Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Going cold Turkey ok? No gluten, no dairy, no carbs.

I'm stressed, easy to anger, and eat the wrong things. Eventually it had to come to an end. I've always wanted to go Paleo but wanting and doing are two diff things but now I've made the choice to go paleo without making any effort. The decision just happened today, I've eaten the wrong things for too long.

So thanks for all the replies. I was hoping to just jump in. I've ordered that book, thanks Laura. Thing is, just so much to read and like so many so little time. I'm more of an avid SOTT reader and have been for years but not really a forum reader so not up to date with everything here.

There is a great online free range butcher I know and I buy my dogs raw food there and I've been wanting to buy more food for me since her diet is so much better than mine. And I've been thinking that I really need to eat more like my dog except cook the food first.

Jamie

I'm reading 'Keto - Adapted', making a list of supplements to buy, bought a freezer so I can buy meat in bulk and store pre-made meals and reading the Ketogenic Diet thread on this forum. On this forum I've read several times people suggesting to immediately cut out gluten and dairy but phasing yourself off your old diet and onto the Keto diet. But I haven't read (yet) why you cant jump in if you know what you are doing. Would changing from old diet one day to a full keto diet be harmful? I wonder if a fast to prestart the Ketosis is a good idea? Also does anyone know how to freeze food in plastic free containers?

mugatea said:
I'm reading 'Keto - Adapted', making a list of supplements to buy, bought a freezer so I can buy meat in bulk and store pre-made meals and reading the Ketogenic Diet thread on this forum. On this forum I've read several times people suggesting to immediately cut out gluten and dairy but phasing yourself off your old diet and onto the Keto diet. But I haven't read (yet) why you cant jump in if you know what you are doing. Would changing from old diet one day to a full keto diet be harmful? I wonder if a fast to prestart the Ketosis is a good idea? Also does anyone know how to freeze food in plastic free containers?

I think whether or not to go cold turkey depends on your larticular situation. Going cold turkey without knowing what to do will increase the risk of you failing. However, if you know what you are doing, going cold turkey is ok. That's what I did. But I was already paleo, so the jump was not too painful. Going from a SAD straight into KD is going to be painful, no matter what. I personally still would advocate a more gradual approach, like cutting all gluten for a week first, then dairy, alcohol, coffee etc for another week, then gradually reduce carbs (while keeping protein up with moderate amounts of fat) and then start to reduce protein and further increase fat until you reach the desired levels.

Another thing which might interfere are foods you are allergic too, so an elimination diet prior to going keto really helps. Because if you go keto straight away and you are trying to sort out allergies at the same time this is likely going to be a difficult thing.

Fasting a day or two as you transition boosts your ketone levels and is probably beneficial.

As for freezing, I use glass containers (with a plastic lid) and make sure that the content doesn't come into contact with the lid. Canning in glass jars is also a good alternative, as it doesn't require power.

Mind you, this is just my take on your questions, but others might chime in too to give their point of view.

Hope that helps!

mugatea said:

I think the current consensus is that it is better to go straight to keto IF (and it is a big and very important IF) you know what you are doing, what to expect, how to mitigate unpleasant symptoms, etc. The main problem with transitioning to keto is the huge amount of fat intake (compared to what you was eating) necessary on the new diet. There are a few things that can help. Appetite-wise, there is the keto fat bomb recipe to help you down the fat without difficulties (it's quite delicious). Digestion-wise, taking betaine HCl and ox bile, dividing the fat in multiple meals throughout the day and never eating late in the evening will help. Intermittent fasting will also help a lot in jump-starting your keto adaptation.

Again, the above is only a very brief summary off the top of my head. It is essential to read on the topic and really know what you are doing first before starting.

I wouldn't discount cravings as well. If you cold turkey with everything at once, cravings will set in. They will anyway, but dealing with them one at a time is much less stressful than handling gluten, sugar and maybe coffee cravings all at once! Also, for some reason, after having cut out gluten, it's easier to cut out sugar (not the other way around), so following a certain protocol def. helps.

M.T.

Thanks for your replies. I'm still reading threads on this forum and the book so just making changes rather than jumping in like I wanted. This week I tried to cut out dairy and gluten but then found some of the foods (roasted cashews) I have eaten have contained both wheat and milk!!!! So I can only say I'm on a very low milk and gluten diet until I have money and time to do all my cooking which is my plan. This week I've also dropped my carbs loads, drinking lots of water and redbush tea, rather than coke and sugar/milk in coffee and well increased my fat and also eating a lot of meat as well not eating after 6pm. I've read enough to know that supplements arent needed for keto but will get some good probiotics soon.

Can someone explain to me something please? Using the Keto calculator it says I should eat around 90g of protien a day. That works out at 22 rashers of bacon or over 400g of minced beef if I've calculated right. That seems too much to me. Could that be right? Also calculation says 233g of fat based on my 20g of carb entry.

Mugatea, ketocalculators tend to recommend too much protein, especially during keto-adaptation. Later protein intake should be reduced. While you can overeat protein at the initial stages, especially if you are finding ketoadaptation troublesome, it is good to keep these numbers (based on longevity research) in mind:

- 0.8 grams per kilo if you are sedentary
- 1 grams per kilo if you are lightly active
- 1.2 grams per kilo if you are moderately active
- 1.5 grams per kilo if you are highly active

The following is a good equation to determine the amount of fat in grams you need to consume: Fat grams = (calories * (0.8 to 0.7)) / 9. For example, if you are aiming for 1400 calories a day with 80% of those calories coming from fat intake, then (1400 * 0.8) / 9 = 124 g of fat per day.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Gaby.

OK then at 70 kilos @1.2 grams thats around 84 grams of protein. A calorie calc says I need 2500 to stay same weight which gives me a fat total if 222g. So that seems not too far off what keto calculator worked out.

84 grams seem a normal amount? Seems a lot

Jamie

mugatea said:
Thanks Gaby.

OK then at 70 kilos @1.2 grams thats around 84 grams of protein. A calorie calc says I need 2500 to stay same weight which gives me a fat total if 222g. So that seems not too far off what keto calculator worked out.

84 grams seem a normal amount? Seems a lot

Jamie

That doesn't sound like so much. You could hit those targets with something like:
2 sausages, some bacon, and butter for breakfast
Fried salmon fillets, or pork belly for lunch (with green beans fried, and butter)
"Fat bomb"
Tin of sardines in early evening.

If you tolerate eggs well (I don't), then this is a whole lot easier. Say you scramble 4 of them and add insane amounts of fat (which will emulsify), and cover in butter, it can become something like 25g protein, 80g fat. Takes 5-10 minutes.

Thanks!

It's more food than I thought. I was thinking 2 meals a day. Anyway, I'll continue learning more and prepare. I'm having duck eggs, scrambled with lots of butter and a streak for breaky. Is Fish ok? I thought it was mercury ridden!?

JAmie

Ok, it seems I'm having problems working out the nutrients in food. Websites are varying wildy in nutrition data. Just read a Tesco label for bacon and two rashers give 13.4grams of protein which would be around 12.5 rashers I'd need which is half the amount of bacon I'd need from the data I've found elsewhere. Anyone have a trustworthy source for nutrition data?

mugatea said:
Is Fish ok? I thought it was mercury ridden!?

Depends on the fish - as a general rule, the smaller the fish, the lower down in the food chain, the less mercury. Tuna is bad, salmon pretty ok, sardines ok.

On top of that you need to know where the fish was caught - Pacific ocean is very bad, because of the radioactive contamination by the Fukushima reactor catastrophy.

mugatea said:
Ok, it seems I'm having problems working out the nutrients in food. Websites are varying wildy in nutrition data. Just read a Tesco label for bacon and two rashers give 13.4grams of protein which would be around 12.5 rashers I'd need which is half the amount of bacon I'd need from the data I've found elsewhere. Anyone have a trustworthy source for nutrition data?

Are you confusing back bacon with streaky bacon? Back bacon is pretty useless unless you really need more protein. It's also dry and not so delicious.

nicklebleu said:
mugatea said:
On top of that you need to know where the fish was caught - Pacific ocean is very bad, because of the radioactive contamination by the Fukushima reactor catastrophy.

Yeah, stay away from that stuff. With canned fish, there's also probably some problem with BPA and other chemicals. It's a risk I take just for the convenience and low cost, now and then.

nicklebleu said:
mugatea said:

Depends on the fish - as a general rule, the smaller the fish, the lower down in the food chain, the less mercury. Tuna is bad, salmon pretty ok, sardines ok.

There was also discussion and some articles about selenium in fish, which binds with mercury and prevents its absorption, making fish safe despite the mercury. Available articles concerning this are somewhat contradictory, so it seems we don't know for sure.

Arguing that mercury-laden fish is (relatively) safe:
http://www.sott.net/article/248374-Is-eating-fish-safe
http://www.sott.net/article/248375-EERC-Research-Finds-Mercury-Levels-in-Freshwater-and-Ocean-Fish-Not-as-Harmful-as-Previously-Thought

Arguing it's not safe:
http://www.sott.net/article/235635-Mercury-in-Fish-Harms-Immune-System

Carl said:
Are you confusing back bacon with streaky bacon? Back bacon is pretty useless unless you really need more protein. It's also dry and not so delicious.

Just had some streaky bacon. Tasty! Since I'm in UK we all tend to eat the back bacon. Thanks for the replies, I'll keep researching and if I need to ask anything, I'll ask here. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom