Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

For those wondering what to do with nuts that are sitting around, try standing them up on a wire and lighting them on fire. They will burn for a surprising amount of time! It is actually quite interesting to watch. Be ready to put an upside down jar over them though if you don't like the smoke they make when they go out.

Laura said:
Prodigal Son said:
mugatea said:
ok thanks.

I've been eating only between 12pm and 6pm (not all days though) so many days there is a 18 hour fast with no food. Just to clarify you say "two meals a day (breakfast and dinner)" plus a fatbomb for lunch. Does the fatbomb not count as a meal? Also that could be a 14 hour fast, is that still IF?

Thanks for you help.

Jamie
The fat bomb does not count as a meal. A 14 hour fast is still IF, yes.

Yes, the fat bomb CAN count as a meal!!!!

I totally agree - a common misconception I have come across a few times in this thread. IF means NOTHING to eat (water or tea is ok) in the fasting period. Because fat will influence your metabolism too, just in a different way than carbs/ protein.

Just wanted to reiterate that for all those who want to try IF.

[quote author= Laura]
As to sensitivities, yeah, I was really disappointed after my birthday banana fat bomb to discover that bananas are very unfriendly to my system. I even tested it again to make sure it was the banana. It was. However, I DO love bananas... so maybe I'll put up with it once a year. [/quote]

Bummer about the banana sensitivity. I've taken a liking to mashing 1/2 banana, stirring in 1 egg, then pan fry in coconut oil like a pancake. A sprinkle of cinnamon and xylitol on top and it is a quick and tasty treat. (for anyone who can tolerate banana and egg)

[quote author= Mrs. Tigersoap]
I remember you said that the banana bomb custard was poured in speculoos shells made from spelt. Are you sure you were not reacting to spelt, though? [/quote]

Did you test banana alone, Laura? Or the same fat bomb recipe?

Hello to all!

I'd like to ask a question that maybe someone has already answered (please tell me if that is so, as I didn't find it when searching this board). It's about the amount of water consumption in a keto (adapted) diet, as I'm reading in Maria Emmerich's book "Keto Adapted". I'll quote first and then ask:

"Hydration is important to pay attention to when starting off a keto-adapted low-carb diet because excess ketones are released through the kidneys along with a lot of liquid. This is one reason why 'low carbers' will complain of headaches and low energy at first: their diet isn't a 'well-formulated' program. You need to intentionally increase your liquids to at least half your body weight in ounces, and increase your sodium intake as well. You should be taking more than that at first, but once you are well into your keto-adapted state, you should aim for that amount". (Chapter 2, session "Water, Water, Water!")

So, what amount of sodium and water should one consume? Does anybody follow the rule enunciated above? What does it mean "increase your liquids to at least half your body weight in ounces"? I used an online conversion tool in order to know my weight in ounces (68kg = 2398 ounces approximately) but does that mean I should take about 1.2 liters of water per day (2400/2)? Thank you for your attention!

latulipenoire said:
Hello to all!

I'd like to ask a question that maybe someone has already answered (please tell me if that is so, as I didn't find it when searching this board). It's about the amount of water consumption in a keto (adapted) diet, as I'm reading in Maria Emmerich's book "Keto Adapted". I'll quote first and then ask:

"Hydration is important to pay attention to when starting off a keto-adapted low-carb diet because excess ketones are released through the kidneys along with a lot of liquid. This is one reason why 'low carbers' will complain of headaches and low energy at first: their diet isn't a 'well-formulated' program. You need to intentionally increase your liquids to at least half your body weight in ounces, and increase your sodium intake as well. You should be taking more than that at first, but once you are well into your keto-adapted state, you should aim for that amount". (Chapter 2, session "Water, Water, Water!")

So, what amount of sodium and water should one consume? Does anybody follow the rule enunciated above? What does it mean "increase your liquids to at least half your body weight in ounces"? I used an online conversion tool in order to know my weight in ounces (68kg = 2398 ounces approximately) but does that mean I should take about 1.2 liters of water per day (2400/2)? Thank you for your attention!

It means take your body weight in pounds and drink half that amount in fluid ounces. So for 68 kg you would drink approx. 75 fluid ounces of water per day. Personally I drink a lot more than that (as much as a gallon or more per day on physically active days), but I've had kidney stones before because of dehydration so it's partly preventative and partially to 'super-hydrate' as discussed by Dr. McGuff and Dr. Darden in their books on exercise. As for sodium, you'll be wanting about 3g or so per day. Broth helps a lot because it takes a lot of salt for it to taste good, at least it does for me anyway.

I remember someone made a comment referencing how the liver switches into water-saving mode at some point and becomes less able to do other tasks. Can someone point me to a reference on that? It sounds like some very useful information. If I drink more than 2 or 3 glasses a day I usually just feel worse, unless I do a lot of work and get thirsty.

Mrs. Tigersoap said:
Laura said:
As to sensitivities, yeah, I was really disappointed after my birthday banana fat bomb to discover that bananas are very unfriendly to my system. I even tested it again to make sure it was the banana. It was. However, I DO love bananas... so maybe I'll put up with it once a year.

I remember you said that the banana bomb custard was poured in speculoos shells made from spelt. Are you sure you were not reacting to spelt, though? Even what we call in French 'petit épeautre' (small spelt) still contains 7% gluten.

Yeah, I tested the banana alone.

And now and then I have a couple speculos for a treat and they have never bothered me.

Strange thing is that this pain that came with the banana has not completely gone away despite being very, very good for awhile. So I'm wondering if there is something in bananas that takes awhile to metabolize out of a person's system? I mean, I've gone for years now with no pain in my hands and after the banana, my hands just plain hurt a lot of the time!

Maybe the bananas are not worth it, even once a year.

Laura said:
Mrs. Tigersoap said:
Laura said:
As to sensitivities, yeah, I was really disappointed after my birthday banana fat bomb to discover that bananas are very unfriendly to my system. I even tested it again to make sure it was the banana. It was. However, I DO love bananas... so maybe I'll put up with it once a year.

I remember you said that the banana bomb custard was poured in speculoos shells made from spelt. Are you sure you were not reacting to spelt, though? Even what we call in French 'petit épeautre' (small spelt) still contains 7% gluten.

Yeah, I tested the banana alone.

And now and then I have a couple speculos for a treat and they have never bothered me.

Strange thing is that this pain that came with the banana has not completely gone away despite being very, very good for awhile. So I'm wondering if there is something in bananas that takes awhile to metabolize out of a person's system? I mean, I've gone for years now with no pain in my hands and after the banana, my hands just plain hurt a lot of the time!

I did a little search and it seems that it has to do with histamine reactions too. Nevertheless there is something particular about bananas, which is that people who allergic to it are normally allergic to Latex too. Maybe that's the "evil" thing in it? :huh:

A Banana Allergy is No Laughing Matter

The First Time Might be the Last Time – Banana Allergy Symptoms

Sometimes, the human body does the wrong thing. In certain instances, the result is an allergy or sensitivity. In this case, the body treats a friend like an enemy. While an allergy to banana is not usually serious, occasionally it can be very dangerous. Sometimes, just being in close proximity to the fruit can trigger a response. The United Kingdom’s Telegraph has reported on unusual places where bananas have been banned because staff members have allergies.

It seems that a British Broadcasting Corporation staff member and another at Stoke Damerel Primary School in Plymouth, have experienced significant allergic reactions to the beloved fruit, so no one is permitted to bring the fruit on site.

Banana allergy
An allergy is often developed after exposure to an allergen. Therefore, the first time a banana is eaten, there may be no reaction. It may take time for symptoms to become bothersome enough to even notice, or the next time the fruit is eaten, the response might be devastating.

There are two kinds of banana allergies. Whether an individual suffers from a banana allergy related to tree pollen or one that is associated with a latex allergy, the results are the same. The delicious fruit is forbidden. Those allergic to bananas are also often allergic to other foods because they have the same protein that is responsible for the adverse response of the allergy sufferer. Some of these foods include:

- Avocados
- Mangos
- Chestnuts
- Kiwi
- Passion Fruit

If the allergy is the result of a sensitivity to tree pollen, symptoms can occur quickly. Itching is a common response and frequently starts at the first points of contact – the lips, tongue and throat. If the esophagus becomes inflamed, this is a condition known as (Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE)). A runny or stuffy nose, wheezing, coughing, watery eyes and other common symptoms can occur.

If, instead, the reaction is related to latex, the victim can experience severe abdominal pain, cramps, and bloating. Diarrhea and vomiting, more violent symptoms, involve a condition known as (Food Protein-Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome (FPIES)). Swelling, rash, hives, welts and other types of inflammation can occur.

This is because the body generates antibodies and histamine in an effort to combat the perceived intruder. In some cases, breathing may become difficult because the airway becomes constricted. Another serious complication involves low blood pressure caused by the dilation of the blood vessels. In the case of a latex-fruit allergy, swelling can occur on the face, arm or chest.

Fever is a potential symptom for those experiencing banana allergies or sensitivities. It is also possible for an allergic reaction to result in an intensification of some ailments including eczema or asthma. Conversely, a family history of these conditions can indicate a propensity for developing an allergy to bananas.

While it is possible that heating bananas will render them harmless as in the case of banana bread, it is not certain. Under the care of a doctor, a patient may be able to learn whether cooked bananas are safe. Still, if an individual is not currently allergic to cooked bananas, it is no guarantee that such an allergy will not develop in the future.

Anaphylaxis can occur in extreme circumstances. If the reaction is severe enough, shock may occur. In such cases, medical treatment is a necessity, or death may occur.

The Latex-Banana Connection for Those with a Banana Allergy

Because the allergens found in latex and bananas are similar, many who suffer from one often suffer from the other. This is referred to as cross-reactivity. In the case of bananas, chitinase, a protein, is the allergen in question. The reaction to latex or bananas involves a reaction to this protein as the immune system springs into unwanted action. Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS) is the term used to describe allergies involving food.

The incidence of latex allergies appears to be increasing. It would seem possible that the related allergy to bananas might increase, as well. If you know you have a latex allergy, it is important to be aware of the possibility you may be allergic to bananas, as well. There is a lot of “networking” as far as allergies are concerned. It turns out that children who suffer from pollen and/or ragweed allergies are more likely to develop a banana allergy.

I've found that it is quite common actually, but mostly the gastrointestinal symptoms. It seems that it can also have a cross-reactivity with gluten too, and, from a celiac forum:

There's 2 possibilities that I can think of, other than a simple banana intolerance.

Bananas contain a type of amine that people can be sensitive to. Amines are found in most meats (especially cured), cheese (especially matured or ripened), chocolate, and bananas. I can't remember all the amine sources all at the moment, look in to the RPA elimination diet or failsafe diet for more info. It's possible to be sensitive to only one type of amine, so you may have a particular sensitivity to the type in bananas. Amines in bananas increase as the fruit ripen, so if you are more sensitive to ripe or overripe bananas it may be of interest.

Fructose is a potential problem too. The fructose content decreases in bananas as they ripen, so if you had a problem with fructose you may notice your reactions are worse with under ripe or just ripe bananas.

latulipenoire said:
Hello to all!

I used to drink HUGE amounts of water when I ate HUGE amounts of carbs. Had to as I was always thirsty. I probably used to drink about a gallon a day, every day. I've now been in ketosis for over 4 years, and am very rarely thirsty. I drink barely a liter a day. When I was still adapting to a ketogenic diet, I was taking quite a bit of supplements, so that helped drink more water. But since I don't take many supplements now, I only drink when I'm thirsty, which is rare. When I smoke, I'll take a couple of sips after I'm done, and that's how it adds up to maybe a liter a day.

Another good way to get more salt, is to eat egg yolks. I eat two every day. You can really pile up a whole lot of salt, and it doesn't taste too salty.

On the topic of histamine problems, does it make any sense to try shungite water as in the link below or do many things have a similar effect?

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=37735.new#new

SeekinTruth said:
When I smoke, I'll take a couple of sips after I'm done, and that's how it adds up to maybe a liter a day.

That's funny you mention that - I have the same thing. After every smoke I feel thirsty, but after a few gulps of water it's all gone. I average probably around 2 -3 litres a day, but this is because I live in a tropical/ semi-desert region and sweat a lot.

Urine colour can be an indicator too, it should be yellow. But not dark yellow, then you are dehydrated, and it shouldn't be pale yellow/ watery looking, because then you are overdoing it. If you need to go to the toilet every hour to pee, you are probably overdoing it as well.

I don't think that the above rule is really valid. It might maybe be so on a standard Western diet (SWD), but certainly not if you are in ketosis. If you drink huge amounts of water your body will eliminate a lot of electrolytes that will need to be replenished - and that is certainly not something we get with a SWD.

Another thing is that for me my thirst mechanism seems to function much better since I am in ketosis. I don't have any scientific evidence for this, it might just be me and is totally subjective. But like ST I now only drink when I feel thirsty. Maybe ketosis resets your thirst mechanism somehow.

On the matter of salt, as long as you take a full-spectrum salt (and not the "table salt") it's going to be beneficial. The low-salt craze is even beginning to register in mainstream medicine as just that - a craze. If I slack off with salt I get cramps in my legs pretty darn fast - then I know that I have to increase my salt intake. Funny enough if I take magnesium against the cramps it doesn't seem to help much. Salt however works every time. And thankfully I love it!

Yeah, I agree with what you wrote, nicklebleu. That's pretty much my experience too.

One more thing about getting enough salt. I put sea salt in a glass about a 1/4 inch and add a bit of water about a 1/2 inch, so that all the salt doesn't dissolve in the water (there's always a bunch of salt at the bottom) to make the water "supersaturated" with salt. Then I'll put a 1/2 teaspoon or so of the supersaturate into a 1/2 or full cup of water and drink it first thing in the morning on most days - no cramps and a boost of energy is the result.

Just to chime in on the topic of water, I find myself extremely thirsty most of the time since being in ketosis. If I have only had 1-2 pints by the afternoon, I start to get headaches and feel a real lack of energy. Whereas when in sugar-burning mode I barely had to drink any water. If 3-4 litres haven't been drunk throughout the day I usually wake up in the morning with an awfully dry mouth and really concentrated urine.
nicklebleu said:
Urine colour can be an indicator too, it should be yellow. But not dark yellow, then you are dehydrated, and it shouldn't be pale yellow/ watery looking, because then you are overdoing it. If you need to go to the toilet every hour to pee, you are probably overdoing it as well.

I don't think that the above rule is really valid. It might maybe be so on a standard Western diet (SWD), but certainly not if you are in ketosis. If you drink huge amounts of water your body will eliminate a lot of electrolytes that will need to be replenished - and that is certainly not something we get with a SWD.

Yeah I agree, this seems to be different in ketosis. If the urine is yellow of any sort it's usually a sign that I have been dehydrated. Iv'e found that the body actually communicates with you to let you know when you need more water, whereas in carb-mode this wasn't so obvious. Another great way to add salt in is to have it in a fat-drink in the morning. It goes especially nice in a hot-cocoa with 80g of fat, some sweetener and a bit of celtic sea salt mmmm - currently drinking one while typing :cool:

Yeah, I used to put 1/3 teaspoon of sea salt in my fatty cocoa. Now I've been having a chocolate pudding type thing instead for the last couple of weeks that includes softened butter, cocoa, stevia, and sea salt.

I just thought of this and thought I'd throw it out. For those having issues involving histamine, I've read years ago that the amino acid L-histidine counteracts it in many cases. Don't have that much personal experience with it myself, but it might be worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom