Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

fabric said:
One thing ya'll might want to try is broth with sauerkraut in it. I find it really adds flavor to the broth and it helps with the fattiness as well as digestion. I typically add about 25-30grams of lard to the broth but it can be tough to down sometimes since it is so fatty. Adding the sauerkraut to it helps with making it more palatable. Though I'm now kinda spoiled and don't really enjoy broth on its own anymore as much as I used to. If you can tolerate it, kimchi is also good with broth.

Yeah it is good! And I think the acidity from the sauerkraut makes it easier to digest the broth if you have a lot of fat in it. Because oil (fat) and water don't mix very well, the acidity helps bring the two together and allows the two substances to integrate more making digestion easier. Kind of like a third force added to it. :D

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/make-your-own-coffeehouse-hot-drinks-with-coconut-oil/

I found this link with 5 hot drinks recipes, making little adjustments I think the recipe #1 and # 5 could be used
in Ketogenic Diet. The recipes #2, #3 and #4 use coffee, I don't use to drink it.
After tested them did some changes:
Recipe # 1, I used my own Tea Chai recipe (Got it from my Yoga teacher. If some one want I can share it) first mixed it with Butter and Coconut Oil like the recipe say. Changed only using coconut oil. The butter flavor compete with the Chai Tea flavor.
In # 5 recipe, I decided to use more Coconut Butter and more Cocoa.
Sweeten with Stevia.
Hope you like. ;D ;D ;) ;)

dulma said:
http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/make-your-own-coffeehouse-hot-drinks-with-coconut-oil/

I found this link with 5 hot drinks recipes, making little adjustments I think the recipe #1 and # 5 could be used
in Ketogenic Diet. The recipes #2, #3 and #4 use coffee, I don't use to drink it.
After tested them did some changes:
Recipe # 1, I used my own Tea Chai recipe (Got it from my Yoga teacher. If some one want I can share it) first mixed it with Butter and Coconut Oil like the recipe say. Changed only using coconut oil. The butter flavor compete with the Chai Tea flavor.
In # 5 recipe, I decided to use more Coconut Butter and more Cocoa.
Sweeten with Stevia.
Hope you like. ;D ;D ;) ;)
mmmmmmm hot chocolate!!! Thanks for sharing :D
I use Green and Blacks organic cocoa powder with coconut milk. I'm going to try and add a little vanilla essence inspired by your link, many thanks!
http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/green-and-blacks/green-and-blacks-organic-cocoa-powder-125g/?PCode=DSGPESS15&gclid=CIe8hbaT7cECFSbHtAodzDAADQ

I haven't converted over to the Ketogenic diet yet, mainly sticking to the Paleo while addressing a heavy case of Candida, which seems like forever. It's going to take a while before the gut heals. I can attest to the benefits of sauerkraut. If I get a really off day, warming up some sauerkraut and drinking the juice helps activate an energy level and settle the stomach. Adding extra fat to the diet was problematic in the beginning but the beef broth helped with the transition.

I find it interesting, when I come across an article that promotes a high fat diet to correct an ailment, especially when it's a scientific study, it only tends to be a few short paragraphs. Like this one out of Denmark. Sadly, it only concentrates on fat in the diet.

Study finds high-fat diet may ward off aging in body and brain
_http://www.digitaljournal.com/life/health/study-finds-high-fat-diet-may-ward-off-aging-in-body-and-brain/article/413685

A study out of Denmark seems to have found something good can come out of a high-fat diet. The study was conducted while looking at the effects of a high-fat diet on Cockayne syndrome, a premature aging disease.

The hope is such a diet can not only help children with Cockayne syndrome, who more often die of old age related symptoms somewhere between 10 and 12, but also help others. That is what the study found could happen.

“Our study suggests that a high-fat diet can postpone aging processes," lead author of the study, Professor Vilhelm Bohr of the Center for Healthy Aging at the Univ. of Copenhagen, said in a press release. "A diet high in fat also seems to postpone the aging of the brain. The findings therefore potentially imply that patients with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease in the long term may benefit from the new knowledge."

High-fat diet: aging slowed down

Published in the science journal, Cell Metabolism and called A High-Fat Diet to Rescue Premature Aging in Cockayne Syndrome, the study used mice that had the same defect in the DNA of their genes as humans with Cockayne syndrome have in theirs. The body and brain of the mice aged slower on a diet of high-fats such as coconut oil, than did mice who were not on a high-fat diet.
Morten Scheibye-Knudsen from the U.S. National Institute of Health, which also took part in the study, noted it's a matter of the body and brain getting more fuel to help repair damage going on in cells during the aging process. That is what the study indicates occurs on a high-fat diet, he said.

“We have previously demonstrated that aging (in children with Cockayne syndrome) is a result of the cell repair mechanism being constantly active,” Scheibye-Knudsen said. “We therefore hope that a diet with a high content of coconut oil or similar fats will have a beneficial effect, because the brain cells are given extra fuel and thus the strength to repair the damage.”

Researchers intend to do more work in the area of high-fat diets and aging.

Being driven to understand about the oil for my lamp since 1980, I can pretty much verify that being in ketosis on a high fat diet is the answer. The candida took a couple of years to deal with but once my body mass was reduced from 330lbs to 170lbs many other issues seem to have been eased as well.

Yes to the part about looking and feeling more youthful also, eye sight improvement, sense of feeling loss in both feet from trauma and stroke is returning and much more. I guess you could say that I am a work in progress. No plans to stop any time soon.

I think that the keto diet really helps to overcome candida and leaky gut issues. Of course, it is necessary in the beginning to utilize digestive help - betaine, ox-bile, and other enzymes - and to take some good probiotics. Thing is, if the candida don't have anything to eat, they die. And it's been shown in studies that a person will make up all kinds of narratives to justify continuing to eat what the Candida want because they run the show!

I just wanted to give an update.

After having pretty bad bowels since I started I've had no diarrhea for a whole week and I've been on full fat amount in that time too! It stopped the day after I started eating unpasteurized Sauerkraut so that might be quite useful info for those still trying to manage the fat. I'm also on 1 betaine and 2 ox biles per meal. I've got no Sauerkraut left as it lasted almost a week and that was with me eating a portion with every meal. I was 11 stone when I started diet 2 months ago and now I am just under 10 and people are noticing and while I am naturally skinny I think I looked healthier in other peoples eyes when my face had a bit more fat on it but it's nice that my old beer belly is gone. So it's now trying to find out how much fat I need to take. The maths say about 250 but I'm a dog walker and can walk upto 5 hours a day and its mentally tiring too so I'll probably be well over 300g. I just dont have the energy to go back to the resistance training, I am doing yoga once a week though but my body needs time to rest and recover.

I really have learnt how my previous diet was so self serving and emotionally driven, it was all about pleasure and never about refueling. I remember the cravings and satisfying those cravings, the "I'm not in the mood for that, I want this", the snacking, it was hunger for eating but not refueling but then I have to think who/what was hungry. This I think will take the longest to recover from and will take discipline, even now I crave snacks and sweet things even though I have resisted all this time and I think it will last a long time. I am now finding that I'm really struggling to deal with my spending as I have replaced the highs I got daily from food with the highs of shopping and of course at the time I can rationalise my spending and justify it.

Jamie

mugatea said:
I just wanted to give an update.
Jamie

Thanks for sharing mugatea :D I'm glad you're over the worst of it and can begin to enjoy the benefits which get even better with time. It's ideal for others who will be thinking about starting, or are mid way and encountering similar issues. Also to hear about your experience, because everybody has a slightly different relationship with food and once they begin to change it, that's when things get interesting! ;)

It sounds like with the dog walking and the yoga you are at least very active, so with regards to the building on this, keep listening to your body as you are doing, and add activities as and when you feel ready. Others i am sure will have pointers for when you are and so just keep networking, like you are doing. :rockon:

Edit: word

So I have been paleo for two years now, and have really eliminated a lot of additional "paleo" foods from my diet which my body can't handle - basically all starches, high carb foods, sugars, etc. I am basically on ketogenic diet now for the last couple of weeks. I'm looking for some feedback if I may ask for help?
My breakfast this week has consisted of two eggs (from my own chickens) poached in broth made from leg of lamb and pork hocks (both grass fed), and half an avocado. I drink yerba mate tea most mornings (2 cups w/ butter and xylitol in it), and drink the broth that I poached the eggs in.
Lunch I often don't really have, at least not until 3 or 4 in the afternoon, or later and then it's just supper. But that consists of a cup of broth, 1/2 cup of meat with either some added butter or cracklings from the lard I rendered (first time ever, and omg, the cracklings are yummy!!). I did have 1/2 cup of homemade applesauce last night (organic, just simmered apples, no other ingredients).
I drink at least 8-10 cups of water and have been drinking chamomile tea (grown in my garden). I take 200 mg betaine HCL, and some digestive enzymes as well as some magnesium complex (citrate and malate), and L-glutamine.
I am having really loose stool all week, although my energy level is not too bad and I am sleeping quite well(which has not been the norm lately, but I am having lots of weird dreams). But, my skin is breaking out (this has always been a problem for me), especially in the "intestinal area" around the sides of my mouth and below my ears.
Any suggestions/criticisms (perhaps this is not the right word) would be more than welcome.

Hi Meechel17, do you know how many grams of fat you are eating a meal? I find I only need about 50-60 added grams of fat per meal. But I shoot for 25 grams of protein and just eat at least twice that in fat. You don't necessarily need to eat 25 grams per meal unless you're going for the cell repair mode of protein restriction. But just wondering about the fat, because too much can give loose stools. Also have you tried ox bile with meals?

Meechel17 said:
So I have been paleo for two years now, and have really eliminated a lot of additional "paleo" foods from my diet which my body can't handle - basically all starches, high carb foods, sugars, etc. I am basically on ketogenic diet now for the last couple of weeks. I'm looking for some feedback if I may ask for help?
My breakfast this week has consisted of two eggs (from my own chickens) poached in broth made from leg of lamb and pork hocks (both grass fed), and half an avocado. I drink yerba mate tea most mornings (2 cups w/ butter and xylitol in it), and drink the broth that I poached the eggs in.
Lunch I often don't really have, at least not until 3 or 4 in the afternoon, or later and then it's just supper. But that consists of a cup of broth, 1/2 cup of meat with either some added butter or cracklings from the lard I rendered (first time ever, and omg, the cracklings are yummy!!). I did have 1/2 cup of homemade applesauce last night (organic, just simmered apples, no other ingredients).
I drink at least 8-10 cups of water and have been drinking chamomile tea (grown in my garden). I take 200 mg betaine HCL, and some digestive enzymes as well as some magnesium complex (citrate and malate), and L-glutamine.
I am having really loose stool all week, although my energy level is not too bad and I am sleeping quite well(which has not been the norm lately, but I am having lots of weird dreams). But, my skin is breaking out (this has always been a problem for me), especially in the "intestinal area" around the sides of my mouth and below my ears.
Any suggestions/criticisms (perhaps this is not the right word) would be more than welcome.

2 Cups of mate, 8-10 cups of water, chamomile tea and broth with every meal could possibly be too much liquid, not to mention the xylitol and magnesium which also contribute to loose stools.

Consider also that full keto adaptation can take a number of weeks. Digestive and skin issues can be a sign that your body is detoxing stuff. If the problems continue after 4 weeks, then consider making some changes (such as removal of egg whites, more protein, more veggies).

Thanks Carl, I will cut back on some of the liquid and see if that helps. I also think you may be right about the detoxing, especially since the liquids that I drink haven't changed since I started the keto thing, I've just tried to be more conscious of liquid to make sure I get enough. I didn't want constipation creeping up on me :P

3D Student, I think I've been having approximately 25-35 grams of fat per afternoon/evening meal with about 50 grams of leg of lamb (approx. 25g protein and 7 grams fat???)and then whatever the mix of fat and protein in my teacup of broth is.

Breakfast with the avocado half I guess I'm having approx. 60 g of fat from the eggs, 28 g protein from the eggs, 12 g fat from the avocado, and a tiny amount of lamb (maybe 10 grams?) for a grand total of approx. 33 g protein, 72 g fat plus whatever is in my teacup of broth. If that is right, then breakfast may be the meal where I'm really overdoing the fat!!

Of course those numbers are very approximate because for all the pages I have looked at for fat, carb and protein content of foods vary so much in their amounts. Which source do you find the most reliable? I tried looking at the one that was posted on here near the beginning of the thread and it is no longer available.

I guess it might be helpful if I mentioned my physical reasons for doing the keto diet. While Paleo/SCD helped me lose about 20 pounds that I had gradually put on over the last 10 years, so my weight is fine; I have other issues - I need to go further in healing my gut and I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome which hadn't improved on Paleo. There are also too many yummy Paleo approved foods which I can go crazy on that then put Candida into overdrive again. I need some strict rules, lol. So those are the biggest things I need to heal, and I am also looking for more energy and subsequently to build my muscle mass. Then of course there is the possible link to spiritual transformation which I am keen to find out for myself.
I hope that isn't TMI...

I think not drinking before or after eating can help digestion - it helps me. I found not going carb free straight away helps but they are so many variables it's very hard to be able to actyally say whats wrong.

Back
Top Bottom