calorie restriction, and the implications of HDAC inhibition by the ketone body βOHB in the modulation of metabolism and in diseases of aging.

Gandalf said:

You pay once and it is good for many years. You don't have to buy something every months.
Ketonix looks like an amazing device, if it works. I'll experiment with one.

I'll just reiterate that it is MOST necessary to understand the ideas and mechanisms of dietary adjustments, not just to plunge in because someone else said so. It also helps to have a good carb counter that you can refer to regularly until you get a good idea of how many carbs are in various foods. That way you can make better choices of low carb foods for variety. You can eat way more green beans than sweet potato.

Laura said:
I'll just reiterate that it is MOST necessary to understand the ideas and mechanisms of dietary adjustments, not just to plunge in because someone else said so. It also helps to have a good carb counter that you can refer to regularly until you get a good idea of how many carbs are in various foods. That way you can make better choices of low carb foods for variety. You can eat way more green beans than sweet potato.
Also I would suggest buying a set of digital scales so you can weigh your food. It made my life so much easier.
When I was transitioning I literally made a list of what I ate on a normal day, then I made a list of all my favourite foods. Each with carbs/fat content down the side then I played food Tetris till I got it right. Slowly dropping "bad" foods one by one. Week by week. It was the slower way of doing it but it made it easier for me to give up certain things while holding on to another till you are finally able to let go of food gratification and start fueling your machine. FWIW

I agree with Laura. Those who came later to this experiment really aught to put the time into reading all the info on this thread, Life Without Bread thread and the recommended books. Understanding what's happening in your body is really important, especially for those who have a bit of a harder time becoming keto adapted.

Laura said:
I'll just reiterate that it is MOST necessary to understand the ideas and mechanisms of dietary adjustments, not just to plunge in because someone else said so. It also helps to have a good carb counter that you can refer to regularlyuntil you get a good idea of how many carbs are in various foods. That way you can make better choices of low carb foods for variety. You can eat way more green beans than sweet potato.

I have found the following as a guide quite helpful - and i think it's relevant to post here - the first list works with 'cups' of carbs, which i prefer, and there's _http://nutritiondata.self.com/ for anything not listed:

itellsya said:
Another list with cup size comparison - same caveats apply :) but i haven't lined out the nightshades etc.. also that's the best i can get formatting wise.

from: _http://www.ruled.me/best-low-carb-vegetables-ketogenic-diet/

Vegetable Amount Net Carbs
Mustard Greens 1/2 Cup 0.1
Parsley (Chopped) 1/2 Cup 0.1
Spinach (Raw) 1/2 Cup 0.1
Bok Choi 1/2 Cup 0.2
Endive 1/2 Cup 0.2
Lettuce (Iceberg) 1/2 Cup 0.2
Lettuce (Romaine) 1/2 Cup 0.2
Sprouts Alfalfa 1/2 Cup 0.2
Lettuce (Boston Bibb) 1/2 Cup 0.4
Turnip Greens (Boiled) 1/2 Cup 0.6
Radicchio 1/2 Cup 0.7
Broccoli florets 1/2 Cup 0.8
Cauliflower (Steamed) 1/2 Cup 0.9
Garlic (Fresh) 1 Clove 0.9
Radishes 10 0.9
Cucumber (Raw) 1/2 Cup 1
Nopales (Grilled) 1/2 Cup 1
Pepper (Jalepeno) 1/2 Cup 1
Cabbage (Green Raw) 1/2 Cup 1.1
Mushroom (Shitake Cooked) 1/2 Cup 1.1
Squash (Summer) 1/2 Cup 1.3
Cabbage (Red Raw) 1/2 Cup 1.4
Cauliflower (Raw) 1/2 Cup 1.4
Mushroom (Button) 1/2 Cup 1.4
Squash (Zuchinni Steamed) 1/2 Cup 1.5
Asparagus (Steamed) 4 Spears 1.6
Cabbage (Green Steamed) 1/2 Cup 1.6
Fennel fresh 1/2 Cup 1.8
Cabbage (Savoy Steamed) 1/2 Cup 1.9
Artichoke (Hearts) 4 Pieces 2
Broccoli Rabe 1/2 Cup 2
Collard Greens 1/2 Cup 2
Bean Sprouts 1/2 Cup 2.1
Eggplant (Broiled) 1/2 Cup 2.1
Kale steamed 1/2 Cup 2.1
Sauerkraut 1/2 Cup 2.1
Spinach (Steamed) 1/2 Cup 2.2
Tomato (Plum) 1 2.2
Turnips (Boiled) 1/2 Cup 2.3
Scallions 1/2 Cup 2.4
Jicama (Raw) 1/2 Cup 2.5
Tomato (Tomatillo) 1/2 Cup 2.6
Green Beans steamed 1/2 Cup 2.9
Yellow Wax Beans 1/2 Cup 2.9
Celery (Raw) 1 Stem 3
Peas (Snow) 1/2 Cup 3.4
Pepper (Green Bell) 1/2 Cup 3.5
Pepper (Red Bell) 1/2 Cup 3.5
Okra (Steamed) 1/2 Cup 3.8
Mushroom (Portabello) 4oz. 4.1
Pumpkin (Canned) 1/2 Cup 4.1
Pumpkin (Boiled) 1/2 Cup 4.6
Brussel Sprouts (Steamed) 1/2 Cup 4.7
Okra (Fried) 1/2 Cup 4.8
Onion (Chopped) 1/2 Cup 5.5
Carrot (Steamed) 1 Large 5.6
Rutabaga 1/2 Cup 5.9
Tomato (Cherry) 10 6
Carrot (Raw) 1 Large 6.5
Peas (Regular) 1/2 Cup 6.5
Broccolini 1/2 Cup 6.7
Artichoke (Whole) 1 Whole 6.9
Waterchestnuts 1/2 Cup 7
Squash (Spaghetti) 1/2 Cup 7.8
Squash (Butternut Baked) 1/2 Cup 7.9
Squash (Acorn Baked) 1/2 Cup 10.4
Fava Beans 1/2 Cup 12.1
Parsnips (Steamed) 1/2 Cup 12.1
Corn (Kernels) 1/2 Cup 12.6
Shallots 1/2 Cup 12.9
Corn (Whole Cob) Whole Cob 17.2
Yucca (Steamed) 1/2 Cup 26
Yuca fresh 1/2 Cup 37.2

itellsya said:
[...]
Or this i am sure has been pasted elsewhere (i have tried to strike those that i think are to be avoided) it gives them in cups so should help with gauging quanity:

Low Carb Vegetables

These low carb vegetables are filling, and provide a nice variety of choices within a ketogenic diet plan. Vegetables can be roasted, grilled, baked, sauteed or steamed. Add butter or low carb sauces for extra flavor. Boiling is not recommended as this cooking method destroys most of the vitamins.

Vegetables with Less than 5 Net Carbs

These serving sizes of vegetables have about 5 grams of net carbs (carb minus the fiber) or less.

1 cup Alfalfa Sprouts (1 net carb)
1 cup raw broccoli (2 net carbs)
1 cup bok choy (< 1 net carb)
1 cup cooked broccoli (4 net carbs)
1 cup raw shredded cabbage (2 net carbs)
1 cup boiled cabbage (4 net carbs)
1 medium raw carrot (4 net carbs)
1 cup cauliflower (2 carbs)
1 stalk raw celery (1 net carb)
1/2 medium cucumber (3 net carbs)
1/2 cup cooked eggplant (3 net carbs)
1 clove raw garlic (1 net carb)
1 cup lettuce (< 1 net carb)
1 cup of mixed greens (< 1 net carb)
1 cup raw mushrooms (2 net carbs)
1 cup mustard greens (3 net carbs)
5 green olives (< 1 net carb)
1/4 cup raw onions (3 net carbs)
1 cup raw green bell peppers (4 net carbs)
1 cup raw red bell peppers (5 net carbs)
1/2 cup raw radishes (< 1 net carb)
1 ounce raw shallots (3 net carbs)
1 cup raw spinach (1 net carb)
1 cup cooked spinach (3 net carbs)
1 cup raw summer squash (4 net carbs
1 cup cooked summer squash (5 net carbs)
1 medium red tomato (4 net carbs)
5 cherry tomatoes (2 net carbs)
1 cup turnip greens, cooked (3 net carbs)

Vegetables with more than 5 Net Carbs

These serving sizes of low carb vegetables have more than 5 grams of net carbs (carb minus the fiber).

1/2 cup black beans (17 net carbs)
1/2 cup butter beans (12 net carbs)
1/2 cup Great Northern beans (16 net carbs)

1/2 cup green beans (8 net carbs)
1/2 cup kidney beans (17 net carbs)
1/2 cup navy beans (21 net carbs)
1/2 cup pinto beans (19 net carbs)
1/2 cup red beans (12 net carbs)

1/2 cup beets (6 net carbs)
1/2 cup chickpeas (20 net carbs)
1/2 cup boiled peas (10 net carbs)
1 large sweet pepper (12 net carbs)

1 medium baked sweet potato (24 net carbs)
1 medium baked potato (26 net carbs)

1 cup winter squash (acorn, butternut, hubbard, spaghetti) (9 net carbs)
1 large raw tomato (7 net carbs)
I'm certainly not the one to be advising you as i'm new to it myself, but that's how i've been looking at it and any corrections are welcome!

Gandalf said:
Mrs. Tigersoap said:
Meechel17 said:

Ketone meters

Wow that looks great! I think I might just grab one. I've got the precision xtra but need to get strips every so often and they can get pricey.

For those still checking with the strips, best place to order that I found (here in Canada anyway) is here:

http://www.diabetesexpress.ca/ketone-strips-meters-precision-xtra-blood-ketone-strips-10box-p-949.html

Gandalf said:
Mrs. Tigersoap said:
Meechel17 said:

Ketone meters

Thank you Gandalf and Mrs. Tigersoap.

Much appreciated!!

Does anyone do/have an opinion on 'carb-up' days I've read about on other forums?

Back
Top Bottom