Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Gaby said:
[...] "When we are burning ketones from fat as our primary fuel source, our thyroid just doesn't have to work as hard as it does when it's got to manage bodily metabolism on a less-preferred fuel (glucose). When our organs, against their better judgment, are required to metabolize sugar over fat, more T3 is needed to deal with this less-than-ideal scenario. Our thyroid has to work overtime, and somebody -poor T3!- has got to do the job. But burn fat for fuel instead, and T3 gets to stay home and put its feet up." - Dr. Chris Decker.

Thanks for the article Gaby. What is your opinion of alternately switching from ketosis to sugar-burning mode at 3-4 day intervals? Maria Emmerich recommends doing this in Keto-adapted to prevent the thyroid from becoming "lazy" (Im not sure what this implies). I'd really appreciate if you could shed some light on this :)

Keyhole said:
Thanks for the article Gaby. What is your opinion of alternately switching from ketosis to sugar-burning mode at 3-4 day intervals? Maria Emmerich recommends doing this in Keto-adapted to prevent the thyroid from becoming "lazy" (Im not sure what this implies). I'd really appreciate if you could shed some light on this :)

Yeah, she relates how overeating on some days keeps they thyroid stimulated, "tones up metabolism" where the thyroid gland has to keep up with availability of food. She gives the example that eating the same quantity every single day, at the same time, can make the thyroid lazy. This research has been around for some time and we actually have a thread somewhere in this forum about it, but I cannot find it right now :/

I remember reading a testimonial from one of Emmerich's clients. This person was surprised that by overeating, her weight dropped even further the day afterwards. Prior to that, she was weighting the same and could not drop weight despite not overeating.

I think that ideally, this should come naturally. Some days you are very hungry and you overeat. The next day, you might feel very full and would rather skip a meal, like doing a natural intermittent fasting.

Some people recommend overeating carbs, others (including Emmerich) recommends to do it with protein.

I guess that the choice depends on the individual. If I'm too carb sensitive, I rather do it with protein. Mostly because I would be having a hard time avoiding carbs due to cravings. This article sheds some light as to why it can be so difficult for some to control their carb cravings:

http://www.sott.net/article/293084-Heres-what-happens-to-your-brain-when-you-give-up-sugar

There are four major components of addiction: bingeing, withdrawal, craving, and cross-sensitisation (the notion that one addictive substance predisposes someone to becoming addicted to another).[...] Like drugs, sugar spikes dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens. Over the long term, regular sugar consumption actually changes the gene expression and availability of dopamine receptors in both the midbrain and frontal cortex.

Gaby said:
I think that ideally, this should come naturally. Some days you are very hungry and you overeat. The next day, you might feel very full and would rather skip a meal, like doing a natural intermittent fasting.

Some people recommend overeating carbs, others (including Emmerich) recommends to do it with protein.

I guess that the choice depends on the individual. If I'm too carb sensitive, I rather do it with protein. Mostly because I would be having a hard time avoiding carbs due to cravings.
I often find that someday's I do naturally feel more hungry and don't even weigh out my protein, and then if I'm not satiated go up for seconds ;D

And overeating carbs never seems to do me any good either, I always feel bloated and as you said - get lots of cravings!

Gaby said:
http://www.sott.net/article/293084-Heres-what-happens-to-your-brain-when-you-give-up-sugar

There are four major components of addiction: bingeing, withdrawal, craving, and cross-sensitisation (the notion that one addictive substance predisposes someone to becoming addicted to another).[...] Like drugs, sugar spikes dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens. Over the long term, regular sugar consumption actually changes the gene expression and availability of dopamine receptors in both the midbrain and frontal cortex.

Awesome article! thanks again. Interesting to learn about the neuroscience of it as well because I will be studying this subject at university in september. I think Panksepp spoke about studies on rats/mice when given sugary solutions also, and how it aroused the SEEKING system. Impulsive, addictive and irrational behaviours all stemmed back to this artificial over-arousal of the SEEKING system. It works out to be a great method of control, keeping everyone addicted waiting for their next fix. Don't miss the sugar one bit! :D

Gaby said:
Yeah, if milk thistle gives you bloating, I would stop. If you still feel you need liver protection, you can try alpha lipoic acid which will also protect you against the oxidizing effects of iron overload.

For detox purposes, I alternated FIR sauna with cold showers and several supplements including vitamin D3, minerals, french oak extract, alpha lipoic acid, CoQ10 and several others. I also did vitamin C, but my ferritin levels are low. A friend from Dominican Republic gave me her favorite local hair treatment: coconut oil rinse. I always meant to do coconut oil hair treatments, but she beat me to it by giving me the rinse. That seems to work very well against dandruff as well. I don't know what stopped the hair loss, but FWIW. :)

Thanks for all the info Gaby. Interesting about the coconut oil rinse for dandruff. I've been doing some reading recently on colloidal silver and one of it's uses is treating dandruff. Some people have reported success with lifelong dandruff problems by spraying their hair/scalp with CS after showering. It appears to have the same anti fungal effect as coconut oil. I haven't tried this myself, but after having recently taken CS internally for several weeks, my dandruff has lessened to the point where it is now minimal. CS is also effective as a deodorant due to it's effect on the odour producing bacteria that go to work when we perspire.

Sorry guys just got the internet back today, thank you for all the info! Been reading back through keto-adapted, taking 6 OxBile, 6 HCL's, different probiotics with both lactobacillus acidophilus & bifidobacteria bifidum in.. also bought 6 huge tubs of fermented sauerkraut, started eating insoluble fibre veg such as carrots and turnips, also started adding lots of cinnamon and ginger to anything I can..

No massive improvements just as yet, exhibiting major mood swings, but I'm experimenting!

I figured it may have something to do with my liver..

signs of a toxic liver include weight gain, depression, cellulite, abdominal bloating, indigestion, fatigue, modd swings, HBP, elevated cholesterol, and skin rashes.

So, I've also started trying to detox my liver somewhat with plently of milk thistle.

Also, taking L-carnitive instead of CoQ10, and L-glutamine.. could also do with having Estrofactors.. but all this gut healing business is proving rather expensive :O

lilyalic said:
Also, taking L-carnitive instead of CoQ10, and L-glutamine.. could also do with having Estrofactors.. but all this gut healing business is proving rather expensive :O

The price of health is certainly high! Although once you have cleared things up the supplements can be decreased. I remember at first I was spending about £100 every two months on supplements but now only the only ones taken daily are melatonin ad magnesium, the occasional pottasium, L glutamine and acetyl L carnitine. Coq10 is extremely pricey and can actually be found in high amounts in beef heart!

Keyhole said:
lilyalic said:

The price of health is certainly high! Although once you have cleared things up the supplements can be decreased. I remember at first I was spending about £100 every two months on supplements but now only the only ones taken daily are melatonin ad magnesium, the occasional pottasium, L glutamine and acetyl L carnitine. Coq10 is extremely pricey and can actually be found in high amounts in beef heart!

Yeah I've spent nearly £100 to help with the gut healing I'm really attempting at the moment.. thanks for the info about beef heart!

lilyalic said:

Have you tried searching for supplements on the i-net and considered also importing from the i.e. USA (if feasible)? Because in the past it did help a lot getting supplements from a another country. But I know it can be pricey, but it's for your health ans should be worth the money :).

Gawan said:
lilyalic said:

Have you tried searching for supplements on the i-net and considered also importing from the i.e. USA (if feasible)? Because in the past it did help a lot getting supplements from a another country. But I know it can be pricey, but it's for your health ans should be worth the money :).

The main sites I tend to use are Amazon and Ebay, some supplements are important from abroad yeah, I should definitely use initiative and just google search them also. :)

lilyalic said:
Gawan said:
lilyalic said:

The main sites I tend to use are Amazon and Ebay, some supplements are important from abroad yeah, I should definitely use initiative and just google search them also. :)

Definitely go for iherb!! For some brands you are literally paying a quarter or half the price. When you get them delivered make sure you buy a few months worth though, because you do have to pay a customs fee of about £50 at a time. But that £50 added is still much cheaper than Amazon or Ebay. These guys have also got some really good deals on organic herbs and spices. We buy turmeric, cinnamon and other herbs in big packets of like 500g which can last for a long time. They also have some real nice gluten free soaps and shampoos which are cheap aswell :D

Heres the link

http://uk.iherb.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA1NWnBRDchObfnYrbo78BEiQA-2jqBR-ZOVB_TUkXB10t18kvsvN8P8LZhquDmZSlFQRyjukaAv0Y8P8HAQ

Keyhole said:
Definitely go for iherb!! For some brands you are literally paying a quarter or half the price. When you get them delivered make sure you buy a few months worth though, because you do have to pay a customs fee of about £50 at a time. But that £50 added is still much cheaper than Amazon or Ebay. These guys have also got some really good deals on organic herbs and spices. We buy turmeric, cinnamon and other herbs in big packets of like 500g which can last for a long time. They also have some real nice gluten free soaps and shampoos which are cheap aswell :D

Heres the link

http://uk.iherb.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA1NWnBRDchObfnYrbo78BEiQA-2jqBR-ZOVB_TUkXB10t18kvsvN8P8LZhquDmZSlFQRyjukaAv0Y8P8HAQ

Thank you Keyhole! I'll probably be ordering from iHerb within the next few weeks :)

I remembered that the C's said in one of the waves that taking Goldenseal Root helped with flouride detox, well I looked Goldenseal Root up today and it seems to have many health benefits... especially having the chemical called Berberine in..

Goldenseal is an herb. The dried root is used to make medicine.

Goldenseal is used for many conditions, but so far, there isn’t enough scientific evidence to determine whether or not it is effective for any of them.

We do know that goldenseal isn’t effective for its most famous use, masking illegal drugs in the urine. Despite rumors to the contrary, goldenseal won’t cause false-negative results for marijuana, cocaine, amphetamines or numerous other illegal drugs. Interestingly, the idea of using goldenseal to alter drug screen results came from the novel Stringtown on the Pike, by the pharmacist John Uri Lloyd. However, in this book, goldenseal caused a false-positive for strychnine poisoning, not illegal drugs.

Goldenseal is also used for the common cold and other upper respiratory tract infections, as well as stuffy nose and hay fever. Some people use goldenseal for digestive disorders including stomach pain and swelling (gastritis), peptic ulcers, colitis, diarrhea, constipation, hemorrhoids, and intestinal gas.

Goldenseal is used for urinary tract infections (UTIs), internal bleeding, bleeding after childbirth, liver disorders, cancer, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), jaundice, gonorrhea, fever, pneumonia, malaria, whooping cough, and an eating disorder called anorexia.

Women use goldenseal for vaginal pain and swelling and menstrual period problems.

Goldenseal is applied to the skin for rashes, ulcers, wound infections, itching, eczema, acne, dandruff, ringworm, herpes blisters, and cold sores. It is used as a mouthwash for sore gums and mouth.

Some people use goldenseal as an eyewash for eye inflammation and eye infections called conjunctivitis, or “pink eye.”

Goldenseal is used in the ears for ringing, earache, and deafness.

Goldenseal is commonly found in the deep woods from Vermont to Arkansas and received its name from the golden-yellow scars on the base of the stem. When the stem is broken, the scar resembles a gold wax letter seal.

How does it work?
Goldenseal contains the chemical berberine, which might have effects against bacteria and fungi. For example, it can prevent the bacteria Escherichia coli (E. coli) from binding to urinary tract walls. Berberine also has properties that can lower blood pressure and improve irregular heartbeats. In addition, early research suggests that berberine can lower blood sugar and “bad” low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.

Many of the important chemicals in goldenseal are poorly absorbed when taken by mouth and might not reach the concentrations needed to have significant effects in humans. So, it is unknown whether goldenseal has the same benefits as berberine.

Gut healing/ liver detoxing for 2 weeks so far....

I've had 3 days full of detoxification symptoms; headaches, diarrhea, fatigue, nausea etc. The diarrhea has been real bad! but non the less, it was needed.

The diarrhea stopped today thankfully, and I'm eating a little less.. good thing is NO BLOATING!!! anymore, I'm guessing it was the anti-candida, probiotics and definitely the Ox bile that helped with digesting.

here's a list of the supplements I'm currently taking.

Morning: L-glutamine, L-carnitine, Milk thistle powder, Anti-candida tablets, Magnesium threonate, Cod liver oil & Omega

Before Breakfast: Evening primrose oil x2, Vitamin D x2, Pottasium x3, Anti-candida, Probiotic, 3x Betaine HCL with Pepsin, 2x Ox Bile & 1x Taurine
a Zinc afterwards.

I usually have a little bit of protein, along with carrot & turnip mashed with loads of butter for insoluble fibre (not enough to go over 5g carb), and plenty of raw fermented sauerkraut with both meals.

Before next meal: 3x HCL, 2x Ox Bile, Anti-candida & probiotic

Usually just protein with plenty of fat & sauerkraut

Before bed: Magnesium malate & started taking 2x Activated Charcoal to help with the detoxing.

I'm just a little confused as to when I would be able to cut down, I'm under the impression I'll probably have to go and see some sort of doctor soon to test for everything because I'm a little out of my depth now. Also exhibiting some sort of white particles in my urine, which I looked up and it refers to some sort of kidney stones? I'm not sure what I trust anymore!

Back
Top Bottom