Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

dugdeep said:
I'm reading the article now and so far it's been very enlightening. I realize I need to get on to the exercise thing, but the low carb flu seems to have hit me hard and I had muscle soreness and fatigue all day today. It's probably just a matter of forcing myself into exercise, so I'm going to get on that with some push-ups and sit-ups tomorrow.

Excellent! Yes, you just need to do it. It's not that hard once you start. I used to hate working out. But this is easy. one minute with as much weight as you can, 2 minutes rest, start again with another muscle, etc. 20-30 minutes total. It goes by quickly! It might help you a lot with the soreness. And you can do warm magnesium soaks or cold baths. That helps too!

MK Scarlett, thanks for being more specific, and sorry for having misunderstood you. I thought you had fasted completely for 10 days!

Ailén said:
dugdeep said:
I'm reading the article now and so far it's been very enlightening. I realize I need to get on to the exercise thing, but the low carb flu seems to have hit me hard and I had muscle soreness and fatigue all day today. It's probably just a matter of forcing myself into exercise, so I'm going to get on that with some push-ups and sit-ups tomorrow.

Excellent! Yes, you just need to do it. It's not that hard once you start. I used to hate working out. But this is easy. one minute with as much weight as you can, 2 minutes rest, start again with another muscle, etc. 20-30 minutes total. It goes by quickly! It might help you a lot with the soreness. And you can do warm magnesium soaks or cold baths. That helps too!

MK Scarlett, thanks for being more specific, and sorry for having misunderstood you. I thought you had fasted completely for 10 days!

No matters Ailén, thank you SO much for your help! My tongue is white on the morning, so I guess I might be in cetose, but I will have to buy some test strips for ketosis on tomorrow, when my pharmacist will be back from holidays, and with them I will be sure and able to report in an effective way.
I also have to work-out as you specifically explained it to dugdeep, which is enough easily to understand to me, by the way! I also have study your link:

Ailén said:
For those who have started the protein restrictiong/IF, but not the workout (Dugdeep, SeekinTruth...), here is something you might want to read. You actually need to read the entire paper in order to understand the specific terms if you are a genetics ignorant (guilty here!):

Exercise therapy and diet.

Mitochondrial diseases are generally associated with exercise intolerance, and exercise training is beneficial to the treatment of mitochondrial diseases. Muscle deconditioning in response to inactivity and unloading is common in patients with mitochondrial disease. Promotion of aerobic training with moderate exercise can attenuate or avoid this deconditioning and thus be beneficial to patients (280).

Exercise-based treatment strategies can be subdivided into two categories: endurance exercise and resistance exercise. Endurance training
is known to induce OXPHOS and antioxidant capacity and is expected to modulate exercise intolerance in patients. The effects of aerobic
training in a group of 20 patients carrying well characterized mtDNA molecular defects were investigated over a 12-week period, and the approach
had beneficial effects (281). In another study (280) of eight patients with single largescale mtDNA deletions, the subjects showed significant improvement after 14 weeks of aerobic training. Oxygen utilization and skeletal muscle oxygen extraction, peak capacity to do work, and submaximal exercise tolerance were all increased. However, detraining resulted in a loss of these physiological benefits, whereas another round of 14 weeks of training for a subset of patients maintained those individuals’ beneficial adaptations (280). Both studies showed
that aerobic training is well tolerated and safe for patients, but the investigators observed no change in mtDNA copy number.

Resistance exercise activates the proliferation of satellite cells in skeletal muscle as a consequence of muscle fiber injury. The level of mutant mtDNA in satellite cells is generally lower than in mature muscle fibers. Hence, fusion of satellite cells shifts the heteroplasmic level toward the wild-type mtDNAs, leading to improvement in patient OXPHOS capacity.

In a case study of a patient harboring a tRNA mutation, significant changes in mutant load and muscle morphology were induced by either
eccentric or concentric resistance exercise training
(282). In another recent study, a group of eight patients carrying large-scale mtDNA
deletions underwent resistance exercise testing during 12 weeks; the patients showed significant therapeutic benefits and a reduced proportion
of mutant mtDNAs
(283).

As an alternative, although riskier, approach to exercise, skeletal muscle may be partially damaged by bupivacaine injection. This damage
could induce satellite cells with reduced mtDNA mutant loads to fuse with the muscle fibers and reduce heteroplasmy (284).

There are other remarks in that paper about the difference betwwen endurance exercise and resistance exercise: The first one increases OXPHOS (oxidative phosphorylation), which is good, but not in excess and although it provides us with more energy, it doesn't actually heal the DNA, while the second actually has the deepest effects at the mitochondrial level, as described in the quote above. Or so I understand.

I think that a clue for us here, once again, is that it points out to the possibility of reducing the mutant mtDNA, therefore allowing for the "wild" (good) DNA to increase, therefore perhaps actually being one of the things we have been missing until now with the diet. Basically, all autoinmune diseases seem to stem from this damaged/mutant mitochondria. If we manage to repair it, could this be at least one of the things that lead us to "The Path of Transformation"? To a healthier life, most likely, and that's already not bad at all, I would say. ;)

Thank you again!

Here is one of the papers we have read recently, which has some food for thought. I’ll quote the whole text with highlights and comments, because it’s not too long. It's available here for free download: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19168117

The effects of a ketogenic diet on ATP concentrations and thenumber of hippocampal mitochondria in Aldh5a1−/− mice

Kirk Nylen, Jose Luis Perez Velazquez, Venus Sayed, K. Michael Gibson, W.M.Burnham, and O. Carter Snead III

Summary

BACKGROUND—Succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase (SSADH) deficiency is an inborn error of GABA metabolism characterized clinically by ataxia, psychomotor retardation and seizures. Amouse model of SSADH deficiency, the Aldh5a1−/− mouse, has been used to study thepathophysiology and treatment of this disorder. Recent work from our group has shown that the ketogenic diet (KD) is effective in normalizing the Aldh5a1−/− phenotype, although the mechanism of the effect remains unclear.

METHODS—Here, we examine the effects of a KD on the number of hippocampal mitochondria as well as on ATP levels in hippocampus. Electron microscopy was performed to determine the number of mitochondria in the hippocampus of Aldh5a1−/− mice. Adenosine triphosphate (ATP)levels were measured in hippocampal extracts.

RESULTS—Our results show that the KD increases the number of mitochondria in Aldh5a1−/−mice. We also show that Aldh5a1−/− mice have significant reductions in hippocampal ATP levels ascompared to controls, and that the KD restores ATP in mutant mice to normal levels.

CONCLUSIONS & GENERAL SIGNIFICANCE—Taken together, our data suggest that the KD’s actions on brain mitochondria may play a role in the diet’s ability to treat murine SSADH deficiency.

Introduction

Succinic semialdehyde dehydrogenase (SSADH) deficiency is a rare, autosomal recessive disorder of γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA) biotransformation[1,2]. A murine analog of SSADH deficiency, the Aldh5a1−/− mouse, was developed to study the pathophysiology and treatment of this disorder[3]. Aldh5a1−/− mice exhibit developmental delay, ataxia and a seizure disorder that progresses from absence seizures (~post-natal day, P, 15) to lethal status epilepticus (~P25)[3,4]. Recent work from our laboratory showed that the ketogenic diet (KD) is effective inprolonging the lifespan of Aldh5a1−/− mice[5]. Our studies showed that the KD normalizes perturbations to GABAergic systems, but that these effects may not fully explain the beneficial effects of the KD in this model. Recent trends in the literature have caused us to turn our attention towards the role of mitochondria in the KD’s mechanism of action in Aldh5a1−/−mice.

Mitochondria provide the majority of energy for cellular function. The energy comes fromadenosine triphosphate (ATP), which is produced by the Krebs cycle and the electron transport chain in mitochondria, through the oxidation of fats, carbohydrates and proteins[6]. Sauer and colleagues found a significant, hippocampal-specific impairment of mitochondrial function in Aldh5a1−/− mice, as compared to wildtype mice[7]. Other deficits have been found that implicate mitochondrial function. Gibson and colleagues reported a significant decreasein glutathione levels and increased apoptotic cell death in the hippocampus of Aldh5a1−/− mice, which is consistent with diminished mitochondrial function[8]. Hogema et al. likewise showed significant levels of gliosis in the hippocampi of Aldh5a1−/− mice[3]. Both apoptosis and gliosiscan be caused by reactive oxygen species, which are produced by unhealthy mitochondria[9].The KD has been shown to cause mitochondrial biogenesis in normal rats, resulting in a 50% increase in the total number of mitochondria and a corresponding significant up-regulation of mitochondrial-associated mRNA[10]. Masino et al.[11] have also found that the KD causes asignificant increase in brain ATP levels. These studies concluded that changes in brain energy metabolism might underlie the KD’s actions. Recently, Aldh5a1−/− mice have been shown to have a significantly impaired ability to oxidize glucose as compared to wildtype mice[12].Given the disruptions in hippocampal mitochondrial function reported in Aldh5a1−/− mice andthe reported beneficial effects of the KD on mitochondria, it was hypothesized that the KD would ameliorate the diminished mitochondrial function in Aldh5a1−/− mice. The present study, therefore, used electron microscopy to quantify the number of mitochondria inhippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurons of KD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice, as well as CD fedAldh5a1−/− mice and Aldh5a1+/+ mice.

ATP levels were measured in hippocampal tissue from the above-mentioned groups since a net increase in the number of mitochondria may not equate to a net increase in the production of ATP.

We therefore hypothesized that Aldh5a1−/− mice would have significantly reduced number and function of mitochondria in the hippocampus. Also, in keeping with previous reports[10] we hypothesized that KD fed mutants would show a restored number of mitochondria, and a significant elevation of ATP levels.

Materials and Methods

Subjects

Aldh5a1−/− and Aldh5a1+/+ mice served as subjects for the present experiments. All subjects were housed in a pathogen free environment with controlled lighting (12h light/12h dark, lightson at 7am). Water was available to all subjects ad libitum. All experimental protocols wereapproved by the Hospital for Sick Children Laboratory Animal Services Committee.

Experiments were carried out in accordance with the guidelines of the Canadian Council onAnimal Care.

Diets

A 4:1 ketogenic diet (KD) served as the KD in all experiments. Standard laboratory mouse chow served as the control diet (CD) in all experiments[In other papers it is explained that the mouse chow contains 80-85% carbs)]. All diets were available to the micead libitum.

The composition of the 4:1 KD has been published elsewhere[5]. The 4:1 KD was composedof four parts fat to one part of combined carbohydrate and protein (by weight), to provide aclassic KD. The classic KD is the most often used clinically. Powder containing protein andmicronutrients such as mineral and vitamins was obtained from Harlan Teklad (Madison, WI;TD.03490) and was stored at 4 Celsius. Fats in the form of unsalted butter, lard and canola oilwere added to the powder[5]. The KD, once made, was stored at 4° Celsius.

Normal laboratory rodent chow (Purina, #5001) served as the control diet for all experiments[5].

All diets were introduced to subjects on postnatal day 12. The reason for administering the KD this early was to ensure that any non-suckling feeding that took place was still ketogenic innature.

Tissue Preparation for Electron MicroscopyFor the electron microscopy experiment, subjects were divided into three groups: CD fedAldh5a1+/+ (N=3), CD fed Aldh5a1−/− (N=3) and KD fed Aldh5a1−/−(N=3). Between 22–25days of age, mice were anesthetized with 0.01mg/kg sodium pentobarbital (injected i.p.). Uponreaching a surgical plane of anesthesia, mice were perfused transcardially with 0.1M phosphatebuffer for 5 minutes at a rate of 5ml/min using a varistatic infusion pump (Model 72-315-000Manostat™, Barnant Company, Barrington, IL, USA). This was followed by a 10 minuteperfusion with 2% glutaraldehyde in 0.1M phosphate buffer (pH 7.4) at the same rate. Uponcompletion of the perfusion, brains were extracted and post-fixed by submersion in theglutaraldehyde fixative solution for at least two days.

Transverse coronal sections were subsequently cut at 50μm using a Vibrotome (Series 1000;Technical Products International; Ellisville, MD). Hippocampi were then dissected out of thesesections and washed 3 times with 0.1M sodium cacodylate buffer, pH 7.3. Three sections weretaken from each brain. The tissue was then treated with 1% osmium tetroxide and 1.25%potassium ferrocyanide in cacodylate buffer for 1.5 hours at room temperature. It was thenwashed 3 times with cacodylate buffer. The hippocampal sections were then dehydratedthrough a graded series of ethanol (EtOH) as follows: 70% EtOH (2 × 10 minutes), 90% EtOH(2 × 10 minutes) and 100% EtOH (3 × 10 minutes). Samples were then infiltrated with EPON™resin (Hexion Inc, Houston TX, USA) as follows: 100% propylene oxide (3 × 10 minutes), 1:1EPON™ to propylene oxide for 2 hours, 3:1 EPON™ to propylene oxide for 2 hours, 100%EPON™ overnight and finally, 100% EPON™ for 4 hours. Samples were then placed in freshEPON™ which was polymerized overnight in a 70°C oven.

Sections were further cut at 80nm using an UltraCut Leica EM FCS system (LeicaMircosystems; Wetzlar, Germany) and collected on copper grids and stained with uranylacetate and lead citrate.

Electron Microscopy

10 CA1 pyramidal cell bodies were imaged from each subject, with three subjects per group. Sections were examined using a FEI Tecnai G2 F20 transmission electron Microscope (FEICompany, Hillsboro, Oregon). The CA1 pyramidal cell region of the hippocampus was located.Pictures of somatic mitochondria were obtained at a magnification of 6900× to 8500×.

Analysis of Mitochondrial Counts

The number of mitochondria per micrograph was blindly counted by two independent researchers. The mean of the two researchers’ counts was used for subsequent analyses. ImageJ(v. 1.38X, National Institutes of Health, USA) image analysis software was used to determine the density of mitochondria in the soma, as well as the total area of the soma—excluding the nucleus, which does not contain mitochondria—that was occupied by mitochondria. This calculation gave the percent-area that the mitochondria occupied in the cell body.

Tissue Preparation for ATP Assay

For the ATP experiment, subjects were divided into three groups: CD fed Aldh5a1+/+ (N=13),CD fed Aldh5a1−/− (N=11) and KD fed Aldh5a1−/− (N=12). Between P22–25, mice from eachgroup (one at a time) were injected with 0.01mg/kg sodium pentobarbital (injected i.p.). Upona surgical plane of anesthesia, each subject was decapitated and its brain was extracted.Between 5–20μg of tissue was extracted from the left and right hippocampi. Upon removal,the tissue was immediately flash frozen by submersion in liquid nitrogen. Samples were storedat −80° until the assay was performed.

ATP Calibration Curves

Immediately before running the assay, samples were removed from the freezer and thawed oncrushed ice. ATP levels were determined using a commercially available ATP-Glo ™Bioluminometric Cell Viability Assay kit (#30020-1, Biotium Inc., Hayward, CA, USA).ATP calibration curves were generated according to kit. The assay uses firefly luciferase inthe presence of ATP, which oxidizes D-luciferin resulting in the emission of light. Lightemission levels were measured using a luminometer (Turner Designs, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA).A series of ten-fold titrations from 100 ρmoles (picomoles) to 0.01 ρmoles of ATP wereprepared in 100μL of distilled water (DH2O) for each sample in a 1.5mL microfuge tube.100μL of ATP-Glo™ detection cocktail was then added to each microfuge tube containing theindicated amount of ATP. Each microfuge tube was agitated to ensure thorough mixing beforethe tube was placed in the luminometer. Light emission was integrated over 10 seconds withno pre-read delay. A sensitivity setting of 31% was used.

Quantification of ATP Production

After the calibration curves were run, ATP levels from the tissue samples were quantified. Firefly luciferase was added to the luciferin –containing ATP-Glo™ assay solution in a ratioof 1μL to 100μL (25μL luciferase for 2.5 mL of the ATP-Glo™ assay solution). The ATPGlo™ Detection Cocktail was prepared immediately before each use according to themanufacturer’s directions.

The luminometer was always adjusted to the settings obtained when running the standard samples. As such, the luminometer was set with a delay time of 0 seconds and an integrationtime of 10 seconds. The sensitivity setting was 31%. Samples were run, one-at-a-time, in thesame order that they were prepared. One hundred μL of ATP-Glo™ Detection Cocktail wasadded to each sample. Each tube was manually agitating before the tube was placed in theluminometer and measurement initiated. The relative luminescence activity was recorded andthe next sample was then prepared. Relative luminescence was translated into ATP concentration using the calibration curves constructed earlier.

Results

Mitochondrial Density

Figure 1 shows representative electron micrographs from CA1 pyramidal cells ofAldh5a1+/+ mice fed a CD (a), Aldh5a1−/− mice fed a CD (b) and Aldh5a1−/− mice fed a KD(c). Using electron microscopy we counted the number of mitochondria present in the somata of CA1 pyramidal cells from the brains of CD fed Aldh5a1+/+ mice, CD fed Aldh5a1−/− miceand KD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice.

Figure 2a shows the mean (±s.d.) number of mitochondria per 10μm2 in electron micrographstaken from CD fed Aldh5a1+/+ mice, CD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice and KD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice.This gives a measure of mitochondrial density. As indicated, the mean number of mitochondria was lowest in CD fed wildtype mice, intermediate in the CD fed mutants and the highest in the KD fed mutants. A one-way ANOVA was used to compare group means. A significant difference was detected among the groups (F=4.569, p=0.019). Tukey’s post-hoc analyses revealed that KD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice (mean±s.d; 2.58±0.52) had a significantly higher density of mitochondria than Aldh5a1+/+ mice (2.03±0.24; p<0.05). The CD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice did not differ significantly from either of the other groups (p>0.05).

Mitochondrial Area

Figure 2b shows the mean (±s.d.) somatic area occupied by mitochondria (calculated as apercentage of total somatic area) in CD fed Aldh5a1+/+ mice, CD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice and KD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice. The mean somatic area was lowest in CD fed wildtype mice, similarly low in the CD fed mutants and significantly elevated in the KD fed mutants. A one-way ANOVA detected a significant difference among the groups (F=6.626, p=0.0046). Tukey’spost-hoc analyses showed that mitochondria occupy a significantly larger area of the soma in KD fed mutant mice (mean±s.d.; 8.00±2.25) than CD fed wildtype mice (6.03±0.55; p<0.05).The difference between KD fed mutant mice and CD fed mutant mice approached significance(p=0.06), but was not statistically significant. There was no statistical difference between CD fed mutant mice and CD fed wildtype mice.

ATP Quantification in Hippocampal Tissue

Figure 3 shows the mean (±s.d.) hippocampal ATP levels (expressed as picomoles ATP perdecigram of tissue) in CD fed Aldh5a1+/+ mice, CD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice and KD fedAldh5a1−/− mice. As indicated, hippocampal ATP levels are high in CD fed wildtype mice andKD fed mutant mice, intermediate in KD fed wildtype mice and low in CD fed mutant mice.A one-way ANOVA showed a significant different between the groups (F=3.90, p=0.03). ATukey’s post-hoc revealed that CD fed mutants had significantly lower ATP levels than CD fed wildtype mice and KD fed mutant mice (p<0.05). Therefore, CD fed mutants had significantly decreased hippocampal ATP levels whereas KD fed mutants had normal levels of hippocampal ATP.

Discussion

The present experiments were designed to explore whether KD-induced changes to mitochondria in Aldh5a1−/− mice play a role in the diet’s mechanism of action in these mutantmice.

The present study found that the KD does act to increase the number of mitochondria in theCA1 pyramidal cells of Aldh5a1−/− mice. The KD also normalizes the deficits in hippocampal ATP levels that are seen in CD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice.

Mitochondrial Profiles

Experiments on mitochondrial profiles were designed to determine whether Aldh5a1−/− micehad normal mitochondrial numbers and size as compared to wildtype controls. We hypothesized that Aldh5a1−/− mice would have significantly fewer hippocampal mitochondria and that the KD would elevate mitochondrial numbers in Aldh5a1−/− mice.

Mitochondria Number—Interestingly, mitochondrial number is not lower in CD fedmutants, as hypothesized. Sauer et al. showed that CD fed mutants have impaired hippocampal mitochondrial function[7]. Our data suggest that this impairment is not caused by a decrease in the number of mitochondria.

The present study confirms the findings of Bough et al. by showing that the KD increases the number of hippocampal mitochondria[10].

Mitochondrial Size—Although the above study showed that KD fed mutants had significantly more mitochondria, it was not clear whether these mitochondria were normal in size. Therefore, the next study was to compare the percentage of the cell body that is occupied by mitochondria. We found that approximately 6% of the soma was occupied by mitochondriain CD fed wildtype mice and CD fed mutant mice. This jumped, however, to approximately 8% in KD fed mutant mice.

These data show that the KD-induced increase in mitochondrial number corresponds to an increase in the area of the soma occupied by mitochondria.

Mitochondrial ATP Levels in Hippocampus

This experiment was performed to test the hypotheses that CD fed mutant mice would have lower ATP levels than wildtype mice, and that the KD would restore ATP levels in the mutant mice. We found that hippocampal ATP levels are high in CD fed wildtype mice and KD fed mutant mice, and low in CD fed mutant mice. An ANOVA revealed that hippocampal ATP levels were significantly lower in CD fed mutant mice as compared to CD fed wildtype mice and KD fed mutants.

Sauer et al. showed that hippocampal neurons from CD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice have significantlyimpaired mitochondrial function[7]. Specifically, they identified deficiencies in complex I-IVof the electron transport chain, which is essential for the aerobic production of ATP. Our data extend the findings of Sauer et al.[7] to show that CD fed mutants have significantly lower hippocampal ATP levels. Significantly reduced hippocampal ATP may play a role in thephenotype of Aldh5a1−/− mice. This possibility is discussed further below.

Previous reports have suggested that the KD elevates ATP levels in the brain[11,13], while other groups have failed to show such an elevation[10], but instead found a significant increase in other high-energy bonds as evidenced by a significance increase in the phosphocreatine-tocreatineratio[10].

Relationship Between Mitochondrial Data and Seizures in Aldh5a1−/− Mice

The observation that Aldh5a1+/+ mice have similar a number of mitochondria as Aldh5a1−/−fed a CD, and at the same time the mutants have lower levels of ATP, supports the previous observations of mitochondrial impairment in the mutants[7]. It was shown in other studies that mitochondrial dysfunctions and oxidative stress are closely related to epileptiform activity.Thus, in vivo kindling was reported to increase oxidative stress leading to neurodegenerationin the hippocampi of rats[14]. Increased free radical production was also reported in other invivo seizure models[15], and in vitro studies demonstrated a close correlation between paroxysmal events and free radical formation as well as intracellular calcium accumulation,which causes mitochondrial dysfunction[16]. In addition, oxidative stress is also known to enhance the propensity to paroxysmal activity by altering the intrinsic membrane properties of neurons[17], hence there seems to be a clear relationship between oxidative stress/mitochondrial dysfunction and epileptiform activity[18][In the next paper I'll quote from, there is much more about stress and the possible benefits from the KD.] Considering these observations, it is therefore possible that Aldh5a1−/− have mitochondrial alterations, which may enhance the propensity of seizures, which in turn cause more oxidative stress and mitochondrial impairment.

Role of mitochondria in the KD’s actions in Aldh5a1−/− mice

Lacking the SSADH enzyme results in numerous abnormalities that contribute to the phenotypeof Aldh5a1−/− mice. GABA and GHB are highly elevated and almost certainly play a role inthe absence seizures[4], decreased TBPS binding[5,19] and reduced mIPSC activity[5] inAldh5a1−/− mice. Elevation of these neuroactive compounds, however, might not explain the tonic-clonic seizures[4] (whose onset is not blocked by the suppression of absence seizures using ethosuximide), ataxia, and weight loss[5].

We hypothesize that Aldh5a1−/− mice experience a significant energy deficit as a result of the inability to efficiently utilize glucose as an energy substrate[12]. [Well, this might apply to humans as well, since although we do seem to have the ability to utilize glucose for energy, we haven't evolved to live from sugar, and we end up paying a high price with the normal diet! ] This idea is further supportedby data showing that Aldh5a1−/− fed a CD are ketotic (even when infused with glucose)[5,12], and that the onset of weight loss and seizures corresponds to the time of weaning inAldh5a1−/− pups[3]. Also, upon autopsy, Aldh5a1−/− mice have little-to-no body fat, suggesting that they are oxidizing their fat stores for energy, even while on a high carbohydrate diet[5]. Our working hypothesis is that the KD’s beneficial effects in Aldh5a1−/− mice are a result of the diet’s ability to offer an alternate oxidizable energy substrate, i.e., fat. This yields asignificant increase in ketone bodies, which can be oxidized for energy production in place of glucose. This restores the amount of energy available to the mice, allowing processes that were perturbed, due to inadequate energy, to begin functioning more normally. The present data support this idea as KD fed mutants had significantly more mitochondria. Further, CD fed mutants had significantly less hippocampal ATP, whereas KD fed mutants had normal hippocampal ATP levels.

This hypothesis is not without its problems, however, as it does not explain why Aldh5a1−/−mice still progress in their disease state—albeit significantly more slowly—when supplied with an alternative energy source through administration of the KD. One possible explanation relates to the fact that ketones can only account for 30–60% of total brain energy[20,21]. This is due to the rate-limiting step in ketone body utilization in the brain, which is the transport of acetoacetate and beta-hydroxybutyrate into the brain via the monocarboxyllic transporter[20].If mutant mice are not using glucose efficiently, and ketones can only account for 30–60% of total brain energy, then perhaps brain function begins to break down after prolonged exposur eto inadequate levels of energy substrate. This may explain why mutant mice fed a KD ultimately succumb to the same fate, albeit significantly later in life, than CD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice. [This suggests that genetic diseases might be prevented from progressing when it is not possible to find a cure. In some cases, though, it might actually restore the mitochondrial function enough to allow the body to compensate for the deficit and heal?]

Summary

The present study found that the KD does act to increase the number of mitochondria in theCA1 pyramidal cells of Aldh5a1−/− mice. The KD also normalizes the deficits in hippocampal ATP levels that are seen in CD fed Aldh5a1−/− mice. Taken together, the KD’s beneficial effects in Aldh5a1−/− mice may be mediated, in part, through the diet’s actions on mitochondria.

So, more ATP (the body's "battery"), and a proliferation of the healthy/wild mitochondria, and a clue about possible changes in DNA even when talking about a genetic glitch. Not bad, eh?

I forgot to add that there are several other papers on hippocampal mitochondria, and on how there is a deficit of such related to some diseases and aging. For example: Hippocampal mitochondrial dysfunction in rat aging. I haven't read it yet, but I think this is possibly also another clue for us about the "path of transformation". It's not just about rejuvenation, of course (although I doubt anybody here would be particularly against it ;)), but about what the body can actually do as a conduit when our cells are in perfect working order. Would it be possible that it activates our "receivership capability"? I guess we'll see...

« Reply of Approaching Infinity #234 on: Today at 05:41:50 AM »
How 'bout a bacon cup with bacon/lard filling (or pate/lard)?

Hi, Approaching Infinity. The ultimate art in the kitchen. Your edible basket looks delicious.

quote from Ailén
We have both been doing cold baths and showers every day, trying different ways. We now can stay in a cold bath (approx. 20 degrees Celcius) for about 10-15 minutes (Atreides stands it longer). Our body temperature drops to about 20 degrees. And later, we feel great!!

Another benefit so far (this is for women) is that for the first time in my life, not only did I not have ANY PMS symptoms (usually I get swelling and light cramps a week before my period starts), but also my period started and I have 0 cramps, which is SO good!! During the first and second day, I always suffer from bad cramps. Now, nothing, only a headache. :D

I started having cold bath throwing ice in my bathtub (tap water here is awfully lukewarm) for a couple of weeks and then stopped, in spite of feeling great afterward :( Now I see it a good opportunity for reintroducing this practice to enhance as much as possible the IF diet experiment, particularly after what happened to me during June as I went for a swim in the sea. There were great cold waves I scarcely could avoid, when one of them unexpectedly strongly crashed on my back and for some seconds I just stayed there breathless. Now the good thing is from thereon out all the uncomfortable flushes I was getting since I entered menopause totally disappeared for two months and although I still got them now and then, they are much bearable. Also, it seems apart of the cold water and exercising, the shock interestingly played a major role in resetting my body´s ability in regulating itself. I went again this week for another swim and this time spent much more time swimming and playing around in the sea, about 20 minutes, and again was amazed to feel such a deep comforting relax the rest of the day. So I won´t ignore the signs anymore and do what is required :cool2:

ADMIN NOTE: fixed quotes

Approaching Infinity said:
Just a little note on the 3:1 fat to protein ratio, in terms of calories. I did a little bit of math to come up with some idea of what that actually looks like. Fat has 9kcal/g and protein has 4kcal/g, according to wikipedia, so the ratio in terms of grams is 1.3:1 fat to protein. So for my weight (150 lbs), that translates to 105 grams of protein and 140 grams of fat, or approximately 35 pieces of bacon plus a few tablespoons of lard. ;)

Yesterday afternoon for "dinner" I cut up about 15 slices of pre-cooked bacon and added about 3 tablespoons of spiced ghee. Mixed together and heated up a bit - this was great and very easy to get down.

I'm going to start a little kettlebell resistance training today.

Laura said:
hesperides, how many veggies do you eat? How often? What kind? I found that giving them up really helped my rheumatoid arthritis. And if I eat a few a couple days in a row, it flares back up.

I never ate much veggies nor fruits in my life, and when I reluctantly did it was mostly for good health maintenance purposes.... Since one year I´ve been eating mostly green beans, beets, celery, artichoke and fennel, all of them in few quantity, all kind of green salads nearly every night and, don´t hit me, tomatoes, peppers and onions. Now and then I also indulge in a little piece of fresh organic homemade goat cheese and lastly even some occasional red wine or coffee, after 2,5 years staying free from it. Yes I know, I know... :-[ I sometimes wish my body could send me an alert making me aware what feels right or not to my health. The fact that doesn´t help much either is as I made the food reintroduction after two months, as described in the Ultra mind solution, I wasn´t able to detect any discomfort. Also, I never suffered constipation, congestion but some gas when starting the diet that immediately subsided and don´t have to lose weight either. So either I´m the typical silent yeast sufferer or something else is going on. So I guess I´ll start all over again staying at least six months away from any body stressor food.

In my post I forgot mentioning I´m beating myself up with the tobacco issue I have and wonder why nobody in this thread seems to cope with the same issue, which is also why I´m beating myself up :) , lacking feedback, and somehow I believe it to be at least one of the main culprit of my arthrosis issue. I´m aware of the "Is smoking good to your health" thread, but as far as I read, tobacco issues that are discussed there seems having more to do with its price, quality, availability, brands, taste, etc. than its related effect on the health. What happens to me since on KD is I steadily increased my cigarettes consumption as it felt so good and went from 20 up to 28 cig/day and still haven´t found the will to lower it. Why I´m worried about it is due to the throat aching when waking up in the morning together with ears itching that I sense are related, which already started 12 years ago. Hence, I guess my immune system must be overloaded at this stage. I´ve tried several organic brands and don´t enjoy them too much because my mouth will feel soon irritated while the half organic one I´m smoking now has no side effect, at least in the mouth. So I´ve met here with another stepping stone I´ll have to deal with. I also would much appreciate to know from all those of you who were heavy smokers, how did the KD impacts your cigarettes consumption? From what the Cas said about smoking, I didn´t reach to the conclusion that smoking is forever but rather seems to be a way of reactivating our ADN through nicotine in favour of an enhanced thinking ability!

Sorry for jumping in midst of the KD thread, being somewhat off topic.

Thanks Laura for caring!

QuantumLogic said:
If the C's and the current data are accurate, it may become necessary for the loved ones to abruptly change their diets due to food shortages/environmental conditions. If this were to happen in this fashion, it would be good to know first hand what the effects are for such a sudden change in diet would be. I will look for as many studies as I can find, other than the ones listed here on this forum, to read thoroughly in an effort to understand such effects.

FWIW, so far, I haven't seen anything on that. Only our experience. And that is that going off dairy and gluten first, and then reducing carbs/increasing fat gradually seems to be less of a shock. But some of the studies we've been reading seem to have put people on the ketogenic diet directly, and still got good results.

But I think that you need to consider the following:

- That if their systems are really weak, the diet might be too much for them.
- That a LOT of other stress factors might be involved with food shortages, and if your loved ones are not psychologically prepared for it, they might not be able to take it (see the next paper I'll quote from, and the remarks about stress and the diet).
- Everybody has their lessons, as painful as it is for us not to be able to do more. If you have made the information available, and shown the changes with your own example, but they still aren't interested, there is nothing else you can do. You can certainly stock up on good foods for them, but again, their systems might not "want" them if that is not part of their lessons. OSIT.

Many of us have loved ones who we may not have even spoken to about what we have been researching, but will inevitably ask if the situation becomes dire enough. It will be good to know such effects of an abrupt change if the conditions arise.

Perhaps more important than that is to make this information available to them NOW. If it is true that it takes at least 6 weeks to start healing, knowing about it when it's not easy to choose their own food might not do them much good. But also, I think it's dangerous to assume that they will "inevitably ask if the situation becomes dire enough." Have you seen people panicking? Or drug addicts suddenly being deprived of their fix? It's not likely that, if they are used to a drug-like diet (and combined with the programming that goes with it), they'll just say "Oh, please tell me about a healthy diet".

hesperides said:
I never ate much veggies nor fruits in my life, and when I reluctantly did it was mostly for good health maintenance purposes.... Since one year I´ve been eating mostly green beans, beets, celery, artichoke and fennel, all of them in few quantity, all kind of green salads nearly every night and, don´t hit me, tomatoes, peppers and onions. Now and then I also indulge in a little piece of fresh organic homemade goat cheese and lastly even some occasional red wine or coffee, after 2,5 years staying free from it. Yes I know, I know... :-[ I sometimes wish my body could send me an alert making me aware what feels right or not to my health. The fact that doesn´t help much either is as I made the food reintroduction after two months, as described in the Ultra mind solution, I wasn´t able to detect any discomfort. Also, I never suffered constipation, congestion but some gas when starting the diet that immediately subsided and don´t have to lose weight either. So either I´m the typical silent yeast sufferer or something else is going on. So I guess I´ll start all over again staying at least six months away from any body stressor food.

Why should I hit you when your body is doing it for me? Don't complain or seek solutions from the network here unless you really ARE CLEAN and not hiding stuff like this. Why should we spend our time and energy trying to help you when you obviously aren't getting it and are contributing to your own suffering?

hesperides said:
In my post I forgot mentioning I´m beating myself up with the tobacco issue I have and wonder why nobody in this thread seems to cope with the same issue, which is also why I´m beating myself up :) , lacking feedback, and somehow I believe it to be at least one of the main culprit of my arthrosis issue. I´m aware of the "Is smoking good to your health" thread, but as far as I read, tobacco issues that are discussed there seems having more to do with its price, quality, availability, brands, taste, etc. than its related effect on the health. What happens to me since on KD is I steadily increased my cigarettes consumption as it felt so good and went from 20 up to 28 cig/day and still haven´t found the will to lower it. Why I´m worried about it is due to the throat aching when waking up in the morning together with ears itching that I sense are related, which already started 12 years ago. Hence, I guess my immune system must be overloaded at this stage.

The reason nobody is having the same problem is for the same reason you are still in a mess eating and drinking the crap you have listed. The main culprits in your "arthrosis issue" are things you are still eating and drinking and you are clearly NOT on the KD program as we are defining/discussing it. Did you read Gimpy's MS complication thread where it was pointed out that coffee has the same effect as gluten? Are you aware that casein has a similar effect as gluten? That tomatoes and peppers are the chief triggers of arthritic conditions? Do you keep up with the articles we publish in the health and wellness section on SOTT?

As has been said before, if you don't understand something, don't even do it. Knowledge does protect, but a little knowledge, wrongly or ineptly applied is worse than no knowledge at all.

Ailén said:
So, more ATP (the body's "battery"), and a proliferation of the healthy/wild mitochondria, and a clue about possible changes in DNA even when talking about a genetic glitch. Not bad, eh?

and

Ailén said:
It's not just about rejuvenation, of course (although I doubt anybody here would be particularly against it ;)), but about what the body can actually do as a conduit when our cells are in perfect working order. Would it be possible that it activates our "receivership capability"? I guess we'll see...
Completely agree. For the past year or so, I've been experiencing this internal 'hum' in the body on and off. It seems to lessen when I've either had carbs in the past or too much protein and so acts as a sort of gauge if I'm going in the right direction.

So as I reported yesterday, I didn't have the usual diarrhea/nausea that comes with the increase of fats. Because of that, I decided to eat more a few hours before I went to bed (maybe about 1/4 cup with some tea). That extra bit caused a very slight acid reflux reaction that quickly dissipated yet I did feel as if I had to 'go' this morning. Still no diarrhea however which is unusual so it seems that by body may indeed require this increase in fat.

Also this morning, the 'hum' significantly increased as well. For those who may not understand what I'm referring to, it feels as if you're in a vehicle with the engine running but you're not shaking on the outside. It's as if we may have an internal mechanism that runs very much like a car when on it's optimal fuel.

QuantumLogic said:
Here is the worksheet I've made. It isn't pretty, but it works, and can be printed out. You can input your weight, desired number of calories per day, and number of meal per day. We have all been talking about the vast differences in experiences between heavier vs. skinny people. When you plug in various weights, number of meals per day, and desired calories, it becomes very clear that depending on these factors vastly different approaches are required. Hope this helps some of those who were having trouble doing the calculations.

The attachment is a zip file with two versions of the sheet- one for OpenOffice, which is a free program at openoffice.org, and the other for Microsoft Office Excel. If anyone has any suggestions to improve the worksheets, by all means let me know.

Thank you for the sheet QuantumLogic . I did the similar thing for my self. this is pretty good.
The only thing I see is protein to calorie ratio. you put it as 1:4 , that seems to be varying food to food widely

with 1:4 protein to calorie ratio, fat intake is 110 grams.( for 56.7 kg body weight )

for pan fried cooked pork chop (USDA database) protein to calorie ration is 1:6 , it means one needs 170 grams fat
ground beef it is (USDA database ) 70/30 lean cooked pan fried it is almost 1:10 ( one needs 283 grams fat - Looks too high )

I am not sure yet, USDA to be reliable or not yet.

I am not sure how reliable this 2000 cal/day calculation. - but that doesn't matter for our purposes.

Ailén said:
- Everybody has their lessons, as painful as it is for us not to be able to do more. If you have made the information available, and shown the changes with your own example, but they still aren't interested, there is nothing else you can do. You can certainly stock up on good foods for them, but again, their systems might not "want" them if that is not part of their lessons. OSIT.

I have made it available, but they will not take action. So I guess I just have to watch this happen to them. That is going to be so hard. This will be a rough ride, not even counting a food shortage. With these dietary changes, I am feeling more and more isolated- even among my own family members.

Just a report on my experiences in the past few days.

I have been away from home for 5 days, and not had access to organic meat, fat, or bone broth. I have however carried on with the experiment by making do on beef dripping, mackrel, bacon, green beans, and snacks of salami+pate+lettuce in a little burger. All of this was bought from the supermarket and the pate had a little bit of dextrose in it, plus I have been using a teflon pan to cook with.

Still it has been going quite well, though my mood has been quite unstable. I have fluctuated between calm, happy, energetic, anxious, slightly depressed, and lazy. It seems after around 4 hours fasting my mood invariably becomes better. I can think more clearly and seem to have more energy. It is almost a shame to break my fast!

Anyway yesterday was my last day away from home (for now. I will prepare better next time). I ate my last meal before work at around 2pm, and was in work til 12AM. Got to sleep at 1AM and was woken up by my alarm clock at 8AM. I probably could have slept longer and this may have contributed to how I feel today, possibly getting woken up at the wrong part of a sleep cycle.

I felt slightly worse than normal this morning as I got up and started making breakfast. After eating breakfast (1 mackrel fillet, 2 slices of bacon, fried green beans and about 50g beef dripping) and then having a smoke, I felt really weak. I felt grouchy all day, and just generally without much energy.

I returned home at around 11AM today feeling quite tired, but luckily I had some bone broth frozen and I had a large serving of that with lots of salt. I felt better after about half an hour, and went for a ride into the city. I also made some shortbread out of almond flour, butter and stevia, but maybe that was a bad idea. I think I will just stop messing around with things like that and focus solely on the animal products, as nuts are not ideal and eating sweet things only makes the cravings take longer to go away.

I have a large delivery of fat, bones, bacon and liver coming on tuesday, so this will help me get my diet down to the most simple, bare essentials (very cheap too!) and hopefully help me get further into this experiment with the best foods available for it.

One more thing I've noticed is a strange flashing sensation, apparently in my head. A couple of days ago it was raining, and I saw 2 flashes of lightning, yet there was no thunder and nobody else saw it. Last night in work I 'saw' the lights flicker on and off, and again nobody saw it. And just today in the shopping centre I was walking along and another strange flash came.

Maybe this has something to do with the diet and it's effects on the brain? Far too little data to really speculate on it, but just thought I'd mention it.

Laura said:
Laying in the bed hurts from the pressure. The hip joints hurt. It comes on the 2nd or 3rd day and lasts a few hours.

The only thing we can figure, is that this might be a symptom of the upregulating of the stem cell stuff that comes from the long bones of the body where marrow and all that is made. It goes away, but it damn sure kept me up for a night. I thought I was just old and decrepit and that's why I was hurting like that down to my bones, but when it started happening to some of the kids in exactly the same way, we had to think about it.

Some of the guys here actually eat tablespoons of lard straight. Yikes!
I’ve experienced this ‘lying in bed' problem ever since I went into keto – I still get it occasionally, possibly I’m moving in and out of full-keto into a milder form of it.

When I was away last week, I took a small jar of lard with me, and had a couple of teaspoons with my breakfast :), as I wasn’t sure what the bacon was cooked in – in fact it looked like it was just grilled. But it put the needed fat back in, along with several small ‘pats’ of butter. At lunchtime I asked for butter too, as they only had ‘margarine’ available (the place, a spa, was into ‘healthy eating’, ie, low fat :)), I also took my own sea salt, as there was none on the table – ‘healthy eating’ again!!! :)

Mr Scott said:
So, maybe for some people, they need a LOT of extra fat when they go full-keto, for whatever reason.

I think that may apply to me, a skinny, I eat a lot of fat and lots of butter with each meal. I notice that my weight has increased and I now have a layer of fat around my middle.

Mr Scott said:
… The figures I found for ground pork all agreed, and they were basically:

50% water
25% protein
22% fat
3% minerals and other goodies (there are a LOT of minerals and goodies in pork!)
Approaching Infinity said:
Just a little note on the 3:1 fat to protein ratio, in terms of calories. I did a little bit of math to come up with some idea of what that actually looks like. Fat has 9kcal/g and protein has 4kcal/g, according to wikipedia, so the ratio in terms of grams is 1.3:1 fat to protein. So for my weight (150 lbs), that translates to 105 grams of protein and 140 grams of fat, or approximately 35 pieces of bacon plus a few tablespoons of lard.
I seem to have got this sorted by default on my behalf, as the sausage patties I make have an additional 10 per cent fat added to them in the summer and up top 20 per cent in the winter, plus eating butter with them too. :)

Back
Top Bottom